Linus himself as said that if BSD wasn't in the legal situation it was in the early 90s he would have never made his...

Linus himself as said that if BSD wasn't in the legal situation it was in the early 90s he would have never made his kernel. What do you think the world would be like if BSD was being used for supercomputers and android and Sup Forums rather than linux? Would Free/Open/Dragonfly/NetBSD still exist or would eveyone just be using 4.3BSD/386BSD?

Other urls found in this thread:

openbsd-archive.7691.n7.nabble.com/TRIM-on-SSD-td332217.html
news.ycombinator.com/item?id=4729150
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTgyNDI
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

linux was a mistake and this is a bad timeline. I do think the free/open/* would exist in some form

MASTURBATING MONKEYS

No that's just openbsd

Just openbsd, they're literally stuck in the 80s

openbsd-archive.7691.n7.nabble.com/TRIM-on-SSD-td332217.html
news.ycombinator.com/item?id=4729150
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTgyNDI

Everybody would use windows or mac because BSD is a steaming pile of crap.

GNU/Hurd I guess.
Nobody would use a cuck license on code they care about

Mach kernel is under a permissive license

>openbsd didn't support multithreading until 2013
Jesus christ

Is BSD DOA because of legal trouble?
Really?
No.
Really?
Maybe it's DOA because it's got a cuck license.
GNU+Linux have had legal probs too.
I think the cuck license is the problem.
Legal probs was decades ago.

It’s ready when it’s ready.

AT&T sued because they claimed that the BSD release that was supposed to be free from the license AT&T had was still a copyright violation. It delayed BSD from being used for several years and by the time it could it was too late

Yawn,
Cuck license

what
is
your
problem
?

[spoiler]He's RMS.[/spoiler]

i don't think BSD would have been as successful as Linux if the latter didn't exist. There is something about Linus and his persistent attitude of "getting shit done" without making it some kind of ideology crusade like some of these other lunatics.

Windows still makes more patent trolling android vendors than they do from windows phones. Just like every year since windows phones came out.
And SCO/Novell dragged for years. And MS patent trolling everyone they can who even looks at linux.

But poor widdle BSD had legal trouble 85 years ago, and just can't catch up. Waaah.

>A good OS got jewed by AT&T but that's nothing to worry about

BSD is shit. Always has been and always will be. Don't get mad at me over it. If you open source your software, have the brains to copyleft it.

I like it.

>Windows still makes more patent trolling android vendors than they do from windows phones.
Its extremely easy to make more than zero dollars...

It would be like hell. BSD would be even more atomized and MS could even more easily to exploit its codebase.

Especially considering that basically 99% of FreeBSD is shit ported from Linux.

>from Linux
That's opensolaris.

>porting perfectly fine software instead of reinventing the wheel
Whoa! No way!

The inverse isn't true of actual BSD projects however, a good example is ports. It was a good idea but incomplete and underdeveloped. Linux has portage, which is to put it mildly, superior in the extreme.

"Your technical observations are of highly dubious merit"

BTFO

What makes portage better? I don't see what's wrong with ports in their current state.