Fast is Good

People who knock down Yngwie, Satriani, Vai etc can never play fast. Look, there's nothing wrong with guitarists like David Gilmour or Joe Walsh, but can we dispel with this fiction that they are in any way, shape or form 'better' guitarists than the real masters of the instrument?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/qXtMCVHDddI
youtube.com/watch?v=4W3wX2aX7_s
youtube.com/watch?v=jY8wyKuLY2k
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Fast is good when you use it interestingly. I don't know Satriani and Vai very well but Yngwie's music is fucking boring.

Fripp is a fast player who does something interesting rather than set the fretboard on fire with explosive scale runs. He's not as fast as Yngwie but still very fast and some of his works are gonna be really fucking hard even to the meanest shredders.

I'm a fan of Yngwie, but he lacks one of the chief characteristics of a master, restraint.

I agree that Gilmour and Walsh are overrated.

Satriani is the only one worth a shit, mostly because he's so fun to watch play. Yngie doesn't know restraint and it's just fucking boring to listen to.

Satriani is technical wankery of the worst kind. An absolute lack of compositional skill and it all sounds the same.

whats the point in playing fast if the music sounds like shit and the only people interested in it are other guitar players who are solely interested in it because those famous shred guitarists can do what they can't

its like a side show at a carnival

still better than yngwie tho
but yeah i agree, most of his stuff does sound the same. i'm not a huge fan of vai either but he tends to have more variety overall

he makes pop music for guitar wankers, he's very inoffensive and has some kind of taste, Vai on the other hand is an amazing performer but you know, his tackyness comes with everything else and can be a bit too much at times

Malmsteen's output is VERY dated, Fripp is the most interesting of the ones mentioned so far but if I had to choos a great fast guitarist I'd say Al DiMeola

this

what you dont like the fans offstage blowing his hair while he plays whats wrong with you user that's not tacky at all

Mah nigga'

Flight Over Rio (Trading chops with Jan Hammer on keys)
youtu.be/qXtMCVHDddI

>fripp made this when he was 22 years old
youtube.com/watch?v=4W3wX2aX7_s
what's really impressive isn't the speed itself, but rather that he can maintain that speed for a whole 90 seconds

lel that's pretty fun but I mean generally his playing style, especially the way he uses slides and so on, I still like him but once you listen to it for years you start noticing all these little thing that get annoying after repeated listens

youtube.com/watch?v=jY8wyKuLY2k

Guthrie Govan, Shawn Lane, Allan Holdsworth can all play fast, but they don't necessarily do it all the time and their ''fast'' stuff sounds good.

>David Gilmour
>Joe Walsh
>Yngwie
>Vai

implying anyone gives a shit anymore about dadrock bands and 80's cheeslords

>applauding at 2:55
why

I bet these guitarists can make themselves cum in under a minute.

no it doesn't
their music is weird and unlistenable to anyone but sperg guitar nerds

there is no one on earth that listens to govan, lane, holdsworth that is not an autistic guitar player that thinks too much about technique and chasing the shred dragon

>if i can play like that, then ill be good and people will like me

we're talking about guitar playing in this thread. not our fault it's taken a backseat to computer bullshit and drum machines in modern times.

>their music is weird

Being weird literally is being novel, and being novel is literally the point of art.

True. Eh, what can you do? Nowadays, Sup Forums is like 90% pop.

>I bet these guitarists can make themselves cum in under a minute.

that's pretty normal for any healthy male