How long until interstellar travel is possible Sup Forums?

How long until interstellar travel is possible Sup Forums?

I give it 100-200 years

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=lD08CuUi_Ek
space.com/32546-interstellar-spaceflight-stephen-hawking-project-starshot.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

we are never getting off this planet, kek

>interstellar
like the vaginal gap of ur mom lol

500 years later we banished undesirables into another galaxy
They get caught in a 1v1v1 free for all against 2 other races.

Whites and East Asian populations are dwindling while dumb niggers are breeding like rats thanks to western aid.
Humanity will die in its cradle.

Bulgothefuckaway

Imagine how fast we'll go once we pull the pin out between the train carriage and leave the plebs and religious fags behind though

People traveling to other solar systems? Never, unless something changes very drastically.

it is possible already
its just takes a pretty long time

We can already send a probe to alpha centauri that will reach it in 40 years
With laser tech we might be able to get one there in 20 years, but that's not fully developed yet

the closes star is 4 lightyears away, with current techonoly it would take about 100.000 years to travel there.
And there probably isn't anything for there that make it worth sending humans.
So i'm gonna say atleast a couple thousands years before we go anywhere outside our solarsystem.

This.

youtube.com/watch?v=lD08CuUi_Ek

Watch it, it's worth watching until the end.

But just in case, tl;dw - probably never.

>humanity
>still existing 100 years from now
kek and lel

i wonder if it wouldn't be easier to send our avatars there instead of physically going. but even information can only travel so fast

It is very close. I think we are very close. Maybe 40 years. So close I can taste.

>mum fiction memes

Literally physically impossible.

It will be faster if you sharters start spending more on NASA

Go use wikipedia or something before you embarrass yourself further

Enlighten me.

technically speaking it may never be possible

see

Why would you give up this glorious planet of ours when you could trick the plebs into thinking they're traveling to a new planet and instead just shoot them into the sun?

>We can already send a probe to alpha centauri that will reach it in 40 years
proofs

That technology doesn't exist yet. And I was talking about manned space craft.

I heard that plan got foiled by microasteroids busting the vehicle like a pistols bullet.

The only likely scenario is singularity, upon which our new robutt overlords will graciously turn humans into the puffs of quantum smoke that can randomly teleport to any point in the Universe.

If you give up so easily no wonder your countries sucks on the scientific stage.

I sort of wish NASA could become a western hemisphere shared organization.
Each governmental body provides a certain percentage of it's spending to fund NASA, and anybody can gain employment with them, and benefit from the findings.
It would actually get it better funded, and open the door for more cooperation. While at the same time hopefully distancing NASA from the god awful politics of the US, and onto a more international stage.

Yeah. It was a really dumb idea. Collision at that speed would destroy any probe. Why not just send another Voyager and be patient?

This whole thing is really dumb. We are moving towards digital immortality and people are still hooked on the dumb Le Spaiiss meme, because that's what the moving jew showed them, cool nigger space commander kicking the ass of evil spoonhead space nazis.

Simply ebin. We can't even utilize the fucking Sahara and the Antarctica, fucking California is suffering from drought in the most advanced nation on Earth and people are memeing about Le Hyperspace travel.

Delusional plebs.

space.com/32546-interstellar-spaceflight-stephen-hawking-project-starshot.html
about the 20 year one
Sure mr. 100,000 years, the tech is there, at least speed wise and distance wise, logistics need to be considered still and whether it is worth it, but there are enough that are excited to do it, sadly not enough to fund it
Yes it is something to be taken into account

Bitch please, our jews gave you the computer and the A and H bombs. Your country is only scientifically relevant, because your masters keep importing scientists. The average Americans are just exploited trash.

you've got a point my pessimistic friend

>Most Hungarian scientists have German names
You're a funny country

Yeah, yeah. We were civilized by the Germans, and our academia was mostly Jewish, hahaha.

The point still stands. Why do people keep memeing about space travel like it'd be the most relevant scientific breakthrough coming.

We're starting to get amazing results in understanding our brains and building better and faster computers. Nanocompution would break through a looming barrier and take us to an even wilder track than the Moore-law people thought was dead because of the physical limitations of semi-conductors.

In a century or two, humans can become immortal, not just from a programmed biological death, but from a lots of dangers, we could make safe saves of our consciousness, live parallel lives in simulations, quickly learn vast amounts of knowledge by just simply importing "libraries" into our memory, possibilities of development we can't even comprehend at this point.

