Don't buy a HomePod

Don't buy a HomePod.
It sounds amazing but Siri is too dumb to function, can't use any streaming service other than Apple Music (although you can play music through AirPlay which is basically just a Bluetooth connection), and can't be used to control the content playing on your television.
It can't even recognize separate voices, meaning basically anyone nearby can ask Siri to read your latest messages out loud.
Also, HomeKit is clunky. Just avoid it.

>implying I'd ever consider wiretapping myself.

Thanks, I'm glad you're there to make decisions for me.

hmmm

>hmmm
Back to plebbit faggot

You made a bad decision.
Alexa is capable of carrying out lots of actions and Google Home can answers tons of questions. HomePod does basically nothing but play music, and only music from one database at that.

>it sounds amazing
lol

Hes obviously buying a speaker to, you know, USE IT AS A SPEAKER. I don't think he gives too many shits whether Siri is able to tell him the circumference of his penis.

Considering the size of that thing and how loud it gets without distorting, it does sound really good. I was worried about everything being drowned out by bass but it actually keeps everything measured so that nothing is overpowered.
Still, not a great smart speaker, though. Mostly just a speaker.

>$349 vs $130
>literally only a fraction useful as an alexa
This is honestly the stupidest product apple has released yet.

Then why not buy a standalone speaker? There are tons of better options for that price point if you're ONLY looking for the speaker aspect of things.

>There are tons of better options for that price point if you're ONLY looking for the speaker aspect of things.
No there isn't. Look at all of that fancy shit inside.

The closest rivaling speaker to this is Google Home Max, and that's even more expensive at $400.

why would you pay to be spied on? It makes zero sense.

You could buy Yamaha HS5s - a studio-grade mixing/mastering set of monitors - for $250. They don't come with any software shit built in and thus they are "dumb" speakers, but they run miles and miles around the HomePod in terms of sound quality and cost less.
If you're only looking for a speaker, there are much better options.

Then name them, name others speakers that provide this tier of functionality, all while sounding this good. (You can't)

Why come into a thread of shit you don't like just to get (You's)?

Google Home and Alexa both sound worse but provide greater functionality because their assistants are smarter and can do more.
Yamaha HS5s () sound much, much better but are strictly speakers with no software built in.
All of those options are cheaper than the HomePod.

I literally do not see a point to a homepod anyway. 1) you can't use two together for stereo sound yet, and 2) if you're already bought into the Apple ecosystem, you own at least one Siri device already, so why not just not just buy actual stereo Bluetooth speakers for WAY WAY less money and connect them to your other Siri enabled device for already better functionality because you have stereo sound output.

If Steve Jobs was still alive, he'd never let this thing launch unfinished, and he'd probably discontinue the time capsule, and launch the homepod as an airport base station and time machine storage device

>hey wiretap, can cats eat pancakes?
The only time I'll consider a "smart speaker" is when it runs a FOSS OS, FOSS software and processes all the sound locally.

>1) you can't use two together for stereo sound yet
Because you only need one. The base is surrounded by speakers firing in all directions, so left channel gets fired to the left while right to the right. It creates the illusion of stereo from one body.
>2)if you're already bought into the Apple ecosystem, you own at least one Siri device already, so why not just not just buy actual stereo Bluetooth speakers for WAY WAY less money and connect them to your other Siri enabled device for already better functionality because you have stereo sound output.
This I can't argue with. I was going to use the HomeKit argument but then I remembered, the Siri that lives on your phone can also control HomeKit.

That's the point, this is the middle ground and it provides to best option for those intergrated in the Apple eco-system. Nobody is saying go out and buy this if you own an Android phone, quite literally, you can't even use it.

> Apple is now a speaker company because they are unable to produce reasonable computers of software.

>I WANT my smart speaker to be dumb and sound like shit for $400

Are you retarded or just pretending?

I'm a mactoddler and even I can't defend this.

>Sound likes shit
Stop being retarded
>Siri is dumb
What actual pratical functionality do you get either of these assistants that is enough for me to go out and buy a completly seperate phone just to use them?

Sounds like shit*

*Compared to other dedicated speakers in its price range.

Post a comparison.

Google Assistant can understand a lot of complex questions and commands; this makes interaction with it a lot easier than with Siri.
With Siri, you have to think about how you construct sentences very, very carefully and even then it might not respond to you correctly. 80% of the time she just pulls up a big dumb Bing search for whatever you just said.

see

$350 for 1.0 sound system that's also a botnet. No thanks.

I told you, I don't give a flying fuck whether Alexa can tell me the distance between earth and the nearest asteroid. Siri can tell me the whether, tell me whether there's traffic on the road, call the people I need to, send a text if I need to and answer any pracitcal questions I've ever had. I'm not going to switch phones cause of a smart assistant.

That's not a comparision.

HomePod can't do quite simple things like keep more than one timer at a time. Nobody gives a fuck about esoteric questions about asteroids; it's about simple shit that Siri can't do.

It's weird that you ask so little of a massive company like Apple and when they fail to deliver, you still defend them.

LIKE what? Set more then a single timer?

Set more than one timer, recognize seperate voices (to avoid leakage of personal information or accidental triggers), play music from more than one service, etc etc.
Siri in HomePod is just too limited to be useful at all.

Maybe in the future Siri will get significant updates and will once again be the queen of personal assistants.

> doing one thing well
>costing less money
>shit
>does several things badly
>costs more money
>greatest thing ever made
Why do applel fags defend this shit?

I haven't heard the thing, but there's no way the stereo imaging is any good with just one speaker.

To normies it doesn't matter, but to a lot of people it does.

When Apple makes it possible to use two in tandem for stereo with automatic stereo image optimization and room correction, and maybe even four for surround sound, I think it'd be a great product.

> talking about which flavour of wiretap to put into your house
So this is Sup Forums in 2018.

Yamaha thing + chromecast audio + google home mini is still cheaper than appleshit

I know you can't use anything other than an airplay connection as a source for HomePod, but can you use HomePod as a source for, say, a receiver that has bluetooth? I'd like to be able to use siri for shit, but I'd also like to be able to listen to music through my home theater speakers.

just buy a hifi setup if you want good audio. Just buy one of those amazon pucks if you want a voice assistant. It's that simple.

There's no helping Appletard subhumans, they don't care about quality, they don't care about performance, they don't care about value, they don't care about freedom. They only care about their soy emblem.

Steve Jobs invented the modern cell phone. The other dude is just some nerd.

Wrong.