/sqt/ Stupid Questions Thread

Post your simple / small / stupid questions here.

>for Linux related READ THE STICKY SEARCH BEFORE POSTING ddg.gg/lite/

DO NOT BUMP YOUR QUESTION

redirect any newfriends creating their own threads with

Other urls found in this thread:

addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/betterprivacy/
logicalincrements.com/firefox/
microsoft.com/en-us/store/d/dell-xps-15-9560-laptop/91076tjj2wfb/3XSS?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Laptop_Buying_Guide
amazon.com/gp/product/B003Y24DEU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)
nirsoft.net/utils/bulk_file_changer.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

load your hard drive's driver into windows. did your harddrive come with a cd? click the load driver button

check the port/controller the disk is connected to isn't disabled in the bios
what kind of disk is it? (sata/nvme/etc)

pls respond

it came with the pc I bought, I don't have a cd for it
it's a sata

What is the name of the browser addon that deletes a certain type of cookie when you close the browser? The icon looks like a slice of pie.

Have a meme in return.

addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/betterprivacy/
?

if not maybe its here
logicalincrements.com/firefox/

Yup. That was the one. Thanks.

Assuming I'm legally consuming media responsibly behind a vpn... is kodi still the easiest and most casual way to download movies/tv/music or is there something new?

>I don't have a cd for it
open up your PC and look at the model name/number physically printed on the drive
then download the appropriate driver from the manufacturer's website

BTW you don't need that on quantum

I want to start casually get into video editing. Do you guys think adobe premiere is good? Is there any universally agreed version to use (like 2015/16/18 etc)? I know the latest version of software isn't always the best.

oh really? Is there a setting I need to turn on or is it automatic?

It's just inherent changes to the browser. Flash cookies are now handled alongside regular ones. Also flash itself is being fazed out.

Ordered a new battery for my thinkpad and also one of those superdrive batteries. Is there any way to check my current hardware with some terminal command? My current battery is pretty fucked and i'd like to see how long it's life was. posting from T430s

Can I replace my CPU with another of the same socket without having to fuck around with reinstalling windows etc?

What is the best all around 15-inch laptop for 850 - 1000 dollars, with an emphasis on the screen? I bought an Asus Vivobook Pro but the screen was the worst thing I've ever seen.

It seems like the XPS 15 is on sale right now for 1500 dollars. I really want this but I think it's too much money. microsoft.com/en-us/store/d/dell-xps-15-9560-laptop/91076tjj2wfb/3XSS?

nah torrent sony vegas on the pirate bay. TONS of resources on youtube, google you name it.

most likely

Is it possible to make android app without proper IDE (Android Studio/Eclipse) and only using text editor like vscode/vim/emacs?

try upower or look under /sys/class/power_supply/BAT#

My vidya build was going fine for months. Then one day I got massive fps drop in low intensive games lik csgo. Now I get low fps in all my games whether it's high or low intensive. I don't understand what's going on.

is there anyway i can make the buttons bigger?

So I gotta make a multi-threaded banking simulator for class. Each account can be withdrawn from and deposited into, and unrelated accounts should be able to do operations at the same time.
Easy enough.

But accounts that are overdrawn need to be able to wait until they have enough of a balance to withdraw.
I can't for the life of me get this to work. Spent 8 hours doing anything I could to get it working, but no matter what I do I get deadlocks somewhere.

Any advice without me just posting the whole project?
I'm using ordered reentrancelocks to encapsule the withdrawing/depositing in each thread.

Check to make sure you don't have some ridiculous AA setting forced in your drivers.
Run Furmark while looking at the GPU-Z sensors tab and see if anything looks fishy. (clocks not increasing from idle, overheating)

you might have to re-activate but other than that it should be fine

Will do, I'll report back once I do this.

How reliable are 2TB WD Greens as external backup drives ie. seldomly used drives? The intellipark shit shouldn't be a problem.

might have to reinstall a new driver but not windows

depends on what you need it for. 850 to 1000 dollars seems like a bit much unless you want a gaymen machine or need to do video / picture editing. maybe the wiki can give some help?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Laptop_Buying_Guide

of course its possible if you dont need the features provided by an ide

are you running the setup from windows or from a bootable flash drive?

