/dg/ - Debian General

In /dg/, we discuss about the Debian GNU/Linux operating system.

debian.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian
unixstickers.com/tshirts-and-hoodies/t-shirts/the-ultimate-debian-tshirt
deb.debian.org/debian
security.debian.org/debian-security/
debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-faq/ch-choosing.en.html
gnu.org
b00merang.weebly.com/windows-10.html
metadata.ftp-master.debian.org/changelogs/non-free/i/intel-microcode/intel-microcode_3.20180108.1 really20171117.1_changelog
security-tracker.debian.org/tracker/CVE-2017-5754
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Why don't more people use the net installer? Are they just noobs?

what's the command to install a .deb and check dependencies?
>apt-get install +??
should I simply move to aplitude? what is the aplitude way to install missing dependencies?
sorry newbie here

You can do
apt install ./prog.deb
Or if you want to use dpkg it's
dpkg -i prog.deb

Oops, ignore my post, didn't read your shit.

Why? What software are you trying to install? It's suggested to only download software from the repos only

wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian

how do you know how many people uses the netinstall iso? it's the "recommended" way, it's right there in the first page.
it's a cool way to install the os but not so good if your internet is slow, it seems faster to just torrent a full xubuntu iso.
also debian4lyfe

I know even from repos I wanted to play with the command like to learn the dependencies
I wanted to install higan
what is the best way to install it without downloading the .deb? I wanted to know the best command line (like one that checks conflicts and dependencies)

>why is the logo like blood in sink
because it's so painful to use

>automatically enables services after install before you can configure them
>ugly fonts
>several different official package management tools that will conflict with each other
>literally thousands of packages with major usability bugs won't get fixed until next stable release
>horrible KDE packaging
>no advanced QEMU features just because packaging them would be complicated
>MPV v0.23
>VLC v2.2.7 built with a buggy Qt5 interface
>MuPDF v1.9 with bad ePub renderring
>FBI recognizes logo as a pedo symbol

what distro do you guys use

still debian

Aww yeah Debian boyz in da house

how bad is my repo game Sup Forums

tl,dr:which branch of Debian/Ubuntu should i use if i want a reasonably stable system with reasonably new packages(decent security would be a bonus)?

Debian stable
>old as fuck packages
>receive security updates
>stable as fuck
is backports useful for getting new softare?

Debian unstable
>bleeding edge packages
>does not receive security updates
>may break catastrophically
is it really that unstable?

Debian testing
>packages are tested and usable
>breakages may take days,weeks,or even months to propagate into the repo
>repo frezzes at some point
best of both worlds or worst of both worlds?

Bonus:Ubuntu
>repo feeezes after release
>has a tendency of breaking stuff
it works most of the time,r-right?

>and what do you use
literary every time

>breakages may take days,weeks,or even months to propagate into the repo
fixes of* breakages may take days,weeks,or even months to propagate into the repo

one thing about ubuntu which i don't see mentioned anywhere is that different versions may or may not work better or worse with your hardware (like 1710 could be crap /and same with debian/ but the lts is ok)

Give me the sources.list for testing, not sure what to use

I hope you put sticky tape over that camera after you took the picture

The perfect distro.

Why would anyone use anything other than Debian or Arch Linux... I don't know.

what command do I use to check dependencies and install something like pacman

Thinking of installing debian on an old laptop, but I just want to confirm the best method of moving to the testing route.
>Install with net install
>change repos in sources list
>perform full upgrade and install packages
Is that about right?

Debian, Gentoo, Arch

One for work, one for memes, one for autism.

the holy trinity

That's right but why not moving up to unstable?

unixstickers.com/tshirts-and-hoodies/t-shirts/the-ultimate-debian-tshirt

cop?

I installed debian about 20 times now. Use netinstall and keep Grub on an external bootloader. Remember to plug into wifi directly. install all the fucking desktop enviroments even though austism tells you otherwise. Install the print server packages too. This will save you from installing Debian 19 other times. Next get your iwlwifi drivers if you are using a thinkpad. Then get neofetch and you're good to go!

Bull fucking shit. Only a retard would do this

You need to be commited

delete system32

How unstable is unstable?

it's pretty stable

Very stable, but one time I updated the nvidia drivers and fucked up everything. I'm too retardo to dive deep into the drivers so I had to reinstall shit.

assuming you're using sudo,
apt-get install && apt-get update
if you're trying to install a .deb file that you have, but not because of apt:
dpkg -i ~/.deb

should do the kernel upgrade
> apt-get update; apt-get upgrade

i don't understand your gimmick, you're treating your stacked WM like a tiled one, like you're ignoring the qualities of stacked but you're too lazy to install a tiled WM.
unironically install manjaro, it would suit you.
distros aren't without their charms. just pick the flavor that suits you. except ubuntu. don't use ubuntu. i personally main arch and gentoo.
apt-get update
although i doubt you're touched an arch-based system in your lifetime.
solid plan, although i recommend going full "hard mode" and going for unstable.
if you've installed it that amount of times and learned nothing about bloatware you need to install gentoo. seriously.
try it out

> assuming you're using sudo
no sudo in command

top kek

what's the nicest way to update bssid/wpa-psk from command line? the obvious way (using wpa_passphrase and editing the textfile in /etc/networking/interfaces.d/asdf) is too much work. i'm frekkin lazy

Debian is the best distro

debian a good

Why don't more people use debootstrap? Are they just noobs?

you too

based

what i.put in source.list?

