Does anyone on here NOT like this album? If so, why?

Does anyone on here NOT like this album? If so, why?

I am currently listening to it for the first time. I'm on Treefingers, and I'm not quite sure what to think. The music is beautiful but it is certainly not what I had expected. I had heard EIIRP, How to Disappear Completely, and Idioteque before

They'll NEVER top this one no matter what.

If you heard those songs then you already got the general feel of the album, why would it surprise you somehow

I just realized I have heard Optimistic before too. This is very good.

The classic, quintessential Radiohead album. The only logical progression for them to top OKC. And it revolutionized music, distinguishing the 21st century from the last.

I didn't like it at first but that was because I went in to it with a lot less musical experience in terms of experimentation. So as an 18 year old who just wanted something with good energy and big hooks I didn't really understand the appeal of it.

But I've come around to appreciating different kinds of music and understanding what Kid A was supposed to be.

OK what the fuck. I have definitely heard In Limbo somewhere before as well. What is going on?

That wasn't far from the initial reaction to Kid A from the rock-loving Radiohead fans of the 90s.

And Amnesiac, being the B-sides to Kid A, is still very good, but not better.

i don't like it because i haven't heard it. i'll probably get to it in seven or eight years.

It's a pretty well known album, I know they've played the songs in tv and probably some movies

I think I was expecting something more along the lines of Everything in Its Right Place and Idioteque, as opposed to songs like The National Anthem and Kid A

AMSP is their darkest album since Amnesiac. I don't understand why the released it in the spring. It's as wintery an album as Kid A and I like that.

It isn't my favourite. I guess my tastes are more pleb, I like the more conventionally pleasing sounds of In Rainbows.

Nude, Reckoner, Weird Fishes, 15 Step, House of Cards, Bodysnatchers, Jigsaw Falling Into Place and All I Need... every track was a home run for me.

Listened to it for the first time earlier today. It's some good shit but didn't keep my attention all the way thru

>let me hear both sides
I literally laugh every time

>The only logical progression for them
lmao this is how you know an underage poster

the only Radiohead album I really like is Amnesiac. The others are alright, but not anything I'd revisit

ive been thinking about this a lot lately.
It's not one of my favorite records because I'm not that big a radiohead fan, but it's still clearly incredible and I've been listening to it a lot lately. Motion Picture Soundtrack is one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard, but other than that there are no standouts for me. I think that's kind of the point, though.

It flows very well as a record--almost perfectly--but this doesn't stand out, because albums with good flow tend to also have an air of theatricality about them, a sort of symbolic acknowledgment of the record's wholeness. Kid A, instead, has a level of subtlety to it (all radiohead's music does post-OKC) that seems to be a lot closer to classical music than rock music. The key difference between those two big schools of music, the one that is commonly called classical and the other that is commonly called rock, is emotional/dynamic range. Rock music has a limitless range, and usually overemotes--i.e. it oversimplifies emotions and feelings. A sad rock song is on some level trying to be the saddest it can be. "Classical" music, and remember the term here is used very loosely, is the opposite--with all its restrictions, it naturally has more subtle layers and dynamics to its emotional range. This makes it a lot less innately appealing and perhaps less soulful but arguably allows for a more evocative and complex experience.

Radiohead, and Kid A specifically, is an incredible example of a fusion between the two schools of thought. It is a classical-minded album in many ways regarding emotional range and dynamics. But it also has moments where it clearly breaks out of this mindset, like MPS. It reads as an incredibly SAFE and almost clinical album in the modern rock spectrum, with hardly any big moments of emotional energy. In a landscape of songs that are made up of exclusively big emotional moments, Kid A seems unimpressive. But that's because it's just actually giving a shit about emotional range?

I rarely listen to that entire album because the opener track is so bad. The Bends is the only Radiohead album that I like.

