/spg/ - Smartphone General

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>Reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com
>Software Recommendations
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/List_of_recommended_Android_software

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones
pastebin.com/eMtwGjJX

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Mobile World Congress 2018 starts February 26th

Recent News:
>ZTE Axon 9 pictured in a new leak, rumoured to receive flagship specs
gizchina.com/2018/02/12/zte-axon-9-pictured-in-a-new-leak-rumoured-to-receive-flagship-specs/
>Sony Xperia XZ2 Pro Leaked on A HTML Benchmark Screenshot
gizchina.com/2018/02/11/sony-xperia-xz2-pro-leaked-html-benchmark-screenshot/
>Snapdragon 845 benchmarks show an incredible GPU, faster CPU
gsmarena.com/snapdragon_845_benchmarks-news-29580.php
>AnTuTu hints at an 18:9 screen for the Sony Xperia H8266
gsmarena.com/antutu_hints_at_an_189_screen_for_the_sony_xperia_h8266-news-29578.php

Last thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

androidpolice.com/2018/02/10/miuwhy-xiaomi-deletes-twitter-poll-miui-loses-android-one/
androidpolice.com/2018/02/12/huawei-loads-best-buy-mate-10-pro-listing-100-fake-reviews-inevitably-gets-caught/
theverge.com/2018/2/12/17005798/huawei-fake-reviews-best-buy-mate-10-pro-phone
kmv.to/f/y3gmrp
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

mi note 4x is cheaper than mi note 4, should I got for it? I want to flash it and I was wondering if it's as supportes by the dev community as the mi note 4

They're the same phone hardware-wise, so the ROMs can be flashed on both

Here are my options, what do:

Huawei Nova
Xperia XZ
P9
Honor 8
P10
P10 Plus
Mate 10
LG G6

Mate 10

When did kuroneko become the mascot of phone threads anyway

I ran out of photos with Kirino with her phone...

When the new redmi note 5 comes? I need new phone asap. My sim card bay broke on htc one m8.

Femanon here

The Redmi Note 5 was cancelled unfortunately. It's been replaced by the Redmi 5 Plus (which is pretty shitty with the same old processor as the RMN4). There are no plans for a RMN5

hang yourself

Please don't be rude to femanon.

Kill yourself to death until you die.

r00d

Don't expect nice comments when you post yourself in a NEET-site :^)
Just a heads up for the degenerates around here

Fuck, you're disgusting.

Stop posting Kusoneko, thanks.

get the fuck out already

Oreo just got released for the S8 in my country. Is it a good upgrade?

What sub-$200 do you guys recommend

I try to keep it related by at having OP feature a phone. If you have any new pictures of Kirino holding a cellphone, please share.

Kirino and Kuroneko should make love instead of arguing, just like the doujins.

redmi note 4

How long do low/mid-end Samsung phones get regular security updates? I am thinking about buying a Galaxy A5 2016 since I found it on sale.

And how it compare to these:
Galaxy J3 2016 and 2017,
Nokia 3 and 5,
Huawei Y6II Compact, P9 lite and P8 lite 2017
Xperia E5,
LG X Screen,
Meizu M5c

I found these to be about the same price as the SG A5 on sale. Any other recommendation?

What's a good android ereader that can view pdf, mobi, and epub at least?
Bonus if I can find it on f droid

Super bonus if it has page turning effects like the nook app, sounds stupid but I like it.

Wrong, Redmi Note 5 is launching in India on 14 February

So apparently the snapfire 845 won't be as powerful as the exynos 9810, but the next gen adreno gpu will be leagues better than whatever samsung is going with.
What implications does this have? Should I wait for the LG G7/V40, or should I get the S9? I want a good ass camera and the possibility of 120fps 4k recording sounds really enticing, but I dislike the edge meme, and I really don't want the gpu struggling with gaymes or the UI.
What do?

It could be just redmi 5 India launch though.

stop playing shitty mobile games.

>>Snapdragon 845 benchmarks show a...faster CPU

Isn't that to be expected?

hello spg, csg redirected me here, recommend me a phone with amoled display sub 150.

Is it safe to buy anything amoled these days? If i recall correctly they turn green

btw guys, how well can you play hi10p vids on your phones? i only saw one phone that can decode them nicely

If I want to change the battery of my smartphone in the future, and nobody sells the original battery anymore, is it safe to get an alternative non-original battery?

My Xiaomi Mi5 started clicking its homebutton by itself for a couple of hours today, presumably due to cold weather. Is this a thing? Will it get damaged if I don't put it in my meatpocket so it stays warm?

is OIS more than a meme ?

Phone cameras without OIS are literally garbage

i want to fug ruri

I thinking about buying the Honor 7X. Is it worth it?

so the a5 2017's camera sucks?

Compared to S7, yes

doesn't the s7 cost twice as much ?

Depends on your country's prices I guess, here A5 is 299€ and S7 is 349€

It's 100€ more in my country, what should I get if i want a good camera under 300€?

Femanon here, eat my ass

I've recently found out that even sony has been using mediakek for their entry level smartphones.

