Screen backligts

There are many recent technologies out there I believe to be memeshit. Smart TVs, Chromecast and other less botnet-tier castboxes, and a bunch of other such things.

However, there is one piece of screen-technology I actually kinda' like, and that is the backlight. No, not the lighting of the screen, but the soft light that emits from behind the screen which reflects what's going on ON the screen.

If there is a plain blue skye on your monitor/TV, it will shine blue, like pic related. Giving the entire room a nice reflection of what's going on on your screen.

However only a very limited amount of TVs come with this tech, and I come today wondering if this type of lighting can be bought separately?

TL;DR:
>I want to buy lights that change color based on what's going on on my screen. Do these exist and if so where can I buy them?

Other urls found in this thread:

kickstarter.com/projects/237916976/dreamscreen-smart-led-backlighting-for-any-hdmi-tv
christianmoser.me/how-to-build-your-own-tv-ambilight-with-raspberry-pi-and-xbmc/
github.com/mpolednik/script.kodi.hue.ambilight
kodi.wiki/view/Ambient_lighting
hotstickybun.com/hardware/how-to-setup-and-use-phillips-hue-lights-with-kodi/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

That's a meme too, you should just use low ambient lighting

Am I understanding it corrrctly that you want a lightsource that changes color based on the light currently comming fron your screen?

I don't know, I think it's pretty cozy. Watching a show taking place in the desert and having that red-yellow-like color engulf the rooms. Shit's top-comfy.

That is what I want, yes, but I am not sure such technology exists and is commercially available as far as I can tell.

You'll forget about the lights pretty soon. But you can make one of these out of a rpi.

AND WHY DID YOU POST A PIC OF SOMETHING ELSE?

I'm sorry mate, but no. I don't think you can buy automatic smart lights that change color based on what's going on in your screen. I don't think that's a thing.

The problem is you need to know what's on the screen.

Here's one solution which seems to decode the HDMI image to figure it out: kickstarter.com/projects/237916976/dreamscreen-smart-led-backlighting-for-any-hdmi-tv

Perhaps OP could cut out the middle man in his case. For example, if he turned off all lights but his screen, and then had a sensor that could determine the color of light in the room or something?

Of course as I type this out this actually sounds even MORE complicated .

Not to pigyback on this () guy's suggestion OP, but the DreamScreen guys are inspired by a product called "ambilight". Look into that.

christianmoser.me/how-to-build-your-own-tv-ambilight-with-raspberry-pi-and-xbmc/
github.com/mpolednik/script.kodi.hue.ambilight
kodi.wiki/view/Ambient_lighting
hotstickybun.com/hardware/how-to-setup-and-use-phillips-hue-lights-with-kodi/

he'd need multiple color sensors all along the frame though

maybe a camera pointed at the screen, plus some fancy image detection using opencv could work

It always surprises me how good Sup Forums is at digging up very specific info about very poorly defined technology. It's actually kinda' impressive. Just ITT OP has gotten a good chunk of alternatives.

this isnt very obscure really.

we've already had threads about this, not many but it's been posted before

What you want for optimal response and little biase, go for Lightberry.

I can't figure out their website at all. Eastern Euroshit?

It's a very popular thing in the "home theater scene". And most high end LG TV's come with ambilight. If OP bothered to use google then he would've found tons of info about it.

Probably, yeah.

Philips hue light strip with screen bloom program is the best way of doing it, you can change it so the transitions are slower or faster and pick parts of the screen for it to find colours from and what screen.
Funny, people used to use a phone camera to do this with philips hue.
It'll cost a little bit of money but, the having lights you can turn off from bed and adjust for movies is worth the cost.
Hue bridge + light strip should be around a £100 on a good day

That price sounds nice actually. Good suggestion user.

Yeah I have it. Works well

It is, I have a friend who showed this off to me.

Holy shit you are retarded, it's not called backlights but ambient lights. Backlight is the light that lights up your LCD.
Philips makes TVs that have ambient lighting and they call it ambilight.
You can also make it yourself with an Arduino.