This is the best desktop environment

this is the best desktop environment

Other urls found in this thread:

bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=141154&
mate-desktop.org/blog/2018-02-07-mate-1-20-released/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Nope
bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=141154&

Was. Too bad GNOME's gonna kill 'em off for good.

Pretty damn comfy tbqh

It's shit

You can do everything you want to do easily in macOS or Windows.

You just take pride in doing things the hard way. You think that makes you better than me. It doesn't.

I agree, best DE right now by far
What does that even mean?
Thunar has icon, details, and list views, it show thumbnail, it allows zooming in and out, it has everything you need in my opinion
lol no

What may "kill" Xfce is Mate to be honest because, for example, Mate now supports natively HiDPI
>mate-desktop.org/blog/2018-02-07-mate-1-20-released/
>MATE Desktop 1.20 supports HiDPI displays with dynamic detection and scaling.
>HiDPI hints for Qt applications are also pushed to the environment to improve cross toolkit integration.
>Toggling HiDPI modes triggers dynamic resize and scale, no log out/in required.

Xfce is still on a zero-new-features transition to GTK3 so it will be a long time probably before it gets native HiDPI support
But if Xfce devs "steal" HiDPI support from Mate then Xfce will be king for ever

Xfce, LXDE or MATE?
Which one is lighter on resources?
Currently running Cinnamon btw.

LXDE and Xfce are both significantly lighter than MATE. While LXDE is the lightest I still would recommend Xfce, which uses slightly more resources but is way more usable.

If you wanna go really lightweight fuck DEs and go for a tiling WM.

hmm, not sure about after gtk3 transition but I after experimenting a lot Gnome2/Mate was always easier on the ressources compared to xfce if you did a features equivalent selective installation.

If you just do a standard install then the needed ressources should probably be like that now:
LXDE < Xfce < MATE < Gnome3 < Cinnamon < KDE

However LXDE is LXQT now and while it should be low on ressources I don't believe anything QT can be.

I've been off Sup Forums for a good while now. Can someone give me a quick rundown or a link? What's happening to Gnome?

desktop linux was a mistake

If the KDE Devs can make Plasma 5 "light" (on RAM, not GPU) then LxQT should be able to do the same. I really want to love XFCE but there is practically no partial/fractional DPI scaling unless you generate the UI elements themselves. XFCE is comfy on normal DPI screens though, but I don't think I can upgrade my X220 screen to 1080p; text would be too small/ui would be too jarring.

>lol no

I wish.
Do you not see the writing on the wall?
As long as MATE and Xfce depend on GTK they're on a one way trip off a cliff. GNOME dev considers the whole paradigm of those DE's deprecated. at best they pretend they don't exist, at worst they are actively trying to destroy them, see the CSD initiative or trying to kill notification icons for example.

GTK is just freezing feature development of 3, heading into GTK4 and they are cutting older code out like crazy, what do you think that "cruft" is? It's the features XFCE and friends use and depend on but GNOME no longer cares about. Where does this leave our trusty old DE's? scrambling to fill in the growing gaps between modern GTK and them. Xfce does not have the manpower for this, they will effectively be stuck on GTK3 forever and left behind to die.

In the gold timeline XFCE, MATE and LXDE devs would have banded together and forked GTK2 to continue it and keep the desktop style they use well and truly alive, but Instead they went right into the GNOME bear trap.

Just install LXQt or KDE and report bugs, they are our only allies that care about our use case.

lul fuck off Winigger. if getting cucked by Micropenis and the NSA is your thing, sure.

I don't think Gnome will kill Xfce/Mate/LXDE etc
There is a bigger chance that Gnome and Wayland will kill the GNU/Linux Desktop
Hardware is evolving and the Linux Desktop is stuck in 96dpi
I just don't know how I can make Linux Desktop look good in a 15' laptop with 1920x1080 resolution, I just don't know

Just like distributions haven't dropped GTK2 after many years and there are still many GTK2 applications around, they won't drop GTK3 despite having GTK4+
Besides, isn't GTK4 supposed to be (mostly) source compatible with GTK3, it isn't the massive transition that GTK2 -> GTK3 was
And GTK3 is actually "modern" with better support for scaling, flicker free rendering, animation etc
I think Xfce (and probably Mate) will be good with GTK3 for years because it doesn't try to have every feature, it just wants to be minimal and get out of the way
If only they get scaling right...

Programmers make the worst UX designers. This is not a good desktop environment. Even windows xp gui is more accessible than this, and I'm not even going to mention macOS.

>macOS
>goo ui
Make an html file in Textedit
Then close it and open it again

Fuck macOS

Mac OS X had good UI until 10.6 but from then they started to shit on it and now macOS is a total turd

>changing textedit from richtext to plaintext in the format menu is too hard for me :(

>automatically detecting the mimetype of the edited file and setting plain text or rich text mode automatically is too hard for macos devs :(

Gnome wishes to go the touchscreen route and destroy everything that once made their desktop usable.

