So Sup Forums how many of you guys are actually computer science or computer programmers? I need some info...

So Sup Forums how many of you guys are actually computer science or computer programmers? I need some info. I'm currently first year at college, and I'm having trouble in math, my major is computer science and I was wondering. How much math do you guys use on an actual day to day basis? I'm considering a different career path if the use of high level math is a daily occurrence.

Other urls found in this thread:

gutenberg.org/ebooks/33283?msg=welcome_stranger
courses.csail.mit.edu/6.042/spring17/mcs.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

its a right of passage, grow a fucking brain

havent started college yet. planning on majoring in cs

Basically this.

Depends on what you are doing and the langauge you are using. If you're using C, good fucking luck. Besides, everyone and their mother wants to do cs. Its a meme at this point.

So if I can't understand the math I should just give up?

fuck big o

cs is an exact science what do you expect

Serious question: how did you even get into college, lest graduate from high school in the first place? Did you take AP Comp Sci in high school?

Technically as put it, it's a rite of passage but if you plan on going into graduate school in CS, then you definitely need to know linear algebra and vector calculus at the very least.

I did fine enough to pass most math in high school. I just don't want to start down a path if it will end in failure. Also I have no plans of going to graduate school. Just want a ba in cs.

Not that much in practice.

Just know how to analyze algorithm complexity, and in my case some basic category theory and your golden

Big O is ridiculously easy to understand.

Sidenote is that my work deals more with data processing and infrastructure type stuff.

For video games you need a strong basis in math on 3 dimensional space. It hurts my head when I try rotating vectors around each other and shit

you're probably not too stupid to understand calculus, you are probably just not used to working hard enough to understand calculus.

98% of Sup Forums is larping. Very few people here actually know how to program.

change majors now

I should probably just speak with someone actually in the profession. I forgot this place is what it is sometimes.

I'm a developer and posted previously.

Math is not the centre of the career. The centre is logical analysis.

Can you break a problem down to where it is now possible to solve it. That's all that matters.

Not much math will be needed for most software you write once you're out in the real world.

As for comp sci you do a lot of math. In comp sci you have to learn calculus, discrete maths, and other stuff that is not needed for a large majority of software. If you just want to be a regular programmer that does web dev or video games or some shit then you switch asap, it's already too late for me so I'm learning to embrace the maths.

Just basic shit,boolean logic,modulo operations,multiplication etc. I work with dsp, and most operations are based on simple multiplication and addition.

Underage detected. Please leave now.

Calculus
gutenberg.org/ebooks/33283?msg=welcome_stranger

Discrete math
courses.csail.mit.edu/6.042/spring17/mcs.pdf

Enough math for algorithms and data structures and for work as software engineer.

Computer graphics,theorical computer science,distribute systems,machine learning or IA will need way more mathematics.

keep projecting faggot

You're definitely going to have trouble in college without being good at math. In practice, you're going to be able to get by just fine. If you can compensate for your lack of engineering ability with your soft skills then you can be a successful in management. If you are technical but lack the knack for design then maybe QA would be better.

Bottom line is, the next four years will be hardest on you. Your career is up to you, and the effort you want to make.

4th year CS major here, to get your degree you need to be good at math, mine required calculus, discrete math, linear algebra and statistics (if it's an actual CS degree anyway). But really being good at math means you can identify which formula to use for which problem, that's literally all you have to do to pass (except discrete math which is just a mind fuck but you'll figure it out)

Haven't had to use any real math outside of class yet, I found that it's more important to learn the data structures and algorithms if your goal is to become a programmer

I fell for the meme too. I didn't know CS was gonna be so much math (thinking back I didn't even wonder or care, plus high school math was easy). Then I got to uni and got a rude awakening. But I'm glad I stuck through it, I almost got a real BCS now instead of some diploma, I just hope it pays off...

3rd year CS/EE major here. It really depends on what you consider math. If you're considering proofs-based math as math then Theoretical cs it is very mathy. if you consider calc as math, ML is very mathy. If you consider boolean logic as math, OS is very mathy. But apart from the cs classes that are dedicated to math, like mathematical methods in software (and graphics + ml), cs math isnt really like the math you do in hs. But if you're too much of a brainlet to learn even the intro class "maths", gl making more than 10k a year.

Rite you fucking retard

I use lots of combinatorial math and linear algebra and calculus for neural networks. no writing out equations by hand but you need to know what you're doing. can't bluff for too long googling stack overflow code snippets

This
> 3rd year here
One of my credits didn't transfer when I transferred to my current school so I had to take a 2nd year class during my first semester and the math really fucked a lot of people. Not so much in the programming but when it came to algorithms and such.
Ask some first year comp sci students to make a program that finds all the prime numbers from 1 - X .. the difference between those who are decent at math and the ones who should be an ITS or whatever your college / uni calls the IT major is the ones who understand math's program will be able to complete the task in seconds... not minutes

This; majority of most responsibilities is just troubleshooting and breaking problems down to simpler portions to make them easier to tackle.

There's plenty of jobs that just require you to be decent programming wise that are not QA.

You should not try to start in QA, it's hard to get out.

i got into college for applied mathematics then changed to computer engineering. What maths are you having trouble with OP? If you are in CS you need to get all the way to Calculus 2. Remember that wolfram alpha and khan academy are your friends, do YOUR FUCKING GOD DAMN HOMEWORK every day until it's easy to you. That's about it. Respond to me for more sage advice.

>tfw fell for the cs meme
>2nd year in college poor as fuck
>friend became an electrician in san diego and is already making $40 an hour +overtime
>70,000 fucking grand a year at 20
>I'm stuck on school and a shit part time job while he's out having fun on the weekends
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

>tfw you originally were planning on majoring in cs but now want to major in math
Is it true? Can I have a $300k+ starting salary?

Depends on what you mean by high level math. If you want to write efficient algorithms down to efficient coefficients or analyze data in a meaningful way then yeah.

Pretty much man

>$40 an hour + overtime
>70,000

isn't 40 an hour over 80k a year?

fuck so he makes more
aaaaaaaaaaaaa
and the pay is going up because of so many fucking projects down town