Lets be honest here headphone jacks are a dying tech...

Lets be honest here headphone jacks are a dying tech. Whats the point in having them when usb does exactly the same if not better? It's ironic that a field that prides itself on changes and innovation still hold on to an archaic tech

Other urls found in this thread:

xiph.org/video/vid2.shtml
medium.com/@flimshaw/a-eulogy-for-the-headphone-jack-aabda6c66cd8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

TRS connectors are still being widely used so I doubt USB will replace them all.

This. OP confirmed as 100% fucking retard.

3.5mm is good because it's an agreed upon standard. USB headphones for PC is fucking cancer because of driver issues and """utility""" software. I'd use USB earphones on my phone but I fear I might run into similar issues. Not to mention compatibility issues (we already see this with the volume rocker on the cord of some 3.5mm earphones)

>Whats the point in having them when usb does exactly the same if not better?
It doesn't. That's the point.

>Whats the point in having them when usb does exactly the same if not better?
Prevent pointless duplication of the DAC in every playback device? Enforce standardization and prevent the development of a proprietary software infested audio ecosystem? Don't fix what ain't broke?

they're cheaper

Your ears can't parse digital audio

3.5mm is useful, but styling is desperately important and so is caressing smooth stylish phones while displaying their smooth smoothyness, so the idea of physical ports of any kind offends smoothesthetes.

Autismal resentment of acknowledging their device IS a device means more devices with fewer features, and eventually a Dune (the movie) -esque world where function is concealed and only Art is displayed.

It's retarded but it is what it is and Apple proved it profitable. Reliance on crippled portable devices instead of choiceful equipment means the market will cater to artfags who object to choice because choice requires decisions.

Countering that is the small, but real market for choiceful Free and Open devices that are more tool and less art.

It's the Apple vs. Thinkpad debate writ large and the Apple meme is winning. Not a problem for creative versatile people but even the old Applefags who are (real) pros feel the loss (and latency) of inferior wireless connections.

If you viscerally object to choice, buy Applel-meme devices and be happy.

No dongles = more convenient. And all decent headphones are 3.5 only.

Who the fuck is being paid to make these shill anti-headphone jack threads?
Really activates my fucking almonds.

Analog connectors between digital devices is fucking stupid.
I have forsaken wired headphones and microphones ages ago and never looked back.

USB > *
Bluetooth > *

Also the "analog hole" for copying audio is closed by ending analog connections. Of course you can work around that "for now" but DRM isn't going away.

This

>headphones
>digital device
Fuck you

Bluetooth is shit.

A headphone jack was the same half a century ago, and will probably stay the same for the rest of human history. The same can't be said about whatever USB port your phone has, and Apple smartphones already have a different port than android ones, so you are either already forced to buy a dongle, or you will be in the future.

You can't totally DRM audio like video, because an analog signal will have to reach the drivers no matter what you do.

>headphones
>not digital devices

Since when moving coils and membranes are digital devices?

What's the point of reinventing the wheel?

You can't hear digital, retard. It's needs to be turned into an analog signal at some point

Until I can find earbuds for my phone that's more durable than an angled 3.5 then I'll switch.

Even then I'd still have to wait for headphones to make something thats compatible with USB and also works on all my devices

>the absolute state of Sup Forums

>speakers ports on phone "2020"

Until your ears can process digital sound, fuck off.

On apple meme potato there is minimal difference.

>You can't hear digital

Speak for yourself.

>digital device
don't talk about shit you don't know about faggo

Yea you can, it's called a square wave.

>"dude...what if we convert digital to analogue in the headphone instead of the phone"
>"Dude weed lmao"
No. Fuck off

A square wave isn't digital because it doesn't carry digital data, it's just a wave form

Expensive headphones require expensive amps anyway. There is no point in having a dedicated desktop amp when you can just combine the two and have a single device which performs the same function.

