/pmp/ - portable music player

/pmp/ personal music player general
This thread is for the discussion portable mp3/FLAC/OGG Vorbis players.
>inb4 phone

Useful Guide(s)
• The General /pmp/ Guide has been updated again, thanks to your efforts → spit.mixtape.moe/view/fefcb363
• Converting an iPod video 5G/5.5G to a rockboxed player with an msata SSD and a 3000 mAh battery nullvoid.station.moe/Freedom-Hardware/Video5G-Rockbox/
• Third party battery guide
iflash.xyz/3rd-party-extended-battery-guide/Guide for iPod 6G/7G needs adding/making
• Rockbox 3.14 released, significant battery increase compared to 3.13. The battery increase was from the cpu scaling patches, which has been available on dev builds for a (long) while.
• Reminder to use Rockbox DEV builds when available.
• Use the SonyNWDestTool to remove the volume limiter/warnings on most of the Walkman series
rockbox.org/wiki/SonyNWDestTool

Other urls found in this thread:

head-fi.org/threads/comparison-cowon-plenue-d-vs-sony-nw-a35.832786/
bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1334874-REG/pioneer_xdp_30r_b_digital_audio_player_black.html
nytimes.com/2017/07/07/fashion/mens-style/ipod-nostalgia-baby-driver.html
aliexpress.com/item/chink-zif-sdadapter/32269933384.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>tfw I worked a shitty office jobe with a 4 hour round trip bus/metro rail commute over the last summer
>tfw lost my rockbox'd iPod Classic somewhere along the ride
>Tfw somwhere

Why is the fucking click wheel upside down?

>inb4 phone
what Neanderthal uses a devoted mp3 player these days
next you'll tell me you own a discman

Turns out the internal storage of my Clip+ died and I can't start it up anymore, resetting and holding down the volume when plugging it in boots rockbox but then it goes into kernel panic. What's a good replacement recommendation?

Should i revive my 4th gen iPod (broken hold button ribbon) or start looking for 5th gens to kit out? It refuses to play nice with a microsd mod but I have a new battery in it.

fiio v3

whats wrong with having a dedicated player?

>discman
Nah, i rock the blue CrossTrainer.

Grayscale or photo?

Greyscale 20gb.

what's right with having a dedicated player? your phone literally has all the functions of an mp3 player. this isn't like an ereader where you can point to stuff like ink displays or whatever, your phone literally has the same software. it's the same device, but it does more and faster. there is no reason for an individual to own both.

Not hip enough

Get a photo one instead and use the one you have for parts

Is there any noticeable difference besides the screen? I only use rockbox on it.

Do $3000 A&Ks and Walkmans actually have better sound than a $50 Sansa Clip or standard smartphone?

What phone has the best audio to use as a pmp? I don't want to have two electronic devices in my pocket.

It's more compatible with the SD card mods (No 60gb storage limit bullshit)

Mine worked but only if it was formatted on a mac, making rockbox not. I'll look into it I guess.

you're right a phone has the same functions as an mp3 player. but i like to carry a big library around, i can't really do that on my phone(non expandable storage). and i don't always have reliable coverage to stream music. i can fine tune the volume too my like on my phone. it's either too loud or not loud enough, i can get it just right on my mp3 player. also it saves battery life on my phone

so im thinking of buying the cowon plenue d, this the best pmp out that aint too expensive?

I have one of these (120gb) that I lost the chord for, so I can't charge it. I don't even know if I'll be able to put music on it honestly

Rockboxed xduoo x3 battery life is so shit it makes me sad

>chord
Heh

Proprietary USB cable.. whatever you wanna call it. Fuck off

You Can Probably Buy A Replacement On Amazon.

What player is this?

fuck

off

>non expandable storage
found your problem, currently have ~200GB on my phone

Retard you spelled it chord, as in a musical chord, not a cord. Fucking dumbass

Calm down, user. It was a joke. I assumed you typed chord on purpose. Puns are great.
>chord (kôrd, kōrd)
>n. Music A combination of three or more pitches sounded simultaneously.
>n. Harmony, as of color.
>v. To be in accord; agree.

What's a decent cheap pmp that has a small profile and takes a micro sd

Buy a sony a35/45
A25 if you don't want touch.

Most phones don't let you fine tune the volume to a comfortable or enjoyable level. The music is always too quite or too loud on mine, so I just gave up using it as a portable player.

