/sqt/ - stupid questions thread

Ask your stupid questions here.

Please first check the Sup Forums wiki for related keywords, and/ or search for an answer using one of the following privacy-respecting search engines (or any other such like them):

searx.me/
startpage.com/

Sup Forums wiki:
wiki.installgentoo.com/

You are not entitled to an answer. Banning bumps outright seems arbitrary, but please be considerate, since your question was definitely already seen by some. Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

ark.intel.com/products/80274/Intel-Atom-Processor-Z3735F-2M-Cache-up-to-1_83-GHz
forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/windows-7-sp1-media-refresh-download-links.60681/
searx.me/
searxes.danwin1210.me/
ddg.gg/lite
drive.google.com/file/d/1-saxT_EArFhGk7Ow1uLGkiGSRn_3aGtL/view
reddit.com/r/Piracy/comments/6dvkbt/full_guide_installing_activating_windows_10_ltsb/.
ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-ThinkCentre-M92p-Tiny-i5-2-9GHz-8GB-320GB-Win-10-Pro/
ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-ThinkCentre-M92p-Tiny-i5-2-9GHz-8GB-320GB-Win-10-Pro/332379682378?hash=item4d635f764a:g:qboAAOSwkGVZuweM
ebay.com/itm/152819348885
amazon.com/SkyTech-ArchAngel-Gaming-Computer-Desktop/dp/B01M3UKNVD/ref=lp_8588813011_1_6?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1518497614&sr=1-6)
smile.amazon.com/dp/B06XFG7157/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I3CK7YLDFWP7HP&colid=QP5IGHEXLR9H&psc=1
smile.amazon.com/dp/B075FLBJV7/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I2AGPQVPQFKRBH&colid=QP5IGHEXLR9H&psc=1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

To the user from the last thread trying to install Windows 7.
You copied your ISO in your USB or you actually used a program like Rufus to create the installer?

Who is this loli slut

I can't extract any archives, nearly every single one I get an error saying it's corrupt, but I can extract them if I switch to my linux install.

Any ideas? Maybe one of my hd's is failing? I have a 120G SSD partitioned in half, and 2x 3TB HDDs.

No idea what to do

My dick tells me Kokoro from 2hu.

here's what i did, copied from my last reply before the thread died
found a seemingly-legit iso off piratebay, put it on a flash drive, tried to go through advanced boot options via win10 settings, got the prompt shown here so i tried to just run the setup from the flash drive, it got to 2% then crashed when it couldn't delete the $windows~.br whatever folder
so i tried to delete said file manually, but the system didn't allow it, so i tried using disk cleaner, but that got stuck on scanning the system files, so i said fuck it and just gave up because this computer does NOT want me to install win7 for some fucking reason.

Would you like the Original Windows 7 ISO?
Ultimate x64 i assume?

also here, forgot the pic again

x86, if you don't mind, thanks

Why not 64bit? how old is that computer that you need a 32bit windows install?

will x64 work on my processor?

ark.intel.com/products/80274/Intel-Atom-Processor-Z3735F-2M-Cache-up-to-1_83-GHz
>Instruction Set 64-bit
Yes.
I assume this is a tablet, 2-1 laptop or a cheap $100 laptop?

Currently running Elive, and I don't like it. Should I go Gentoo or Netrunner?

Here, Windows 7 Ultimate x64:
magnet:?xt=urn:btih:2534ecaab70e970ffb8a678ba5ae39e8fb945a72&dn=X17-59465.iso&tr=udp://tracker.coppersurfer.tk:6969&tr=udp://tracker.leechers-paradise.org:6969&tr=udp://tracker.zer0day.to:1337&tr=udp://explodie.org:6969&tr=udp://tracker.opentrackr.org:1337

Source: forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/windows-7-sp1-media-refresh-download-links.60681/

>cheap $100 laptop?
bingo, never realized it was x64 though.
much appreciated m8

In BIOS you will need to turn SecureBoot off and change UEFI to Legacy to install Windows 7.
You could install Windows 10 LTSB on it if you have problems with drivers, most cheap laptops like those have compatibility problems
with windows 7 because they use cheap WLAN cards(Wifi adapters) or really cheap Touchpads that lack legacy compatibility, not all but they exist.
Source, i fix computers for a living.

>What is windows 10 LTSB
Windows 10 demonetized, removes all the shit Windows 10 comes with, you still need to turn 2 things off manually but is nothing in comparison to what you have to do with home and Pro versions for them to be usable.

And coming back to reinstalling windows and deleting all you had before.
You already did a backup of your old stuff right? if so in the Windows 7 installer it will give you the option to delete everything if you want to or automatically backup everything to a folder.
Your rufus settings should look like this, remember it will delete anything you had in that USB.

