I know Adobe is industry standerd, but I don't like there subscription service plan...

I know Adobe is industry standerd, but I don't like there subscription service plan. Is it possible to work for a graphic design company if you use open source programs? I've been busy with scribus, but I heard its hard to import scribus files into programs like indesign. So I'm wondering if it will be difficult to find work at a printing company or a grahic design office if you are not using the adobe package. Anyone know some good programs to use for graphic design that are open source?

Other urls found in this thread:

eyemagazine.com/feature/article/the-programmed-designer
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

If you want to make money, you use the best tools available.

I know Adobe is probably the best, but I can't commit to subscriptions right now. So I'm looking into open source alternatives. It should be possible to make good quality graphic design layouts or other things with other programs.

It is possible, but you'll inevitably have compatibility issues since adobe are cunts about their proprietary formats and supporting open formats, and since most of the industry uses adobe, they can get away with that.
Scribus is the best foss alternative to indesign that'll get, and inkscape for illustrator.

>Is it possible to work for a graphic design company if you use open source programs?
No. Unless you know InDesign and/or Quark Xpress, you don't even need to hand in your resume. If I get a resume on the pile and it mentions Scribus, I'll assume it's you and just straight trash it. Consider this post the response.

Thats too bad then, guess I'll have to look into my options then. I believe Quark express can still be bought without subscription if I'm not mistaken. My financial situation isn't great right now. So I'd prefer something I can use for free like scribus, or something I can purchase in one go and be done with it..

Scribus is alright but the printing companies you want to work for will extremely likely not switch or retrain anyone or even *try* to work with the scribus output formats.

So it probably isn't an option, despite Adobe being faggots making overpriced shitty software.

It's €829. Costs an arm and a leg. The nonprofit version does not apply to you, since you're using it for training yourself for a job, but check with sales anyway, maybe they're feeling generous today.

> It's €829. Costs an arm and a leg
Dirt cheap if you can get employed with just that.

Professional training and university degrees are worth tens of thousands of Eur (if YOU didn't pay as much, it cost your nation as much even without including the time you spent).

The problem is that OP wants to get employed. This implies OP doesn't have the money right now.
As an aside, I doubt just having the program and messing around with it is enough. Graphic design also requires intricate knowledge of best practice and typography, both of which are vast fields.

For the general graphic design world, id say probably not.
Within certain spheres, where critical graphic design is a thing, the Adobe monopoly is a fairly new topic, but has been getting more discussion and coverage recently. Eye magazine recently published an article that briefly goes over some of these concerns.[1]
Pretty much everyone I talk to about this topic is interested in it, despite maybe not having thought about their software in this way before (although this is mainly in the academic graphic design bubble which does have quite a disconnect from the outside world on what is practical.)
To be honest FOSS software is just not a good enough user experience and too different/incompatible with Adobe's current monopoly to be usable in the context of a design studio or anywhere else that has to send files between people.
As for Quark, pretty much the only places i've seen using it are old publications/magazines that are stuck on old template files.
I've been trying to use Scribus recently more for my personal work, but its just such a pain in the arse to use, and doesn't seem to be aimed at anyone creating anything other then basic layouts, it just seems to weigh you down when you are trying to do something more experimental.
If you are against Adobe for ideological reasons other then just not wanting to pay money for it, i'd say just pirate it and block all their domains in hosts and use scribus for your own projects, become comfortable in both.

[1] eyemagazine.com/feature/article/the-programmed-designer

imagine charging money so some idiot can rearrange shapes on a screen..................

wow

Or you could just

pirate it until you get the job?

Piracy is a crime.

its ok, im a nigger

You said it yourself. Adobe is the industry standard and they are just really that far ahead of the competition. Some programs like corel and Affinity are catching up, but it is going to be a long time until they do.

>what is torrenting

Install GIMP.

Is it still viable to use freehand in this day and age?

>So I'm wondering if it will be difficult to find work at a printing company
Printing company isn't doing design, you just use whatever software interfaces with their printers best.
Might not even be windows...

No, unfortunately. Adboe made sure to add a few new features in SVG that Freehand can't support.
They really wanted to kill Macromedia. Shame too.

Check their publicly available PDFs on their website. The PDF creator field in the document information will usually show what it was made with. You'll find a lot of InDesign on macOS.

A lot of the users that clung to Freehand after it was killed off by Adobe were Mac users and it hasn't worked on OS X for years.

As the Freehand file spec was never released by Adobe after its death there must be so many files in peoples archives that can't be opened anymore. (OpenDocFoundation have a project figuring out the Freehand file spec though, although I've never tested it.)

> Work
> Using FOSS
No
It's not possible