>Expensive headphones require expensive amps anyway
Only if you buy headphones that require an amp, plenty of decently high end headphones that are perfectly ok without an amp

Its just Apple railing the consumers in the ass to force their fanatics to buy expensive Beats headphones to listen to their iphones. I don't understand why other manufacturers are helping apple sell their headphones by not including a jack in their products.

Because poor people who can’t afford bouetooth peripherals.

xiph.org/video/vid2.shtml
digital sound is not made of square waves

One of the things that worry me is that I'm sure that if I plug and unplug things on the usb port at the same rate I do it with my headphones on the 3.5mm port right now, it'll break, so not only I'll have no headphones, but I won't have charge at all.

well, you can send analog signals trough a USB Type C, right?
I mean, Type C is the GOAT connector for all we know.

That would be an acceptable solution if phones had two type-c ports.

No one is really required to have to have analog passthrough on type c they can choose to have it or not, Type C is also still largely unproven in longevity, spec sheet says it should last longer than most any other ports we have but that has yet to be proven

My ears cant differenciate between analog sound and digital, so I feel no need to sacrifice the only port on the phone for earphones, maybe if they started making phones with multiple ports, but even then manufacturing digital earphones would cost more, so replacing lost, broken ones would accumilate a higher ammount of spent money, which is what manufactures would want and probably will happen, considering removable batteries were in the same state few years ago and dont exist anymore on new devices

>my ears can't differenciate [sic] between analog sound and digital

I've been asking myself the same question. Someone is obviously shilling for no headphone jack acceptance. It's super obvious.

I for one will never buy a phone without headphone jack.

>can't differentiate between some waves and some 0's and 1's

how does it feel needing dongles for everything little things?

*every
fuck

Until smartphones come with 2 USB ports, the 3.5mm jack is well and truly alive.

headphone jacks ftw
kys i-fag
medium.com/@flimshaw/a-eulogy-for-the-headphone-jack-aabda6c66cd8

What the fuck happened to the 2.5mm port?

are there any good, cheap bluetooth recievers. please don't recommend any chink deathtraps.

I tried bluetooth headphones ans they suck. Need charging all the time and cut out *a lot* on packed commuter trains where there aren't enough channels to go around. Also the whole pairing thing is a major hassle

/thread everyone

Headphone jacks have survived a hundred years because they're simple, reliable, robust, cheap to produce and implement, and also have a degree of freedom (they can pivot) which is an added benefit of their brilliant design. They survived until now because they're the best for their field of application, and surely they won't die because less than a quarter of the global smartphone market decided to give away yet another piece of flexibility of their favorite devices.

As long as we don't have a protocol for transmitting digital signal without interference, delay, loss and still keep a high degree of audio quality, we'll still have wired connections between audio devices.

Even if jacks disappear from normie gadgets they won't disappear from prosumer or professional equipment, because it's objectively better than any bluetooth or wireless meme.

There's no wireless way of matching the quality offered by balanced cables with TRS connectors.

Sure, for casual phone listening it might be ok, but if you want quality and lack of interference you go physical.

dead, fuck that tiny bullshit, 3.5mm is a good compromise between size and durability.
Fuck also whoever decided to use 2.5mm when a 3.5mm would fit just fine

Square waveforms can carry digital data as a container, but they are themselves analog; They have an amplitude, a bias, a frequency/period, and a duty cycle.

Why even have USB? You can charge the phone wirelessly with wave field technology. Just use bluetooth and WiFi peripherals. Same deal with PC honestly. Plugging wires into technology is depreciated.

Nah, USB ones are garbage when compared to a 3.5mm. I can plug into any piece of audio hardware without needing some special adapters or drivers.

I will never buy a phone that doesn't have:
>SD slot
>3.5mm jack
>Removable battery
How fucked am I?

This. And still widespread usage in military communications. There are companies that offer wide selections of older/legacy/contemporary connection interfaces for mil-spec

>now I have to replace all my headphones because the 3.5mm jack somehow was depreciated

Exactly. Plus applications in military/naval telecommunication and data transfer. There are tons of companies producing 'ruggedized' variants of standard analog connections.

