You are slaving away and killing yourself studying constantly to get a CS degree

>you are slaving away and killing yourself studying constantly to get a CS degree
>they bootcampd their way into a "dev" career and make more then you/ they'll have 3 years experience when you'll be getting out of college

why did i fall for this dreadful meme jesus christ lmao

hard work is a meme to make mindless serfs more productive
don't work hard, work smart

its over for computer science subhumans

I taught myself for 5 months into a "dev" career then switched to data science after 6 months.
Going to college for a CS degree is for those that lack the willpower to teach them self.

Degree requires a shit ton of willpower. First of all, the idiots merely learning through the school (vs. out of enthuasism in their own time) are going to make lousy developers as they see their jobs and have no will to stay updated other than what they get paid for. School is also hell for these as they know none of it from before and are required to study. This field requires dedication and enthusiasm.

Secondly, those enthusiastic enough who enjoy this shit, self-thaught themselves and landed a job sometimes are courages to get a degree too and it's hell. Everything is so easy it's hard to stay motivated. What you're doing on your free time and work might actually matter but the school tasks are just forced, easy and time-consuming. Then again, maybe my Uni just sucks.

Career-wise, is it better to graduate with a near-perfect GPA knowing the bare minimum from a mediocre university or a shit GPA knowing a lot from one of the best universities?

>Degree requires a shit ton of willpower.
No it doesn't.
>Reddit spacing
Makes sense.
Stop drinking the college/uni kool aid.

Depends on who you know when you finish school.

*breaths in
I GET MIINIIMUMMM WAGGEEE DOING FULL STACK EMBEDDED DEVELOPMENT IN C AND C++
RUN FROM CS RIGHT NOW

>Reddit spacing
Oh no, did I hit enter twice once for readability? I must come from Reddit.

Also, maybe degree doesn't or didn't require any willpower from you since you were a lonely neet with 24 hours a day to spare. Try working for 8-10 hours a day, have multiple paying projects on your free time, living with your wife and on top of that finding the time for some fucking redundant GUI development tasks that are in no way difficult or motivating, but require a decent amount of time. It's not even the programming or math that bothers me, those are semi-quick and I have passed them all already. It's the languages and other useless bullshit that teaches me nothing and absolutely requires a 80% attendance. Sure I can do those math and programming tasks cutting an hour of my sleep but I sure as shit can't get my ass to class every other day for months.

>graduates with near perfect gpa for 4 year college
>girl with 3 week bootcamp has better chances at employment

>murica
well, better kys then.

>were a lonely neet with 24 hours a day to spare.
I was working a manual labor job, which is the reason I learned to program to begin with and I was able to get a job within 6 months.

Is this really the state in the US? I recognize none of this. Ppl with CS degrees are amongst the top earners with academic degrees here.

im : yes in the US
its litteral mad max wasteland here; h1b visas prowling the street like undead
I have no benefits or healthcare either hahahaa

EU here and can confirm. The pay is the best after law and med.

I was working a manual labor job as well. Got a new job with three times higher pay (has gotten way higher since) within six months of starting the studies (mostly because of my personal projects). I almost have my master's but I still need to complete some classes with attendance requirement and dull, time consuming tasks.

>"dev" career meaning anything

They make $60k and they'll be fired the minute pajeet's h1-b visa is approved. Meanwhile I make $250k with my "meme" CS degree.

Because most CS degree are actual joke that leave you clueless when it come to real work getting done. They are better programmer after a 6 month bootcamp than you will be after a 5 year degree.

i cant get a single dev interview after an AS in dev, 15 years of home exp, and going for a java cert now. seriously, fuck my life.

Part of the issue with a lot of graduates is that they don't have any activities outside their degree. They come out of University with an extremely narrow skillset and even narrower mindset.

You'd be surprised how much something small like a ham radio cert or scuba diving cert makes you look like a more well rounded, interesting person. That's not even to mention obvious things like having played a team sport, having been in a school or personal band, or having served in the military.