Debian pros
>it's so boring, it just works

Debian cons
>it's so boring, it just works

Honestly, Debian is so stable, so install, configure once and forget that it's so boring that I sometimes consider switching to Arch or something
But then I remember that dealing with random breakage and fixing bugs is a distraction and a false sense of progress
So I stick with Debian
Which granted, if you are like me it could push you over the edge and just make me kill myself
>t. 35 year old virgin

>is backports useful for getting new softare?
Yes
In Stretch backports there is newer Mate if you are into that
In Stretch backports there is newest LibreOffice 6
I'm using Stable and got the latest LibreOffice, cool, and shit's stable
There are many more things in backports
Debian Stable + backports is the patrician choice to be quite honest

is this correct for debian 9 minimal?

deb deb.debian.org/debian stretch main contrib non-free deb-src deb.debian.org/debian stretch main contrib non-free deb deb.debian.org/debian stretch-updates main contrib non-free deb-src deb.debian.org/debian stretch-updates main contrib non-free deb security.debian.org/debian-security/ stretch/updates main contrib non-free deb-src security.debian.org/debian-security/ stretch/updates main contrib non-free

I am too retarded to use linux but I like this pic.

Either user Debian Stable or Debian Unstable
Debian Stable offers legendary stability, security and piece of mind, with the "cost" of using slightly older software
Which isn't a problem because Debian users are connoisseurs and can compile the latest versions of software easily
Debian Unstable is also good it has the latest packages, slight breakage but nothing a patrician Debian user couldn't solve
Also, since everything comes at Unstable first it means Debian Unstable has excellent security

Debian Testing is the worst of both worlds in my opinion
Less Stable than Stable, not as up to date as Unstable, less secure by both
Testing is not a rolling release, it's a testing release and it has no security policy
In my opinion it's best to avoid testing and go straight to Sid/Unstable

>cprogramming a modern approach
upload pdf

>fuckmyeyesmono.pcf

you're not too retarded to use linux user. have you seen the people here who use linux? ffs even i use it lmao

>contrib
>non-free
that's not how you use debian

Is it that inferior to arch linux like everybody says?

So I've done an install of debian unstable before and replaced systemd with sysvinit and apt was telling me that I had broken packages when I tried to install wine, does someone know what I can do about this?

More GNU+Linux threads please so the shill threads drown in them!

why ?

>contrib non-free
don't talk to me or my daughter ever again

But the base drivers for nvidia are shit.
Don't talk to me or my wife's daughter(son) ever again

I'm having an issue with OBS. Window capture doesn't work after updating and I need it to run my stream server. Does anyone know how to fix this? I'm not sure if it's because of pic related.

>Debian testing
Where did that meme come from? Non-critical security updates end up in testing after a normal period of migration delay from SID, just like all other updates do. Critical security updates are pushed manually by Debian Security Team. Also: it's not like anyone's going to use testing on a production server, and it's not like anyone's desktop machine is going to get 0-dayed so it's a literal non-issue.

And yes, testing is the best choice for a desktop. Unstable is called unstable because it's actually _expected_ to be unstable and there's no reason for you to use it unless you're a Debian developer, package maintainer or a gigantic autist.

debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-faq/ch-choosing.en.html

>Testing has more up-to-date software than Stable, and it breaks less often than Unstable. But when it breaks, it might take a long time for things to get rectified. Sometimes this could be days and it could be months at times. It also does not have permanent security support.

> Sometimes, a package might not be installable through package management tools. Sometimes, a package might not be available at all, maybe it was (temporarily) removed due to bugs or unmet dependencies. Sometimes, a package installs but does not behave in the proper way.

> The bug fixes and improvements introduced in the unstable distribution trickle down to testing after a certain number of days. Let's say this threshold is 5 days. The packages in unstable go into testing only when there are no RC-bugs reported against them. If there is a RC-bug filed against a package in unstable, it will not go into testing after the 5 days.

Testing is just packages from unstable automatically migrated by bug tracking bots. Debian is completely useless outside of stable with extra self built packages.

gnu.org

>excelent security
meltdown and spectre patch to linux kernel still havent reach sid...

>Unstable and Testing can sometimes break
Duh, that's why they're called Unstable and Testing, respectively.

>The bug fixes and improvements introduced in the unstable distribution trickle down to testing after a certain number of days
That's what I said.

>Testing is just packages from unstable automatically migrated by bug tracking bots
Which makes it the perfect middle ground between stability and cutting edge.

>Debian is completely useless outside of stable
On production machines, yes. On desktops it's no different than any major rolling release distro, except they're actually upfront about the fact that shit can break.