I love it but I dont think it should be praised as their best album
imo
KidA=Amnesiac=OKC=IR=HTTT=AMSP>Bends>TKOL>>>>>>>PH

i get its appeal, but it's boring desu

I always ranked it below okc but I listened to it again this week and I think would put it under amnesiac, the bends, and maybe HTTT

One of their worst albums. Its shitty aphex twin with poor vocals

The people who don't like it have probably only listened to it once or twice.

You were meant to love this album. You knew these songs before you were born... they didn't even exist yet. Thom Yorke had yet to compose or even think of these melodies but they were already a part of you, your dna, your soul. And no matter what, they will always be with you.

Reported for cancer

Listening for the first time as well.

Eh, it just feels flat. Typical Sup Forums 'mood > musicwriting' album. As I skip tracks, a guitar tuneling appeared at the beginning of 'How to Disappear Completely', but it aptly disappeared soon enough.

Layering tons of droning upon each other just isn't my thing. It's clear that composing was those guys' secondary or tertiary priority, and that guitar parts for instance were written 'because something has to be there'. A 2.8/10 album.

Maybe 2.6.

thanks for the critical analysis pierro

>As I skip tracks

Wanna know how I know this is bait?

what a massive pleb, judging an album by the first listen

My lifetime is not infinite and I prefer to listen to music that could, even if far potentially, teach me to write some in addition to being enjoyable.

Any shit is palatable if you force yourself to eat it. I hope this particular bait is never reacted to.

I think a lot of people are going to take this bait.

>Any shit is palatable if you force yourself to eat it
please leave this board

I'm hardly even here, I just search the archive for recommendations including my favourites.

Also, the 'all strange music is bad unless you force yourself to understand it' is wrong because I often listened to unfamiliar music that I loved on first listen.

Then I also have a question for you: can you tell me what's to like on that album? The record is an amateur electronic music by all standards, a Thom Yorke solo project. It's an interesting take on sound, but all songs except maybe Idioteque are bland sound-centric mood pieces without melody or songwriting. Don't even start me on Electioneering.

Why it's hailed by everyone? Because P4K. Did you read their review of the album? Go read it—it's not even an analysis, it's pure cringe, the author is simply praying on Radiohead. In Rainbows is my favorite, closely followed, ironically, by Amnesiac, which for some reason has by far better tunes than Kid A.

If you like Kid A, you probably like ITAOTS, Arcade Fire and other P4K memes; thus you no taste of your own, and won't be able to make any objective points about the album—only "muh GOAT" and "muh ten outta ten".

It forces emotion

someone pls post a link to this archive links are DEAD

Newfag, go back to Sup Forums please.

This is one of the best concept albums of all time. You have to listen to it in full and in order to get the whole feel of the album. It ranks right up there with DSotM and SfaM as far as concept albums go

I have never listened to Radiohead, except burn the witch, was pretty good

>If so, why?
I imagine some incoherent argument about it 'copying' krautrock and/or IDM, instead of merely being influenced by them

It's not stimulating or interesting.

I have listened to Radiohead's entire discography and have failed to grasp why everybody likes them so much.

I love albums that are sad/ melancholic, e.g. pet sounds, spider land, f a infinity. But Radiohead (especially Kid A) just sounds dull and boring as heck. I can appreciate that a lot of work went into it, but it just sounds like laziness. Also I really hate thom's voice.

I don't dislike it, but it's not something I'd listen to again. It's just kinda...there

Why

I never really cared for any radiohead. they're just a boring band

>8.4, too much water

Cringed

boring snorefest

no fun.
i only like the national anthem

are you afraid to let your feels take over, user? why?

anyone who's listened to more than the most basic of Sup Forumscore will find little stimulation or substance in listening to it which is probably why the average radiohead fan is >19

it's not bad though just not very good

thom just decided that he wanted to rip off aphex twin while still sounding like radiohead

hacks

ok scruffy

>2.8/10
i know this is bait but DAMN

I agree with this fully. I wouldn't rate it this low though, maybe 6.5/10. But the truth is right there: instead of making accessible album with great compositions like In Rainbows, Yorke just went along with lofty mood pieces and pure emphasis production. The result is the album you can't listen to seriously for a long time except for few moments like Idioteque. Not to mention that Yorke's sensibilities in electronics are as strong as Aphex Twin's sensibilities in rock.