>searx.me/
use instead:
searxes.danwin1210.me/
will use other Searx randomly.

or just
ddg.gg/lite

my bios is really basic, the only things i can change are the date/time, password and something about safe boot that doesn't seem to affect anything, currently off. i've got everything critical that i can't redownload on my other flash drive, so that's a nonissue. i'll give the torrent a go and if it doesn't work i'll ping back with whatever other problems arise. thanks again.

Ive dowloaded some meme probability puzzle app with random puzzles and there it is the birthday problem.
What is the number of people required in room in order to get probability of common birthday greater than 0.5. I get it, cool. 1 - 365/365 * 364/365.......(365-n)/365 >0.5. The answer is 23 people, okay cool.
Now doing it my way the probablility of 2 people in a group of 2 having bday on the same day is 1/365, now considering only pairs not trips, quads etc. The probability of 2 people in a group of x having bday on the same day seems to be 1/365 * n! / (2*(n-2)!) aka 1/365 * (n-1)*n/2
which results in 20 people being enough. This shit is driving me mad. Where am i wrong? I know that in my method im considering only pairs but that should make req number of people even higher cause im not accounting 3s 4s and so on

Well you need MBR for Windows 7, by default you should use MBR setting for CSM/Legacy.
What laptop you got? ASUS X205TA?

MBR?
it's a Lenovo ideapad 100S-11IBY

MBR(Master Boot Record), you dont need to look into it, Rufus will do everything you need.

Anyway, i been researching and you have 2 huge problems with that laptop.
Lenovo locked out the Legacy/CSM option in that laptop so you cant install Windows 7 on it correctly (Unless you use a GPT install but you wont be able to activate it).
And second they locked the 64bit OS option too for whatever reason.
Download Windows 10 LTSB(Windows 10 Enterprise) x32 instead, it will work like 7.

fuck, was looking forward to getting the koikatsu demo to work. thanks again for the help.

x86 link: drive.google.com/file/d/1-saxT_EArFhGk7Ow1uLGkiGSRn_3aGtL/view

Source: reddit.com/r/Piracy/comments/6dvkbt/full_guide_installing_activating_windows_10_ltsb/.
>Inb4 reddit
Its a safe source.

How is it not working? do you need help setting it up?

before i bother programming this, does anyone know if 12! is too long to solve in this lifetime? basically trying to get all possible combinations of a list of 12, and do that about 2000 times.

is this impossible?

>32bit 版は非対応となります。タッチ操作は非対応となります。
Nevermind, its not compatible with 32bit OS.

Just buy a $150-200 thinkpad user at this point, way better than that cheap laptop.

it crashes when i try to run the .exe, and the english patcher says i'm using an OS that's incompatible with the software. which is why i wanted to change the OS itself, but since that's impossible on this damn thing i guess i won't be playing it until it comes out.
wish i had the cash to, but it's no worry. appreciate all the help regardless.

What i posted says that they wont release a 32bit version and that touchpads wont be compatible.

Even a $80 thinkpad should be able to run it.

How do I set up Deluge for DHT?

Re posting for a proper answer please.

So I figured this was too stupid to ask on /pcbg/, so Im doing it here. If I were to buy a b350 motherboard and pair it up with a 2200G, would it work out of the box? I read an user saying one would need to update the motherboard, but that doesn't make any sense because amd can't expect people to have a gpu and ryzen 1xxx processor just to apply the update to make apus usable. Unless the update is only to make higher clocked ram compatible. Yes, I feel retarded, but that user's comment is weighing on me.

My moms hard drive was sort of like this when it was failing. That would be my guess.

>eMachines
Now that is a name i haven't heard in 10 years.
Open Speccy user and post a screenshot of it.

Also that computer cant use more than 4GB RAM so its pointless to put 8GB RAM on it.

It wont:
A) Boot.
B) See more than 3.74GB RAM.
C) Both.

Just buy one of these:
ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-ThinkCentre-M92p-Tiny-i5-2-9GHz-8GB-320GB-Win-10-Pro/

Your computer is not worth upgrading.

But I can use it perfectly fine on my Linux install, which uses the same files in the same location (besides the OS obviously).

Wrong link, sorry:
ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-ThinkCentre-M92p-Tiny-i5-2-9GHz-8GB-320GB-Win-10-Pro/332379682378?hash=item4d635f764a:g:qboAAOSwkGVZuweM

Buy the full size version if you want to put a graphic card on it.

According to that guys video I posted It can run up to 8gb of ram.

>Now that is a name i haven't heard in 10 years.
Funny because I got mine in 2011

>Open Speccy user and post a screenshot of it
Let me warn you though the only thing I upgraded during that time was the graphics card.

>Your computer is not worth upgrading.
It is to me darn it. Also I rather save for a new beast of a computer.

They stopped production on the white ram sticks so I am forced to take a chance on the black ones. Which is why I am so worried.

