/wt/ Watch Thread

This thread is about the appreciation of WHORES, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required viewing for new people:
youtu.be/aUMcx80g9bU

>Used watch guide:
pastebin.com/4cP1Tpri

>Strap guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

>Watch essentials 102:
pastebin.com/VBAu4Rwi

>Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

sweep-hand.org/the-x8-cosmotron/)
m.imgur.com/r/Watches/ZBVKW
chrono24.com/tudor/heritage-black-bay-36mm--id5864007.htm
alibaba.com/product-detail/Wholesale-nato-strap-watch-18mm-20mm_60003557695.html
forums.watchuseek.com/f67/seiko-alpinist-sbcj031-hands-review-3202282.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Cool vintage watches for under $300?

Quartz or Auto fine.

Bulova 214/218/230 tuning fork watches
Seiko 5740c - 10Hz watch
Citizen cosmotron 7803a - high-grade electric watch (sweep-hand.org/the-x8-cosmotron/)
Borel cocktail or other mystery dials

Vintage slavshit dress watch.

>seiko DOLCE
please tell me this has nothing to do with modern shitty clothing manufacturer

>regularly service and restore wristwatches
>still buy a Lego out of impulse

rude

Oh no you see, he's one of those instagram celebs that just go to the gym to sling their protein powders that make you go bald. So fashion is everything to him.

Y-you do insure your watches, right user..?

You mean 5Hz. 1Hz = 2 beats.

What?

It is entirely unrelated

dang you're right. Donno what I was thinking.

>youtube.com/watch?v=P5jRLH0L5S8
HAHAHAHAHAHA
>Don't mod your watches
>Don't buy from greymarket
>Don't buy in-house
>Don't buy vintage
>Don't buy pocket watch conversions
Lad's been drinking too much tea lately

>>Don't buy in-house
>>Don't buy vintage
u foken wot m8?

>Yeah. I ordered it.
What did you get? Not an owl penis, right?

Watches from the Fantastic Mr. Fox

m.imgur.com/r/Watches/ZBVKW

I'm not watching that.

What's his argument against in house and vintage?

>>Don't buy in-house
>>Don't buy vintage
What.

>Don't mod your watches
Unless you know what you are doing. Or have practiced enough on parts you don't care about ruining before moving on. Makes sense right?
>Don't buy from greymarket
And always expect easy returns and warranties. Varies seller to seller.
>Don't buy in-house
Because understand that not all indie watch repairers will be able to service it and you might need to send it off to the company itself. If you are fine with that it is a-ok obviously. Everyone here shits on ETA's but something great about them is that they are easy to get serviced and don't cost much to service.
>Don't buy vintage
Before understanding that there might be expensive service costs and if something goes wrong depending on the watch is can be hard to source parts. If you are fine with that then a-ok
>Don't buy pocket watch conversions
Converted pocket watches are retarded anyway so I don't give a shit.

I want to start a modern and cutting edge NATO strap business that cuts out the middle man and allows the customer to purchase luxury NATO straps at a fraction of the price

Just to clear this up i was saying a casio f91 would not be a good choice for teh person asking the question.
"Sup Forums's opinion on tissot powermatic?
I need a watch I can wear at work with business casual and that doesn't look out of place when I wear it to the gym."
but you can continue to be a faggot if you wish.

Do you wear the same clothing at work and at the gym?

I DID NOT ASK THE QUESTION
I wear fucking sweatpants or shorts and a tshirt to the gym and own only mechanical watches so i leave that shit in the car. The fucking guy specifically asked a question about something HE wanted to do. I don't fucking care why he wants to wear the same watch to both places it is none of my fucking concern.

Is this a good price for this watch?

chrono24.com/tudor/heritage-black-bay-36mm--id5864007.htm

Assuming it's legit, that's a decent price.

Anything like the Flyboy with non shit movement?

Make sure you buy it on the bracelet.

Look at Sinn or Damasko

Better version

Tudor is the only watch maker that I would have no reservation if they use ETA.

Looks like a good price. Truly a poor man's Explorer.

For some reason Explorer I prices have being really high, even for 15+ year old pieces.

If I didn't already have an Explorer I would consider the BB36mm

i can't stop buying straps

the new one is just too big.

I'll do the logo for you

r8 oc

still loving pic related

>what is lanczos
>what is resolution
4/99

what model is that again?

SARX047

nvm i found it and its 40mm

>6R

I'm a supreme wristlet and it's fine

I'd buy from you if you do perlon strap instead.

