How the fuck do you stop Windows from getting slower over time? I have a Windows partition exclusively for gaming...

How the fuck do you stop Windows from getting slower over time? I have a Windows partition exclusively for gaming. I don't do ANYTHING else with it, except let it update. I don't browse the web or use any other programs besides the games themselves. I did a clean install from an official ISO. Yet it is now noticeably slower than it used to be. Do updates make Windows slower?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2YlkCv2Ns54
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

don't let it update

>vulnerable to a whole universe of exploits
>CPU unpatched against meltdown/spectre
I recently reinstalled windows from recovery partition and now 'system' keeps making my HDD spike at 100% for a second multiple times per minute. The disk is verified as healthy so it looks like something fucked up

certain updates might change speeds for certain tasks, depending on the load (see Intel's recent "fix")
check your boot disk speeds, sequential and random. if they're significantly slower than when you started, you might have an issue.
video card drivers are getting more and more pack-in crap, uninstall all of that and get the driver itself from the chipmaker's site.
disable "startup" programs that might have built up over time from updates of software.
and the big one is registry fixes. Windows loves to break shit in the registry during updates. usually it's not catastrophic, but it slows down crap and generally takes up pointless room. there are lots of programs that fix or clean up registry errors.
don't forget to do firmware updates as well, might help with the newer versions of W10.

it might be superfetch doing its first pass over your system files. it often maxes out hard drives during this process.

Its not maxing out for a long period of time. Just randomly peaking and spinning up then going silent. I'm thinking of wiping the whole drive and trying to install once again. Its annoying as the installation itself is working fine, its just the odd HDD activity that makes me worried

By installing Source Mage GNU Linux
It's an OS for real BASH hackers!

You are not protected from Spectre V2 anyway since Intel retracted their MCU.

You don't. Windows rot is a real thing. It's like preventing rust. You can't entirely. You can just slow it down.

>clean up registry

Come on, this is not needed and you know it.

if you're already cleaning up the system, why not? plus some errors compound on themselves if another update assumes those files are in working order, leading to actual slowdowns and possible noticeable errors during use.

Restore your system partition from your backup image..

did you run the ISO from the old OS? then it's not a clean install.
also it seems like you're using a hard drive for boot, have you defragged? Try moving to an SSD when you get the chance.

2 simple steps:
1) delete windows
2) install gentoo

Everything can be penis.

Back when I ran Windows I had to do a clean reinstall about once every six months to avoid noticeable slowdowns.
The early days of NT 5.0 were amazing, but once it went mainstream Microsoft fucked it up again.

So your best option is probably just to do a clean reinstall regularly, or upgrade to an OS that doesn't constantly shit its own bed.

Anyone here mastered slot conflict in gentoo?
Fucking can't understand.

>don't install bloatware
>don't download shady shit with potential malware / virus
>turn off programs and services on startup, unless you need it in the background
>clear out recycle bin, temp files every 6 months or so

My mother's win7 install still runs decently fast, even on an ageing 7200rpm drive.

>Windows from getting slower over time

That literally doesn't happen unless you're installing a shit ton of garbage that's starting up with Windows. Just disable all that crap that you don't want running 24/7. And defrag your junk.

defragment harddrive, don't update, and don't download random stuff.

If you're running windows 8 or later, none of this will work, as it intentionally gets slower over time to force you to upgrade.

I love you.

Use Windows for video games, use Linux or MacOS as your main OS.

dont use a shitty hard drive that maxes out at 10MB/s disk usage

I had the same Win7 install on my desktop since launch with no slow down and just "upgraded" to Win10 the other day. So long as you're not gobbling down malware, Windows won't slow down.
youtube.com/watch?v=2YlkCv2Ns54

this. "updates" and "upgrades" my ass LMAO