I'm a Mechanical Engineer

I'm a Mechanical Engineer.

I want to learn a computer language on my free time.

I have a general Knowledge on C and Mat Lab.

What does Sup Forums think i should focus on.
Also i would appreciate Links to sites that would help me in learning the language.

Thank you.

Other urls found in this thread:

greenteapress.com/wp/think-python-2e/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

pi af aka asset framework for the osisoft pi system, for process engineering, electrical engineering and more! Pi stands for process intelligence and it's used o. Data historicans like osi pi.

Hello Pajeet.

Do you like the Google Translate?

Install Gentoo and learn Malbolge.

pisquare.osisoft.com

Python, it's easy, quick to do shit in, and very well supported.
Thanks to stuff like numpy it's also very useful for engineering.

>Mechanical Engineer.
Brainlet detected

This, brings CS stuff to non CS people. A great tool for engineers desu.

Thanks for that I'll take note of it
however I didn't completely understand what you meant by
> Data historicans like osi pi.

Unfortunately not a pajeet, or else i would have known 5 languages by know and be working at facebook or google.
> Gentoo and learn Malbolge
can you elaborate why ?

>Do you like the Google Translate?
I love it always helps me translate from english to french when ever i need it.

>python
is it useful in application, such as its use in companies, etc.

Why do you see us as brainlets.
At my university its the most competitive branch of engineering to get into.
Additionally one of the hardest to graduate from.
curious to know why you look down on us.

greenteapress.com/wp/think-python-2e/
Good luck have fun.

Maybe C++ would be a good idea, but you should probably ask in your department if they have recommendations, especially for research projects or what else is used in the industry.

A CS toddler just called you a brainlet, ignore him.

Electrical Eng. student here.

A combination of Solidworks, Matlab and Excel is pretty much all you'd ever need as an Mechanical Engineer.

Programming-wise, Python is great for everyday uses especially because of Numpy and Scipy, But I don't think you'd find anything you need to do that Matlab won't be just as valid, if not the easier option.

as a mom i agree

there's not a lot of reason to learn another language when you could level up in CAD and MATLAB.

Aerospace stress engineer checking in

What do you do user? I'd learn FEM if you do anything structures-related

General knowledge on matlab i have.
Solid works im average
NX Siemens Im above average.

On my university BAJA team so i i had to FEM a bunch on componenets before i sent them off to be manufactued.

It really depends what you want do do with it. Is the goal to have a better tool set for mechanical engineering? If so then focus on Matlab/Octave and Python for just werks number crunching. If you want to write really optimized number crunching then C, ASM with a focus on SIMD, C++ with a focus on how to keep it from turning your code in to a cluster fuck, and maybe FORTRAN.

Forgot to add if you do the optimized number crunching direction then you're going to want to study numerical methods. Browsing Octave's source and paying attention to its development may be worth it. I follow their mailing list and these guys really know their shit.

Learn the basics of HTML and some back-end language such PHP or Java and build a BI website oriented to companies that needs how to increase their financial status.

If you like FEM, go deeper because basic linear static models are pajeet-tier at this point. Learn about non-linear, explicit, modal/frequency-domain, XFEM, or something along those lines to have relevant skills

Python or C++

Learn Python and contribute to FreeCAD.

>Numerical Methods
Apparently the course will be hell, but im taking next semester

What program do you use to FEA your parts.
And where can i learn more about XFEM [what does the X stand for]

Personally, I prefer Nastran as a linear static solver, with Hypermesh for preprocessing and Patran for postprocessing. I use Comsol for multiphysics modeling, but its CAE and meshing tools suck ass. But look into what tools and FEM types are used in your industry of choice and stick with those. I've never used Siemens NX, but have heard it's pretty good

XFEM means extended FEM, Google is your friend

MATLAB and C++ is all you need to know.

hi, mechatronics fag here that ended up in software. Best way to learn software is to pick a project you are interested in and just start using the tools associated with that project.

We learned C and C++ in school (just one course each) and it was just a basic intro that you can teach yourself in a month or so if you are dedicated. I really got into learning C++ when I bought an OBD2 adapter for my car and tried to write software to read and write to it and thats how my journey started. You need a project like that.

For a lot of people, creating a website or a video game is their first project, you may want to look into those things.

Thanks

>Solidworks, Matlab and Excel
I can use all of these three, but I'm just lacking of experiences on Solidworks and Matlab so I don't have any guts to put those two on my CV. I also can use ANSYS but like before, I'm lacking of experiences. Feels bad man.
I know and understand couples of simulation programs for designing powerplant since my thesis was around powerplant. Still it's pretty useless for getting jobs here which mostly around manufactures and oil+gas industries.

Just put it on your resume nigger, no one expects a college student to know anything

B-but I don't like lying.

Just out of curiousity, have you ever tried Fusion360? I abandonned Solidworks entirely after ezperimenting with it.

t. Industrial Designer (brainlet).

>I can use all of these three
If that's true, just put it, you can explain exactly how skilled you are in the interview

O-okay, time to update my resume.
Thanks user.

Engineer here. AutoCAD/Solidworks is a must. Python is nice, especially since these days you interact with a lot of stuff on a scripting level. Fortran is good if you want to get into really computationally heavy stuff.

>>python
>is it useful in application, such as its use in companies, etc.

It depends on the level of software support a company has. These days it's not uncommon for a company to have a core of software people who design all sorts of engineering tools, that engineers then use and interact with using a scripting language like python.

Ganbatte, user-kun

Triggered non-math major detected.

But I am a math major...

I just don't want my engineering Bros bullied by CSlets.

Nice, I hear you guys make $300k starting

Only if you do the abstract stuff, that no one outside academia has ever heard of and probably will never have any real application whatsoever.

If you actually learn something relevant maybe you will just make a comfortable living.

>AutoCAD
I'm glad I'm a structural engineer.
Revit >>> AutoCAD