Smashing Pumpkins

Smashing Pumpkins are the greatest 90's rock band period. Their detractors like Pavement are simply jealous of Billy Corgan's immense talent. The Smashing Pumpkins albums are in the same league as Pink Floyd and The Beatles. Billy Corgan's ear rivals Brian Wilson's, and his guitar playing is on par with Brian May. Jimmy Chamberlin's drumming is unrivaled by an any rock musician. SP went electronic before Radiohead, released a free album before Radiohead, and is only overshadowed by Radiohead because everyone in the industry, in a jealous rage, have conspired to keep them down.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zDG53906gX8
youtube.com/watch?v=hiinyZ8w23M
mega.nz/#F!xgQxWZiB!2xiiPDN9WAM25kaXz5sWNw
youtube.com/watch?v=5BOOF564RlI
youtube.com/watch?v=YgMqtK42a6s
youtube.com/watch?v=VPHiyntWy8w
youtube.com/watch?v=7Rr7th61VOk
diffuser.fm/billy-corgan-james-iha-one-and-two/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>le they are simbly jelly!
This is a shit argument and you should be ashamed. I agree that the Pumpkins get way too much shit due to Corgan's shenanigans, that they are somewhat underrated but with that post you're coming off as a meme.

How is this 'coming off as a meme'?

The overuse of this word in popular culture is becoming increasingly annoying.

'They made a meme out of it!!!' =/= someone uploaded one edit of the image with a caption.

Just fuck off already.

Sounds like shitty bait. People shit on the Pumpkins because of Billy's reputation, their change in sound and arguable decrease in quality, not because they're "jealous". Although I do think Adore was great, Machina is underrated and their only "bad" album is Zeitgeist.

>SP went electronic before Radiohead, released a free album before Radiohead

It's true though that this is ridiculously overlooked.

Maybe they didn't go full electronic or quite as impressively as Radiohead, but they still put out some quality electronic stuff. Eye is a great track for example.

youtube.com/watch?v=zDG53906gX8

You must not have heard their latest one, then.

Get off mu nosferatu

wasting trips to lie on Sup Forums

Monuments to an Elegy is amazing

youtube.com/watch?v=hiinyZ8w23M

Who decided the track order for the CD release and re-release of Mellon Collie? I listened to the original vinyl track listing for it after that thread last week and it was like a completely different album. Sounded so much better and had much better flow.

Wow, didn't even know about this. Might have to try that order some time.

Mellon Collie is the album that introduced me to the wonderful world of rock albums. I used to listen to it on headphones every night, sometimes multiple times. The original CD order is so familiar to me it just seems weird to try it a new way but I'll give it a shot. As it stands though, I don't share the opinion that it doesn't make sense. I think it has it's ups and downs but it makes it more meaningful. I like the sharp turns it takes, especially on the blue CD

>Pink Floyd and The Beatles
>implying Pink Floyd is in The Beatles' league

>Jimmy Chamberlin's drumming is unrivaled by an any rock musician.
Except Matt Cameron, who's better.

>Except Matt Cameron, who's better

I disagree, but since Matt Cameron played with Smashing Pumpkins I'll consider it

Speaking of which, that's one of my favorite songs of theirs, however, it's also like the one song that pretty much any session drummer could have played. Used the one-off Matt Cameron appearance for that. Beautiful song though.

THE WORLD IS A VAMPIRE

It's a shame they split up so soon.

Jimmy is a fucking great drummer and the pumpkins stopped sounding like themselves when he left.

Billy said that the only reason he put up with Jimmy's drug problem was because his drumming was excellent.

But a dead keyboardist is too far I guess.

I haven't really looked into James and Darcy s side of the story but it seems they were the jerks

>I haven't really looked into James and Darcy s side of the story but it seems they were the jerks
The picture I get is that they were less run-of-the-mill assholes and more just lazy and had their priorities twisted, particularly during the Siamese Dream era. Like they were more interested in sleeping/getting high together than they were in making an album, which is why only Corgan and Chamberlin (and Mike Mills) are on that album.

As for the Chamberlin situation the fact that it took the incident with the keyboardist to cut him loose from the band shows just how much patience Corgan had for him in particular. I mean his hands were completely tied at that point. People dying on tour with them was rightfully too much for him to tolerate.