Sorry I forgot to link you as well

Does proper wallpaper give a performance boost, more stability and more IQ for user?

Color wont make a difference, what matters are speed and timings.
Your motherboard can support 8GB RAM unofficially but compatibility is a hit and miss(nForce 430 chipset).
If it doesn't work just refund it.
If you are going to upgrade your computer anyway save the money and do it, you cant reuse DDR3 RAM on new computers because they use DDR4 only.

Reuse your GPU.

My laptop is getting hot so I opened it up and looked inside. Apparently one of the screw standoffs popped out of it's hole on the mobo so the connection between the CPU and heatsink is compromised. Would super glue be good enough to keep them together with the tension from the screw?

Google calculator says that's a bit under 480 million. Totally doable at least if you use a non shit language.

Probably not, but a picture would help.

>They stopped production on the white ram sticks so I am forced to take a chance on the black ones.
Forget black or white. Get red. Red makes everything go faster.

im having a bit of a web browser conundrum
i've been using palemoon for about a year, but i recently activated my netflix again, so drm content wont work on palemoon. the devs have been acting like fags lately, so theres another reason to change.
I moved back to firefox, but this plugin that forces 1080p on netflix only works on chrome for me. Isn't chrome a botnet though? what about chromium? will netflix and this 1080p plugin work on chromium? im on debian if that helps.

What's going to be the best way to make a backup of all my stuff and re-image? Had this desktop for 7 years now and never had to do it but something's fucked with it and I need a fresh install

ebay.com/itm/152819348885
will this run tekken 7? need it for traveling. don't care about settings, as long as it can reach 60 fps without overheating

>AMD FX
Avoid it, also its a horrible deal for the price.

studying for a cert test, the textbook told me that northbridge on the mobo is capable of communicating with USB 3.0, but a separate practice test i took online states that all USB communications are handled thru southbridge. is the test outdated or should i demand a refund from the book publisher?

I just got a free win10 computer from a friend. What are some obligatory programs to download after I reset it?

copy all the shit you want to keep to some kind of storage then put it on the fresh install

rufus, a linux iso of your choosing

Install Windows 10 LTSB 2016 on it.
Drivers for starters.
Office 2013, MPV or MPC, Honeyview or XNView, Malwarebytes, ublock origin.

So
My buddy bought one of those pre-built gaming pc's
(this one: amazon.com/SkyTech-ArchAngel-Gaming-Computer-Desktop/dp/B01M3UKNVD/ref=lp_8588813011_1_6?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1518497614&sr=1-6)

He called me over to check it out because it was acting weird. So I did a basic check- pretty much just making sure everything had correct drivers, etc. He told me he noticed a couple things:
1. it was running very slowly at first
2. it installed a windows update prior to being connected to the internet
3. a command prompt terminal popped up and disappeared when he first ran it
4. Attempting to run windows defender shows an infinite loading cursor, and causes the computer to run slow

I noticed that this wasn't a base install of 10, it had a custom wallpaper with the name of the company, none of the normal windows bloat, and a couple of third party programs like team viewer, prime95, and some graphics card test program

There was no product key to be found for windows, so no fresh installing

So what do you guys think the deal is?

How to regain my confidence and passion again? How to get a job again?

how about these
smile.amazon.com/dp/B06XFG7157/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I3CK7YLDFWP7HP&colid=QP5IGHEXLR9H&psc=1

smile.amazon.com/dp/B075FLBJV7/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I2AGPQVPQFKRBH&colid=QP5IGHEXLR9H&psc=1

pretty sure these will run them, just wanna know which is best bang for my buck and will last longer

Can't help you but I feel he should format and reinstall anyway just to rid the possibility of keyloggers.

is there a way to reinstall windows without a product key

Acer makes horrible quality laptops, for something they only give one year of warranty.
The Dell one looks like a really good deal.

Alright guys thanks to you I was able to reach a decision. I'll upgrade the ram and give my computer away to someone who needs it when I get my beast of a computer. I already know that doing the latter is going to hurt like a mother

Chromium is Chrome minus the botnet. I use it regularly. I don't have Netflix so idk whether that works, though everything that works with Chrome I've seen yet works in Chromium.

I've also observed that uBO works less well in Chromium/Chrome compared to Firefox. It's fine on most pages, but on Youtube it fails to block video ads. So I use Firefox for all Youtube watching.

You could use Palemoon for browsing and then open Chromium just for Netflix.

Yes.

Download Microsoft Autorun, run it as admin, and post logon and scheduled tasks here.

Chromium is still as much as a botnet as Chrome.

thanks

Gonna need a source on that. What does it do?

Why the fuck is there sound on google?

My phone has an awful camera but this is one of the good ones, can't get into the bad one without taking it apart and I can't find my thermal paste right now.

The Winter Olympics themed doodle?