Don't you need to link the manifest and others to make it work as an app?

Sometimes explorer.exe will take up around 100% cpu for a few seconds, my computer freezes for the same time, a single dllhost from the system32 directory comes up, and I'll be disconnected from wifi and the wifi connection won't show up for a minute or two. This has been happening for about a month, once or twice a day. I've run a scan with mbam (nothing came up), run chkdisk (nothing came up), and an sfc scan (it said there were some issues that it could not repair). I've turned off icon thumbnails since apparently corrupted thumbnails can trigger something like this and it didn't help. I've monitored it when it happens with process explorer and during the issue SysMain sechost.dll!SubscribeServiceChangeNotifications+0x290 takes most of the CPU cycles.

I'm somewhat lost as to what it could be. It happens so rarely and to my experience can't be triggered by something I'm doing, so what can I do to try to contain it?

bootable usb
the usb works, I tested it in another computer and it was fine

superfetch

The intellipark shit is endemic, it'll always be a problem.

>I want to start casually get into video editing.

It's best to start with iMovie, which is also free.

When's the last time mbam picked something up and the last time you did a fresh install? Might as well use this as an excuse to start clean again.

Mbam has never picked up something and the last fresh install was about 2 months ago.

i recently started making a website to fuck around with an learn basic web dev, i was wondering how i could achieve something where it looks like text is being typed as it displays, like instead of the line of text displaying right away, id rather it be as if someone was typing it. would javascript be used for this?

try running the setup from windows if you can, otherwise try disabling usb 3 in the bios settings or plugging the flash drive into a usb 2 port.

Oh, also check CPU temps under load. I didn't see the first "under low intensive games." Low intensive games are usually CPU capped, so if your CPU is thermally throttling that will kill your frames.
The CPU-Z stress test should tell you what you need to know there. (It's not as intensive as Prime95 but more in line with what a game will pull. Prime95 uses AVX which can increase temps by a good margin)

Hi Sup Forums, just wondering if there's any comp ability issues with simply throwing over hard drives from old to new laptops. Just threw over a win7 install from my older laptop to my thinkpad. Programs and files are untouched, but I'm just worried there's like old drivers hidden somewhere that's gonna be bloat.

Here are the setting of anti aliasing in nvidia control panel. It looks like nothing on that is enabled so it can't be that

Here is the GPU Z tab. At the top you can see the gpu is going full power and back down to idle but I think that's because I keep alt tabbing out of the game to check it. I circled that tab because it always says IDLE no matter if I play the game or not. For information, I'm using Total war warhammer 2 as a test.

is USB storage ok for archiving? just 50gb of quake demos and files

After a long break - I'm going to start developing hacks for video games again, mainly league of legends.

I have access to unlimited ip's but not hardware - so my plan was to virtualize and pass-trough the GPU for testing, reverse engineering and other shit.

What are the downsides of this? Will I have input lag or that's negligible?

I know for sure if I do this on Linux I can be 10 times more lazy as I have access to huge pool of tools to automate 80% of what I will do.

Is there a variant of simultaneous multithreading that more than just doubles physical core count?
For example, a CPU has 8 cores, but 32 threads?

So I did the cpu test and nothing strange is happening but I noticed something in GPUZ. That green bar at the bottom shows up while I was stress testing and apparently it says I'm limited by both
>pwr
>Vrel
You can read the description that the program gave me in the image I'm posting. If it helps I got this surge protector (amazon.com/gp/product/B003Y24DEU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and I think that's what's limiting the power that reaches my gpu for some reason. No idea why since it was just fine for months.

Best phone to use sailfish os? I'm so done with laggy proprietary software. Want something snappy with a web browser, can make calls and text.

No, impossible. It will always be twice the amount for quite some time.

I don't necessarily mean when will desktop components get over 2 threads per core, just curious about the possibility of running more than that on a processor in general.
At first, I couldn't think of what to type on Google, but after a fair bit of searching, I found out that IBM has a 4-way SMT capable chip, as well as Intel Xeon Phi, and probably more that I can seem to find.

Turn up DPI scaling on your Windows.

This comes up when I use Open VPN for Android to connect through Mullvad.

