/sqt/ Stupid Questions Thread

Post your simple / small / stupid questions here.

>for Linux related READ THE STICKY SEARCH BEFORE POST
ddg.gg/lite/

DO NOT BUMP YOUR QUESTION

redirect any newfriends creating their own threads with

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/HBKdhbqS
techreport.com/review/27909/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-theyre-all-dead
amazon.com/ORICO-External-Enclosure-Supported-Yellow/dp/B00FZIZXSQ/ref=sr_1_24?ie=UTF8&qid=1518372312&sr=8-24&keywords=hard drive enclosure 2.5
amazon.com/AmazonBasics-2-5-inches-SATA-Drive-Enclosure/dp/B01N5RLG2C/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Where to read jojolion now bato is dead

Do you see that 79 GB of (translation) "unwanted system files"? Are those just useless temp files? Apparently disk cleanup wont delete those, should I do it with Ccleaner? Ive heard it can delete important stuff sometimes too. What do I do?

got a gt 710 graphic card but I get no signal when I connect it to my tv with the HDMI cable, vga works fine tho, I have the latest drivers saved I am using Windows 7 64 bits, any help?

i dont speak "fagget"

Plug your HDMI to moniot and reset your PC.
after that try to power off and on your monitor if that doesnt work.
Sounds like a bad handshake

what font should i choose for my bsc thesis ?

I recently moved out of home (am 20, I know, it's kinda pathetic I lived with my parents for so long), and am new to everything.
Moved in with a long-time friend, and he's dealing with most of the utilities, but I'm expecting to pay for internet, which I'm fine with for the most part.
However, I don't know everything when it comes to this sort of thing. I'm in Australia, if it helps.
Is there anything I should mention on the phone? Anything I should ask for? Anything to ask about?
I already checked my addres with a few providers, and will call around to see what sort of plans I can get as the most, and I know NBN isn't available here yet, so don't need to worry about that.
I plan on going for a higher end plan, since he does YouTube videos as well as livestreaming, and I've recently been out of work due to a workplace injury, so I'm getting compo for a little while, and in turn have been mostly bed-ridden, watching YouTube and streaming movies online.
I've got the general idea of going for an unlimited data plan, and preferably HFC, if it's available, but for now am assuming ADSL2/2+ is the best I've got available. Is it okay for both house-members using it fairly heavily?
Sorry if this is a rambly post, took some painkillers few minutes back, and am feeling tired as such.

I have an old HP laptop (~7 years), and last night i tried turn it on and the power button switched on and slowly fade away. (PC can't even turn on)

Is it the battery (pic related) that is dead?

thanks

I got a bulky 6v(?) battery about the size of a wallet and also thick and heavy
it is black and has no markings or useful info
i wired it to a chink powerbank to use it as a lamp, the battery was depleted so I tried to charge it within the powerbank by using a 5k mah powerbank

It started charging

6 hours later I unplugged the lamp powerbank (it was still not fully charged) and turned it on the lamp seemed to be charged but somehow the battery of the 5000mah powerbank didnt decreased at all

Not even a single light I even tried to charge it but the light stopped blinking quickly I used the 5000mah powerbank to check if the voltage was actually there and it did charged my phone as it should and still have battery left

I turned on the LEDs of the bulky battery powerbank and left them on for 20 minutes the light didn't lost intensity so it did actually got charged

I tried with another powerbank of 3000mah with 3 bars of battery left and same thing happened its been over an hour and the battery is still charging the 3k powerbank is still at 3 bars

wtf happened here? how can it get charged without the host batteries losing energy? it did got charged as the battery was completely depleted before barely able to turn on the LEDs and now they are really bright

tl:dr a powerbank gets charged without expending energy of other batteries and idk what the hell is happening

>pic related the 3000mah powerbank (white) and the powerbank of unknown voltage and mah

What is the easiest way to crack a WPA password to a router? Some of the results I've found involve using a version of linux to do it, would it be able to detect and use a netgear A6200 stick to get wireless?

just go for the pin
reaver is your friend.

I'm looking to buy a HDD for a NAS, but I'm not really sure how reliable are the big ones.
Which size should I go for? Are, for example, the 4TB ones more reliable than 3TB ones?

Thanks.

