Do you agree with Scaruffi Sup Forums?

do you agree with Scaruffi Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_(U2_album)#Reception
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Joshua_Tree#Critical_reception
scaruffi.com/friends/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>tfw i know 3 artists from "most under-rated musicians of all time"

I agree with most of his high scores but disagree with most of his low scores. I think he's too much of a contrarian some times.
>unironically giving the same score as revolver and rubber soul to an insane clown posse album
I mean, come on now.

>only three

>Pere Ubu
>Tim buckley
>Robert wyatt
>Faust
>Foetus
>nico

what a fucking asshole

I never really got the impression that Tim Buckley was underrated, but maybe I just hang out with patricians.

I like parroting what he says around my friends. It's an easy way to be better than them.

>aphex twin
>overrated
hmm okay den, scruffles

Everyone in the overrated section is still less overrated than Michael Jackson. Also how are GBV overrated? I would disagree with Pere Ubu being underrated also. Chuck Berry isn't even really that influential outside of early rock and r&b. Final complaint, the Beatles are absolutely more influential than 80% of the influential list, and that's a fact.

he is MASSIVELY overrated especially on Sup Forums

there are so many IDM artists who are actually good

No I see what you're saying Tim Buckley is a bit underrated but not most of all time. That's just stupid.

name a single better idm album than RDJ made before RDJ

he's a great techno producer, idc about all that "idm" shit

he called it idm and other people at the time called it idm and it was idm

fuck off back to /bleep/ with your deliberate ignorance

>even comparing the two
you clearly don't know what you are talking about

how so? this is why the term idm is so pointless and vague, first-wave idm was basically detroit techno/breakbeat hardcore/acid and it didn't get super complex until about '95/'96.

ok sorry, I shouldn't have said just IDM.But you know, right now IDM is mostly breakcore, while techno is just techno.

If you think about RDJ it has nothing to do with techno, and it's hard to find anything like that before. Maybe Tri repetae, but it's still unpolished and quite different (and more techno-ish)

buy other people do you mean clueless american journos? and besides rdj (and i've never heard him call it "idm" but i'll take your word for it), every other artist shoved under that umbrella thought it was really fucking stupid, along with most of the british press.

He'll have to change this list. It's offensive to call David Bowie and Prince overrated now that they're dead.

I rarely ever agree with him on anything.
Beefheart is not underrated, anybody who knows him sucks his cock like he's the musical messiah.

I don't care if you don't like the Beatles but you can't seriously believe that the Byrds are a more influential band than them. Are you fucking me here

>both prince and bowie on that list
they say death comes thrice
who will be next this year?
my money is on elvis

Your favorite album got a lower score from him than pic related.

>U2
>overrated
they are considered a joke by all the adults and the kids don't know they exist anymore

And this one.

tri repetae and rdj album are really not that much alike apart, honestly. rdj was messing around with drum n bass and jungle and fucking with that formula while tri rep drew much more heavily from hip-hop, techno, and electro - ae's influences in general are much more american than rdj's, or anyone else's under the ""idm"" banner for that matter.

what is aquascope?

>they are considered a joke by all the adults
lmao, no
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_(U2_album)#Reception
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Joshua_Tree#Critical_reception

these are both from the 80's, I'm talking current year senpai

well Scaruffi is talking about their high-rated albums obviously, no one think their modern albums are overrated

>the Rolling stones were influential but the beatles werent

I only agree with chuck berry and the velvets in the 1-2 spot in most influential artists, at least for rock music

>pen inventor is the most influential writer

by "influential" he means they came up with a new sound. Popularising someone else's sound for the US does not qualify in his definition

>sgt. peppers popularised someone else's style

>1967 was the year that FM radio began to play long instrumentals. In Great Britain, it was the year of psychedelia, of the Technicolor Dream, of the UFO Club. The psychedelic singles of Pink Floyd were generating an uproar. Inevitably, the Beatles recorded Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.

>Popularising someone else's sound for the US does not qualify in his definition
so why are the stones on there

piper at the gates of dawn and early floyd signles were influenced by sgt peppers lol

what is pet sounds

>Taking seriously the opinions of a decrepit senile pedophile old man
>In 1000+1000+10+1+1+1+1+1+1
This meme needs to die.

How come people rate Can so highly? I like them, but nothing they did really sounds very remarkable to me.

did you listen to Tago Mago?

Yes. I prefer Soundtracks and Future Days though.

those albums are much less remarkable, but yeah part of the reason Scaruffi rates krautrock so highly is the originality - you want to bear the year of release in mind perhaps

>originality == influencial

Halleluwah was released in 1971 and the tape effects it used made it along with the rest of the stuff on the album one of the first proto industrial albums that would become big 20 years later in the 90's.

what effects are you talking about, I don't hear any effects

How the hell can Beefheart and Pere Ubu make the top 10 of most influential? I can totally understand why the rest are on there, but both of said bands have influenced a very small niche of the music that has existed since then.

not massively overrated, but definitely overrated. still one of the best out there though, but I think autechre are probably better overall. I also prefer boards of canada to his stuff by a good bit, but they aren't very comparable outside of the fact that they're both 'idm'

This. I feel like he has good taste and obviously an insane amount of musical knowledge, but his ratings aren't consistent and he'll often give a solid album either a low or mediocre score for no reason even when he mentions that he likes it in the review. At least his scores aren't inflated, I guess.