And the ironic thing: Amnesiac, allegedly an album of leftover material, gets so much more right. It has compositions instead of IDM/soundscape bullshit.

I like The Bends. Their best album.

>More rock,
>less pling, krrgt, skrrt, plang, woosh

every song has a great riff or hook.

I tried to listen to it 3 times but it never failed to bore me halfway through (Idioteque is memorable, though). It sounds like mellow, unengaging rock music with electronics that has been done better by other artists (who could genuinely experiment and keeps things interesting. I really don't like it, but then again I'm not the biggest Radiohead fan. I'd say OKC and Amnesiac are the ones I like the most. I also enjoyed A Moon Shaped Pool.

> revolutionized music

How so? I love this album but what did they do on here that hadn't been done before?

I've always appreciated Radiohead far more than I've actually like them
hate me

same, i hold a lot of respect for thom yorke but their music isn't as good as people would like themselves to believe, probably because most radiohead fans are underexposed when it comes to music in general

only that it came out in the 20th century

I do not like it, because for all the times I have listened to it, I do not feel any consistency.

It's funny; I hadn't heard Kid A until the new Radiohead hype. I decided to listen after the leaflets went out. I went in thinking pretty much all Radiohead albums were going to sound like Creep -- I thought they'd all be plebby, Reddit-tier shit records. I thought it was all a meme, like with New Dirt, Old Boots.
But then I actually listened.
Kid A was a lot better than I thought it would be. Completely threw my expectations. It literally sounds like a surreal nervous breakdown. It's nearly perfect in every way. It kinda reminds me of an electronic ITAOTS.

I first listened to this album last summer at the age of this. Prior to this I had only listened to bends, and I decided to download this and OKC to listen to on holiday, having a music taste at the time based pretty much in guitar driven indie rock.

First time listening to this album I was blown away. This was before the days when I actually read about music, so consequently I had basically no knowledge about it aside I from my friend telling me 'If you want to listen to Radiohead get these two (KA + OKC) as these are the most popular. And holy shit this album blew me away - I'd literally never heard anything else like it before, at the time it was the most innovative, chilling, intelligent album I'd ever heard and debatably still is to the day. I was instantly hooked, was so impressed instead of going on to OKC I listened to the full thing again. Objectively and subjectively it's fucking remarkable how good it is.

After two listens I went onto OKC and it was nothing short of pathetic in comparison listening to it for the first time. Every whisper of creativity and innovation seemed contrived, forced and unintelligently artificial in comparison, it sounded so backwards in comparison despite only being a few years younger, it just sounded like nothing shy of a dull test run for greater and higher things in comparison.

It's fair to say the album has changed my life. It literally opened me up to any form of music beyond indie guitar music, which now a year on is a 'genre' (basically nothing more than an umbrella term) I find so dull, mediocre and outdated. Not only that but it helped me to realise that music is objective as well as subjective; all genres hold 'good' music, in part because of the numerous genres KA covers - if I just expand my mind (

Age of 17 guys my bad*

Dude..... Damn.....
I actually agree. Great articulation.

Electioneering is OKC.

Me. I've just never been able to get into Radiohead for some reason. They just don't appeal to me at all. Even in high school, when I liked tons of bands that made it seem like I'd love Radiohead, I could never get into them. Now their stuff sounds like it assumes emotion and power that it lacks, which is how I now feel about a lot of music that I liked in my late teens.

Re-read this post and feel bad about yourself

I don't know how you could honestly top this album.

I don't dislike it per se, but for the most part I'm not too fond of Radiohead. The instrumentation and Yorke's vocals has always been very clean and clinical feeling to me personally. I tend for that reason not to feel any emotional connection to their music. I do like the singles from the new LP however. Very modern classical-esque.

I hate Kid A. I can't stand Yorkes singing for a minute. Everyone assumes I love Radiohead because the rest of my taste fits the bill, but godamn I can't stand Thom.