When reading man pages, what do the numbers mean? like 'man fread' will show FREAD(3) at the top, 'man grep' will show GREP(1), etc.

Are l0phtcrack or pkCrack even viable cracking programs anymore? Can they penetrate even the most basic systems?

I think I see the issue. I think I'm seeing a screw going through a heatsink mount, then into a metal standoff that I'm assuming goes through the PCB and connects to the shell.

Where is the other one broken off? Seems to me what you need is something holding the heatsink thingy down to the PCB. If there's space (or if the remainder of the standoff thing can be cut/broken off the shell), you could get an appropriately sized nut+bolt with thin head and plastic/rubber/silicone washer to prevent shorts, and put the bolt through the board and then the heatsink holder.

does "led backlit matte screen" mean its bright as shit and going to hurt my eyes? because I had to return a previous laptop for that reason and all the ones I want to get say that

My mouse disappears whenever i play any game in full screen, what do

Not exactly, it depends on the panel.
Old shitty ones do that, new ones dont but they look grainy instead.

Yeah. it's doing like a static sound, and it fucked me up at first because I did the old "open google switch to another tab" thing. I HATE websites that autoplay with sound, Why fucking news sites think they can get away with that shit is beyond me.

There's the screw, the flat metal thing is connected to the heatsink, and then the cylinder on the bottom is connected to the PCB. It's kinda like those barrel legos, there's a narrow part on the bottom of it where it connects to the PCB. On the one that's not connected to the PCB any more it's because of that bottom part. I assume whatever adhesive was used broke, I can't get under the PCB without disassembling it more than I know how to.

It should but its not a good idea at all.
You should also repaste it because once you remove the heatsink fan once the paste is useless.

Someone is using my number and I'm receiving multiple OTP messages. I received like 30 OTP's from 6 different places within the span of 5 minutes.What can I do?

It's a laptop so I don't need to repaste it, maybe it's not a heatsink and I'm just calling it one. It's the copper bars that lay on top of the CPU and go to the fan. Should I go to a hardware store and see if I can get some epoxy? Would that work better than super glue?

someones probably fucking with you, i'd switch numbers if i were you

What has the screw threads in it? If you can get the screw or a bolt through the hole and all the pieces it's supposed to go through, you can either get it in some semblance of the original screw threads or a nut (or put the bolt in the other way up).

The barrel piece doesn't need to be mounted to anything if it doesn't contain the threads that hold the screw down. It can just exist between the PCB and heatsink, held in place by the screw.

If it does have the threads and is supposed to be stuck to the PCB or something under it, you need to find some other way to hold the heatsink down to the PCB, and my suggestion would be a nut-and-bolt setup.

Unfortunately it's the barrel that has the threads, it doesn't go down to the PCB. If adhesive won't do the trick then I guess I'm going to have to find a good way to bolt it down.

That's a nice lolibutt

Is LTSB 2016 really more stable and better than the new Win 10 updates (Creators update or whatever it's called)?
Has anyone used both?

Yes, by a lot.
Usually anything enterprise grade is better than the consumer grade even after years.

What am I missing by not having those updates?

Cortana, ads, and store shit only, the only thing useful is the updated task manager.
LTSC (LTSB 2018-2019) is supposed to come out soon.
LTSB gets only Security and Emergency updates.

You also miss things like Paint3D and the updated Photos app that can now do Windows Movie Maker things.

how can I tell if my ISP is throttling my bandwith

This comes up when I use Open VPN for Android to connect through Mullvad.

Phone is Huawei. Android version is 6.0.

Whoever recommended me QTTabBar yesterday, thank you very much.

I use explorer a shitload for work and this thing has every feature imaginable, let alone what I originally asked for.

No idea how it works so well on W10 with it's last version being released in 2015(?)

bump

Is there a way to set file-specific settings without writing `autocmd FileType tex ...` every time like I did?

i have 20 music cd's i want to rip the mp3 audio files from, what's the easiest to use program to do this?

Chromium shares many developers as Chrome since they are the same. One is just as open source as the other due to the Chrome being a fork of Chromium. In the end they both have the "botnet" which at this point you already the part off by using the internet.

If you want to lack general UI bug fixes, like some of the start menu not working or not being able to pick a custom windows color. Go on ahead. Yet there is still telemetry sent to MS. Unless you manage to block every MS IP via router.

Is there a dark theme for qtox messages?

How do I stop programs from running on start up? Msconfig doesnt work, fucking CCleaner and Skype keep coming back after a while, Windows 7.

What are the better torrent clients on Windows atm?

I've tried Deluge, qBittorrent and Tixati over the years. Settled on qBittorrent for now since the UI is more familiar.

I've long stopped using the old versions of uTorrent without all the advert junk.

how do I switch my nat type to a type 1 or 2 on a frontier router? every guide I see online have different looking frontier menus than mine