>Beatles
>Elvis
>Prince
>David Bowie

these are all great artists

>U2

I agree with Scaruffi.

>underrated
>influential

acceptable lists

He didn't say that they are bad, he just said overrated.

>insane amount of musical knowledge

Get the memes out of your head

can't tell if b8ing or a sjw
the world is a sad place

>like he's the musical messiah
>like
>LIKE!

seriously? i always thought he's too lenient.

you pleb faggots put too much emphasis on the score. he doesn't

>Pere Ubu
>Beefheart
>Most influental

U fokin wot m8?

He does know an incredible amount about rock music. His theory isn't up to snuff but judging rock by the principles of Western art music is missing the point of the genre entirely

>by "influential" he means they came up with a new sound
So why doesn't he use the word 'innovative'?

>judging rock by the principles of Western art music is missing the point of the genre entirely
>rawk is all about dat gutteral feel
you just came out as a massive pleb. rock was created so that we could have Zappa and Henry Cow.

>Zappa and Henry Cow
*tips spork*

>Henry Cow
Put your trip back on, proge.

y the fuck hasn't he given any can album at least a 9

>rock was created so that we could have Zappa and Henry Cow.
>Zappa
>Henry Cow
ay lmao

I feel like half the shit he says must be due to whoever is translating his shit being terrible at translating.

No one on Earth could be deluded enough to consider Pere Ubu influential.

>All the adults

Well just no. All the adults do not think U2 are overated otherwise they would not have the most successful Live Tours of all time.

why would he bump it down

beefheart is influential as fuck, my man. can't say anything about pere ubu, though

Bruce Springsteen on the right

Only for classical music.

Didn't they invent post-punk?

If you mean "releasing an art rock album after punk dissolved" by post-punk then sure, why not.

That doesn't make you influential though, even though there is probably one guy in an indie band somewhere who regards The Modern Dance as the best albums ever no one else has heard of Ubu. Until people started using the internet as their primary means to find music I bet most of the people who knew about them only knew about them through They Might Be Giants.

It's so obvious that it doesn't really need to be explained but you need people to actually have listened to your music to be considered influential and I'm not saying that the most popular band is the most influential band ever either because that's retarded. When you make music you don't think back to every instance you heard a pop song on the radio and suddenly that somehow makes its way into the music.

lol

captain beefheart?????????????????????????????????????????????????

>beefheart is influential as fuck
how come?

Only influential in the sense that they regurgitated others' ideas into music that was popular, thus exposing more people to those ideas.

i think he means overrated/underrated with critics and i feel like most rock critics mention him like he's a footnote, rather than one of the greatest artists of all time like scaruffi thinks.

if someone else influences someone who then goes onto influence tonnes of people with the original persons ideas, its still the influence of the original person.

sgt peppers borrows ideas from musique concrete/ works, especially beach boys (who themselves were borrowing it from John Cage and others), but also frank zappa

the stones were one of the first groups to realize that writing your own songs was more important than doing covers. they are one of the first groups to create albums worth of original, creative, and rocking tunes.

this

>most influential artists
>rolling stones but not the beatles
is he retarded? like i dont see how anyone could say that even if they didnt like the beatles because every band is in someway influenced by the beatles and those who arent are inspired by bands who are inspired by the beatles. and the rolling stones are generic as fuck. IM SO TRIGGERED RIGHT NOW

>beatles combine merseybeat and dylan, inventing folk rock
>the byrds copy the beatles and make an act out of it

>the byrds are innovative, the beatles are derivative

>the byrds copy the beatles
goy, is someone living a Zionist media lie

>mcguinn is literally inspired to buy a rickenbacker 12-string and start a band after seeing the beatles playing folky pop music in AHDN

sure, but Dylan was always their biggest influence. not to mention they influenced just about everything the beatles put out after 65.

If Dylan was their biggest influence, they would have simply been another folk band.

The whole "combine Dylan with Beat music" was done by the Beatles first, and the Byrds made a career doing their own version of it.

stop being such a jew
Rubber Soul is a total Byrds rip-off

>trying this hard to deny the beatles' influence in the age where you can google anything

And the Byrds were "A Hard Day's Night" ripoff.

>Overrated
>Moby
EXCUSE ME?

Not really, but the man sure knows some good obscure records. Actually, he knows a shitload of anything related to arts. I go to his site when I need some recs for movies.

>Sup Forums
>being a factor at all

can i ask why this guy revered by Sup Forums so much?

what has he accomplished to be such an important personality on here?

>rockists
>having an opinion that matters
lol this is what Sup Forums thinks now

>Elvis is great
>U2 are bad
Opinion disregarded

>caring about the opinions of a man who keeps a list of all his friends

scaruffi.com/friends/

>the stones were one of the first groups to realize that writing your own songs was more important than doing covers

Of course