>Xfce, LXDE or MATE?
>Which one is lighter on resources?
>Currently running Cinnamon btw.
Lightweight means it's lacking features or looks like shit. Stick with Cinnamon. It's the best of the bunch.

>looks like shit
Not everybody needs "good looks", whatever that is anyway.

I have no idea what XFCE is or does sorry.

use default scaling and large font under acessibility settings.
1.5 font scaling is usually fine if nothing else works

in my experience cinnamon is lighter than mate - but that was older versions of cinnamon compared to the most recent mate, ymmv

it's what gnome would be if you put it through years of surgery to remove all the cancer

>windows
>easy
>things abruptly stop working
have your (You) and go away already

im sorry .. what is 'more accessible' than xfce?

still talking about xp as some kind of an ideal .. would be forgotten if m$ had been able to improve their own marginal GUI

Xfce

Xfce has more features than Cinnamon. Also see ZorinOS and ChaletOS. Both look way better than any cinnamon desktop.

>mfw moved from XFCE after three years of use to KDE
>mfw KDE is attractive but has some slight bugs
I like the idea of KDE, but going back to XFCE is still in the back of my mind.

Xfce is nice but future GTK is going to be the end of them.
LXQt and KDE are the way to go now.

LXQt is basically a featureless and more heavy KDE.

i3 > all

in b4 stupids admit they can't read the docs

Don't you KDE shills have anything better to do that attacking Xfce?
We got enough problems as it, leave Xfce in peace, we don't bother anyone
Go shit on Gnome

right, reading sure is hard

I love these ricekid DE posts. You knigrows think what anyone else uses matters? Why does it matter? Teentardthink pure and simple. DE zealots should be forced to use unmodified Vista for the rest of their lives.

Thats true, mac is supposed to be all about making automatic changes for brainlets yet they dont implement such a feature is retarded.

So whats the deal with xfce&kde and wayland?

>xfce
it's dying
>kde
it's dead
>wayland
it will kill linux on the desktop

>stating the fact that gtk3 is cancer is attacking Xfce

KDE is now exclusively developing Wayland support.
Xfce will need at least 3 or 6 more years before switching to Wayland.

>KDE is now exclusively developing Wayland support
Meaning KDE project isnt developing on the x11 side anymore?

When are they thinking it will be wayland feature complete?

>it's dying
what did you mean by this

Wayland blocking applications from spyng on eachothers gui’s is good for security though.

Nah, XFCE is disgusting.

>implying xfce has a choice
GTK2 isn't an option anymore
GTK3 is the easiest option that will modernize Xfce and make it work better in modern hardware (eg in HiDPI display, in a (dystopian) Wayland-only future, etc)
I don't like that Xfce is surrendering even more control to Gnome and Red Hat but Xfce is a small project, it never really had power
I wish the KDE project good luck but I just don't like it, it's too much on my face, too many option, I want a DE to just get out of the way, Xfce does just that and (hopefully) will continue doing that after the GTK3 transition

It's so easy to rice, just go to xfce look

underrated

What if I don't want to rice it and just want to have it look nice OOTB?

>too many option
I rather have a ton of GUI tools on hand whether I use them or not. Its like having a garage with tools in cabinets (command line, often have to google/wiki how to use them if its been a while), and having a bunch of common use tools on the wall where you can see them (GUI)

>small dev team with no funding
>no major distro backing it (why debian? why??)
>gnome devs are like "who is this xfce guy?"
>gnome is mean and want to kill xfce (and other de/wm with wayland, csd, notrayicons, etc)
>wayland is coming (fuck wayland) and if wayland becomes the default and mir doesn't deliver there is no way that xfwm will be ported to wayland
>no proper hidpi support (there are workaround but even gnome's shit don't work)
>gtk3 is a trap but xfce doesn't have a choice and is walking right into it

wayland is shit
this kind of security is a meme
it's my computer and i want any window to be able to see any window damn it
fuck you gnome, wayland and redhat

>a de is a tool cabinet
I disagree
The applications I use are tools
The DE is just a way to start the applications
I don't want it to have options, I want it to allow me to open the applications quickly
I just want the DE to get out of the way, be simple and take care of the boring stuff (eg power management)

Xfce does just that, KDE doesn't
KDE just want to own the whole experience and I don't like it

I’m coming to embrace redhat as someone becoming a developer. Figure I should be familiar with tools used by them and their family of distros since many servers in the enterprise realm (where I will he working) run red hat...

Also I don’t like canonical... I feel like they’ve been more subversive with their distro, red hat just has more exposure to hate since they have moved with systemD, selinux, wayland, etc.

Is KDE truly that much slower? What hardware are you using? I agree with you when I am using a VM of linux on 1-2 cores I rather use XFCE on the virtual OS(s)

It's not about slow, it's about having a bunch of button on every panel, menu, etc
It's overwhelming

Ah see I prefer that, I prefer the airplane cockpit feel. All the buttons right there & visible.

