XFCE masterace thread

I see a lot of GNOME hate and KDE praise threads (most of them with reason) but also many XFCE users and nowhere to talk about it, so I decided to create this thread.

>Why XFCE?
- it's fuckin stable
- highly customizable: has desktop icons if you want them, doesn't look like a fork of osx/aero if you don't want to
- updates add only useful stuff and don't remove any feature
- can integrate with anything gnome related
- once you get used to the configuration, takes no time to set up
- whisker menu is awesome
- runs on every pc, even super outdated ones

>Why shouldn't I just pick GNOME or KDE?
- gnome Shell was a mistake, gnome devs are a mistake, everyone knows this in 2018
- KDE: too much bloat and gives you too many options you won't ever need, at the same time XFCE can be customized more, also it won't ever be as stable as XFCE. Unlike GNOME is a good alternative to considerate if you want a hassle free and ready to go DE.

>Why not i3 or any tiling WM?
If you're autistic till that point you'd be better off with those. People who need to get work done can't waste their lives configuring i3 and prefer something else.

>Why not just mate or cinnamon?
Because XFCE is an indepented project, based on gtk but not a fork of GNOME.

>Muh tearing
for intel just add:
Option "TearFree" "true"

Nvidia proprietary has a vsync feature. Everywhere else compton gets the job done if tearing occours at all.

>Why shouldn't I use it?
- takes some time to get used to the customization
- less applications/features than the big 2
- stock xfce feels outdated as shit
- good qt software (e.g. kdenlive, kdeconnect) has no integration with xfce, installing it pulls a fuckton of dependencies.
- konqi is cute AF.

Now that every meme is settled, I'd like to use this thread to discuss anything XFCE related: configs, development, issues, wanted features, personal projects to integrate with the best GNU/Loonix DE around.

Other urls found in this thread:

phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=KDE-Flash-Drive-Security-Bug
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I'm gonna install debian and want to purposefully make it look shitty and old, the 90s look. I only ever used tiling wms so I'm not sure but, is it easy to make xfce look really awful?

Not all multimedia keys work in XFCE, what should I do?
I can't even change the brightness of the display.

Tilling WMs are better. You don’t need to customize it, and working using keyboard keyboard only is more effective than using any GUI

Opps, I wanted to mention OP

I know but I don't want productivity, my main focus is just making it look awful ironically

if you want awful defaults go kde

>making it look awful ironically
Just install some Arc or Adapta theme.

sure, if your only purpose is issue neofetch they are perfect. Normal people need to work for a living and keyboard shortcuts are a thing.

>no Wayland support
There is no reason to use xfce

If you’re working on Linux, then you’re propably typing a lot(working with servers or coding, etc.). That means that you’re using keyboard mainly so why the heck you shouldn’t switch to any WM like I3?

>Wayland
what a funny joke.

XFCE is also the most... Human one? I don’t know the word to describe it. I just think its so easy to use, even my grandmother would understand it. But it also achieves to be so understandable without being a knock off of Windows.

The only complain I have is the blur. There’s no blur support, the only transparency is normal and looks ugly :(

>im an insecure weeb in need of cofirmation so im gonna write a blogpost motivating my choices
10/10 thread, masterace faggot op

4.14 when? They say the new xfwm will fix tearing so Compton will no longer be required for most hardware.
As for your opinion of KDE, I feel xfce gives you almost as many options which is why they're both good. But KDE wastes too much space. And it's GUI is far less consistent. I think the problem lies in the fact that they're making it mobile compatible too. So KDE is basically GNOME done right.

>blur support
That would significantly degrade performance.

I don’t care, I have a good PC, bad PC faggots can just turn it off.

A.K.A post your XFCE desktop thread :3

uwu mine

>insecure weeb in need of cofirmation
>projecting
>implying
nice typing skills, you must look like a gibbon in front of a terminal. back to >>/pcbg/ waste of atoms.

what about openbox op? it can even be used as a wm in xfce with no issues

for me, less hassle to set up, more features if you need them. other than that you are probably right.

anyone know how to configure multi-monitor application behaviour? I set up xfwm to upen new apps on mouse cursor, but most of them arbitrary open on one monitor rather than the other.

>Option "TearFree" "true"
Add where?

set them up in the keyboard shortcuts, if it doesn't work out of the box you may be missing the relative package. e.g. for brightness you can use xbacklight and set up shortcuts xbacklight -inc 10 -steps 1
xbacklight -dec 10 -steps 1
to increase/decrease by 10%.
Unlike the majority of the site, I don't speak about things I never used, sorry.
into your intel related .conf in xorg.conf.d/ either create a new one named 20-intel.conf or edit the one which defines the intel driver adding the option to it. The xorg.conf.d folder used to be in /etc/X11/ but has been moved in /usr/share/X11/
if you use a single xorg.conf to manage your X server you need to edit that instead. the section should be something like:
Section "Device"
Identifier "Intel Graphics"
Driver "intel"
Option "TearFree" "true"
EndSection

I don't know what "XFCE" is or does sorry.

