Why is it that Millennials don't want to carve out their own identity in music?

Why is it that Millennials don't want to carve out their own identity in music?

Most High Schoolers/Middle schoolers mainly listen to bands from the 00s or 90s. We can't have another grunge movement if kids don't care about any current bands.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Pgmx7z49OEk
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>their own identity
>another grunge movement

I mean grunge movement as an underground act completely explodes into the mainstream

There hasn't been another Nirvana since Nirvana

>Why do highschoolers listen to music from 20 years ago
>They should listen to modern music instead so they can revive a 20 year old genre
>mfw

I understand what you're saying though. I feel that listening to older genres is just part of an accelerated culture and trying to be cool when you're young has always imitating what those that are older than you think is cool. Which is now celebrating their childhood in whatever time period.
That said the 2010's has already carved out it's own aesthetics, just listen to Sophie, Roly Porter, or Nicolla Ratti's latest album. I just don't think millenials are angry enough for that new sound to be something akin to grunge

>Underground that explodes into the mainstream
Vaporwave and to a lesser degree noise hop

>Most High Schoolers/Middle schoolers mainly listen to bands from the 00s or 90s
I doubt that's true. Regardless, bands from the 00s are still relevant to "Millennials," as many will have been teenagers in the 00s.

The 10s seem to be focusing as much on identity politics as music, and I think with hindsight you'd end up seeing this as the defining and standout feature of this decade of music. Rather than through the pure angst and anger of the 90s, the music of today seems to rebel by expressing different points of view. However, I will say this is felt more in the way people talk about music (see: any Pitchfork review on hip hop or the way people talk about Beyonce) than the music itself.

>That said the 2010's has already carved out it's own aesthetics, just listen to Sophie, Roly Porter, or Nicolla Ratti's latest album
But those are all underground acts. There hasn't been an artist/band that exploded into the mainstream and caused a cultural shift like Nirvana did in the early 90s and even My Chemical Romance in the mid 2000s

The oldest millenials would be in their 30s. Stop using that word to mean whatever group of people you're talking about.

Millennials carved out their own place in post-hardcore, metalcore, etc.

You have a point, but I'd argue that with the internet the concept of what constitutes the mainstream, especially in regards to music, is becoming more and more ambiguous. In that sense I'd say what you're looking for is more of a spirit than any specific artist leading the pack; like what that MCR brand of emo, grunge, or hard rock were to their respective time periods. I'd honestly argue that for the 2010's that "spirit" is vaporwave or at least the irony that underlies it which manifests itself popularly through stuff like Rihanna's short lived sea punk craze, Yeezus, corporate tv cash ins on memes, etc. Because if anything is mainstream culture at this point it's internet culture.

times change ->

Doesn't MCR technically count as a millennial band?

Agreed.
They had created their own form of emo subculture which radically changed several punk/metal genres.

They were more sad and attention hungry than they were angry.

This. An entire decade of music discourse is gonna look goofy as shit in retrospect. Music isn't made in a vacuum, context is important, but it's not the most crucial thing when discussing a new album...

Kind of funny how that form of emo completely submerged the old one to the point where people have no idea who the fuck bands like Sunny Day Real Estate are.

Agreed. Maybe it's just a learning process, and we have to go through this extreme of obsessing with context to get to a point where we take into account everything in proportion of importance. That's certainly how I see the rise of social justice and identity politics on a wider level (an overreaction ahead of an equilibrium), but I guess that's not a Sup Forums topic.

>The 10s seem to be focusing as much on identity politics as music
This is without a doubt going to be the defining factor of this decade. I really do wonder what comes afterwards

Idk OP I kind of disagree...it's not like the "alternative revolution" or w/e was presaged by tons and tons of high school kids listening to dinosaur jr and sonic youth...it was a few disparate groups of weirdos at college radio stations, and eventually one weirdo "college rock" act (Nirvana, duh) had a crossover album that opened the floodgates for other bands. This could definitely happen again, especially since we are currently in the depths of some of the worst poptimism since the late 80's, combined with rampant neoliberalism, conditions not dissimilar to those that enabled Nirvana to enter the mainstream.

Hopefully corporations will appropriate it for a profit, effectively killing it as a 'hip' thing.

>what is hip-hop

It's already happening

youtube.com/watch?v=Pgmx7z49OEk

>an overreaction ahead of an equilibrium
Simple harmonic motion of culture, neo-conservatism is already becoming a thing and a backlash against social justice can be observed on most social media. At the rate culture is moving now it probably won't be more than 4-5 years by the time we need to become more liberal.

They do, what happen was hip hop and electronic music replaced rock music in this decade.

Visit any high school and you will see wiggers listening to Drake and what not.

I guess would be my answer to that question.

It's already happening. I mean, that Beyonce album is pretty much a corporate appropriation of the whole feminist identity politics thing, but people are still eating it up. I'm sure they'll get bored/realize what's happening within a few years.