>debian
>packaging compiz without gtk3 metacity support
>BUT also providing only gtk3 version of metacity
WHAT IS THE FUCK? are maintainers this fucking retarded? (compiz has patches for gtk3 metacity upstream)

automatically migrated when no bugs are filed against it, that doesn't sound like a bad thing to me, with unstable you get tons of churn for packages that might be 5 days newer

Yeah, I find it a bit disappointing it's taking so long, but than again, it's not a trivial task.

I wish debian supported locally installing packages and permissions similar to android.

ok

it's not really "inferior"
I'd say debian is actually better in most ways. The biggest reason people use arch is for the AUR and how easy it makes installing anything.
Debian doesn't really have anything similar to that.

>is backports useful for getting new softare?
yes, and quite useful
>best of both worlds or worst of both worlds?
kinda, the only problem with testing is that some packages, I am looking at you virtualbox, might appear and disappear within a day.
You generally get a stabler ubuntu with 5 times more packages.
>it works most of the time,r-right?
if ubuntu doesn't work the first time, it will never work properly

Seems to me debian is lazy about security

Chill mate i was just trying to trigger some retards here
I know nothing about Linux a friend whos really good in Linux told me that arch is very Customizeable so i want to try it on a new machine because thats one of the biggest facts i dont like about windows

>Chill mate
I think I gave a pretty chill response to you
as for your situation, arch isn't any more or less customizable than other distros. The only reason people assume this is because it doesn't come preinstalled with a DE or WM, so you can build it up to look however you want from scratch. That being said, you can make every single distro look like anything.

>That being said, you can make every single distro look like anything.
b00merang.weebly.com/windows-10.html

You could also do a debian netinst and only select system utilities and it would be very similar.

My question is, how exactly am I supposed to boot into i3, or x11 for that matter if I install the underlying CLI without the default gnome package?

I spent about 10 minutes trying to figure it out, sort of concluding that I have other priorities. I will switch if there's a relatively quick fix of course.

switching to Arch because Debian's packaging is annoying and maintainers who aren't on the security team all seem to be retarded

Hey lads, I installed debian netinst only with standard system utilities and want to install mate minimal desktop now.
I need to install xorg and x11 before this?
apt install mate-desktop-environment-core

>Want to ditch windows for linux
>all this retarded bullshit to wade through before you even start
>the communities are all cancer and fucking hate your guts for asking questions
>factions everywhere in every aspect of the system

Why would I even bother. It all seems like garbage that I don't want to deal with.

Why people use Debian? Are they just autists?

xorg first

It's worth it just for Quantum in the repos.

But after all this time the meltdown fix still have not hit unstable

>metadata.ftp-master.debian.org/changelogs/non-free/i/intel-microcode/intel-microcode_3.20180108.1 really20171117.1_changelog

>using intel microcode

This is false. Why do you lie?
security-tracker.debian.org/tracker/CVE-2017-5754

How different from Ubuntu is debian? I might wanna switch, only problem is i like the aesthetics of Zorin Os , and way to emulate that on Debian?

>Inb4 bullis
I wanna learn, not be scared off

>4.14.13-1
How to enable this update then? I'm on sid and I only see 4.14.0-3 as the highest
The only 4.14.13-1 comes from a package called linux-libc-dev which I think is not the kernel itself but for development.

its called "ricing"
look it up

Yeah, I'd like to know that, too.

install gentoo
ok but why mate
to answer your questions in order:
>debian is based on ubuntu, but the latter literally promotes data mining. also, tails is based on debian due to how secure debian can be. the same for kali.
>i would suggest installing arch instead of debian in this case. it is much easier to rice arch than debian, and if you install KDE and tinker with it a bit (aka "ricing") you can make it look like anything you want. try your hand at conky and polybar. i ended up learning lua in the process.

Thanks user. I was waiting to install learn about linux when I built my pc. But given gpu prices I might put it off for alittle while.

>software so old and altered to such extreme degrees that current release documentation can't be used
>provides worse documentation than most other distros
i should've installed gentoo

>debian is based on ubuntu
what

See how the guy didn't came back? He knows he's full of shit. After 3 months Debian still has no kernel with the meltdown patch on unstable

Bad way to learn. Use a virtual machine, and you learn about VMs while being able to conveniently compare distros and run as many as you like.

Debian today is for servers and building other distros, not the usual "run bleeding edge packages to say you do on the internet". You will want to churn through several distros as you learn, and every sperg spergs about their favorite distro which makes them special bois. Sup Forums users don't need Debian on their gaymertoi machines so if you want help I suggest the rest of the internet and save Sup Forums for shitposting. I didn't use Sup Forums when I learned Linux. There's nothing here you actually need but entertainment and memes.

Run your Windows host on bare metal for gaymes, then play with Linux in VMs. Study how to network Linux instead of rice it and learn what it's actually useful for, as you can network VMs to each other. Linux knowledge might get you a job since normies are afraid of it.