How do you feel about the hardware inside of current gen consoles?

How do you feel about the hardware inside of current gen consoles?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_3kelgXP7O0
youtube.com/watch?v=5Xo2gHb_qUw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Nice capacitors

I don't feel about it at all?
I guess from a quick mulling over, at least they seem to be more reliable than last generation?

The Jaguar CPU cores are seriously hampering it.

Almost every time a game drops frames it's where the CPU is over stressed.

If they still go AMD APUs next round, Ryzen CPU cores will do wonders.

CPU power in every modern console is laughably bad, even back in 2013.
GPU power ranges from mediocre to good.
Games are largely shit.

▲▲

Would be amazing for SBC and SFF if the cores were replaced with Intel or Zen cores, even in BGA

I think a Jaguar core is matched by a Cortex-A53. I think we'll probably see one more x86 generation, and then everyone will move to ARM.

Desktop Zen APUs are coming in the next few months

>ARM
>gaymes
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

The best games actually

AMD pieces of shit that struggle every time they need to do some physics or effects calculations.

Bitwit actually just posted an unboxing for one. That usually means reviews soon.

Low end shit. Why people want that is beyond me.

And you pretty much only get to run trash OS that aren't even great as game installing & launching platforms.

>buying shit that can only match almost 8 year old high end hardware

>what are exclusives

Zen APUs have a GPU that's 3 times smaller than the ones in PS4 pro, it'll probably be around 1030 performance, which isn't bad but obviously not 1060/580 tier

Nice strawman, poorfag.

Brazilians must be the ones enjoying the idea of a ""powerful"" APU btw

They are, the only APU with enough performance to match a modern graphics card is that Intel+Radeon laptop chip, that has 1050ti performance.

>APU
Technically not an APU

>Ryzen 5 2400G outperforms the GT1030
Are low end dedicated GPUs, dare I say it, finished and bankrupt?

There's 2 versions of the Vega M, that's the weaker one(30% less shaders, less bandwidth and lower clocks)

The full version should be around a 1060 Q-Max

2400G with 4.5GHz overclock spotted.

32% faster CPU score than stock 2400G

youtube.com/watch?v=_3kelgXP7O0

Not until AMD starts shipping every CPU with a iGPU, or Intel puts iGPUs on their Xeons.

noooooooooooooooooonNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

youtube.com/watch?v=5Xo2gHb_qUw
Not yet lads

Magic

>Almost every time a game drops frames it's where the CPU is over stressed.
How would you know this?

Why do you fags continue confusing ISAs with CPU implementations? Just because most current ARM implementations focus on power conservation doesn't mean that the ISA is hampered in any way. If anything, Apple's custom cores are around the performance level of Intel Core Ms, which certainly beat Jaguar cores.

>I think a Jaguar core is matched by a Cortex-A53.
While I haven't seen any direct comparisons, it has to be faster than an A53, given that the latter is an in-order architecture. I'd imagine an A57 might have similar performance.

>If they still go AMD APUs next round, Ryzen CPU cores will do wonders.
And also use several factors more die space.

>the only APU with enough performance to match a modern graphics card
A 1030 is a modern graphics card.

remove pokemon and it's fine, could've at least put emerald instead since battle frontier is an actual challenge

Maybe he meant decent, the 1030 is something you only get to turn your PC on, nothing else.

Not on 7nm, a Zen 4 cores are now only 44mm on 14nm

Or if he doesn't play AAA trash

kek, this picture is awful. Metroid Fusion and Zero Mission are the only games that are actually decent.

>being a contrarian indie trash player
Must suck being you.

rude

its never gonna reach modern PC level of good

Stop the projection Gonzales, last 'modern' game I played is from 2012

Because PCs are a moving target, while consoles can't get refreshed yearly

It's true tho, GBA was not a good handheld.

Awfully mismatched CPU and GPU
CPU is weaker than FX-4000 series or G4560, GPU's are rx580 tier if we're talking xbox x. Wasted potential in any cpu-intensive game.

What's your opinion of a good handheld you contrarian hipster piece of trash?

>tfw managed to unlock all the bad guys on that fire emblem to the point that i had almost reached the top of the dark tower but then my GBA SP broke down

>telling the truth = being hipster
Anything but GBA and Vita.

>I think a Jaguar core is matched by a Cortex-A53
> Raspberry pi 3 is matching a Xbox One in single IPC

Seriously doubt it

do you know what IPC stands for?

>Anything but GBA and Vita.
>can't even tell me what he thinks a good handheld is

>avg 61
>max 52
?????

might have been a error?

>gen III
lol

Good games aka not GBA or Vita.

>pokemon manchild wanker thinks his gen garbage means anything

I feel humored by 14yr old kids coming to Sup Forums to spout retarded shit about consoles being able to perform better at any given task than a pc.

Technological break through that are wasted on video games. I play games on PC. Have been since Quake. But looking into the effort and architecture of consoles always impressed me. Even as far back as the N64 and most of all, I loved the PS3. I love reading about the various work around old developers used to use to overcome a hardware limitation. The fact that PS3 CELL compute clusters for a while we're a thing.

What disappoints me is now that we have so much more processing power than we've ever had, we still have lazy incompetent programmers and devs who don't optimize. So you still end up with garbage.

lol

I am glad that console companies (at least with original box1/PS4) fixed the problem of hardware becoming slowly obsolete over time, by releasing consoles with already obsolete hardware

Yes, well, a Jaguar core is 3.1 mm2 in 28 nm.

Kys, gaymer faggot. The 1030 is only barely worse than the 750 I currently use, and not just for turning my PC on.

The 750Ti is considered the bare minimum for 1080p nowadays, the GTX 1030 is only good for people who still have older 1366x768 or 1680x1050 monitors.