>Its like having a garage with tools in cabinets
>and having a bunch of common use tools on the wall where you can see them
Xfce users confirmed for patricians with tool cabinets
KDE users confirmed for slobs with tools scattered on the floor getting rusty and dusty

>too many options
I like Xfce because it has many options in the GUI. I haven't found any DE other than KDE that's as easy to use especially for beginners. GNOME is pretty much unusable on desktop, Unity was "fine" but for something as simple as making a shortcut to a file is impossible without editing configs. Xfce does things well and doesn't make using it as a desktop environment annoying or difficult.

For same reason I sometimes like tiling WMs because its the same just the controls go from the GUI to the keyboard

Pro-dont have to move hands from keyboard

Con-you have to memorize more key strokes

LINUX IS A FUCKIGN MEME ALL DISTROS ARE DOGSHIT

what the fuck is this bullshit? Plasma on Solus is literally around 350mb of ram for the entire OS. That's absurdly low. What kind of a toaster are you running?

Why don't you use xrand to scale Xfce up on hidpi displays?
$ xrandr --listmonitors
$ xrandr --output eDP --scale 0.75x0.75

It will scale everything by the same factor whether it's a Qt/GTK2/GTK3/X application

you're one of those winfags who used linux for 2 days to act cool but then got irritated by the "complexities" so now you're complaining about it.

>What if I don't want to rice it
Don't, ricing is overrated anyway
>and just want to have it look nice OOTB?
Just install and use Arc theme, it looks great

When I was forced to use linux because of a slow computer, this always puzzled my mind.

>Why file upload boxes never get image previews ?

Glad it has been so since 2004. Another proof of the efficiency of the open source...

>xfeces

ChaletOS / ZorinOS Lite

I dual boot XFCE on my chromebook, XFCE is the best

This makes me kek everytime, its posted at just the right frequency to remain fresh.

Manjaro KDE on a GTX 1060 powerhouse (which works fine except for screen tearing)

Tried the live USB of Manjaro KDE on an old toaster equipped with a ATi X1100 (practically equivalent to a Intel GMA 950), graphics glitches everywhere. But I suspect this is due to the "mature" ati driver which hasn't gotten alot of attention as opposed to the newer radeon ones.

Did you get flustered by command options and panic uninstall?

>hehehe poo poo funny hahaha! xD

>muh Wayland
Just use Sway

Why not call it swayland

Call anyway you want
Just let any window view any window and let me query window positions and place them where I want
Fuck the snake-oil security that fucking Wayland promotes

We need to fork GTK 3. Someone has to do it. Please somebody, save us from GNOME.

>forking gtk
Just no. Especially when Qt exists.

Why do you hate wayland so much? Not trying to troll, just a curious brainlet.

There is no best DE, only worst DE, aka Gnome.

Why do so many distros come with gnome? Is kde dying?

Fedora is controlled by Red Hat who develops Gnome. Ubuntu switched to Gnome because it could become Unity with extensions but now other DEs can do the same now too. I don't know why you think KDE is dying.

>windows os comes with adware applications
>forced to update when windows wants you to(can't do it out of your own volition like with linux)
>blue screen of death all the time
>pajeet malware that collects your information so pajeets can call you and scam you(pretending to be tech support or the irs)
>the windows desktop environment is slow and not lightweight like linux desktop environments

Am I right to say kde is more community based than gnome? Gnome is basically closed development but their make their code open right

GNOME has a significantly bigger budget.

So whats their excuse for being so shit?

you can do it yourself

Yes, the only choice for a light weight experience with an ok GUI

I would guess so since many Gnome devs are paid by Red Hat.

Manjaro I3 here, it's bae !

>large budget means good things
Have you seen Apple and Microsoft?

yep, since the old gnome died i gave xfce a try
best decision of my life

Yeah but since gnome is open source, the fact that they dont take as much community input I think hurts them. It probably makes gnome less secure also. If you’re going to be open source you need to have a community to help keep it clean.

The problem is they do have a community of their own which doesn't give a fuck. They're open source because it's more convenient for them. And anyway, forks of GNOME do exist but they're almost all equally bad (Cinnamon, Pantheon, Unity, Budgie, Deepin). The good thing is that Budgie is moving from gtk to Qt so it will kinda be based on/inspired by gnome, but won't be shit. With Xfce probably dying in 3 years the future of DEs are KDE and Budgie.

>Just install LXQt or KDE and report bugs, they are our only allies that care about our use case.
Or just port xfce 3.8 to qt

Havent heard much about budgie recently, it seems to be really in the shadow of kde, does it look like its poised to overtake kde? I think its more likely people leave the budgie project and go to kde

I have no problems with gnome. Anyone who says otherwise is jusy a contrarian

I say you have problems with gnome

The best windows 98 desktop clone you mean?

it fills a specific group of users, but it's not for everybody, some people want more.