My disappointment is immeasurable and my day is ruined.

i'm about to pull the trigger on the note 4x is it better to get the redmi 5 plus ? (btw i dont care a bout the 18 :9 meme )

is the s7 a good buy still ?

Redmi 5 Plus is newer so it doesn't have as good custom ROM support as the 4X, If that's something you care about the 4X is still the better choice

Yes

Answer please.

Is the Moto E4 (unlocked version, for no VZW MVNO blacklisting and official bootloader unlocking) the best removable-battery phone today?

Is there some Sup Forums recommended .doc reader for android? what about .txt?

What is mediakek?

Thank you kind sir

Fuck off.

Tomorrow at what time GMT +2 Xiaomi will announce the Redmi Note 5?

Should I wait for SD845?

Mediatek socs aka pimped out router processors aka mediakek aka chinkshit botnet.

Absolutely bottom of the barrel mainstream CPUs. Terrible documentation, no software support, most likely phoning China on a daily basis. Terrible energy management, terrible image processing, terrible GPS. Overall, just one tiny pile of somehow compute enabled piece of shit.

One would think Sony being Japanese would still have some honor left, but no. There's escaping the chinkshit.

anyone here have the xiaomi mi a1?

How long have you had it? how's it treating you so far?

Can somebody answer?

yes

Can you fix the botnet with root tweaks? Can't really do anything about the rest, really

Is MIUI 9 better somewhat than 8 or is just placebo pajeet shilling?

Ok thanks. And what is safer: buying a replacement battery online or from a tech shop in my town!? Who is less likely to trick me_

I will buy a moto z2 force today. Any objections?

If you can wait yes

How? There is no documentation on it whatsoever. You're dealing with a black box, and all the roms available online are those the chinese manufacturers fell like uploading.

It's an apple wannabe tryhard os, so you're really asking what flavor o shit smells better.

bump

Hows the Huawei Mate 10 Pro? Upgrading from a nexus 6p, looking for stock android and a big screen.

Best place for buying used smartphones? Looking at an LG G6 on Swappa right now

Is a Oneplus 2 for 90 Euro's a good succesor to my Nexus 5 that I've sold for 50 euros?

Best place to buy new phones in Australia?

>JB Hifi, Harvey Norman, Good Guys
Legit but very expensive
>Kogan, Dick Smith
Cheap but gray chinese shit
>Ebay, dodgy popup mobile stores
Chinese shit and refurbs

Am I missing anything?

That's wasn't what he asked you mongoloid

Too big. Too old.
You should've kept your Nexus 5. I'm using it right now, and it's still great (especially with LineageOS).

androidpolice.com/2018/02/10/miuwhy-xiaomi-deletes-twitter-poll-miui-loses-android-one/

How embarrassing...

haha stupid chinkies

My friend has been using it for a few months, and he's saying that it's the best thing since sliced bread.

Does quick charging decrease the lifespan of batteries?

Yup

Can i get some more feedback on here
Currently have an HTC 10, and its shitting itself. Camera does not open, it suddenly shuts off at a higher battery percentage every time, last time it was at 58%.

>it suddenly shuts off
I mean the phone. And won't turn on unless plugged in.

androidpolice.com/2018/02/12/huawei-loads-best-buy-mate-10-pro-listing-100-fake-reviews-inevitably-gets-caught/

I really like my phone
I hope you all like your phones too

I don't, desu I want a 4.5 inch Android 4.4.4 with decent specs.

Instead I'm stuck with 6.01 on a crappy ZTE

It hasn't been the same since I went from 4.4 to 6.x. Yeah an extra swipe to unlock and check notifications is a great fucking idea.

Well I hope you get a better phone, user!

I know what you mean. I don't use the fingerprint scanner on my S8+ because it's too much of a pain in the ass to get my finger to the scanner.

Great phone. I have one. Just make sure you get a screen protector because it scratches super easily. Verizon sells a good one.

Got any source of that?

Terrible!

theverge.com/2018/2/12/17005798/huawei-fake-reviews-best-buy-mate-10-pro-phone

qd_au, mobileciti

>friend gets a razer phone
>it has a theme store app
>he got this kick ass theme thats all neon and crunchy 8bit sounds for notifications
>can't find the apk
God damn I just want the sounds. It was so fucking tight

Extract the apk from his phone

This, many apk share apps can do this, even file manager if you can find it in /data/app

Axon 7 mini or maybe the Nubia M2. Here's my search results: kmv.to/f/y3gmrp

I would go after the V20.

Mobileciti sell Australian stock, tend to be only slightly cheaper. People usually would use them price match it at Officeworks. But make sure you look around since some of the legit stores might have the phone you're after on sale and cheaper. And if you do buy from them, don't expect much aftersale support and only manufacturers warranty.

I suspect my phone isn't getting the advertised battery life, is there a go-to benchmark you guys use? I need to know if I should send it back or if I'm just expecting too much.

Can anyone ID the phone hideo kojima uses? It looks aesthetic as fuck but at the same time like a newer zune model.

That particular camera is indeed not that good, one of my friends has it and it's significantly worse than the S7 especially in low-light