Probably true. It's funny how easy it is to get caught up in these things in the moment

Vaporwave still seems like an underground sensation now with a large cult following
It feels like were stuck in the late 80s with nothing but pop orienated shit being shat out every week while Hip Hop which was once dominating the radio in the 2000s has becoming a dying breed with Drake, Kanye West and Kendrick Lamar being the only ones keeping the it alive

It really feels like were long due for a music revolution that will define the era as grunge did in the early 90s and even nu metal in the late 90s. It just seems like everything has already been done to death that the idea of a rock band becoming huge today is much lower than it was 20 or 10 years ago

>hip hop becoming a dying breed
lol, no. Hip Hop is currently the trending genre.

And the equilibrium can't come soon enough. My biggest complaint with social justice warriors is that Identity politics take precedent over literally everything else, including things that magnify/exacerbate the conditions they whine about (like gee, idk...poverty?). What good are gender neutral pronouns if you can't make rent or feed yourself?

Remember dubstep?

It's been declining in popularity gradually over time

Upper class western women complaining about workplace harassment pisses me off so bad.

She's so fucking rich, she should stop pretending like that's ever happened to her, she's virtually untouchable.

Poverty is such a constant historical problem, I wonder if it will ever become the main focus or if we just keep cycling through less important stuff to argue about

seriously stick your head out your damn basement, hip-hop in all it's various iterations "won" for all intents and purposes.

>+ term "rap"
white people mostly call it "rap"
also rap is demonstrably more accepted in society

Speak for yourself. I'm in college right now and everyone around me is obsessed with Kanye, Tame Impala, & Mac DeMarco.

if you add the term "rap" to it "hip-hop" suddenly becomes less than 10% of the searches

okay but google "trap", "rap", etc and you get a different result.

when's the last time a good rock band emerged? White Stripes?

>no 12 year olds today have listened to TS, Kanye, Drake, 2 Chains, and Nicki Minaj

QOTSA

White Stripes aren't good.

Young people have always done this. In the 90's teenagers were listening to Led Zeppelin

Parquet Courts :)

I think vaporwave definitely has the potential to become something big. Also worth noting is that a lot of milennials seem to share a very cynical and jaded outlook on life, not to mention senses of humor rooted in irony and sarcasm (with many exceptions) which can influence music in a lot of ways. It'll be interesting to see how this all plays out, to be sure.

he said "good" not "critically approved".

Kind of funny that SDRE did the same thing and that no one knows bands like Rites of Spring

Not really.

Better than alot of the nu-metal shit that was mainstream during their run...just saying. Also they (and Radiohead) created the paradigm/established the upper ceiling for the success of "critically acclaimed" rock groups in the new millennium.

>reddit loser shit and to a lesser degree shit.
Stop posting.

>We can't have another grunge movement if kids don't care about any current bands.

God help us if that's all that's keeping another wave of the worst shit to ever vibrate the air at bay.

>who is Young Thug

I don't know how much the searched terms matter, you need more of a demographic representation through a music service.

Politics have always worked in circles in reaction to world events. Reagan is renowned because he was an important figurehead during the Cold War, Kennedy pushed Civil Rights in the 60s, Monroe blocked all other countries out in the name of Manifest Destiny. Eventually, we'll get back to one or the other, which makes even and efficient governing difficult because of partisan rhetoric, super PACs, backwards thinking (I do not mean conservatives, I mean people that are legitimately biased negatively towards sex, sexual orientation, race, etc., it's irrational and rooted in the same broken logic of the parents and others from the last generation) and then there's extreme leftists, extreme rightists, both of whom are entirely wrong, those that are either uneducated in general or misinformed on policy and governing bodies, what exactly a vote means and so on, as well as those that don't have a worldly enough scope or are willing to blindly deny any logical argument given because they do not like it. I'm pretty sure we're heading into another conservative period, with the looming war and an increasing want of patriotism so we can rally behind a war that we started some 40 years ago. Fucking stupid bullshit.

>I don't actually know anything about the current state of underground DIY music

grunge is just shitty punk

we have meme rap right now, which is just shitty hip hop

That's pretty broken logic you have there...

Middle and high school kids are NOT FUCKING MILLENNIALS. Millennials cut off circa the mid 90s, it's the last group to remember 9/11 in some form

>In 2013, a global generational study conducted by PricewaterhouseCoopers with the University of Southern California and the London Business School defined Millennials as those born between 1980–1995.[23]

>In 2014, the Pew Research Center, an American think tank organization, defined "adult Millennials" as those who were 18 to 33 years old, born 1981–1996.[25] According to the report, the youngest Millennials are "still in their teens", and "no chronological end point" has been set for the generation yet.[25] In 2016, Pew Research defined Millennials as those born between 1981–1997.[26]

>In 2014, a comparative study from Dale Carnegie Training and MSW Research was released which studies Millennials compared to other generations in the workplace. This study described "Millennial" birth years between 1980–1996.[27]

>Gallup Inc. which is a large company that does polling tends to use 1980–1996 as birth years.[29][30][31]

This made me kind of sad. It really hits close to home seeing close to home seeing musicians get recognition because of their political stances given that music is my favorite thing in life and politics is probably my least favorite thing in life. I guess that's one reason that me as a millenial have a hard time relating to a lot of current popular music, I want to hear sounds, not half of the concert being political statements between the songs that are too political statement.