Phone is Huawei. Android version is 6.0.

bool withdraw(double amt) {
if(funds > 0) {
//perform actual withdrawal
//...
} else {
//return false which should tell other code the withdrawal has failed and the user should be told to find some more money
}
}

These lines showed up on my monitor this morning. Defect? or something else? they appear on everything.

Yeah, you'd have a Javascript timer that runs a function to display the next letter when it fires. Then you can have it on a fixed interval, or re-set the timer for a new slightly different random interval for a more authentic effect.

Yeah that's a defect. If it's in warranty, see about RMAing it. Otherwise try a light whack on the side, that sometimes fixes things like this.

Also what is with the colored ring in the middle of the picture? Is this a camera artifact? If it's on the monitor itself, I'd say it looks like something pressed on it there.

Just my phone I think. I was thinking the same thing after taking the picture. I cant see it on the screen itself. Yet every picture Iv taken I can still see it. The monitors less then 2 months old so I'll just get a replacement.

Sun Niagara runs 8 threads per core. Probably the most extreme example you'll find in general purpose CPUs.

Your clocks are going up to non-idle speeds but your GPU load is practically 0 throughout. Your temps don't budge

vRel might have something to do with it detecting Furmark. Both AMD and Nvidia treat Furmark special since it otherwise runs GPUs to ridiculous levels. It's a "benchmark" that reviewers use that only benchmarks Furmark.
That managed to peg your util. What frame rate were you getting?

Watch it on the phone screen as you move the phone (or take sequential pictures). If the artifact moves with the phone, it's a defect on the camera. If it stays put on the screen, it's a screen defect that is only visible through the camera for whatever polarization or wavelength related reason.

Is there any way to combat ad insertion in streams? Blocking the domain serving the ads kills the whole stream, which I guess is by design.

Close your eyes whenever ads come up.

Looks like it can be reproduced anywhere I point it at the screen. So its likely just my phone. Thank you for that little extra help.

Check cables.
Plug it into another source to make sure it's not your GPU (or plug that into another monitor)

How to solve alsa playback underruns? i have a qemu win 10 client connectet to pulse audio. If I run pulse audio debug it shows me alsa detecting playback buffer underruns.

I have an outdated Linux live cd which I use from time to time to troubleshoot if windows has issues, but it doesn't play audio or video files. I'm gonna update it and make a live USB With the latest version. Does it come with the codecs now or do I need to add them during the install?

In calcurse how can I repeat an event on several days of the week? For example I have a class on Monday and Wednesday. I created an event on Monday and want it to repeat every Monday and Wednesday afterwards until a certain date.
I know I could create two events and repeat each one but I thought using terminal applications was about efficiency?

- ensure pulse is running with high priority (low nice)
- consider increasing your buffer size

Why not just download the latest iso?

High priority is set.
How can I increase the buffer in pulse audio?

I switched to an old cheaper monitor and there were no lines. Used the hdmi cable I used for the older monitor on this one and lines were back, So it cant be the cable or gpu. And no lines using another monitor would also mean its just this screen. It also looks like they appear on the menu display too. I'll just organize to get a replacement under warranty.

That's what I did, does it come with all the codecs? From what I remember older versions required an extra step. Also is Rufus the best to create the usb?

how do i get rid of this black background on "faded" stuff that htop suddenly started doing
left is now right is before

why do people buy servers and fill it with like 12 "vms"?
Why not just have one linux distro on it and settle with that? Why deal with the slow overhead of having a bunch of concurrent linux vms on a server?

Is your VM itself on high priority?

Set the "black" color for your terminal colorset to the same shade of gray you have as the background.

that's not fixing it
Right is the left computer but sshed into another computer where htop shows fine so the terminal is handling it fine but that specific computer seems to do it this certain way.

I honestly don't know. But I don't remember needing to update anything to play video when I installed my current distro, so there's a pretty good chance it does have them.
Yeah, rufus/unetbootin/universal usb installer are fine.

Yup, it's the monitor.

I have static threads bound to CPU cores but don't have high priority, to I set it with virsh edit?

I keep getting shocked. This is independent of my computer I think as it'll happen getting out of the car even after driving 8+hours a heavy bit of static to my metal keyboard body once knocked the power off for the whole PC. I'm being careful but can't predict when I'm "charged". Any way I can circumvent the risk of my system restarting without spending money?