You know, something, anything, that shows you don't just stare at a television screen and have some actual experience doing anything.

>do degree
>get automatic experience from the universities student clinics

They're getting better 2bh, but I think apprenticeship learning for uni degrees is far more practical than just getting a bit of paper. It's too inefficient job allocation wise.

Why does this matter in US? I'm a senior developer but I also take part in some interviews in my company and we literally don't give a shit about anything unrelated to the actual job description. It's usually the nerds that make the best developers. One of our best developers barely passed University, had zero extra-curricular activities, but had a ton Linux-related programming experience from his free time. Why should I care if a developer has a scuba diving certificate? God US is a dumb country.

diversity meme is real especially among the nontechnical retarded women i.e. HR

A boot camp will land you a job as a javascript code monkey.

A degree will land you a job in whatever field you're actually interested in (protip: not becoming a javascript codemonkey)

Also, I worked full time while I did my master's degree so I already had 2 years experience when I graduated.

I remember when I was getting out of college we would get these tutoring sessions on how to get jobs, navigate the market and so on. And they always told us to describe your hobbies. Don't ask me why, must be a marketing technique or something.

On an other hand my curriculum attracted a lot more attention after stufdying abroad for a year.

I think a big part of it is that fitting in with a company/team is pretty important, and you're more likely to fit in/not be a sperg if you have extracurriculars and hobbies.

Who would've thunk that people don't want to work with socially-inept autists?

How’d you fuck up that badly? I’m making well over 100k 2 years out of college.

If you aren't trolling, you need to find a new job now

>going to college for the """education"""

Lmfao. The Internet gives you an infinite amount of free education at your disposal. University is entirely about networking, building responsibility and time management, and taking advantage of every opportunity your school has to offer. This is true for any degree, not just comp sci. If you're going to school with the intention of it magically making you a hireable programmer, you're a lost cause.

You should be becoming friendly with professors with their foot in the door, going to job fairs, participating in research opportunities and co-ops, networking with peers that have their shit together, building a github with upper coursework, joining clubs and organizations that look sexy on a resume, and independently programming many hours a night on top of all of that.

You're paying thousands of fucking dollars to have all these opportunities and influential people placed at your feet. Don't fucking waste it all learning some bullshit any neet could teach themselves in five months through free YouTube tutorials.

this but unironically desu

Does my GPA matter when I apply to jobs after I graduate? I have a shit GPA due to my non cs classes.

Most jobs now require a degree

Lies you can't get a data science degree without a math background

if you need to 'study constantly' for your CS degree, then you are TOO STUPID for the major--which is sad really, considering CS is the major dumb people who think they are smart tend to flock to.

once you have a job where you know people your qualifications become irrelevant

the good money comes from having good connections

Took recently an operating systems course, and while the content of the course itself was quite straightforward, there are some exercises about process synchronisation with semaphores that were quite hard user. If you tell me that you could do any exercise about semaphores right after you read the course then I would be really impressed. For me it took it tool a whole week of hard work to feel confident enough about the subject.

i keep seeing anons here working in corporations
are you fucking dumb?

his idea of "data science" is google fu and python libraries

>if you need to 'study constantly' for your CS degree,
but what if he really wants to understand the material instead of just memorize things for tests?

This is exactly what degree are for.
It's literally illegalin my country to underpay someone with degree.
I'm 23, "software engineer" junior and get 3k+/mo.

Isn't that on the lower scale for software developers, what country?

Dude. First you get a job as a self-taught dev and you use the money you earn to go back to school.

You apply what you learn at your job and write better more efficient code.

Fuck these people. The fact of the matter is that a degree makes you more marketable. The university system is designed to make you take shit courses so professor's can justify teaching feminist studies. Academia is a hell hole. But until people come up with respectable independent schools for CS you're stuck at uni.

In reality, you should be able to have a master's degree equivalent in 4 years. Associate's degree is useless trash. But what can you do?