Never thought I'd come to Sup Forums for anything, much less advice, but I dunno where to start

Never thought I'd come to Sup Forums for anything, much less advice, but I dunno where to start.

So today I got this old keyboard from my uncle today. It's a Yamaha PSR-500, made in 1991. Not that it matters, but it's been in my family for AT LEAST 15 years. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if he bought it brand new. Anyway, the pic is the same keyboard. It has 100 old-school sounding MIDI instruments, 12 track memory settings, a pitch altering switch, and a bunch of other features I don't know shit about.

Now, here's the idea: I wanna make music with it. Like a bunch of weird onestop.mid-type shit, maybe some video game inspired music since it sounds like an oversized Nintendo 64. But like I said, I have no idea where to start. I found some USB to MIDI interface devices for pretty cheap, but I don't know if I need anything else.

TL;DR -- I want Sup Forums to help me be a shitty Grant Kirkhope impersonator.

(Here's Yamaha's web page for my instrument: usa.yamaha.com/products/musical-instruments/keyboards/digitalkeyboards/portable_keyboards/psr500/)

Other urls found in this thread:

soundcloud.com/scrimzoola
soundcloud.com/scrimzoolahttps://soundcloud.com/scrimzoolahttps://soundcloud.com/scrimzoola
youtube.com/watch?v=atvtBE6t48M
soundcloud.com/scrimzoola/darth-chillin
youtube.com/watch?v=IgPOxbVSlbc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

HAHAHAHAHAHA

DUuuude. My uncle gave me a dope roland alpha juno 2 from th 80's still in the box with the styrafoam and shit and like ever since I fucked with it and then I bought a drum machine at a pawn shop and I started jamming with it and I think I got, fairly decent at makin my little jams and shit but like, I hardly knew how to play the piano I just kind of, went along with the beat really or just kind of like maybe not sometimes, and like, I dunno, me and my friends like it and shit lol but BITCH I'M SCRIMZOOLA.

soundcloud.com/scrimzoola
soundcloud.com/scrimzoolahttps://soundcloud.com/scrimzoolahttps://soundcloud.com/scrimzoola

Watch this video series:
youtube.com/watch?v=atvtBE6t48M

There's a few different ways you could record, I personally would just get a cheap audio interface and plug the yamaha into an xlr input. There's other ways you can go about it, but that's just what I would do. Good luck op.

Torrent ableton then gg

what is the relevance of your post to this thread
also what the fuck are you going on about

I'm actually from the zth dimension where everything is electric sound and I was banished from the realm of sound because I rocked to hard and then I was cast into the universe where I travelled through space and time looking for the perfect planet to take over, I found earth and heard its shitty music and figured I could find a way to emulate to the sounds of the zth dimension for earthlings because I am fuckin Scrimzoola bitch

soundcloud.com/scrimzoola/darth-chillin

not that guy but he's pretty relevant. They're both talking about their vintage keyboards.

he did kinda go on for a bit though..

I'm not sure if you're doing this for laughs or you're just in something right now but please adopt a trip Mr Scrimzoola
I'm Scrimzoola bitch is memeworthy

Except OP is talking about a generic unprogrammable Yamaha keyboard while he's talking about an Alpha Jubo 2, which is a synth. They're completely different.

The only thing I'm in is yo mama's pussy hoe

Scrimzoola 2008-2016+

I just saw keyboard and uncle and was like, yo, this guy is into some shit right here

But he aint no fuckin scrimzoola bitch

I meant to type on rather than in, but both would work in that scenario I guess

>MIDI instruments

Those aren't MIDI instruments. Those are presets being read from the ROM chip inside the keyboard.

What are you going to do with a MIDI to USB interface device? Are you going to use the yamaha to trigger MIDI on something else? If not, then it's useless.

Get a copy of Reaper, an audio interface, plug the headphone out from the keyboard into the interface, and record some tracks.

OP, that's a synth, not a MIDI controller. Just get a DAW and a regular audio interface and record yourself playing on it. Watch piano tutorials on Youtube if you aren't a great player.

To be fair, it has MIDI ins and outs.

So, technically, it could be used as a midi controller

Ah didn't know that.

Yeah you could use it as both if you wanted. If you like the feel of the keys you might as well use it for everything.

i feel ya brother, I had an uncle too holmes so i kno what yu mean ya kno bro

their aint no mor keyboards like the juno 2,

Juno 2, that's some weak shit.

All about the 106

What the fuck am I listening to? Great recommendation though, thanks!

See, I know I could always just download another program and use it as a keyboard controller (or just use my actual computer keyboard) but a very important thing for me here is to use the old sounds that they keyboard itself has on board. If there's some simple way I can plug the thing into my computer, record what I play, and export it into an MP3 (or maybe FLAC), that's absolutely what I'm looking for.

See

Anyone know of a decent cheap audio interface? tfw just dropped nearly 200 on a synth and now I gotta get another thingy. Oh well. I'm just a jew.

Focusrite Scarlets 2i

i want a korg

A korg what?

>don't say microkorg

Not him but
>tfw no Z1
>tfw no M1
>TFW NO WAVESTATION

pretty sure that Yamaha keyboard, while a toy, is till a synthesizer

If it has a midi out he's in business

It is technically a ROMpler.

Synths usually allow for manipulation of the waveforms or analog signals, this yamaha series can only play the sounds on the ROM chip.

microkorg xl's sound pretty dope...

I have an old PSS-470 Yamaha I love to play, I don't really do music on it though.
It can make some monstrous bass sounds and it's all-around decent. It's even survived the basement floods

I have a 10 year old PSR-1100. It has in built production tools. Though pretty basic, they get the job done. I've used a PSR-500 before. It's pretty much the same, albeit with less voices and styles. And if you hook it up to MIDI out, it's pretty much all you need to be a decent producer.

Yeah but they got dem tiny keys that are unplayable

Shiiiiiet...my dad had this same keyboard, good times. 23 is the distortion guitar yeah?

There isn't much to learn like with a synthesizer. It's super simple, just have fun with it.

I have spider fingers

Sorry

youtube.com/watch?v=IgPOxbVSlbc
Scrimzoola is god tier