Talking in English/Japanse by Grammarnazi

This is not British thread nor Japanese thread, this is Grammar nazi thread.
Correcting grammar each other as much as we can even though how much the mistake sounds cute.
Don't forget to say thank you to the person who corrected your sentence.
Don't hesitate to ask about grammar.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/UrW7GNFwPsM
youtu.be/ZarHxLu02EY
youtube.com/watch?v=vmL72sgVdAQ
youtube.com/watch?v=DHQRZXM-4xI
youtu.be/e8S1UwTGfrs
youtu.be/MVfxaqktqdQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I know I can't expect many posters come to this thread....and it's now 20:27 in Japan, so I can only expect posters from AZ or NZ...

とりあえず、ちょっとした流行りもの
カッターとハサミが一緒になったやつ

函館の夜景

sakura in Tokyo at night

This is [neither an English]*0 thread nor [a] Japanese thread[. T]his is [a grammar Nazi]*1 thread.
[Let's correct]*2 [each others' grammar] as much as we can even though the [mistakes sound] cute.
Don't forget to say thank you*3 to the person who corrected your sentence.
Don't hesitate to ask about grammar.

*0 I think this is what you meant.
*1 could either be Grammar Nazi or grammar Nazi - consider it a stylistic choice.
*2 Many ways to fix this but this is the best way.
*3 Proper style would require 'thank you' to be in quotes but it's fine like this in a web forum

Thank you very much. :D

*o yes, I meant it.
I knew the phrase of '' Neither A nor B'', but I couldn't use it well. It helps me a lot, and it means a lot to me.

Can you translate to Japanese the whole sentence?

If someone post in Japanese, I'd love to help it....

based

What are you trying to say?

Fall in mountains of Japan.

日本の秋の山の風景

I said this Australian seems pretty based.
I like grammar Nazis to progress in learning language. I like to act as a grammar Nazi in French, too.

I was learning Japanese a few times ago but I gave up, so sadly I don't need your services anymore, and I can't help you with the ones you need.

>I know I can't expect many posters come to this thread
I can't expect many posters TO come to this thread

I see, I too was learning French once long time ago, but I gave it up. Because the pronunciation is too difficult for me to learn by myself.
Sadly, but hey, thanks for your reply.
If you changed your mind and feel like to study Japanese again, come back to here. :3

Alright, the same goes for you!

A tricky thing with English posters is that the language may be slightly different from Great Britain, USA, Canada or Australia… I guess we're speaking a sort of mix of all of these.

Also, checked.

>If you changed your mind and feel like to study Japanese again
Changed is past tense, change is future tense.
> If you change your mind and feel like studying Japanese again
is more correct.

Thank you very much! sempai! :D

このスレに沢山の投稿者が来るとは期待できない

All right*

When we're not memeing and we are talking to foreigners, most Australian posters speak in British English.

Oh OK, so the main difference is your accent then.

My girlfriend and I used to have people stay over from couchsurfer.org, a lot of the time they would say things like, "I can understand when you talk to me, but I can't understand when you talk to eachother".

So you can adjust yourself, nice.
I listen to the Australian accent when I watch the V8 Supercars series, it sounds pretty cool to me!

Very true, there are always some differences between them. But as long as they correct my English, it helps me a lot and I always thank to them. :D

Thank you very much! The way of your teaching is very clear and easy to understand for me.
もし日本語を習いたいっていう気になったら、

Here is me and my friend from NZ talking in Aussie slang.

I am inviting him over for a meal, I wanted steak, but he can't eat steak because he has braces on his teeth.

Chur is NZ slang, it is like a combination of "yes" and "thank you"

let me translate....
>Wanna come get your grill on?
Do you want to come to dinner?
>Bring some snags?
Should I bring some snacks?
>I'm just about to pop up to tronno to grab some steaky wakes. I'll get you one.
tronno??
But I could understand you want to eat steak.
>Dig
Dig? slang is the hardest for me.
>teef
teeth?

Btw this thread might be useful to you OP:

> want come use this new grill?
> want me to bring sausages?
> Im just going out to [nickname of our town] to buy some steak, I'll get you one.
> Sounds good
> Actually, get sausages
> my teeth
> oh yeah, I'll get something that's a bit easier on your teeth
> thanks

Australian slang is all about similes and metaphors and stuff. It's very silly and colourful, but also very literal:
Instead of saying
> that girl was crazy in bed!
why not say
> that girl went off like a frog in a sock!
That way you get a mental picture of a frog getting stuffed into a sock and going crazy trying to escape... that's what the girl was like in bed!

Laughing gear = mouth
Because your mouth is what you use to laugh.

oh, it's very useful, thank you very much! :D

But do actual normal young people talk like that? Is it not for retards/rural crowd/whatever else?

>I'll grab something that's a bit easier on the laughing gear

that sounds pretty cool

it would be very difficult to talk like that for a non-native speaker

Ah...it's really difficult to understand, but funny.
I was thinking like, ''sock? why in a sock?'
After I read your explain, I found a frog can't move in a sock.
Thank you very much!

hahaha, very interesting! It doesn't come up with my imagination!

