Buy a laptop to make a portable linux machine

>buy a laptop to make a portable linux machine
>linux halves its battery life
nice
>"JUST BUY A THINKPAD WITH MASSIVE BATTERY SO YOU CAN GET 5 HOURS USE"
nice.

I get 11 hours in my XPS 13 9360 with Ubuntu. Not sure what your problem is.

works on my machine

11 hours of what? How about browsing and video playback?
it is fact that any modern machine is going to have significantly reduced battery life due to lack of power saving and optimising functions on linux.

Linux has the power saving and optimising functions, but a lot of laptop hardware has secret and proprietary interfaces on a hardware level, which prevents Linux from properly using the power saving hardware.

So in other words linux does not have many power saving functions

GPD pocket manages 8 hours on Ubuntu, 2170p manages almost 5 hours on Solus, surface pro (first) manages almost 3 hours on Fedora.
No complaints about battery here except for the SP1, but that was shit to begin with.

General usage. Which for me consists of shitposting on chanboards, IRC, programming, and chink cartoons.

no, the hardware manufacturerers don't releases the source code to their proprietary driver blobs

Also I have music running all the time unless I am watching TV.

Thanks, I'm actually looking at getting an 8th gen xps 13 myself

So linux doesn't have those functions. I'm not arguing why, its just simple fact that it doesn't.

Its a decent machine. My only issue is that when I apply moderate pressure to the bottom of the case under the trackpad, the mouse stops working. Im not sure if this is a common issue, but it happened out of the gate with mine.

XPS is probably best case scenario. Dell literally supports Ubuntu on this model.

You're an idiot. The linux kernel literally has power saving functions. They work on models whose hardware interfaces are not proprietary. In fact they even work on some models whose hardware interfaces ARE proprietary and have been painstakingly reverse-engineered by linux programmers.

fuck off with your thinly veiled spoonfeeding thread OP

I doubled battery life by using linux. It all depends on your hardware.

Get a MacBook Pro™. It's good enough for these nobodies.

Video watching drains battery quickly because it's more demanding that what Sup Forums considers long battery life by shitposting on Sup Forums rather than demanding loads.

Try recompiling the kernel with different options. Or try BSD. BSD is compatible with Linux binaries even

Are you using hardware acceleration to decode video? Btw my Fedora machines get an extra 1-2 hours of battery life compared to W10.

Only happens on shit laptops. XPS happens to be one of the best lines for linux and shouldn't have battery problems.

TLP or powertop

@64658989
@64658886
>being this assmad that your bait didn't get replies
Stay mad maccuck

Have you tried with same display brightness settings?

And more storing data in RAM?

Cause you know, maybe it's not the OS which is wrong, maybe the product is build for...

Consuming power not using windows?

I still don't get it...

My desktop on linux can run 12hour idle on fucking auto battery.

Linux got cognitive programming plasma which makes you really in cognitive if you use windows?

Having plasma takes some computations to happen?

>>linux halves its battery life

Please stop using 3.* kernels

Sup Forums, how much battery life should i expect out of a XPS 13 (4K screen) running i3wm?

>powertop --auto-tune

>>buy a laptop to make a portable linux machine
>>linux halves its battery life
Woah… did I just time travel to 2008?
Nice, going to buy me a shitload of Bitcoins now as well as some Amazon, google and Apple stock.
Oh, and a shitton of X61, to store in mint conditions, so that I can mod them to X62 later, without having to hunt for working displays.

Common issue I think. My 9350 had a similar problem I opened it up to fix it. Videos on interwebs.

>Creator of javascript looks like a complete downie
Why am I not surprised

still it simply is not there in practice.

@??? Fuck right off

Download tlp and powertop. Sudo powertop --calibrate (or recalibrate, can't remember). When that's done, Sudo powertop --autotune. I get equal battery to windows if not a little better

Its a common meme to prevent (You)s, newfriend

Enjoy your xhci controllers randomly becoming an hero

set up at systemd service for it, so you not have to start it on every reboot.

/etc/systemd/system/powertop.service
-------------------------------------------------------
[Unit]
Description=Powertop tunings

[Service]
ExecStart=/usr/bin/powertop --auto-tune
RemainAfterExit=true

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

and enable the service:

systemctl enable powertop.service

You should pick robin williams as your role model

get same estimated bat life in w7 and arch
>but never really measured it

a wm has nothing to do with battery life
it's the cpu governor
the display brightness
wifi
sound
hdd
other stuff
easiest is with TLP (as user already said)

I get perfectly fine battery life on my XPS 13. Around 13 (lol) hours whilst browsing at full brightness and around 6 hours when streaming full HD videos.

>systemd

INSTALL TLP YOU STUPID FUCKING IDIOT

What a stupid fucking plebmaster you are, Thinkpads have even more options for optimizing battery life on linux operating systems. Just install TLP. tp_smappi and acpii_call and optimize it to your flavor. I get solid 9 hours on a year old T450 with a normal battery and 16 hours while reading pdf files without internet. I'll buy an extended 9cell battery a probably get >20 hours fo battery life.

You're a PLEBMASTER
KILL YOURSELF

no idea what are you talking about
installed Mint on Crapbook air 2017 recently
some tweaking later and it actually added 2 more hours of battery life

>installed Mint on Crapbook air 2017

>Linux forces their uses to manually fuck up and play around to get a proper battery life

Imao

I easily get 15 hours from my T470 running Arch for normal stuff like coding, youtube, netflix, etc.

Linux is too concerned with twenty different DE's to bother with silly things like power management. Windows is about 10 years ahead of them at this point that's why Linux geeks project so hard and post Microsoft/Apple hate threads constantly to distract from their own failures.