I didn't realize reaver didn't require installation anymore (according to the guide i'm looking at)
Thank you

Why does the ISS have so many exposed wires and shit? Isn't that kind of risky if someone accidentally crashes into them?

What's the best video player to watch anime on?

how can i make post filtering/hiding work in catalog view?

Probably in case of emergency they can easily access it & fix I guess. I ain't a rocket scientist.

I am trying to get UART interrupts to work for my ESP8266. I am using the esp-open-sdk.
For some reason, the interrupt flag is not being cleared (I guess?) even though I am turning off the UART interrupt using UART_ClearIntrStatus() function. This makes the UART RX interrupt routine be looped until the watchdog kicks in and resets the bitch.
Here's the code pastebin.com/HBKdhbqS

I tinkered with the BIOS to try to make my cheap laptop boot from my Linux usb, I fucked up and now pressing the power button doesn't boot, it does however give electricity to the device, as I can charge my phone with it

Should I try resetting the CMOS battery?

What's currently a good tablet for watching 720p/1080p video that gets regular updates and will last me a few years?

Nvm I figured it out. the battery charges a bit then stops midway, because the battery has a bigger voltage the LEDs keep blinking as if it was charging but it doesn't actually charges, the other battery is only used to power up the blinking lights. so it can last for hours without the other battery decreasing
>disappointment.png

Get an android phone with a big screen. Tablets aren't worth it.

So I've got my OS on both my new NVMe drive as well as my 5 year old SSD since cloning it. I have the bios set to boot from the NVMe. Am I gonna see any problems from keeping that other drive connected and "apparently" inactive?

Sorry normie, you can't read subtitles on a phone screen.

Get a tv you brainlet

Where do I plug in a TV on my daily bus commute?

Any recommendations for a VESA mount, I use an 34" ultra wide.

I can read subtitles without any trouble on my 5.2' phone screen, but if you are fucking blind you can just change the size of the font, retard.

What phone is that?

Weird thing, I am on windows 10 and as I was going on about my business sound suddenly stopped working. I confirmed it's not my headphones, the program or anything else obvious so I just thought maybe a restart will fix it. Now sound seems to work again but the windows menu is completely unresponsive. Clicking on the start menu brings no reaction and I can't start windows defender either. Anyone know what might be up?

>linux?
mpv or gnome-mpv
>windos?
vlc

Seems to be alright after another restart but it gave me a warning about restarting related to Task Host Windows. Something about Plug and Play/Device Install Reboot Required.
No idea what it means, but I seem to have problems with Tast Host Window every now and again, wondering if there isn't an underlying issue here somewhere.

Oh you.

Looking for a replacement for a 6670 that performs the same or slightly better. AMD or Nvidia is fine, but I avoid Sapphire cards.

If you haven't flagged your old drive as non-bootable then there is the possibility of your BIOS accidentally choosing to boot into your old SSD. This could happen if BIOS settings are lost or drives are swapped ports on the MoBo. Other than that there isn't really an issue with both drives being bootable.

>now pressing the power button doesn't boot, it does however give electricity to the device
What do you mean by this? Pressing the power button doesn't show anything on the screen? No BIOS or POST or anything?

Alright I'll probably just take it out to make room for another storage drive I have lying around when my new fans get here.

No idea how internet packages work down under but in Canada we have to deal with really shitty internet packages. I pay $120 CAD/month for unlimited data at 30mbps speed. I stream and game fairly heavily and haven't run into many issues. Most countries offer quadruple that speed for half the price but Canada sucks for internet so that's what I deal with.

1: Would you upgrade from a Skylake i5 6600k to a Kaby Lake i7 7700k for gaymen? Seems like some games need a better cpu to me.
2: Do you think boot times would be impacted depending on the size of the SSD -- like, would a 250gb ssd boot faster than a 1tb ssd if your OS were on either?

is there a way to make vscode run linters more often while typing?
it feels sluggish compared to other editors

mpc-hc

1. Not enough to be worth it. You're picking a pretty minimal upgrade as far as games go, unless you're specifically looking into vr.
2. No. SSDs are all going to have pretty similar boot times, and boot times are the most meaningless stat anyway. You almost never do a cold boot these days.