As for me, the most difficult part is the words ''laughing gear''. How about for you?

I think everybody CAN talk like that, if they do or don't is a matter of preference and who you are with. People my father's age often speak in rhyming slang as well. I can understand it but a lot of people my age can't.

It's an old English thing, instead of saying a word, you say a word that rhymes with the word you meant, like:
Instead of saying
> I would like a pie and sauce
why not say
> I would like a dog's eye with dead horse

Actual normal young people
youtu.be/UrW7GNFwPsM

I dunno, feels pretty logical to me

steaky wakes tho

it's difficult for me to perceive steaky and steak pronounced as STAKEY and STAKE

the way my mind wants to pronounce it rhymes with cheeky and cheek

even though I know that steak is pronounced as stake in russian for example

ugh, englando is difficult sometimes

>After I read your explain
Explain is a verb, the noun is "explanation"

I explain to you, you read my explanation. Make sense?

This guy is pretty funny I think, he is a rugby player who is more famous for his interviews than his sport. He speaks in really obscure Australian slang that even some Aussies have never heard before.

youtu.be/ZarHxLu02EY

I see. I don't know it's pretty logical or not, but it's easy to imagine the pic of gear.

Thanks, it does make sense. ;)
You're very helpful.

Is "But that backflip tho" wrong?
If it is, why?

The thread was achieved very quickly...sadly.

> that xxx tho
is American slang for when you are trying to point out your favourite part of something.

> you and your friend are looking through facebook together
> you see pic related
> you say to your friend "that ass tho!"

You forgot the But

I didn't know the usage of ''tho'', thanks.
I only knew tho=but.

"tho" is short for though, not the same as but.

tho is short for though.

It's kind of complicated, but though is usually used at the end of a sentence where you have said something negative/positive, then say something opposite:

> My ex girlfriend's mother was a horrible cunt, good cook though.

Is using but and though in a sentence wrong?

You sound like a couple of homos

This is not a good example of antipodean lingo.

Thanks. :D

But the pic helped me a lot.
Would you give us some good examples instead?

Yeah, sounds a little unnatural but you can get away with it in casual speech. Us Aussies often put but at the end of the sentence instead of though.

Ending a sentence with "but" is not technically allowed but in slang informal conversations it happens all the time.

> My ex girlfriend's mother was a horrible cunt, good cook but.
still makes sense.

But is usually used in the middle of a sentence.

> I wanted to study but instead I went on Sup Forums
> I wanted to study, I ended up on Sup Forums though

So far, no Japanese learners' post.

I really appreciate to people teach me English, tho.

youtube.com/watch?v=vmL72sgVdAQ

Between those two sentences, which one is the most used one?

hahaha

俺は日本語を勉強してるよ
To my ears putting but at the end sounds more casual. Something you'd only say to mates.

Probably equal.

Greetings!
I have been straining to perfect my hand at writing English on my own for upwards of four years. Nevertheless, my ham-fisted English remains incurably disastrous and
there were times that the striving even struck me as Sisyphean.
I can't help but lament my incompetence.
Therefore, I want to try my hand at you guys' help.
How can I improve my infantile English?

How long did it take you to write that

nigga you're trying too hard

Does anyone anywhere still use "greetings" as a greeting?

Pretty much just Aliens

strikes me as trying too hard/fedora english, you know what I mean?

Then, feel free to ask me about Japanese and grammar.

I think he is memeing...

like 30mins

Cliche Australian translation

>Greetings!
G'day
>I have been straining to perfect my hand at writing English on my own for upwards of four years. Nevertheless, my ham-fisted English remains incurably disastrous and
I've been flat out like a lizard drinking trying to get better at this gas bag caper for about four years, but fuck me dead, I'm useless
>there were times that the striving even struck me as Sisyphean.
I feel like that cunt that had to roll the big fucken rock up the hill all day
>I can't help but lament my incompetence.
I'm sweating like a bag of cats at a greyhound track
>Therefore, I want to try my hand at you guys' help.
giz a hand boys.
>How can I improve my infantile English?
how do I get better at flappin' me gums?

hahahaaha. Isn't it similar to Indian English?
I don't mean I'm insulting their English accent, tho.

My personal favourite: sweating like a salaryman at an S&M club

sweating like a gypsy with a mortgage

WHAT IS BOGAN

is it australian gopnik or what

Here are Indians trying to speak Aussie

youtube.com/watch?v=DHQRZXM-4xI
sweating like Joseph Fritzl on MTV cribs
gopniks are russian bogans*

Do all australians use idioms?

Kinda like a redneck, but they usually live in the suburbs of cities.
> low income/neet
> low education
> very patriotic
> lots of children
> swear a lot
> lots of drugs and alcohol

do they have to be white?

Sounds very different to us...

youtu.be/e8S1UwTGfrs

A lot of foreigners have difficulty telling Australia and NZ accents apart, but to us it is so different!