Show wrist pics

Can't seem to find one that looks similar, I like the bold/kind of militaristic design with the red plan-ish second hand. For $150 maybe I'll just deal with the stutter..

I'm drunk and the pictures are quite unflattering but I can assure you it looks fine IRL

I think I might need to eat about 3 big macs a day though

cheapestnatostrap.com

What would you guys spend $2000 on? I like the look of the Rolex “Batman”, could never justify spending that much on a watch without adding another zero to my net worth.

>Omegas 1861/1863 movement is overrated

sHOW ME

Tudor
Grand Seiko Quartz
Vintage Rolex datejust

that dial is beautiful. if this watch was slimmer 36mm did not have the black bit or an s on the crown and was maybe 400-600 dollars or 1000 dollars with the 8l it would probably be the best new buy at any price under 2k.

just buy some crates of that shit on alibaba
alibaba.com/product-detail/Wholesale-nato-strap-watch-18mm-20mm_60003557695.html

you sound like that delusional guy from long islands watches. I personally can't wear 40mm dress watches but my wrists are only 7 inches so congratulations.

>8l
>$1000

wew

I might be a bit of a narcissist but I'd go Rolex just simply due to the prestige. As nice as Tudor and a Grand Seiko might be it doesn't make the same statement to non watch people.

Need help identifying

>unadjusted
>machine made
>undecorated

more than 1000 dollars? The fuck you think they make it out of gold?

For $2000 you can only really get crusty beat up last of the litter Air Kings. Also
>caring about making a statement to normies
pffffft

>8L
>machine made
No, the 8L is not machine made. It is a less decorated, less adjusted version of the 9Sxx Grand Seiko movement including the proprietary Seiko inner terminal curve on the harispring and the MEMS escapement.

>unadjusted
Not really, more like less adjusted than the Grand Seiko movement its based on

>undecorated
Not true anymore either. They decorate the 8L now, though not as much as the Grand Seiko version obviously.

There is not the slightest chance that Seiko would sell new watches with the 8L for less than $2,000 in today's watch market.

>machine made

So is most of a Rolex movement, you fucking brainlet.

The modern 8L is basically the equivalent of an 2892-a2 elabore.

If the machining is advanced enough it can produce top tier movements.

Find me a brand new watch from a reputable company that offers a 2892-a2 for $1000.

Is this how retarded /wt/ has become?

>undecorated

The 8L35b is more decorated than a Rolex movement.

>Unadjusted

Seiko machines these movement so they come out of the production line with inherent top tier accuracy. And they adjust it for certain models for even greater precision.

some 8ls are decorated some are not
it is machine made and can be machine assembled (and would be in such a watch) just because they "hand assemble" the mm doesn't mean they will do the same in some theoretical watch.
and it is NOT ADJUSTED AT ALL
you can't just say shit that is not true my man.

>2892-a2 elabore.
which sells in brand new 500 dollar watches
Rolex does decorate their movements even though they dont display them.
IT IS FUCKING UNADJASTED WHY IS THAT POINT EVEN BEING FUCKIGN ARGUED? IF SEIKO ADJUSTED THE MOVEMENT THEY PRINT HOW ON THE FUCKING MOVEMENT. I OUTLINED THE BLUEPRINT OF A THEORETICAL WATCH AND NOW YOU ARE QUESTIONING HOW THE MOVEMENT I FUCKINg SELECTED WOULD BE ADJUSTED? ARE YOU FUCKING CRAZY?

wt is dead good bye

Oh look, it's the vostok/co-axial omega worshiping shitposting troll who never posts his own watches despite shitting up /wt/ for a year with shameless lies and 50+ post samefagging meltdowns whenever someone criticizes a brand he likes or says anything positive about Seiko whatsoever.

Gas yourself you useless shitposting troll.

Don't you, , fucking dare insult Seiko again.

It won't go well for you.

>tfw there is a perfect alpenis and it never comes up for sale
forums.watchuseek.com/f67/seiko-alpinist-sbcj031-hands-review-3202282.html
black dial sbcj019 obviously

at the rate SD landmasters are dropping to I might just get one, though I doubt I'd be able to pull off 46mm by 14mm with a huge dial. I've tried on a tuna 7C and I could just barely excuse it's height. I'm a wristlet since I dumped my beer weight.

By the way vostok are cheap Seiko 5 tier shitters inferior to the SKX as a true dive watch, Omega's implementation of the co-axial escapement is a joke, and there were damn good reasons Patek Philippe and Rolex rejected Roger Smith's attempt to shop the co-axial escapement for use in production watches.

watch switches arms

Imagine liking vostokshit while unironically whining about Seiko
ewww

>the SKX as a true dive watch

>at the rate SD landmasters are dropping

>$2,700

Holy shit. When did this happen?