>independent from GNOME
>requires GTK
"I don't know what Xfce is or does, sorry".

>for intel just add:
>Option "TearFree" "true"
DOESN'T WORK. FIX FUCKING DRIVERS ALREADY

would installing kdenlive on an lxqt install pull a lot of dependencies?

> if it doesn't work out of the box you may be missing the relative package
How it can be missing relative package if Unity, GNOME and KDE have them working?

KDE is the masterrace, but I can respect XFCE and LXQt bros.

Right now I have two machines that run XFCE and MATE and I am very satisfied by how smooth both are and how they accentuate my work/play flow. They're the perfect middle ground between lightness and modernity to me.

fix your brain
ofc they do, you pull in everything when installing those, xfce alone is super minimal and you add up from there, even xfce-goodies has bare minimum apps, as well as unecessary shit I must say, I'd like them to make goodies more flexible

OP didn't indicate in any way that he's a weeb, so why are you whining about this?

looks like plasma

tiling is shit. SHIT
small windows break formatting/visibility of content
cant focus on one task/disctractions hamper productivity
shitty ricer gaps make it even worse
not to mention how awful and bloated they are compared to full featured, intuitve, productive, and still decently ricable stacking window managers like fluxbox, icewm, jwm...
the ONLY utility these ricer trash tiling wms have is in retarded, unoriginal, unispired, derivative trash themes people post on desktop threads.
thats it. nothing more

Just use XFCE 3, it will be super stable and lightweight while also looking old (because it is)

Xfce on debian looks really awful by default, so all you have to do is install it (although it's only XP tier awful, not 90s tier awful).

>ofc they do, you pull in everything when installing those, xfce alone is super minimal and you add up from there
All right, how can I know what packages I should download?

depends on what you need on your desktop enviroment. Give examples of features you need which aren't included by default.

> tried i3, bspwm 150MB~ of ram usage at the start of the system
> opened some programs (Firefox, VIM, etc )
> closed them: memory used was 400mb~.
> The fuck.jpg
> same thing with XFCE4, 230MB at the start after some programs, 290MB~

Tilling WMs are better ...

I like lxde.

Does any one else like lxde?

What are the differences between this and lxde?

Xfce has more features and isn't dead

Hows it dead?

>Arc
>awful
WHAT?
Arc is awesome! (not arc dark though, dark themes are a meme)

>Wayland
It's shit, fuck Wayland

Devs moved to LXQt because gtk3 is garbage.

>flat
>awesome
lel

is gtk3.24+ garbage in general, or it's tied to the fact that gnome shell is utter garbage? I mean can the libraries be good with a good de implementation? If not, why are they so garbage compared to qt?

>compton
Compton is great
And not only because it solves tearing
On my AMD card I don't even have tearing even without a compositor yet I use Compton
Even if xfwm compositor was tear free I would still use Compton
Why?
Because Compton allows me to tweak and control how the shadows look
I made them look like Mac OS X shadows, subltle, large and blurry, and they look great with Arc theme, in fact they increase the usability
Also in compton.conf I have specified conditions to exclude shadows from many Windows
No other compositor does that
Btw xfwm is great too, best window manager and with good custom shortcuts it's much better than any meme tiling wm

>KDE
>masterrace
lol no
KDE is shit
It executes the name of a plugged in usb drive in a subshell
How the fuck do you fuck up so bad?
KDE is a joke
>KDE Plasma Had A Silly But Serious Security Bug
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=KDE-Flash-Drive-Security-Bug

>security vulnerability that requires hardware access
>already fixed

Wrong
>arc theme
>good flat design
vs
>papirus icons
>shit flat design
Learn the difference

A fuck up so bad isn't just a bug
It's the result of copy-paste development and too "smart" devs
In other words typical KDE

whatever you say bud

i use arc with papirus...

>shit can taste differently
Sure thing.

>2018
>no high dpi scaling

Working media keys
>brightness control
>screen source
>wi-fi/bt control
>volume control
>mic mute
>sleep button

I love how hassle-free xubuntu is as an xfce experience

you can set them all up by yourself, first make sure xfce recognizes your laptop buttons in keyboard/shortcuts, if every button is bindable to a shortcut you can set every one up by googling a bit. Ask yourself: what's the command to do X action in the terminal? find it, try it in the terminal, bind it to the button. Linux is about searching and learning. Every action u listed is bindable.

Do you wait for the Year of Desktop Linux?

My regex teacher uses XFCE with some slight customizations. I've used it once and hate the defaults. KDE is the future btw and I want to hug konqi.

>150MB~ of ram usage at the start of the system
What a fucking bloat....

its comfy desu :^)

why do XFCE when you can compiz standalone instead?