Pretty much

every now and then

When you are trying to be funny. It's not something you would do in a job interview.

> So why do you want to work here?
> When I saw there was a position going I was onto it like a rat up a drainpipe

Yeah, nah.

I learned "greetings" from Siri. S/he sometimes says it.

Which one is correct: "Just do it, man" or "Just do it man"?

either one is fine, depending on how you'd like it to be read.

I wouldn't recommend saying greetings to anyone, it's really old fashioned, it's like saying "salutations".

I could understand they speak English, but I couldn't understand what they are talking, thank you. :)

Thanks.
I think..It's a bit easier for me to understand in this video., I don't know why.

>NZ accent
Ability of my listening is not good as to recognize the differences.
I hardly have opportunity to listen both of them.

I have a feeling a textbook would tell you "Just do it, man" but no one would notice or correct you on the other one.

What do you recommend then?

Kiwis swap vowels around, they pronounce "egg" as "igg", instead of "big" they say "bug", and "travel" as "trevil".

youtu.be/MVfxaqktqdQ

East Coast Australians do not stress the "a" in "dance", but people from Adelaide and the West Coast make it long like "daaaarnce" which is also how they do it in NZ.

So if you ask a kiwi to say "eggplant" they say "iggplaaant" which is really funny.

Hey or hello. Or a lot of the time I just skip it and go straight to "how is it going?"

Howsit garn*

Appreciate your help! XD
It's harder for me to study broken English than grammatical one.

'scarn?

What does "rate somebody" mean?
Brits use it a lot in Sup Forums

You're good man, I think you are better than most of the other jap posters here anyway, probably 90% of the way there!

It means you think they are good. Like you would rate them 10/10 or rate them as one of the best.

If you think someone is shit then you can say "I don't rate him"

Thanks, I will listen it carefully and need to take my time to understand.

I don't know about Japanese, but the interesting thing about English is that there are lots of words which mean the same thing but have a very different tone: yes, yeah, yep, yup, affirmative; all mean the same thing, but affirmative and yes are more formal and direct, while yeah and yep are more casual, and yup is something that a child would say so you would use it if you are trying to look cute or something.

When we meet people from other Germany or something, sometimes they only learn "yes" which can make them seem very formal and humourless. I think it probably has something to do with them only having one word (ja) in their language...

One time I accidentally deleted the word "yeah" from my phone's predictive text dictionary, and I had to use "yes". A lot of my friends thought I was mad at them or something.

haha, I think I can understand exactly what you mean.
Because the same thing goes for Japanese, by words or by tones.
For example, ''yes'' is translated in Japanese ''はい’’, yeah and yep are translated in Japanese 'うん' and ’そう’, yup should be translated in Japanese ’あい’、or 'ん'.

Your post reminded me that one German asked me one time, ''why there are so many ways to express '' I '' in Japanese? I should be always I , but not in Japanese ''.
For him, it sounded very unreasonable, but this is the interesting thing about Japanese.
We have many words to express ''I'', such as ''watashi'' for formal, 'atashi' for young girls, 'ore' for guys...etc.
Language is interesting, anyway. :D

You are a nice guy too :)

The reason English is so complicated is that England has been invaded so many times. It started off as Celtic, then it was invaded by Romans (who gave us our grammar and punctuation) then Vikings (who gave us our particle words like 'is' and 'are'), then it was invaded by Angles and Saxons from Germany (who gave us a lot of words), then it was invaded by Normans from France (who gave us the rest of the words).

French has an academy of professors who decide which words are French, and which words are not allowed to be used.

There's nothing like that in English: if it sounds good and it doesn't violate the rules, you can use it. One of the most famous English writers, William Shakespeare invented over 1700 words.

That's what makes it difficult to study, because words from a Viking language and words from a German language might not mix well with Latin, but I think it's also kind of beautiful the way English tries to include everyone!

There's a good book on this stuff called "Mother Tongue" by a bloke named Bill Bryson if you are interested.

Thanks for your interesting post. :3
I've been studying 3 or 4 languages already, and English is the easiest language for me next to my mother tongue. (Japanese).
But when I started to learn other European languages, I found their vocabs were mixed up and drove me crazy a bit.
Especially I got the situation when I learned German. So, I think I can imagine what you mean and I know English has long history.
I admit English is very flexible to other language and convenient to English learners.
On the other hand, I feel like the native speakers of English often make their own English and make too many new words easily.
(slang, net-slang always making new one day by day).
Those are only I feel about English, tho...

i'm curious why "come on" is said with falling intonation in irritating situations
even though it's usually said with rising intonation.

>Sisyphean
Sisyphean can be used to describe things that require a lot of hard work and yet will never be truly finished

>The word derives from the character Sisyphus in Greek mythology
Sisyphus was the king of Ephyra. He was punished for his self-aggrandizing craftiness and deceitfulness by being forced to roll an immense boulder up a hill, only to watch it roll back down, repeating this action for eternity

How did a Jap know of this word?