MSI Brand

How good are they? a friend of mine, a software programmer, was telling me that MSI laptops builds are great, are they just a meme or are they really good compared to other brands like Asus or Dell for example.

Also in the future i am considering getting but I need opinions

What's Sup Forums opinion on this?

Other urls found in this thread:

msi.com/Workstation/WT73VR-7RM/Specification
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Mine refuses to boot after a failed Ubuntu install. Asked a guy and he says BIOS needs to be reflashed by MSI. I am now hapy with an HP EliteBook running Ubuntu.

I wanted to buy one. But they all contain CD drive (quite useless these days) and weird doubled backslash on keyboard near space. So I bought Lenovo Y instead, cheaper and had basically the same hardware (yet I think I would buy MSI next time since Broadcom WiFi sucks with Linux).

Replace CD Drive with HDD/SSD

Have a GS63VR and while I wouldn't do the screen grab on it it's otherwise a fine laptop capable of pretty much everything my desktop is as far as I know. The keyboard lighting is kind of annoying and can't produce a pure white, instead there are a couple LEDs towards the space bar that are slightly red or slightly green. Initially it comes with a shitpile of worthless bloat so I just banged a new copy of Wangblow 10 into it.

MSI sucks balls. Don't waste your money. That friend of yours is a retard by the way.

Well i don't know for MSI,but i own ROG G752VY,and its utter shit..in all seriousness.There are many reasons why you shouldn't consider buying "high end - gaming" ASUS laptop.Believe me on this one.

pretty much this but i have an older GS60 i got used for cheap.
aside from the ugly lights the keyboard is pretty neat; can't say the same about the trackpad

MSI is terrible, don't get me wrong the specs they offer at the price point is good, but the physical quality of the laptop is terrible. Me and a friend both had MSI laptops and within 6 months there were serious signs of wear on both our laptops and my screen started to get spots in it. You can't tell this by looking at them in the store but they degrade very quickly. Get a brand like acer or asus instead.

Bought an MSI GE62VR in January 2017.

Been all over the U.S. including Puerto Rico with me and now to my new home in Europe. Runs everything as well as my desktop does currently and the build quality does feel pretty solid. The only time I was worried was when I got off a cessna in St. Thomas and the fucker handling bags dropped mine from about 4 feet in the air onto the baggage cart. It has a crack on the hinge now but barely noticeable and did not affect performance. I don't think many other builds can stand up to something like that honestly.

I would definitely recommend them in this order if looking for a gaming laptop MSI, Gigabyte, Lenovo, Acer, Dell, Asus

Utter crap.

Friends have bought them in the past and had them die within 2 years.

Not to mention, Linux barely works, and if it does, good luck getting the Killer NIC to work.

I just have their 980 Ti and it's served me well since 2015.

get an x61 thinkpad

Their hardware is pretty alright. Never had experience with their laptops.

The only MSI laptop is the barebones from Eurocom/hidevolution. You get a desktop cpu.

>"a friend of mine"

Tell your "friend" MSI is trash, steer clear, and get "his" hardware from a reputable manufacturer.

msi.com/Workstation/WT73VR-7RM/Specification

absolutely amazing for someone who needs something both portable and can run high load programs for industrial design. expensive, but totally worth it.
>did I mention it is VR ready?

any recommendations?

MSI laptops are pretty decent, I own one.

Definetly better than brands like dell and Acer in my opinion. Though falls a bit short of asus.

But as you are a software programmer, unless you do stuff that's really demanding on the hardware, don't get one, as the only good kinds of laptops MSI has are gaming laptops. All the regular ones kind of suck in terms of price to performance imo.

Dell XPS 13 or a high end Lenovo

They used to be very great for their price but then they started selling expensive laptops with unreasonably bad specs and now no one wants to buy msi anymore. A lot of shops where I'm from are giving out huge discounts for msi laptops because, i'm guessing, they've been on their shelves for too long.

Speaking from experience too, I have a ge60 laptop with a gt 650m and after just 4 years the shift key stopped working and the system started heating like crazy. Had to replace the thermal paste for it to run fine again.

in terms of build quality, they are actually pretty average. the one i bought came with a really bad TN screen, so i had to replace it for an ips one. but now the hinges look kinda off if you really take a moment to look at it. just make sure if you get one, it has an ips screen.

>after just 4 years
Fucking seriously? Most people don't even keep cars that long, get the fuck out of here.

I bought the sc17 for 1.3k recently and it's pretty solid

msi mobos were hella good
msi gpus is decent
msi laptops are trash

Extremely average.

I had an MSI mobo and it was... extremely average. It worked, but I would definitely not give it any extra praise. Much happier with my new asrock

Go with the MSI laptop or a Lenovo laptop. Ignore all the others when it comes to gaming laptops unless you care a little less about build quality. Then go Acer.

Sure, it'd be fine for you if you're a richfag that can afford an $800-1200 gaming laptop (msi laptops are more expensive now) every few years, but to some people they wouldn't know if they'd have that much cash when their laptop shits itself.

I bought and MSI laptop in 2012. It's still my main machine today. I owned may be 5 laptops, and the one I currently use is the best. Next buy (circa 2020 probably) will probably be a Thinkpad tho', I don't play games or use windows anymore.

If it needs mending learn to stitch.

Hence why i'm still using it. The keyboard's kinda hopeless though since it's hard to find a steelseries keyboard for a 4 year old model.