Linux is a kernel, cannit be a desktop.
I'm actually better off with retards out of Gnu/Linux, if it becomes windows-like popular it will be a worse version of android/chromeos/latest ubuntu which are bad in their own and take away all the freedom it is supposed to give you.

samefag

This is already by default available on laptops and keyboards with function keys. If you don't have fn keys then you obviously need to manually make shortcuts.

>XP
>awful
You're a faggot.

> >Muh tearing
> for intel just add:

> Option "TearFree" "true"
Hey I'm a brainlet where does that go

>Can't put panel on the left side of the screen, only the left of the absolute most leftward screen you have.
>This screen is also your primary monitor where everything opens by default and you cannot change this.
>Mfw my desk has an old 4:3 secondary monitor off to my left which is normally turned off unless I'm working on something or multitasking.
>Xfce users still want a Windows 95 style taskbar taking up real estate so they can switch windows by taking their hands off the keyboard, picking up the mouse, moving mouse vertically to the pane, clicking on the window they want, and moving their hands back to the keyboard.
>Apparently xfce users don't just alt-tab or want to hit super to see their open windows and keyboard navigate to the one they want
>You also can't launch programs by hitting Super followed by the name of your desired program, like GNOME, KDE, Unity, Windows, and every other modern user interface system.
>If you set a keyboard shortcut to do this and not break your workflow with other OS machines (because you have a job) it breaks every other shortcut you have created that involves Super + X.

Is xfce a meme?

>Muh just add Option "TearFree" "true" into this obscure location which isn't done by default for some reason bro
>But I'm not on a 7 year old machine with integrated Intel graphics
>Oh. Then good luck have fun LOL

GTK 2 will eventually die, use LXQt with modern Qt 5

>>Why shouldn't I use it?
I have a 4K monitor.

>You also can't launch programs by hitting Super followed by the name of your desired program
You mean Alt+FE3 or super? What more do you need?

The last one isn't even an argument. It's common sense and would occur on any fucking OS. Make a different shortcut and get used to it.

As for everything else, yes, Xfce has terrible multi-screen support. It treats them all as a single screen. So if one of them is a touch screen it becomes useless because touches aren't registered absolutely on a single screen but relative to others. For example, having two screens and touching the middle of the touch one would actually result in a touch being registered in between screens.

>>Xfce users still want a Windows 95 style taskbar taking up real estate so they can switch windows by taking their hands off the keyboard, picking up the mouse, moving mouse vertically to the pane, clicking on the window they want, and moving their hands back to the keyboard.
>implying there's something better

Thanks for not helping retard.

> But I'm not on a 7 year old machine with integrated Intel graphics
There's literally instructions in the OP for non-intel graphics

into your intel related .conf in xorg.conf.d/ either create a new one named 20-intel.conf or edit the one which defines the intel driver adding the option to it. The xorg.conf.d folder used to be in /etc/X11/ but has been moved in /usr/share/X11/
if you use a single xorg.conf to manage your X server you need to edit that instead. the section should be something like:

Section "Device"
Identifier "Intel Graphics"
Driver "intel"
Option "TearFree" "true"
EndSection

Thanks m8

>once you get used to the configuration, takes no time to set up

This.

>makes a thread about Xfce
>writes it in edgy "XFeCeEs" all caps
this is why nobody takes you seriously

using it on my x220 with antergos but i feel like i have to move on but on the small screen it's still the best option, if you don't want to go full minimalism.

>tfw even the other 2 DE are capslocked and just because they are acronyms .

this is why your parents regret you and no company hires you. XFCE was originally caps locked and acronym for XForms Common Environment, recently the devs defined it X Freakin' Cool Enviroment, making the capslock optional. I like it that way. Nice try, next time educate yourself before firing your keyboard bullets.

XFCE is so limited when it comes to multiple monitors. The devs seem to be lazy as fuck.

KDE and Gnome are even worse though. I love bloat, but not when it gets in my way. And that Gnome is an abomination needs no argument.

op here, not sure if KDE is truly worse at multi monitor than XFCE. It could be the only reason for me to switch when I'll buy new desktop and add a third monitor. I hope 4.14 comes out and fix window placement at least.

>fix window placement at least.
Not sure if that will happen. They don't have a lot of devs and have already decided that their main focus is getting gtk3 to work. Which means features are secondary and won't even come in 4.16, let alone 4.14.

what does a de/wm have to do with multi monitor support? just use shit like xrandr to set those things.

I stopped using xfce and switch to budgie for my lighter desktops and kde for my home rigs.

Solus with budgie is a dream just like kde neon but with a stable bleeding distro instead of the Ubuntu base.

Option "TearFree" "true"
Works fine on AMD for me.

I love XFCE, it's lightweight and easy to configure.
I wish I made the switch from Gnome earlier.