I didn't notice

>Find me a brand new watch from a reputable company that offers a 2892-a2 for $1000.
Hamilton intra-matic, $500

>The modern 8L is basically the equivalent of an 2892-a2 elabore.
Realistically, the 8L has some non trivial technical advantages over the 2892-A2 elabore. Seiko's proprietary inner terminal curve on their hairsprings and MEMS escapements should both aide positional and thermic variance compared to the escapement on the ETA.

It also benefits from assembly by GS with their focus on QC.

Swatch only allows that model to have that movement because it doesn't have a second hand. Swatch doesn't allow the 2892-A2 to be used at a sub $1,000 pricepoint on any model with a second hand in order to preserve the artificial market segmentation between the 2824-2 and the 2892-A2.

>inb4 he spergs out about the lack of seconds hand
whoops too late

I've seen as low as 2450 on one of the JP AD exporter sites, A-grade used on Ebay for ~2100.

If only the case was cushioned so it doesn't look so damn tall, I get the 'mountain waiting to be scaled' vibe looking at the side profile.

I regret sticking with my SKA monster while SBCM023s were selling for 250, too, but that's only a perpetual calendar, not GMT.

I'm not complaining about the Intra-Matic model not having a second hand, per se, as it is a dress watch and the original didn't either. I'm complaining about Swatch not allowing that movement to be used in models WITH a second hand at a similar price point.

It's an F.Shitter

So now not having a second hand is a sign of cheaping out? Please elaborate?

Can someone explain why the GS line has quartz

I wasn't suggesting that was the case generally for all companies and movements, only that Swatch does not allows the 2892-A2 to be used in models with a second hand at sub-$1,000 pricepoint because it undermines their artificial market segmentation. The segmentation is artificial because a 2824-2 Elabore is not significantly cheaper to manufacture than a 2892-A2 Elabore, yet the 2824-2 is commonly found in sub $500 watches while the 2892-A2 is normally limited to Swatch group models at $2,000+

No, Swatch stays true to the original design. You are so desperate for a point.

Why would it not?

Please see and I'm not complaining about the Intra-Matic, I'm complaining that it's the only Swatch Group model below $1,000 with that movement.

Seiko has been making high-end quartz models since they were the first to get to market with quartz wrist watches, so it shouldn't surprise anyone that they would make quartz GS models.

Royal Oak Offshore Diver or GTFO

muh dress watch has to be thin. And I'm not sure if they ever will run out of pride of developing a near perfect movement in the 9F. Pleb convenience features like perpetual calendar or quickset hour don't hold a candle to rumored 50 year service interval and top quartz accuracy. Imagine, the first ones sold in '93 are allegedly only halfway to their service date.

Plus, I think they are now extra wary of quartz watches with crazy "features" after the failure that the new Astron was. It seemed like they made it trying to compete with Breitling or the Speedmaster, and the 8X Asstrons are shitters in comparison. So expect more dressy doubling down.

>So expect more dressy doubling down.
Good. Dressy watches are where it's at.

Not just that, I actually think that the SBGV007/009 might be the best expression of the 'grammar of design' aesthetic in the current range.

There are people (non-horology masterminds) who like quartz better than mechanical watches. And some of those guys have GS money too. Watch brands like to fill this segment because it's easy profit since quartz is, as you sure know by now, a lot cheaper for them all together.

There are times when they over do the watch and it looks better than their other mechanical ones in for the same price. [spoiler]oysterquartz[/spoiler]

Where can the SBGV007 be purchased?

The current version which has the GS branding only is the SBGV207 and is available from most GS dealers I'd assume. 10 seconds in Google found a few of them.

Has canada user sold any of his collection yet?

Meh, I expect to get shit on for this but I like quartz and mechanical. I grabbed a mint 1970s Seiko quartz at a thrift shop recently for $7, threw in a new battery and gave it a good cleaning/polished the acrylic crystal and it looks amazing.

It is somewhat ugly but I still kinda want it for some reason

reminds me of a franck muller

>It is somewhat ugly but I still kinda want it for some reason
i understand, i feel this way about 14 year old boys

actually, i found out why, its an homage to franck mullers long island. good to know.

Looking at Seiko divers for my first mechanical. Are SKX's the way to go, and what price should I be looking for. Most I've found so far have been $210 and up