Science or Computer MA in Boston?

> getting out of the Army soon
> Using GI Bill
> Family friend invited me to study in Boston, house me, and help pay for tuition
> Gonna transfer from a polisci BA (don't get me started) and finish bachelor's
> Plan on doing a masters degree in science or computers
> almost too good to be true

What am I missing? Are certain degrees more innovative than others in science or computers? Are there any quotas and other shit I have to worry about, especially in Boston?

Thanks in advance for answering my questions.

Boston's fun brah hope you enjoy it once you're here. What university are you enrolling in? UMass? (I know they have a lot of good resources for veterans)

If you like math and philosophy, study Computer Science. If you like computers and programming study IT.

My family friends were talking up Brandeis, but I still need to look all that up. What's important is that my BA transfer program take as many credits from my polisci as possible. MIT looked dope when I went there, but idk.

I'm getting more into philosophy, but idk how good I am at math, though I did well in calculus. I am a linguistics in Arabic, so maybe that can translate into programming languages.

That being said, I'd prefer to work with natural sciences. I am interested in computational science, but idk if it's a meme degree or not.

*Linguist

>I am a linguistics in Arabic, so maybe that can translate into programming languages.
Not even remotely
>I'd prefer to work with natural sciences
Computer science isn't one of these. If you think of academic disciplines in terms of 'meme' and 'not meme' you're probably literally retarded and won't make it far in whatever field you choose to get in to. If you have genuine interest in something, and pursue it irrespective of your individual perception of its macrosocial status then good on you m8. If you need validation from a chinese cartoon website you aint gonna make it.

It's not validation, it's the degrees effectiveness in the overall system, that's what I mean by "meme". I wouldnt know about the conditions irl w
For these degrees, just the hype from the universities.

I would like to know more about computational science, though; the Turing machine fascinates me.

>the degrees effectiveness in the overall system
What did he mean by this?

What I mean is how much it applies irl.

For example, as an Arabic linguist in the Army, I quickly found out it makes no difference if you have a degree in linguistics or not, because you will spend time listening to a dialect that has little to no resemblance spoken in a horrible accent by some old hajji. I've seen linguistics majors flounder in my job, and complete noobs master it and get accolades.

That's what I mean by

Literally every academic discipline can be pursued on a theoretical or applied level. With a mechanical engineering degree you could use it 'irl' to design innovative machine parts, or you could do a doctoral thesis on theories of heat energy. With a biosci you could pursue medical research, or do population modelling for some species of frog no one gives a shit about.
Its your choice what you do in the field you choose to specialize in. Academia is mostly theoretical work. Industry is almost exclusively applied work. The same is true for comp sci

>Are certain degrees more innovative than others in science or computers?

What do you mean by innovative? CS & EE have the most potential for making things, I think. However, it really depends on what you're interested in.

CS and EE are both very wide fields. CS encompasses things like Computer Vision, Algorithmic Design, Artificial Intelligence, Cryptographic Applications, Computer Graphics, Web Development, Software Development, Cyber Security, and a bunch of other interesting subfields. EE has Analog Circuit Design, Power Transmission, RF Theory, Digital Logic Design, VLSI Design, and Power-Aware Design. You can build more physical things with EE, but you can build/write a lot more things in CS.

There's a lot to do in both fields, and it really depends on what you want to do as a job.

A word of warning though: As expected, CS and especially EE have high mathematics requirements, so you better be pretty good at Math or at least able to put in the work to pass. CS math isn't too bad usually, but some places will require more math than others. CS typically requires somewhere around Calculus 2 and some classes in Combinatorics and Graph Theory. EE and CE requires Calculus 3, Differential Equations, and a class dedicated to Fourier/Laplace/z-Transforms.

That being said, I don't really know a whole lot about the fields at the Master's level, but having a PoliSci BA going into Masters-level CS/EE is setting yourself up for failure. I would honestly consider getting a BS in those fields, getting a job, and getting them to pay for your Masters in those fields.

Thanks for that insight.

Oh no, I'm definitely getting a relevant BS before doing this, tough I'm a bit salty about it, since I could only do online classes and polisci was most relevant to my skillset, and I'm coming in older than everyone around me as a GI bill student.

I'll look more into CS, but do you know anything about photonics or optical engineering? That's what I was about to do before joining the army.

Optical computing is the intersection of CS, EE, and theoretical physics. As such it requires a very strong background in all three disciplines as well as truly exception maths skills.

>programming
>IT
ITT, retards.

Oh, I see. Is starting my BS transfer at 23 too young for starting serious work in physics-based sciences? Can I finish training before 30?

Sorry for the noob questions, I've just always been interested in classic optics. I'm basing my knowledge of these subjects off my experience with them in AP classes during high school.

Dunno where you live but in my country CS is basically a maths and philosophy degree and IT is basically a degree in OOP

It's like you don't know the first thing about COMPUTER SCIENCE

You posted this already. The answer is no. Also, your picture is absolute shit. Universities in the US are so far from Marxist that it is laughable that anyone would suggest otherwise. Please go back to Sup Forums

>If you have genuine interest in something, and pursue it irrespective of your individual perception of its macrosocial status then good on you m8. If you need validation from a chinese cartoon website you aint gonna make it.
This

If you are considering computers and want to get something that is both likely to be successful and practical, I'd say IT is the most relevant.

I always find it funny when I run into American students who say they hate their "liberal marxist" universities back home and love how "open" the universities are here. Meanwhile they pay $60,000,000 USD for a bachelor's and I literally get paid by my social democratic state to attend university.

When my book points to a transexual hooker as an example of the "sexual dimension" of border theory, I'd say it sounds awful intersectional.