>am 20, I know, it's kinda pathetic I lived with my parents for so long
>so long
lmao

From what I've seen from quick research (am currently unpacking while eating chinese food), a lot of the plans are 12/24Mbps, typically at around $80120 per month respectively.
Man, I don't know how long people typically live with their parents, but I got really unlucky with work for about 2 years solid from 17-19. At 17, was finishing a Cert 4 in Networking which, at the moment, hasn't gotten me anywhere, and throughout the 2 year timespan, I ended up doing small,

Cutting ties with family is just about the dumbest thing you can do idiot.
Stop falling for stupid propaganda that is if you have any brains in that head of yours.

I'm trying to export a video but with any settings I try it just comes out as blurry and looks low-res, even with H.264 1080 HD and maximum render quality checked.
Premiere Pro isnt giving me a "Match Source" choice either, so im really stuck trying to export this video.

I'm not cutting off all ties. I still see my dad a fair bit, since we work together. Also, my mum and I've been going for a half-yearly lunch to catch up, and she typically brings my younger sister (~13), since she's going to school and typically has a bit of somewhat interesting stories about her school. I'll miss talking to her when she finally goes through the angst-filled stage.
Aside from that, my older brother moved out when he was 16 (he's 25 now) to move in with his at-the-time girlfriend, and has been moving around since then presumably, living off unemployment payments, never even contacting us.

This comes up when I use Open VPN for Android to connect through Mullvad.

Phone is Huawei. Android version is 6.0.

Is there a good community or web page for learning about computer science in general?
Wanted to get into it more but it's hard to fully grasp it without reconfirming if what I've understood is correct or not.

If a game has an option for "use software buffer" that can be checked/unchecked which is generally the better setting for sound quality if I have a decent DAC? My thought is disable it so my hardware can do its work as much as possible? Or is that a bad thing and will cause crack/pops sometimes or something?

Do I need to know English to be a good programmer?

Probably better off working through recommended literature.

Could someone tell me why when I copy and paste ASCII images the formatting gets fucked up?

I have a feeling that it is related to windows.

Follow-up question regarding my idiot sister's Chromecast and network isolation;

I have created a guest network so that my wireless devices are isolated from my sister's faggot chromecast now.

Now the question is, how do I isolate my computers that are connected via Ethernet-cable? I'm on Windows 10 btw and I can't find any settings in my modern router regarding Ethernet-based guest network or VLAN for that matter either.

What do? I have firewalled VLC Media Player (3.0.0.0 release that added Chromecast feature) and disabled the Chromecast-button on Chrome via the flag/config page on my computer.

Which SSD products will turn into read-only if the cells reach the limit?

Try checking the Paste Special options.

I'm not a microarchitectureengineer by any means, but some SSD will go into read-only mode when they fail and then brick themselves once computer is shut down.

techreport.com/review/27909/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-theyre-all-dead

"Intel doesn't have confidence in the drive at that point, so the 335 Series is designed to shift into read-only mode and then to brick itself when the power is cycled. "

I'm trying to install docuwiki on raspbian. Google gives me shitty tutorial blogs that suggest it's possible. I understand it is in the official debian repos but I can't seem to find it for raspbian. Is there some easy way to resolve this or do I need to begin to learn to install it manually?

you need a monospaced font for ascii art
on windows i think you can try lucida consolas, fixedsys and incosnolata

How 2 become a 1337 H4xx0R? I can open cmd, type color a and tree, am I a let haxxor now?

Isn't it "dokuwiki" rather than "docuwiki"? Just a thought.

Oh thank you user. Google couldn't tell me shit.

No option comes up.

kys instead

Anyone know how to mount an OSX install DVD on linux?
i get this:
sudo mount -t hfsplus /dev/sr0 /media/john/OSX/
mount: /dev/sr0 is write-protected, mounting read-only
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sr0,
missing codepage or helper program, or other error

In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
dmesg | tail or so.

How can I get my best friend to forgive me after I forgot to feed his dog for him while he was on vacation and it died?

Why should he forgive you? You don't deserve IRL friends. Buy a nice Pepe plushie instead.

Install gentoo on his work computer

It's not like it was something I did intentionally. And anyway he KNOWS I tend to space stuff like this, and he didn't remind me once, he just asked me one time like a month before he left "hey, I'm going out of town for a few weeks can you feed my dog" "sure" and then never brought it up again. Is it really so odd that I'd forget? He should have at least said something right before he left or something.