So does anyone have a Pioneer XDP-30R? If so, how is it?

shanling m2s
even if i did have expandable storage. i would still have mp3 player.

well it's half the battery life (plenue has 100 hours), but from vids the display looks way more responsive. im guessing audio quality doesnt differ much on these price ranges?

>Pioneer makes DAPs
Holy shit, any with physical controls?

found this review
head-fi.org/threads/comparison-cowon-plenue-d-vs-sony-nw-a35.832786/

>It seemed to me that depending on the music there is an artificial processing done by the player so that the sound does not get aggressive, for example when we have extreme highs that sometimes turn out to be strident, a little aggressive, the A35 seems to cut that part.
ill stick with the plenue d thank you

I have the same problem with mine

>your phone literally has all the functions of an mp3 player
The vast majority of phones cheap out on the DAC since the average consumer doesn't really give half a shit about audio quality and is only going to use cheap 5$ earbuds anyways.
Having a dedicated MP3 player is basically required if you care about audio quality. It also has the added benefit of not burning through your cellphones battery like crazy, having dedicated buttons instead of having to fumble around with a touchscreen inside your pocket or even requiring you to pull the damn thing out. Sometimes you also just don't want to carry your entire fucking cellphone in your pockets when you could just have a tiny sleek MP3 player that's a tenth of the size in there.

I have an old android phone. HTC one v ... is it possible to just turn it into a music player for mp3 and flac. like wipe the android OS and put something else?

No
Just shut off wireless/mobile and use a player app.

(you)

What is the best sansa clip? I know the clip+ is considered the best but it's not in production anymore, and i don't want to buy a second handed one..

don't bother

Go with something like a Shanling M1 instead.
The Sansa Clip+ was mostly good because of how fucking cheap it was. Now that it's out of production and the price jumped up it's really not worth it anymore.

is the m1 the best shanling player?
which one will i get the most listening time per charge out of?

You are right, thanks.

looking at getting a nice dap/pmp, was thinking about getting the refresh of the onkyo x1-a that should be coming out spring this year, does anybody know anything about that, or have any comments on the player? the only info I could find about it was in japanese/chinese press releases and I could only figure out so much from google translate

The M1 is just their cheapest and smallest players. If he was looking at the Sansa Clips I don't think he'd really be willing to throw down 300$

of course not user

Nah, it's like with cars. People just pay ten times the price to have a nice Ferrari sticker on their car instead of it saying Toyota

I saw a guy with a portable cd player not too long ago. He was in his 50s though.

Didn't know about 3.14, nice.
Still rocking hdd here, no complaints

since my sansa clip's headphone socket died after five years every similarly priced copy of it has suffered the same fate within a few months.

is there anything I can get as hardy as it?

Then you do not want a replacement, so why did you post? Silly boi. If cable is missing, get cable if want use device. If no want use device, why even mention it exists?

Buy another one from the 2nd hand market. You know you want. You know you need.

I had my iPod Classic go through a wash cycle in my pants pocket late last autumn. Of course it was dead. For a while I toyed with the idea of getting a big ass SD card for my phone and starting to use that as my main music playing device, but even finding a music player app where everything just clicks turned out all but impossible, Starting to really miss that hunk of metal and HDD, I just said fuck it and started looking for a used Classic for a decent price.
Feels good again now, man.

Buy another one from the 2nd hand market. You know you want it. You know you need it.

I had my iPod Classic go through a wash cycle in my pants pocket late last autumn. Of course it was dead. For a while I toyed with the idea of getting a big ass SD card for my phone and starting to use that as my main music playing device, but even finding a music player app where everything just clicks turned out all but impossible, Starting to really miss that hunk of metal and HDD, I just said fuck it and started looking for a used Classic for a decent price.
Feels good again now, man.

> bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1334874-REG/pioneer_xdp_30r_b_digital_audio_player_black.html
Just a volume knob.

I was trying to decide between this and a FiiO X5 gen 3.

>I had my iPod Classic go through a wash cycle in my pants pocket late last autumn. Of course it was dead.
Mine survived that lol. Later it broke anyway for another reason though.

How do you all transfer mp3s to big sd cards? I have a 256 gb card but it's cheap and slow as fuck (theoretically 10 mb/s write), and robocopy keeps crapping out at some point.

