Sup Forumsirgin here

Why do you care about "music"? There are much more entertaining art forms out here such as videogames or even cinema. Hell there's muisc on them why even bother listening to it separetely. It can barely keep your full attention on its own.

Other urls found in this thread:

smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/video-games-are-officially-art-according-to-the-moma-150115811/?no-ist
americanart.si.edu/exhibitions/archive/2012/games/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

look at that fat axl

lol so fat

>It can barely keep your full attention on its own

Don't blame music for your own stupidity user

Music is more versatile. I can't play a video game while driving or doing homework. Also, music is a more "pure" art form. What I mean by that is that we are almost getting the artists exact vision of how the art should sound. Video games are created by large teams of people with conflicting views, so the game becomes more of a product than a piece of art.

I still play video games, but I also listen to music. There's a time and place for everything.

is this bait?

vidya has no masterpieces, shit art form desu

I like how it sounds
You can like how something sounds without dividing your attention between it and something else btw

I literally thought the same way when I was 14..

Then I grew up and then I found music I actually liked.

Grow up, faggot.

Video games don't have artistic merit since they are more focused on creating a power fantasy. Gameplay mechanics distract from any worthwhile statement they try to make so it's not worth the time and effort.

Video games are not art, faggot.

Lol video games

Except for like shadow of the colossus, red dead redemption, new vegas, soulsborne games, Mario Galaxy, the wind waker, the list goes on and on...

Music is a representation of something that can only be expressed with music.

>it can barely keep your full attention on its own

maybe if you didn't play so many games you wouldn't have an attention deficiency bby

maybe if you didn't have such shit taste it would hold your attention senpai

maybe after you go through puberty you'll develop the faculty necessary to appreciate music better desu

lol

Read it and weep my hipster friends

smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/video-games-are-officially-art-according-to-the-moma-150115811/?no-ist

Not true.

I like video games but recently the media form has gone down the shithole and seeing what's posted on Sup Forums doesn't help. There's only a handful of video games I'm interested in coming out anytime soon and really I just don't feel like playing them much anymore and the industry being fucking awful is part of the reason for that.

Music and movies are much better. Even with most mainstream movies being how they are the industry still isn't as shitty as with video games and the indie scene in both music and movies is a hell of a lot better.

And with music being so easy to make these days compared to movies and especially video games there's a lot more coming out meaning there's a lot of good stuff coming out.

>red dead redemption, new vegas, soulsborne games
lmao

i'll give you the rest, they come close enough

>officially

Just because the dictionary says so doesn't make it any less autistic

this pretty much
I bet OP hasn't read a book that wasn't a strategy guide

I'm sorry to tell you this my senpai but I think I'll consider the opinions of an actual art museum over your own worthless ones

literature > music > (POWER GAP) cinema > television > vidya

>I bet OP hasn't read a book that wasn't a strategy guide

Kek

How about I enjoy all forms of media because they can all uniquely give experiences? Man, that's a crazy idea huh?

Yes yes, the kids these days just don't know what art is with all this newfangled technology. Time for your nap, grandpa.

>literature better than music

why do people always say this

Why don't we all eat our shit and drink our vomit since they can uniquely give experiences?

>There are much more entertaining art forms out here such as videogames

Is pressing X to Jason art now?

i feel triggered

lmfao at these hipster tryhards acting like they never even dreamed of touching a video game since they started growing hair on their nuts, in order to fit in with the clique

never change Sup Forums

I think (or hope at least) that movies and music have just existed for longer, and have at this point kind of overcome that saturation that vidya is now facing, and that vidya will come around at some point. 'Cause right now the AAA industry is fucked, and the indie market is so flooded it's hard to find the gems.

read dostoevsky pleb, then come back and talk shit...

>tfw 22 now and have mostly grown out of video games

I can play 30-45 minutes of an old favorite every once in a while, but they're mostly boring and unfulfilling now. Music is an immensely more enriching art form and I pity those who can't get into it.

Because it's true

how? what makes literature better?

holy shit lad

Because it demands an effort to be experienced from the reader.

Film, music, visual arts can be experienced effortlessly because they are inflicted upon you.

Literature must be approached, a book must be opened and read comprehensively, taken into the mind and processed.

There's not really a "kitsch" form of literature. I mean there is, but it's nothing like a "top 40" for people with little to no interest in music as an artform

music is just some entertaining shit you listen to that sounds good when you're bored, not too different to playing video games really

please don't even try to make it out like it's some deep and moving experience my dude, it really isn't

is this reddit or something?
this guy gets it

This

I have to be drunk to play vidya for longer than an hour

Literature>Sculpture>Painting>Architecture>Cinema>Television

>videogames
>art

>39 replies
Retards

Hopefully. But even if that's the case that doesn't help us right now if they straighten up in 50-60 years or more.