Been meaning to hear that album. Which tracklist is best to start with?

Original vinyl track listing is fucking amazing

Here's a download for ya mega.nz/#F!xgQxWZiB!2xiiPDN9WAM25kaXz5sWNw

No mosh pits allowed

What's their best album? Never got into them, might as well give them a try (:

siamese dream. mellon collie is worth a listen but its got a lot of filler. some of their best stuff too though. nothing after 2000.

I mostly agree

before Smashing pumpkins got signed they didn't have adrummer and used a drum machine. the label said they needed a drummer. and that was way before radiohead too lamo

I would start with Siamese Dream.

Then look into their debut Gish and their most successful Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness.

Adore is completely different. Billy decided to go more electronic since he wrote 1979.

But yeah Siamese Dream, Pisces Iscariot, Gush, and Mellon Collie are all good.

I'm proud of you user.

That despite what everyone says, no matter how hard your family try to keep you down, you refuse. You refuse to bow down to the will of your brainwashed peers, the ones who push ideologies and social propaganda and regardless of just how much they push, and push, and push... you refuse.

Never have sex user. Not for them, not for him...

Anyone.

yeah they are anti moshing, probably since a teenager was crushed to death at one of their concerts

Not even kidding Cherub Rock inspired me to pick up guitar, favorite band of the 90s, let's keep this thread up.

When will this meme end.

The similar sounding songs are grouped together, giving a superficial impression of "flow" and "progression" that ties-in thematically with the discs' respective titles.

You unrepentant spastic.

Noice. Thanks.

>I haven't really looked into James and Darcy s side of the story but it seems they were the jerks
I watched a comp of Pumpkins interviews on YouTube and came off like a pair of cunty overly-sarcastic Gen Xers who couldn't even answer simple questions. I can't imagine having to tour with people like that. I now understand what the Simpsons was constantly satirizing in the 90s.

I mean I've heard Billy's side
>James works on solo album without asking Billy for critiques and advice, his album flops
>D'arcy and James are dating and their break-up just puts more stress on the band
>D'arcy decides she wants to be an actress without any acting experience
>Jimmy disappears for sometimes weeks at a time

He also said something like "james and d'arcy would be angry with me for stealing the spotlight in interviews since I did all if not most of the songwriting and the questions were directed to me, and all I could say 'what do you want me to do? write your own fucking shit then if you're so upset'"

d'arcy didn't bring much to the band but James seems like a bitch who wasn't comfortable enough riding on Billy's coattails and making money and fame

It almost makes me wonder why he even formed a band with all them in the first place.

>his guitar playing is on par with Brian May

At first it seemed like you thought Billy Corgan was good, but then you went and insulted him like this.

Rare Pumpkins coming through:
youtube.com/watch?v=5BOOF564RlI
youtube.com/watch?v=YgMqtK42a6s
youtube.com/watch?v=VPHiyntWy8w
The first one is fuckin great.

better than nirvana sure

Here's more rare Pumpkins

youtube.com/watch?v=7Rr7th61VOk

I just remember that SP filled this very specific gap for heavy rock that also had a lot of sensitivity and really advanced guitar and drumming; very lush production. my favorite group before that was Jane's Addiction and they broke up after Ritual. They were exactly that sound, too, and the Doors were probably the prototype. I was at a party and Gish was playing and I was like "That's it! What is this?" and they became my new band to obsess over. I just needed that sound. Jane's broke up and SP was right there.

Then a few years passed, I didn't realize they were getting a label push in the big markets. Siamese Dream dropped and my friends and I were blown away, but now the whole MTV machinery was pushing them on all the Nirvana drones and it just exploded. Everyone's parents were listening to SD. But honestly the record was so good I didn't see any reason to be bitter. The underground had hated Janes Addiction for "selling out" too and I didn't care. They toured the US and then after the world tour they did Lollapalooza, I saw them 4 times in support of SD. I can't believe they had that tour sched particularly with all the personal friction. no wonder they were all pissed off all the time.

But when MCatIS came out, the combo of it being a lot of filler on the double album, the producer switch from Vig to Flood and his sound, the annoying lyrics ("despite all my rage i'm still just a rat in a cage," ugh) and their overexposure highlighting what a smarmy dick Corgan really was just soured me on the whole thing.

I still listen to that early material pretty regularly, though.

