Have you ever actually used the 'man' command in Linux?

Have you ever actually used the 'man' command in Linux?

that's sexist

>type man command
>doesn't actually explain anything, just gives me a list of arguments for the command

Wow~ useful.

depending on the software you use it can be really useful (ie autistic suckless software)

rarely, linux manpages tend to be useless and overly long to even find anything (also partly because average linux command is overtly complex)
openbsd has actually useful manpages

theres a reason theres a vim keybind for it

also only realistically useful for c devs

> he doesn't use info

Only when something gets so fucked that I can't even open a browser to research it online, and I'm feeling too lazy to pick up my phone.

only for obscure hippie programs, arch wiki for everything else

guys, I hacked Justin Trudeau and looked at his .bashrc and found this:

alias person="man"

also
>not using zsh

man man
Here you go

only if I want to know a option flag which would be at the top or learn more about the software, usually I need real-life examples to understand how to use it.

Protip:
There's actually 2 manpages for man.
$ whatis man
man (7) - macros to format man pages
man (1) - an interface to the on-line reference manuals

So 'man man' and 'man 7 man'
For more detailed info see 'man man' and 'whatis whatis'.
You may also want to try 'type type' , 'help help' , 'which which', and 'whereis whereis', but I'm just being silly now.

\man blocks your path
T H I C C

'info info'

Yes, I had Linux classes during my first semester and on the exam we were allowed to use man. I basically solved the whole thing using man. Man rocks!

I use it often, and I'm actually updating some right now for a few programs I'm writing.

Usually I've at least done:
>NAME
Short summary
>SYNOPSIS
Very basic usage/syntax, same as Usage: from -h output
>DESCRIPTION
Detailed summary
>OPTIONS
The list of arguments with more detailed descriptions than the -h output but not too long. Anything needing more detailed explanation will get a subheading after the list.

Some have an EXAMPLES section but I guess they all should really.

man --help

$ man abs

i man touch daily

I find the best/fastest workflow is to find answer
on internet and then quickly verify with man page.
Some manpages are too long , man find 1511 lines for example

>too lazy to pick up my phone.
Who do you call to get documentation over the phone?

ITT: I don't know how to scroll my pager.

The man, obviously

I use it many times every day

It's easier just to look up how to do things than to try to parse all the unnecessary gnu added flags to find what you want

Fairly often yes

First thing when I need to check the flags or a basic intro to the tool / configuring it. Web if I can't find what I need by the end of the manpage.

Yeah dude. Whenever I don't know the flag I want I pull up the man page.

I found them almost impossible to read when I started with gnulix. Now I read them all the time.

Yes because BSD and UNIX have fairly useful documentation........now if only the MSDN library was converted to troff format for mingw-w64 cross compiler.......

I use the "people" command because it's more inclusive.

I let no man tell me what to do

konqueror used to be able to view man pages, then there's xman, or an online manpage.
I used to like those, sometimes picking up something I'd missed viewing in a terminal.
I guess I got used to looking at a terminal after a while tho.

I love man pages. GNU man pages are shit, though.

First time I installed Arch the installer had a list of packages to be installed. I looked through the list and decided that there was no need for man pages (gay) or pacman (lol gayms).

It wasn't very long lasting installation.

let's make an alternative called mansplain, and drop the source on github so all the sjws can contribute

man -K webm
q
n
q
n
>Man-- next: CGI::Carp(3pm) [ view (return) | skip (Ctrl-D) | quit (Ctrl-C) ]

Idiot.

holy shit, you use linux and don't even know how to use man pages correctly?
man $PROGRAM
then enter a forward slash and the thing you want to know, like
man ffmpeg
/codecs
if necessary press n (for "next") a few times
almost immediately know how to use the command
did you really think unix wizards just remember all the options for all commands? knowing how to look up things quickly (and opening a search engine and then a few random websites isn't quickly) is one of the most basic skills you should learn. If you haven't so far, do so immediately!

literally all the time.
it was my main instructor to learning linux before stuff like the archwiki was popular and i still use it

dead

Google if I need an answer quickly
Man if I am curious

Usually it's 95% irrelevant bullshit that I will literally never use nor care to even scroll through. It's much faster to google stackoverflow for a direct solution to my exact problem.

>person=man
kek
He uses csh (cuckshell)

>reliant on the interent when the manual will tell you the same thing
>reliant on some retard reading the man page for you
The amount of times I've seen questions like "Help with this program", and the answer being "From the man page: ...."

My man!

The man page usually does not have a "why" or "typical problems" section. When you search on the internet, you can find those.

>it's 95% irrelevant bullshit
Wrong. For complex programs it's essential.
>scroll through
You can also search by keyword, imbecile.
And it's actually faster to read the man page and familiarize yourself with the command so you no longer have to search for trivial solutions like which flag to use. If you just can't remember a flag or option, usually just call $ cmd --help without having to bother with the man page.