The GT1030 is actually quite a good little card. Sub $90, most models capable of being passively cooled even under load. Barely 25w power consumption. Does games even like GTA5 on low at 40-ish fps on 720p.

People seem to forget what super budget cards used to be like back in the day. I remember hunting around for a custom BIOS to flash on to my GT210 with it's loud as fuck 40mm fan so I can bypass the voltage limiter to OC it. I'd have killed for something akin to the 1030 back in the day.

>dumbed down console graphics
>muh fast

Yeah, so? Zen when 7nm is ready will clock around 5GHz, and now already has double the IPC of Jaguar.
Also Raven Ridge has half the L3 cache of Summit cores, so there's a lot of size reduction there.

So Jaguar is smaller, A75 cores are smaller as well, but guess what? They're not 8 year old architectures.

x box x would be top tier with better cpu

Why do consoles ship with HDMI instead of DisplayPort?

Because they're meant to be used with TV's obviously. It like asking why didn't older consoles besides the Dreamcast ship with VGA.

Do TVs not ship with DisplayPort? I wouldn't know I don't watch TV.

It's extremely rare. I bought my mom a 4k TV for Christmas and it just has HDMI, component/composite and the antenna input.

>barely worse than a 750
>in 2018
See? Basically useless. It's only useful if you really don't have an integrated GPU. And don't forget the terrible price per performance.

>inb4 but it runs my 2010 games and my Blu-ray rips!
Good for you. This GPU is meant for niche scenarios like yours, but by any means it can be considered a good card these days.

the 1030 is actually decent if you play games on medium to medium low

majority of PCs are laptops, so it's already more powerful

these APUs are perfect for offices and normie desktop builds though. perfect for my mom

>A57
Don't you mean A73?

It's got 8 jaguar cores, no reason why 2 laptop processors glued together should seriously hamper performance as long as the developers are competent enough to scale processes evenly.
No sane person expects consoles to run games equal to a desktop at 60fps ultra settings.

>no reason why 2 laptop processors
They're more like netbook processors, a modern 35-45W Intel Core i7 is much faster than the CPU in even the Xbox One X.

At 720p under 60fps you mean, if we are talking about current games. At 1080p 60fps on medium/low only with a 1050/1050ti.

As long as they are close to an athlon 5350 in performance, 2 of them will be plenty.

>Yeah, so?
The point obviously being that they have a silicon budget. Noone's going to be happy about the next console having Zen cores if it costs twice as much as the current gen.

still shit. people can gurn all they want aboutbeing able to run shit in 4k but lets be honest thats only because of stupidly good optimisation. it already struggles to run one of its bigger titles (pubg). when i can plug a mouse and keyboard into my xbox without having to use some 3rd party tool like xim ill play mine more. its gathering dust behind my pc.

>Don't you mean A73?
No, I meant A57, but A73 probably work as well as a comparison to Jaguar. I don't think there's all that much different in performance between the A57, A72, and A73.

>Basically useless.
For what? If you want to run the latest AAA crap, I'm sure it's useless, but not everyone does. It's hardly a "niche" scenario to run the occasional gayme or other GPU-using program without being a (((professional))) gaymer.

So what? Consoles have never once been about having the best gaming performance. They've always been about being optimized for gaming in as affordable a budget as possible. That seems to be an apt description for the current gen too.

>4.5GHz
Well don't I feel silly for buying a 5820K now

I guess?

GBA was a great handheld with a terrible screen.
GBA SP was a bad handheld with a great screen.
GBA Micro was trash.

I'm disappointed that the PS4 and XBoner are essentially locked down desktops but more disappointed that the Switch is just a rebranded Nvidia tablet being passed off as a console.

Only at geekbench though

>Barely breaks 30fps in crysis (assuming the game scales perfectly with cores, which is does not)
>plenty

It's hard to understand how awful this CPU is. It's barely a upgrade form last gen.

>stupidly good optimization
>optimized for gaming
This myth needs to die. Console optimization is pretty much dead. A PC with the same GPU performs about as well. Now of course the console has a framerate limit in place, something all PC games should come with the option of.

Oh and when it comes to "bad ports", that just means the PC gamer might have to bump down his FPS to 60 or 30, something that is standard on console.

>Apple's custom cores are around the performance level of Intel Core Ms, which certainly beat Jaguar cores.
>he fell for geekbench

The 5350 was a freak, super low power consumption, decent graphics, actual quad core

$50

when the Zen APUs hit sub 25 watts I'm replacing my 2 home servers with them

>I'm replacing my 2 home servers with them
>pays extra for graphics
>on servers

>graphics on a home server

Considering the broader context of gaming, all the way from handhelds up to multi high-end GPUs in PCs, it's basically budget hardware, at best.

These companies don't have the funds to put something good into the consoles and subsidize the hardware costs with game sales, the 360/ps3 gen was not a great ROI until like year 4/5

And normies don't have the cash to drop on good hardware right out the gate, so they're stuck with maybe 1080p@30hz if they're lucky, and 4k or 60hz if it's a 2D indie game.

whats a console? do you mean terminal?
hardware?!?!

rice reddit spacing faggot

You just described the use scenarios for APUs and Intel with iGPUs.

Fuck off, we're discussing hardware

The issue is they're horribly imbalanced. The PS4 Pro and Xbox One X have modern midrange GPU tech but the CPU's are absolute dumpster fires. That's why all the Xbox's marketing is focused on resolution, because 60fps is still off the table for most games.

You mean paragraphs?

There is only one TV that has Displayport and it's some overpriced Nvidia thing.
To be fair there really isn't a need for display port on a TV not since HDMI 2.0 has came into full adoption