>headpones
>digital device

Apple just wants to make money off of the headphones now. Other companies are just trying to keep up with the 'trend'.

Shilling so obviously. I bet you don't even have an iPhone to enjoy not being able to use phones while charging.

>I can hear digital signals

>a dying tech
>140 years old
>still works
hmmmmmmmm

Tell that to Apple, the ones who started fucking meme. They don't seem to care.

The removable battery isn't at all a problem, since it's fairly easy to swap batteries on any phone, even iPhones. I guess it's also a plus that you have to run all over the place to grab the pieces if you happen to drop the phone. 100% agree otherwise.

Removable battery I can live with since it offers certain benefit. With removable battery you have to fit your phone to the battery while without it you make your battery fit your phone, giving you longer battery life in the same volume.

Wired connections will always be superior to wireless.

>Higher data throughput
>Higher maximum power transfer
>Port is dedicated to it's task, no sharing one connection with dozens of other devices.

WHY ARE THERE NO BALANCED TRRS 1/4 SIZE CONNECTORS!!!

Batteries degrade way too quickly unless you are ridiculously careful with your charging habits.
I prefer to be able to replace a worn out battery for $10-20 than to have to send it to a service for a way pricier replacement, or in some cases be totally SOL and have to get a new phone.

>Don't fix what ain't broke?
What year are you living in m88.
Leaving well enough alone stopped being a thing 20 years ago.

You know what's good about headphone jacks? I can mix and match equipment from the 80s and equipment I bought yesterday with literally 0 issues.

because XLR

XLR is is a fat piece of shit that is over kill for headphones

I don't care if its thick as hell but let me have a phone that uses 18650s so if I ever need a new battery I don't even have to get one for my specific phone and it would cost less than $10 for a top shelf cell from lg or whoever

>Noooooo you're supposed to be buying new shit every year!!!

I like how these soyboy companies tout that they're green, sustainable and shit, but then they disallow you from using your old equipment.

You could buy headphones from the '50s and they will still work with the Chinese quarter inch plug adapter that came out of Fujian last week.

>soyboy companies tout that they're green, sustainable and shit,
Literally the only reason why they even mention that shit is to virtue signal to appease millennials and any action they do take is peanuts in the grand scheme of things.
In reality they couldn't give the slightest little fuck about the environment

Just met the guy having trouble connecting headset with his new iPhone.
Fucking dongle.

True. Wireless earphones are much more exciting.

DIE APPLE FAGGOT

*blocks your path*

Look like shit.

Until wireless music quality improves I'll stick with wired, the drop in quality is fucking staggering.

I think the tech for the adapter should be improved. why does the USBC-3.5mm or Lightning-3.5mm have to have a cable or be bulky? Couldn't they have prepared for this shit?

I'd rather lose the USB-C plug and use wireless charging than drop the audio jack and use Bluetooth

wow u guys are fucking simple minded fucks
tech ? lazy ass do u need some one to open the fen door for u ...............Bluetooth will always suck dick thst why apple makes u use it......

I'd like to stay with my trusty old 3,5mm.

Would Airpods even be able to keep up with the 10mbit bitrate of some of my flac files? How much bandwidth could those reliably support anyway?

I've been using this for a couple years, but I guess it's kinda obsolete by now.

i can't be bothered with usb chink headphones enabling malware on my smartphone via usb

welcome on Sup Forums, where everyone thinks they're smarter than anyone around here because of narcism

Even if headphones were a digital device (They're not, retard), literally every communication channel is an analog medium. Anyone who's taken a signals class knows that analog transmission is STILL THE MEDIUM DIGITAL TRANSMISSIONS TAKE.

discrete fourier transform???
a square wave is just a sum of sine waves. Not some magical "digital" wave form

>Sup Forums
>>>/reddit/

>not using superior XLR cables for professional audio
I'm sure the audience really enoys the crackling in the audio while a cable gets pulled out

$5 have been deposited to your iTunes account.