Everything except the top few hundred masterpieces in literature are "kitsch". I mean you can go to /lit/ and see people laughing at other anons for reading "genre fiction" which is basically everything that doesn't have its head firmly planted in its ass.

But couldn't you say that about video games as well? Video Games need to be played and need the player to give an input and even being good at it for it to work. The player need to approach the game and not vice versa.

It all boils down to it being a matter of taste
I love videogames, because they combine so many forms of art into one big spectacle.
It can be all consuming. I love just soaking up the atmosphere driving around on my horse in the witcher 3. great music in the witcher.

but listening to music on its own can confront me with deeply rooted feelings, get me extremely hype, make me cry, laugh, dance and sing, and even forget about everything. Remind me of all the good things i've done, and confront me with the bad things. It's a free medium for any artist to speak about how they feel and think about things. From NWA to Joanna Newsom. It goes all over the emotional spectrum.
it can make profound moments in your life even more profound just by it being played at the moment. Then you play it years later, and you feel as if you were back at that time and place.

Even more fascinating it gets when you dive under the hood. How does music work?
How do I make my own?
Music Theory, synthesis, algorithms.
How do I feel about this and how do I express that?
Learn to play an instrument, developing a bond with the instrument.
How do I make this conceptual idea that I have come to life in sound?

Music is, for me, not unlike games, very much about participation. Communication. Conceptualization. Feelings. Telling stories.

With games, mostly, though, the participation is more laid out for you, in music you'll have to find your own way.

This doesn't make one better than the other.

Kill yourself, cancer.

music>literature because you can't experiment or break the rules with the english language the same way you can with sound. you try to write a book with words that aren't actually words and it just comes out nonsensical junk. literature by definition has to adhere to a pretty strict format, and that limits it's artistic abilities.

>comprehensively, taken into the mind and processed.

are you implying that albums/pieces of music aren't the same way? what the fuck kind of music do you listen to.

>music is just some entertaining shit you listen to that sounds good when you're bored

not true, I listen to music almost all day and not because I'm bored. when I'm bored I masturbate or play a video game or take a walk. music is a very engaging experience, unless you are just listening to shallow pop.

you definitely couldn't say that about games today. they basically play themselves. how sad that dark souls is one of very few games today that requires effort.

yeah i like Sup Forumssic. video game soundtracks, tarantino soundtracks, the list goes on...

:D

painting is obviously better than sculpture, what are you talking about?

>implying video games aren't art

You already lost this argument. They are accepted by art by multiple credible museums the world over. It's not even an argument worth entertaining anymore; you are every bit as much as an archaic holdout as the people who insisted that film was not art when it was a relatively young medium.

>literature by definition has to adhere to a pretty strict format, and that limits it's artistic abilities.

someone hasn't read joyce's ulysses and gravity's rainbow...

>you can't experiment or break the rules with the english language the same way you can with sound.

This is the dumbest thing I've read all year.

>someone hasn't read /lit/ memebooks
Found the undergrad

Yeah, I can acknowledge that there's a large kitsch literature demographic, but the fact of the matter is writing and reading are inherently more immersive across the board in comparison to music

Of course /lit/ talks shit, this is Sup Forums. Every board has what it considers patrician and plebeian but at the end of the day we're all just lonely shut ins who found a place we can all talk about the one thing that makes us feel less alone, video games, books, music, whatever.

i proved you wrong. get over it

>Sup Forumsirgin here
Stopped reading.
Fuck off back to Sup Forums underage fagg

Awful bait

it isn't playing videogames that's an art form so much as developing them. same goes for all artistic mediums.

>you can't experiment or break the rules with the english language the same way you can with sound
English doesn't have hard rules. People have tried in the past to put rules on the language and made themselves look like retards. The English language is however it's being used at the current time and it has tons of dialects that all have their own ways of working that break the rules of other dialects and so on. You obviously have to be somewhat coherent if you want people to read your stuff but you can definitely break or bend the commonly held rules to fit what you want to do. Look at Shakespeare coming up with entirely new words that are still used today, or A Clockwork Orange's English-Russian pidgin.

pfftt Sup Forumsermmin nobody cares about your lame stories, nobody cares about your basic string arranged soundtracks. People play videogames on their phones as a pastime, that's how much your shitty hobby has transcended, but then again Sup Forums never ever leaves their basement so they think the world and all there is to see is contained on this site.

It is a personal preference.

>writing and reading are inherently more immersive across the board in comparison to music

I don't believe this. if anything I feel the opposite. I find reading to be insanely boring.