One reason is likely security. Virtualization means the good shit doesn't have to sit in that system. In the event one VM is compromised you still can turn it off.

to my knowledge it is still possible for a server computer to be hacked from within one its VMs though

if my linux machine has two gigabit ethernets is it possible to use them both somehow

You can have 2 connections doing different things, or you can look into teaming.

you receive two ip addresses from your dhcp server and then pick a gateway. you can have per interface settings for servers but I don't think you can have two default gateways

Touch the computer case first.

How far back does browser history go? Does it auto delete after a certain point? If so how can I keep them?

lscpu

Architecture: x86_64
CPU op-mode(s): 32-bit, 64-bit Byte Order: Little Endian CPU(s): 4 On-line CPU(s) list: 0-3 Thread(s) per core: 1 Core(s) per socket: 4 Socket(s): 1 NUMA node(s): 1 Vendor ID: GenuineIntel CPU family: 6 Model: 23 Stepping: 10 CPU MHz: 1998.000 BogoMIPS: 5302.48 Virtualization: VT-x L1d cache: 32K L1i cache: 32K L2 cache: 2048K NUMA node0 CPU(s): 0-3

What's the least botnet chromecast/firestick type device? My Panasonic is "smart" it can stream media over DLNA, but it chokes donkey dick on 1080p movies, while AppleTV can play 1080p fine, even when the DLNA media is local and the Apple is streaming from the internet.

I'd like something that can browse SMB shares or cast easily from VLC/Windows/Linux

rpi or similar with openelec

This shitty retard program:
nirsoft.net/utils/bulk_file_changer.html

"BulkFileChanger". It's terrible. By default it NEVER respects the order you fed it files, and will instead sort images in a retard computer-logic order such as 1,11,21 or something. The way to evade this failure is to add one second to every date you change. So if you wish to inject 100 images in between two images, you best hope the latter image was saved 100 seconds after the former, else this program will fail you.

Will someone please recommend to me a date changing program for Windows 7 that isn't complete dogshit? I only wish to batch change file dates, and fill the dates from an arbitrary file. Is that so much to ask? This program can do it but only if I rename everything to conform to its computer logic order, since otherwise it will completely ignore the order I put the files in unless I add a second difference between each file. What the fuck, honestly. I left the dev explicit feedback on this failure half a year ago yet the shit still hasn't updated.

Well I was about to say "never mind I figured it out" but that's not true. I googled "change file date command" and the first link was a superuser thread, where a comment stated there's another nirsoft program called nircmd that does it straight from the command line. So I just took a command I thought would work and applied it in BulkFileChanger's "action" menu thing, and I thought it worked but clearly it did nothing, since the files have a second apart from them which was how I left them earlier. I still need a replacement to avoid this failure program entirely.

hi /sqg/ i have problems configuring my cock.li account in thunderbird. i'm using the domain @420blaze.it and the server name is pop.420blaze.it, which doesn't work, saying the smtp is incorrectly configured. I changed it to mail.cock.li, which works, but says my account password is incorrect and that authentication failed. pls help

Is there any advantage in using startx (xinit) instead of a display manager like lightdm ?

not in the sense that it does something lightdm doesn't, just in that it's one less thing to load and run
if you don't need anything lightdm does over xinit, then you can pick either

Why do server CPUs have so many cores?

Why do home CPUs have several cores? If having many is not important, why don't they have 1, like they used to? If having more is important, why don't they have as many as server CPUs?

It has a graphical login screen. With xinit you log in on the console and then run xinit/startx, or have it start automatically.

A display manager also works around certain GPU/driver combinations that nuke the VTs in some way when they init.

>Why do server CPUs have so many cores?
Because they do a LOT of things at once, like servicing many concurrent requests.

>Why do home CPUs have several cores? If having many is not important, why don't they have 1, like they used to?
It is important, especially as more programs become multithreaded and we demand more multitasking from our computers. It also provides a way to give you more computing power since we've been hitting a wall for the last while one making a single core much faster.

>If having more is important, why don't they have as many as server CPUs?
Because that costs more and past a certain point it adds very little for typical use cases.

because they often work with tons of threads, many of which are quite heavy
consumers often run a handful of threads, but only a few of them at most use a lot of cpu time

Thanks