And yet, people are discussing how could we pack a bunch of biological bodies and launch it into space to "colonize" it.

Why? That's not the next step, that's not even necessary. We have bunch of rocks very close to us we're not even using.

These people would pack themselves on arks in the name of Science and Progress and launch themselves into space for thousands of years.

When we don't have ANYTHING in our civilization, any machine, anything that we design with such a lifetime, because our life will change radically within decades and we can become something completely different within centuries.

This whole thing is just an internet meme, nothing more. Coffee talk.

It's highly unlikely we will get off this rock unless we invent an infinite power source which is also imposible

except it's not a manned spacecraft you idiot, not to mention it hasn't actually been done yet

I bet you're the kind of gullible idiot who actually fell for the Mars One meme

I specifically said 'probe' you fucking idiot, you even quoted it

And the faroese was specifically talking about manned flight, you fucking idiot

He said it would take 100,000 years to travel there, so I 'enlightened' him about the travel time, you drooling imbecile

Read the fucking OP, you can clearly tell by context that it was referring to travel time FOR MANNED SPACECRAFT, you fucking idiot.

You are retarded and clutching on straws here, the OP just talked about interstellar travel, no matter how you interpret it there is nothing wrong with sharing a bit about how fast we can be with probes now
Holy fucking shit you are beyond stupid and autistic, talk about damage control

Interstellar travel is heavily implied to not take long at all, we can send a probe that can travel to another galaxy now but everything will be long dead before it gets out of the local group

>completely unable to understand the context and understand that it was talking about manned spaceflight
>"damage control! damage control!"

At least my flag isn't a child's toothpaste

You are just a troll or retarded, pick what you prefer, I already explained to you why there is nothing wrong with sharing something about probes
I'm having a fight with a leaf here but sure, we could send a probe anywhere in the local group the question is simply whether or not it would still be operational(we'd like to get signals after all) when it got there and whether it would be there in a reasonable time frame, interstellar manned travel is pointless at the moment.

Also actually not really, we could send it anywhere but it would probably not reach it if it stops being operational on the way there or doesn't have enough thrust

Solar sails when?

Not so fast :^)

This isn't Star Wars

It's hard as fuck to find terraist pics tbqh

If we have another big war we'll get leaps ahead

>why do people keep memeing about space travel
B-but user, isn't space travel the romance of every boy?

Anyone who doesn't think space is cool is probably gay

space travel is a "because i can". it has no economical value, on the contrary, the dangers and expenses are bigger than building a city under the sea. it's not practical but mankind never let herself be deterred by "practical", only by procrastination

Colonizing other planets may be necessary in the future due to overpopulation

>tfw born just too early to travel the stars

it will literally solve every single major problem we have on earth and it will significantly reduce the odds of our extinction because our survival wouldn't be bound to the fate of this planet

edgy
honestly though you are delusional as fuck, kys.

>it has no economical value
Are you joking? Even just the existence of space agencies inspires people to become scientists.

>How long until interstellar travel is possible Sup Forums?

Interstellar travel is already possible. Even with current level of technology the humanity is theoretically capable to build an interstellar spacecraft which could achieve the speed of 0.1c.

>I sort of wish NASA could become a western hemisphere shared organization.

You could just cut your military spendings by 20%, increasing your NASA budget by 10 times with these money.

We'll probably explore most of the solar system at some point, but interstellar travel is very unlikely.

you're talking about the spacecraft that tosses arab suicide bombers behind it for propulsion?

We'll destroy ourselves before it happens.

If I was an American candidate for 2016 presidency my slogo would be "SPACE MAN".

I'd be basically the conservative family values president but my main proposal would be to space travel. Give a lot of funding to NASA and other space related sponsoring so the united states can send the man to the moon again, send colonizing missions to mars, to outer space and so on. basically a big big investment in space travel that would kick off as soon as i would become president.

bit cringy

Probably 1,000 years at least.

It is already possible. It just takes impractically long time and risks are great.

Newt Ginngrich did that and he was laughed at

We're testing out the EM drive at the moment, if it actually works in space we'll be able to get to Alpha Centaur in 10~ years.

The thing that's holding us back in the space department right now is funding though, if we had enough money we could be half way to building a Dyson Swarm.

Yes, exactly. We had a couple of projects of nuclear-pulse propelled spaceships, in the 1970s-80s, but the all were cancelled.