It's all a matter of perspective, my friends. Of course, here on the music board, you will have people insist that music is a deep and enriching experience; and that certain other forms of entertainment pale in comparison. In contrast, visit a board dedicated to a different medium and try and push this very same idea; and there is a good chance that you will be laughed out of the thread by that board's community as they call you a pretentious hipster.

Holy shit.
This right here? This is autism. Not Sup Forums "le autistic XDD" autism, no. This is legitimate, medical grade autism. This is what mothers everywhere fear when they find out they're pregnant. This is what gets put up for adoption because parents "aren't ready for this type of responsibility". This is what Midwest American idiots think comes as a result of vaccination. This is what kills families. This is what kids think of when they hear "slow". This is fucking autism. You are so fucking reported. I can't believe you bring this shit in here again and again and again. You listen here you underaged shitdicked little cumguzzler: THIS. ISN'T. FUNNY. It's not cute or charming or something that gives people a smile, it's a waste of time, a waste of space, and an eyesore. You make me worry, really really worry about the state of my generation where the hell is our world gonna go if it's run by shit-stained cuntminds like you that have NO originality and NO creative drive AT ALL. You contribute nothing at all to this board, nothing at all to your fellow peers. You are worse than a dumbass my asinine little friend, you are a black hole of faggotry and stupidity. You suck in the people around you and corrupt them with your cancerous posts. Your very existence is robbing this world of all things good. Leave this place, sell your computer, give the money to someone with brains who can wisely use it, and then kill yourself you waste of life. Die.

>you can't experiment or break the rules with the english language
Have you ever read entry lever shit like a clock work orange?

pfftt Sup Forumstant, nobody cares about your lame lyrics, nobody cares about your basic manufactured pop melodies. People listen to music on their phones as a pastime, that's how much your shitty hobby as transcended, but then again Sup Forums never ever looks away from their smartphones, so they think the world and all there is to see is contained on this site

>I find reading to be insanely boring

Go to /lit/ and say that. You'll see a thread exactly like this one, but instead of a music>vidya discussion you'll get a literature>music discussion

They'll trash you worse than Sup Forumstants are trashing this Sup Forumsirgin

>All these people taking the bait

OP here, I was pretending to be pretending to be pretending to be retard.

ay

Tbh even anime is better han vidya

>Games need to be hard to be interactive art
Sure buddy.

Agreed, but then it doesn't necessarily make it an inferior art form to literature in my opinion.

That's obvious though.

Stop shitting this wonderful board, fella.

No shit.

This board is not wonderful, therefore it is.

Painting > Architecture > Sculpture > Philosophy > Literature > Theatre > Music >>>> Cinema >>>>>>>>>>> Television >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Video Games

if so, you're literally being cucked
you should now by now bait threads are not taken seriously by non-retards and people just find a way to discuss the topic that is implied.

You can get the feels of a 2 hour movie just from listening to one 3 minute song.

I ain't even rating music that high but music at least is art.

Videogames are an entertainment media that's it, I bet somewhere in Africa there is a couple of blacks making a pissing contest, they might be excited to see who reaches the longer distance with their urin, I bet they are touched when they see the guy with the smallest penis win, but that ain't art.

>philosophy
hooboy

Bigger dopamine release than both videogames and movies.

Accurate

This. Even why I play video games I listen to music, unless it's a more story driven one which I have to listen to

>Philosophy
I don't understand.

There will never be a video game that reaches the emotional and intellectual depths as literature such as Ulysses.

It's lowbrow innate.

>he fell for the Ulysses meme

>honestly don't enjoy films except for silly teen comedies
>would prefer lit, music, and vidya instead

what am I

An enigma

If it's not art what's it doing in art museums along with the stuff you do consider art, buddy?

heather is a cute, ashley sucks
>philosophy
ay lmao
the only patrician ITT

Ulysses was shit. Don't try to talk about literature and then bring up babby's first classical work

Museums do not show art exclusively, I've never seen an ART museum showing videogames my self but if there are videogames museums their purpose is to exhibit the games with historical purposes.

Seriously, gamers are really ignorant people.

americanart.si.edu/exhibitions/archive/2012/games/

I guess the Smithsonian doesn't know what the fuck they're talking about tho

Seriously though people who turn their noses up at the concept of video games as art are going to be looked back upon in history in the exact same way as people who said cinema would never be art simply because at the time it was new and not as accepted as the forms present in their day

The article never explains why videogames are art. All it says is some morons think videogames are art and they made a public exhibition.

0/10 try again Sup Forumsermmin.

You are talking about big corporate products, that work the same way as Music does in this enviroment...