Has Windows 10 recently been killing off boot sectors?

I've recently been victim to an awful coincidence. Something like two weeks ago the boot sector on my Windows machine died, at the time I didn't blame Windows 10 but just an hour or so ago I got a text from my grandparents to say that the same sort of thing has happened to them (they're blaming the fact that they installed the Insider Programme a few days ago). Now I doubt that they've just got a random hard drive failure and I also doubt that this is just a coincidence. Has Sup Forums been seeing anything like this recently? Has Microshit been putting out some terrible updates?

Also, just to be totally clear, this isn't a cry for help - I know how to fix this shit, I just want to know where to direct my rage.

Other urls found in this thread:

answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/windows-10-boot-sector-corrupted-and-unbootable/77f1d7fd-a5c5-49a9-aed7-ba2a80209484?auth=1
knopper.net/knoppix/knoppix-uefi-en.html
vault.theworkpc.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=Q2niQJAe95g
twitter.com/AnonBabble

i thought this was a known thing that windows did

Not to me, is it common problem with updates?

How do you even fuck up an update so bad that you kill the boot sector?

Windows always thinks that it's the only OS on the machine.

I'm aware of it doing shit like getting rid of other boot loaders, but I've never heard of its boot loader self-destructing.

windows 10 has been confirmed to be the only os to be on new computers that have new computers with no possible access to a bios loading screen, they want you to depend on the windows 10 refresh and roll-back software that comes with windows, so no installing linux or any older windows on those new machines

...cont...

we put a usb linux live disc loader into one of the "new machines" with windows 10 and selected the linux usb, and load up the usb selection low and behold it reboots itself back into the windows 10.

It's an old Windows 10 problem.

answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/windows-10-boot-sector-corrupted-and-unbootable/77f1d7fd-a5c5-49a9-aed7-ba2a80209484?auth=1

Wait, how can you have a computer without a BIOS?

Have you tried making a live Windows PE like MS DaRT produces? Knoppix will boot on many UEFI machines too.

knopper.net/knoppix/knoppix-uefi-en.html

I just downloaded this and it's reasonably light and fast on my test T61, but I don't have any personal UEFI machines to try it at the moment. Also has link to theoven so you can build your own. If it works well for you pls poast results.

vault.theworkpc.com/

UEFI replaced conventional BIOS.

I feel like if I was more knowledgable, that'd break my heart.

Fuck me.

>asked June 2016
>last updated January 2018
What's up with that?

No, you'd just have more fun.

Yes, it has been a huge pain in my ass lately.

I have set up w10 on 3 or 4 laptops that shit the bed randomly right after a fresh install and 1 user that had just installed updates on their pc and got caught in some retarded restart loop.

I really don't understand how they can fuck up updates that badly.

It's like when you're a kid and think all grown ups are responsible, then you grow up and find out no one has a fucking clue what they are doing.

Honestly, after they did an update last year and broke my SQL import tool, I stopped being surprised by their incompetence.

>installing develloper snapshot
>WHY IT NO WORK
>WINDOWS BLOWN MY PC
I'm not the kind of person supporting MS but you and you're old folks are fucking retarded.

Odd, I too had thought that I had stopped being surprised by their incompetence, but shit like "Windows update has bricked my machine" really crosses a line for me.

My machine didn't have the Insider Programme, but I did warn them not to install it on their machine.

It happened to me on my grandfather's computer. Installed Windows 8.1 first, then Linux. Everything was fine until I installed Windows 10. Windows 10 fucked up the boot sector for Linux.

this happend to me after a windows update, I had to reinstall windows nothing else worked, tried all the usual commands to repair things.

if linux is on a separate drive, is it fairly safe?....

I have multiple machines with SecureBoot enabled with the default MS MOK key because of Bitlocker, Linux works fine beside them.

Stop using non-SHIM Linux or disable SecureBoot. Ignorance is no excuse.

I can confirm that Windows 10 had once fucked up my bootloader after an update and I had to use the disk utility to put it back together. I have a dual-partition scheme with Windows 7 in one (my main partition) and a Windows 10 in another (which I just use to game remotely in my Xbox One).

That's what happens when you replace a work-force of competent men with diversity hires and a fuckload of pajeets who can't even be trusted with proper toilet usage.

That, and as far as I know, Windows doesn't check updates for consistency... Your connection is partly to blame as well.

youtube.com/watch?v=Q2niQJAe95g

The latest Windows 10 build is borked.