The iPod Classic really was a god amongst PMPs.

The UI was so clean and straightforward, great storage, decent enough battery. Back in the day I watched so many movies and documentaries on it whilst in class too.

I think I'll buy another one one day.

>>I had my iPod Classic go through a wash cycle in my pants pocket late last autumn. Of course it was dead.
>Mine survived that lol. Later it broke anyway for another reason though.
Lucky bastard! Right after coming out of the washer, I switched the hold on and disassembled the iPod (props to Apple for making the case a really bitch to get open!) to dry out any water inside, of which there was surprisingly little. I then let it dry out for a few weeks before trying to start it up. Battery seemed to receive power (judging by the indicator LED on the powerbank I used for charging that time), but it didn't give any other signs of life. Zero. Nada.
I suspect at least the HDD got fucked up beyond repair.

Fucking baby driver octupled the price. Has it settled back down?
nytimes.com/2017/07/07/fashion/mens-style/ipod-nostalgia-baby-driver.html

Buy broken ones and parts

Oh yeah, prices on the 2nd hand market definitely seemed to have settled down when I shopped around for mine.
While some people were expectedly asking pretty obscene sums for MIB units, the prices of used 160GB iPod Classics seemed to float between 120 and 150€ on average, with occasional fluctuations beyond either side.
I ended up getting mine on an Ebay auction and paying 100€ plus shipping, a pretty solid deal I think. A few scuffs on the outside, but the battery seems to be holding up well and the HDD is doing great, with zero reallocs or sectors pending.

Alright, the parts thing isn't a bad idea depending on what's broken. I never got to do a CF upgrade on my old one, but I did do a battery swap.

Unless you live in a fucked up city and you want to, say, jog, but don't want to get your phone stolen, but a cheap device.

>Implying 200 GB is enough
lol

My phone doesn't have physical controls

anybody comment on this?

I've had xDuoo x3 for almost 2 years now, should I upgrade?

Shanling m1

just use a phone nigga lmao

it looks like a cute player but reviews say its UI shits itself sometimes and freezes. Is this true or is this pajeet disinfo

no

which gen is that?

why not

zune hd was aesthetic as fuck

It's so good, shame it never caught on.
I wish someone would come around and let it be able to sync with something other than the zune software. I know zmtp was broken a while ago but the damn device uses some strange uuid method to organize the artists instead of the damn mp3 tag.
I would try to myself but I'm retarded when it comes to this kind of thing.
The hd radio on it is a really nice touch.

>tfw just upgraded from a chink player to a iPod classic (with iFlash Quad adapter and Rockbox)
feelsgoodman

Can I put a 256gb SD on my iPod photo? or does that one have a storage limit like the grayscale one?

If you can replace a battery you can do the cf mod

My DAP works better as a DAP than my phone does.

I just picked up a 30GB ipod video 5th gen from craigslist for $70. Thinking of doing the sd card mod and rockbox

I read that the ipod 5.5gen ssd mod draws more than the sd mod. Im thinking about buying this zif-sd board from aliexpress.
aliexpress.com/item/chink-zif-sdadapter/32269933384.html
Anyone knows if this would work? The dimensions should be correct.

My SD card died. Can I get a good sounding dap for $300 with one or more SD card slot, good DAC, moderately powerful amp?
Iems are ibasso it03, er4sr, gr07, headphones are msr7 and m50(non x)

What player is that

that's a nice cable
shanling m1

I heard iPods can be Rockbox'd. May I have some tips to get started on that? I have an old Nano 4G iirc.

My phone doesn't have a DAC

Yes it does.

I don't think you can

>My phone doesn't have "dedicated" a DAC
Fixed

>No splashy bloated android that boot in 5mn. Instant play.
>No digitally altered eq, instead you swap op amp.
>No skipping tracks in 256gb library with corporate streaming tidal/Spotify that gives you adhd. You focus on what's on now that you get off from your local storage and carefully selected because you care.
>Big clicky buttons and a volume pot you can use without ever looking at it.
Just try to use a touchscreen in your pocket.

i miss those.

>Bring out phone to change songs
>Gets stolen 10 seconds later
Mp3 players are out of their radar so it safe to bring those out in my shithole

>tfw I have my iPod Classic organized autisically to my liking

It still baffles me that smartphones actually made certain aspects of tech regress.

What is it?