You guys just need to learn how to read manpages. They are all formatted in a pretty much standard way for a reason. Basically near the top you have the syntax of the command in tye format of cmdname [OPTIONS...] [FILE/WHATEVER..] which shows you were to put the options you want to use like cmdname -o file.txt or something. Then you usually have the description of what the program does which can be helpful if you see a command in a script or something and you don't know it. Then you have the detailed list of options which is arguably the most useful part were each option is listed along with a description of what it does and how to use it. Finally at the bottom you might find some examples and you will find the devs name and email as well as a list of related commands and manual pages.

I use info

I did once

of course, it's one of the most useful commands when settings things up

yes, but peoplekind think we should alias it to people.

All the time, whenever I forget a not-often-used option for a program. It's quicker than googling it and sifting through results when I already know what I want and just not what letter option it was.

If my question is more like "how do I herp derps", then I google it.

Oppose to what the women command?

>incapable of comprehending basic documentation functionality
the absolute state of unix users

You can just search what you need with grep and then you would know where to read

If you are finding man pages hard to read you should install openbsd, they are much clearer.

$ woman grep
DESCRIPTION
grep searches for PATTERN in each FILE. A FILE of “-” stands for standard input. If no FILE is given, recursive -- are you listening to me? well you don't look like you are -- recursive sea-- no nothing is wrong -- recursive searches examine the working -- don't you roll your eyes at me, I'm only doing what you asked. Do you want to know how it works or not? Fine -- recursive searches examine -- FINE you can figure it out yourself, god you're so inconsiderate, I do so much for you, how long do you really think you'd last if I wasn't here to do all your washing, all your cleaning, cook all your
q
$ grep --help

$ woman grep
DESCRIPTION
grep searches for PATTERN in each FILE. A FILE of “-” stands for
standard input. If no FILE is given, recursive -- are you listening to
me? well you don't look like you are -- recursive sea-- no nothing is
wrong -- recursive searches examine the working -- don't you roll your
eyes at me, I'm only doing what you asked. Do you want to know how it
works or not? Fine -- recursive searches examine -- FINE you can figure
it out yourself, god you're so inconsiderate, I do so much for you, how
long do you really think you'd last if I wasn't here to do all your
washing, all your cleaning, cook all your
q
$ grep --help

$ man woman
No manual entry for woman
$

If you use vim or vi then the man pages follow the same commands/shortcuts. ctrl + e scrolls buffer downards, crtl + y upwards. / searches for any word you type after.

The most common problem people have is "how do I use this?" which is what the manual is designed to prevent.

Yes ty based Luke.

I’m surprised feminists haven’t gotten a distro to change “man” to “myn” or something yet.

fpbp

what kind of retard wouldn't use man

Yes you fucking neet, holy fucking shit the absolute state of this board.

>look up something in the manpage
>"for a full description see the info documentation"
I hate GNU software.

Quick question: How do I search case insensitive?

Use all lower case letters in the search, assuming you're using the default MANPAGER, less. You can also type -i (while reading, not as a command line option) to toggle case sensitivity.

>man $PROGRAM
Why is it an environment variable?

>ie autistic suckless software
You mean e.g., not i.e.
You call yourself autistic?

bsd manpages > linux manpages

Nope. Never used Linux, even.

>man
apropos and info master race here
>arch wiki
Ok, that and irc.

>info
kys

A classic example of Linux programs NOT being written to be used as the input to another program.
On Plan 9 it's
% lookman man
man 1 man # man(1)
man 6 man # man(6)

I dont need to, I have a huge manual called "the world wide web". The man command is fucking useless

>png for this type of picture

I use man pages but it's easier to search them on ddg and read them in a browser than in a terminal window.

pandoc
There's man -t on OSX or man -p with p9p man
There used to be a BUGS section on most OS's man pages
Just format the t-roff to PDF/PS

> (OP)
>I use it often, and I'm actually updating some right now for a few programs I'm writing.
>
>Usually I've at least done:
>>NAME
>Short summary
>>SYNOPSIS
>Very basic usage/syntax, same as Usage: from -h output
>>DESCRIPTION
>Detailed summary
>>OPTIONS
>The list of arguments with more detailed descriptions than the -h output but not too long. Anything needing more detailed explanation will get a subheading after the list.
>Some have an EXAMPLES section but I guess they all should really.
This sounds more like info material.

Any time I don't know the command syntax, it's always at the top of the man page

I use it all the time OP, who the fuck doesnt? Its great for remembering command options and learning new ways to use things. Obviously blows as a tutorial type of thing. I think people are disappointed when its not the latter and then never use it for the former

Ha, you're right I must have confused it with Vim. For that it's \c.

>doesn't have man installed
what kind of broken minimalist crap are you using?

I manually removed it and the 100 mb+ of worthless garbage that came with it.
Man pages are for archaic neckbeards in their 70's.

In b4 all Linux distros ship with
>alias woman man

This is some high level bait.

>doesn't actually explain anything, just gives me a list of arguments for the command

they often have sections after that such as TROUBLESHOOT -- very nice

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

But I don't use GAHNOO. When I say Linux I'm talking about an OS that uses Linux as its kernel, not specifically your abomination.

Are you using Android?

No

This needs to happen

is this guy a serial killer?