Green Day

I've never really had the time or the right state of mind to try to get into this band.

Be honest here, despite the 14 yo. emo kid fanbase, is Green Day worth to get into?

How do you feel about the band?

Are they actually good or just some shitty pop punk?

Discuss.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=7-u0Wr8ONcM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

try dookie and american idiot and then leave them

First three albums and American Idiot

As a musician, dookie has some great bass lines, and genuine good song writing. Theyre about the only "punk" band I can tolerate

american idiot and dookie are fantastic

>shitty pop punk
most of the time it was just commercial power pop

Dookie is always a fun listen

this and maybe some select tracks like paper lanterns

Their first up to American Idiot are great; after that they suck

Dookie is overrated as it gets. Inconsistent as fuck album. American Idiot, Nimrod's Son and Insomniac are all great and worth a listen though.

Dookie is their most fun album in terms of melody and songwriting but immature lyric wise. Warning is their most mature album in sound and lyrics. Insomniac is more like an alternative album to me than pop punk, it's their loudest and quickest album. I'd suggest starting with one of these albums. Then if you have interest go back to 1039 SOSHs and Kerplunk for some GD history. The rest are good albums but best saved for last.

Thanks guys

When I was younger I thought the time of your life was by some 40 year old guy

1. American Idiot
2. Dookie
3. Warning
4. Nimrod
5. Kerplunk
6. 21st Century Breakdown
7. All the pre Kerplunk stuff
9. Dos
10. Unos
11. Tre

Anything below Warning/Nimrod is only sporadically good but they can still be worth a listen imo

also Unos, Dos and Tre are basically all bad albums

I liked Dos

it's definitely the best of the three, maybe i was being a little harsh on it because the other two are just so mediocre

If you want a musical interpretation of being aged 16-26 and being a burnt out waste of space who blames everyone else for the shitty situation they're in (a white person) then everything they did before Warning is pretty good.
Warning is a cringe-fest, though, and it got worse and worse from there.
They were my fave band from when I was, like, 12 until I was about 16, American Idiot sort of soured me on them.

I'm not sure it's possible to tolerate them as an adult though. I can barely deal with them anymore.

I liked Uno, Tre had moments and dos was fucking horrible

I'm 20 and still enjoy their early stuff, but their more sentimental crap makes me cringe.

Macy's Day Parade still hits me in the feels for some reason though

If they weren't as popular as they are, people would be much more willing to acknowledge that they're a talented bang who write good, if simple, punk-pop songs. Definitely the best in their niche.

>I've never really had the time
TO LISTEN TO ME WHINE

1. Dookie
2. Insomniac
3. American Idiot
4. 39/Smooth/Slappy
5. Kerplunk
6. ?????

they had lots of nice songs up until American Idiot, their last decent album. I wouldn't call them a band that you "get into" though. There's not much to get.

They are shit. There is nothing this band can offer you. you say

>despite the 14 yo. emo kid fanbase

which I guess means your an adult. don't be a fool. They stole all their music as well.

youtube.com/watch?v=7-u0Wr8ONcM

musical cancer

i just bought dookie (again) off amazon

it's 10/10, the best guitar tones ever recorded in my opinion. some really clever and amazing bass lines. nothing about the album is chessy, which is nearly impossible in that genre. really an impressive album.

american idiot is above average.

their earlier stuff is good but not great. then after dookie their stuff sounds lazily written (not in a good way) except american idiot.

just listen to dookie a few times straight through

I always forget about Macy's Day Parade, it still gets me as well.
I've got either mad nostalgia for Nimrod and Insomniac or they're both just pretty solid albums as well. And I enjoyed Dookie more when I was in college than I did when I was a lil' Jimmy.
20's still pretty young, though, not that I'm all that much older mind, but you're still in peak 'young man' territory and Green Day are one of the seminal 'college rock' bands, along with Weezer.

This video is literally retarded. They're common riffs that everyone who has ever picked up a guitar has played.

Only the first one is accurate. The rest is too forced.

i can see the similarities in all of the songs except for the last one. not even fucking close lol

Some of their stuff is fun enough to put on a background while killing time.

listen to kerplunk and dookie. if you like those two try 1039/smoothed out slappy hours and insomniac. everything else is pretty garbage. This is coming from someone who idolized green day as a youth (4th - 8th grade) and have come back to their catalogue as a college student. American Idiot is really the worst kind of political music. v much on the nose and not even tolerable ham fisted politics like some shitty 3-chord underground punk band where at least their hamfisted politics have some vernacular authenticity. American Idiot is major label psuedo-profound rebellion. I hate p4k but their review of american idiot is pretty spot on. "everyone went a little bit crazy after bush got elected a 2nd time"

This

Kerplunk>Dookie>AI>Insomniac>Nimrod>Warning>1039/Smooth
Haven't heard the rest of the discography, but i'm liking them so far. Insomniac and Warning both are albums that sound pretty "samey", with Insomniac being hard and fast and Warning being slow and more lyric based. A few tracks were bad, but most of it overall is good.

39/Smooth/Slappy, Kerplunk, and Insomniac are punk, Dookie and Nimrod are pop punk, Warning, AI, 21CB, and the trilogy are alt-rock with punk influences. Can't wait for the new album, even though that christmas song last year wasn't that good.

Am I in a minority here for liking 21st Century Breakdown more than American Idiot?

Nope; I have them both at a same level. Kinda like better 21st.

Fun Fact: Mike Dirnt thought of the bassline to Longview while tripping on LSD. When he went to write it he couldn't even remember all of it, we only get a small bit of what was going on inside his head.

No

No, Mike Dirnt thought of the bassline to Longview after listening to lots and lots of Hüsker Dü. Too much, in fact.