Is blokada a good app? It's from fdroid, doesn't require root but uses a VPN they provided. Anyone use? Or reasons not to use?

Exactly, no BIOS or anything, however the electricity in the laptop still powers on

If chkdsk doesn't detect corruption after a dirty shutdown should I not worry about it?

Is it possible that I can get so strong that I can lift even heavy grocery bags with ease?

I have always been very self conscious that I am weak... And as a grown man even most women are stronger than me so it's embarrassing, you know? Is this a lost cause?

Check SMART.

BUMP

plug it in without battery. It's probably the mobo.

Try it without battery.
Anyway sounds like its time to buy a new one, that is a charger or motherboard problem.

tried without the battery and it's the same problem.

if a buy a new battery maybe that would solve the problem, instead of buying a new computer?

No, it wont solve it.
HP laptops are well known for dying on their own thanks to overheating.
Instead of Fixing it just buy a new computer, look for a Thinkpad for $80-200.

How versatile is FreeNAS these days? I was thinking about repurposing my old rig into a NAS/seedbox and I was wondering if I could run FreeNAS on it and have that handle the torrent client too.

Ok thanks for the advice.

Any idea how can i make a backup of the data?

i already have one, just want to check if i can access the folders and such.

I was running Linux on it by the way.

Only if i take the HDD out?

If you want to debug the motherboard, you can start by checking the 19v power rail using a multimeter. You might also want to plug it into a bench power supply to check how many amps it's drawing.

Take the HDD out, put it in a new computer.
Yes its that simple if you are using Windows 7 or Linux, for 8.1 and 10 you need to change some mount options.

Does anyone know of a good plugin for Firefox 57+ for saving all images opened in tabs?
Has to be able to skip duplicates (by filename is good enough), and ideally able to save to directories outside the downloads folder.

I always have a bunch of these lying around, for swapping hard drives and moving data. amazon.com/ORICO-External-Enclosure-Supported-Yellow/dp/B00FZIZXSQ/ref=sr_1_24?ie=UTF8&qid=1518372312&sr=8-24&keywords=hard drive enclosure 2.5

nice.

i've never did that in my life. Probably gonna pay someone to do it.

Probably need some new cables too to connect?

Is it like pic related?

how do i safely format a pendrive with ransomware on it?

If you want something utterly and irrecoverably gone, shred is a pretty good option.

shred -f -n 5 /dev/sdX

where sdx is your thumbdrive should probably do the trick - it overwrites the whole drive 5 times (change n to a suitable number) with random data.

You can find the path to the thumbdrive with fdisk -l

Its not hard, since you said your laptop is 7 years old i assume its an HP DV4-7 or G4-7 right?
At the bottom there is a cover, you just lift it and the HDD is out, based in the model you will have to remove the battery to remove the top cover first.
And if you have another computer and a extra SATA cable no, you could buy a enclosure too which is cheaper and way better idea.

Also if you need a cheap and good laptop, look for a Thinkpad T420/T430 or a X220/X230.
T400 if you want the cheapest that werks.

see the amazon link but is saying you just remove the 1 or two screws under the laptops and take out the drives, and put the old one into the new computer.

Boot into Linux, open disk utility, select format and disk option.

debian testing, plasma desktop
qbittorrent is freezing and makes the desktop act real funky, removing min,max & close buttons
how do i stop it? Is it because i've got 700 torrents?

Buy this instead:
amazon.com/AmazonBasics-2-5-inches-SATA-Drive-Enclosure/dp/B01N5RLG2C/

They are just as expensive as the adapters but better.

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX is sufficient to destroy the data. Unless the firmware of the key itself is affected, then the microwave is you're easiest option.

my old laptop is a HP g61.

since i've never did and i'm afarid of fucking something up, i'm gonna bring it to the local shop

Thanks for the advice guys.

I'll height the best options for me

user you are going to get charged $50-70 for this when you could do it yourself for $10.
Hell you could even buy a new laptop with those $50-70.

There is no science on this, you take the HDD, put it in an adapter and read from it, thats it.

Please respond Or is it really just good?

Is there a simple and practical way to protect / encrypt your browser profile (history, bookmarks, passwords) without doing a full disk encryption?