I always thought Bullet with Butterfly Wings was a really cringe-worthy song, but it grew on me a lot.

And it sound better when the similar sounding songs are grouped together. Vinyl track listing is still best.

Bullet with Butterfly Wings is such a great song though, sometimes you have to embrace the cringe...
Then again I'm not a native speaker, so I can deal with bad lyrics.

Cool stuff, the video too, they look interesting in it.

Adore > Siamese Dream > Gish > Mellon Collie > Machina=Machina II > Oceania > Monuments to an Elegy > Zeitgeist

I mean, I'd forgot that was the title. I barely listened to Melon Collie, I don't even remember much about it.

weirdly, I actually like 1979 but just as a pure pop song. it may as well have been a different band, it was like listening to a sad version of 80s pop or something. but that sound was just not what I wanted out of my SP album.

loveless came out in '91

billy seems like a gentle man undeneath is autistic shell, i reckon he liked them at 1st but was too nice to kick them out when he started to get annoyed with them because by then hed already grown attatched to them, in interviews he talks about them like he cares for them very deeply, i think james comes off colder than he actually is

blown my damn dick off, thank you based user

I don't like Bullet With Butterfly Wings much just because it's the weakest song on the album to me, bar none. I even like those throwaways at the end of disc 2 better. They're different and at least they weren't played to hell and back.

Meanwhile, Bodies has some cringe-y lyrics too and that's probably one of the more bitchin' songs on the whole album.

>Greatest 90's rock band
>not NIN

>James being lazy
I disagree, I think he was just outright ignored by Corgan. James wrote some really great tracks for Melon Collie, but they never got used because "he didn't yell loud enough" or some shit. Even bully acknowledged that he should have let Iha take a more central role in songwriting.

*Billy

that rings true to me - not that I have any reason to make a verdict but I could see that being true.

>i think james comes off colder than he actually is

this too. particularly being pickled on all the drugs, I think he maybe freezes up to avoid getting hurt. the interview with him in the Vieuphoria home video, there's this telling thing. on the Gish album, if you recall, Iha and Corgan have really long hair whereas you could see Chamberlin was struggling to get his wisps grown out, it looked like crap. and in the interview, the bit where he breaks his "wall" is when he admits he felt hurt when Iha and Corgan both chopped off their locks right as his were finally catching up. I think the cold front and the drugs were to protect himself, he was really sensitive I think.

that's what is known as the classic freudian slip

His bookend pieces at the end of each Mellon Collie disc are superb but I would have to be convinced that his songwriting should have taken more precedent. Besides, the thing about him and D'Arcy on Siamese Dream is true. He got it together during MC but they were pretty uncooperative at that point.

>smashing pumpkins
>not limp bizkit

Most of James rejected MC songs are on the Aeroplane Flies High complilation. At least a couple of them could probably have replaced some of the filler on MC without any detriment to the record. Yeah I know the stuff about him and Darcy is true, that's why I didn't dispute it.

>Most of James rejected MC songs are on the Aeroplane Flies High complilation.
And it's pretty good, but you can tell it's on the box set for a reason. Besides, isn't that all of like three songs?

>At least a couple of them could probably have replaced some of the filler on MC without any detriment to the record.
Perhaps you're right about that, but it's kind of a coin flip between those and some of Billy's filler.

>Yeah I know the stuff about him and Darcy is true, that's why I didn't dispute it.
Noted, but that is what I was talking about in terms of his laziness.

A bunch of old demos got leaked on the internet recently and Billy is pissed the fuck off about it. Some of those songs included The Tracer off of Pastichio Medley, a version of James Iha's One and Two with Billy on vocals, and an alt. version of XYU, and I think a couple demos from Machina. Anyone get a chance to grab them before they got deleted?

diffuser.fm/billy-corgan-james-iha-one-and-two/

God damn Tracer is cool. I wish more of these tracks made it on re-releases instead of b0lly wankery

not sure if it's these exact sessions, and not sure what's up with the availability of it on the internet, but this material was put out as a bootleg CD called A La Mode after they got famous.

thanks for posting. their look really takes me back, this was actually a pretty common look back in that era's rock scene but the scene was a lot more invisible back then.

IT REALLY DOESNT. i hate when peoples ay this about mellon collie

James Iha's songs are so underrated.