Linux Music Players

Needing some advice on music players for Linux. Running Antergos. Installed a few, and so far the only viable option is Audacious, but it is missing some creature comforts that I got with foobar. Most importantly, I want one that will support some sort of convolver, since I have impulse waveforms for all of my cans. I am using a Schiit stack to play everything. Anyone have any recommended players?

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/wwmm/pulseeffects
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Clementine I guess

deadbeef

>Acid
Yeah boiiiiiii.

I use Clementine on all OSs because it's pretty much all I need.
Sadly it's missing an autosync feature for my media library - Mediamonkey takes care of that perfectly, however.

cmus
mocp
deadbeef
qmmp
audacious
clementine

qmmp is fkn awesome

This or Cmus for "just werk" cli player.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

gmusicbrowser

>Linux finally got to the level of Windows 95 with a Winamp rip off.

Linux is a kernel, brainlet.

VLC is definately and so is Music Bee although I'm not positive if it's on linux as I've been using AIMP for my basc needs

It's indeed a fork of a fork of a ripoff of a clone (XMMS) of Winamp.

I didn't say it wasn't, retard.

So it got like this Winamp->XMMS->clone->clone->clone->op's pic

>an egg is a better fruit than an apple
>I didn't say an egg is a fruit

Shut the fuck up cunt

>Being this retarded
Are you a masochist?
Do you enjoy being called retarded perhaps?

Oh man. I wish media monkey would release a Linux version. It's honesty the best I've ever used

Cmus + drop down terminal is really good.

It's actually a lot simpler than that. It's still XMMS all the way down.

Foobar on WINE

God damn linux is useless

cd and mpv

Mopidy/mpd + ncmpcppcpcpcppc

I run foobar2k on wine, its perfect.

Linux is a kernel. If you're running Antergos you're running the GNU system (a free operating system, like Unix, developed for using a computer in freedom) with Linux, the kernel, added.

I run Musicbee 2.5 on WINE, it's perfect

>Shilling this abomination that should have been aborted immediately after conception.
Terrible.

this.

/thread

You got him good, fucker!
t. brainlet

This

Well you can throw silly insults to user as you want, it doesn't mean you're right.

Actually, you're dumber than this user. You can't understand how data is supposed to make you grasp the reality if you stay on a computer.

mpd, but good luck on setting up this server.

And I still have no fucking clue of how file permissions are supposed to behave, I'd gladly accept any help.

I run Windows Media Player on wine, it's perfect.

>And I still have no fucking clue of how file permissions are supposed to behave
What exactly do you want to know?
This probably belong into or though.

You are a fag. Congratulations.

Why 2.5 and not 3.1?

>tfw clementine looks exactly as the program it was designed in

The rest of userland components is for the most part completely irrelevant to the question of running an audio player on top of the Linux kernel (given it is compiled with support for ALSA and the sound hardware present).
cmus as an example only requires a standard C library, a library implementing the curses terminal interface, and decoding libraries for any audio format you wish, which makes it run even on operating systems like macOS (using the coreaudio output plugin) or Microsoft Windows (using the waveout output plugin and pdcurses as a wrapper around the Win32 terminal API) where traditionally few or no GNU components are available. This also applies to Linux systems; OP's choice of Linux distribution merely predeterminates which software is readily available.
OP searches for an audio player for Linux, not necessarily GNU/Linux.

Why do Juk and Amarok suck shit? Why can't QT have a decent player?

Because 3.1 is not as stable on wine. Namely "open in file explorer" does not work in Musicbee 3.1, as well as scrobbeling. And in addition, I like the layout of musicbee 2.5 more.

Thank you.

A question I have is why am I supposed to care about file permissions when I can chmod 777 any external storage, to begin with? Does chmod rely on a central authority (GNU/Linux)? Or am I asking the wrong question?

So far, a folder needs to be executable and readable to be read by a given target (user, group, root, other), am I correct?

If I'm running mpd as a system service, does it mean it's run as root? How does it affect a given player (ncmpcpp, FTR)'s accessibility?

Should I ask this in either or ?

Same. My one and only complaint is that you can't change the font to match your host system font but that's really not a big deal. There is just nothing out there that looks as good in my book.

And I have tried every player in existence

>A question I have is why am I supposed to care about file permissions when I can chmod 777 any external storage, to begin with?
It's not supposed to keep others from accessing files on different machines. It can prevent other users on your machine from accessing your personal files or the webserve user from accessing your ssh keys.

>Does chmod rely on a central authority (GNU/Linux)?
It relies on the list of users and groups of your local machine.

>So far, a folder needs to be executable and readable to be read by a given target (user, group, root, other), am I correct?
If a folder is executable for you, you can traverse it, i.e. access its subfolders. It it is readable for you, you can list its contents. root can do anything regardless of any set permissions.

>If I'm running mpd as a system service, does it mean it's run as root?
Not neccessarily. Systemd units can define the user and group they are run as. Just check the .service file for mpd.

>How does it affect a given player (ncmpcpp, FTR)'s accessibility?
The player can obviously only access the files that the user it runs under can access.

>Should I ask this in either or ?
Might be a good idea if this explanation wasn't enough for you.

Is there anything out there with a parametric EQ?

Quod libet, just werks

THIS

Works great. Switched years ago and never got troubled by some shithead coder's opinionated program again. In fact FB2K works even BETTER on linux than on windows because of all the fun you can do with filesystems behind the scenes.

Global shortcuts are not supported great on XFCE, so you have to do some hacking around it by using the interface to run FB2K commands from CLI.

quodlibet is the best

cmus, it takes like a minute or so to fuck around with settings (especially if you use ALSA instead of PukeAudio) and to learn the keyboard shortcuts but after that you'll have a pretty gomfy terminal window playing all of your music

This. Quod Libet is easily the best kept secret of Linux players.

Parametric EQ should probably handled at the OS level. I haven't tested this yet, but I've been reading good things about it:
>github.com/wwmm/pulseeffects

How do you make mpv a decent music player?

>Just installed jack to try and use eq10q
fuck

It plays audio files. What else do you want?

lik dis?
dunno why you would want that

This is really nice. Are there any gtk themes like this?

EQ10Q looks pretty good, too. Just try it, and stick with it if you like it. It's a more mature project than the one I linked.

This. Best one out there, surprised more of the Sup Forums doesn't know it.

1)mpv + a frontend
2)audacious
3)sayonara

For the record you can get scrobbling to work but you need a specific package for it to work because of some bullshit that Linux doesn't use anymore I guess. Irritating stuff. I have it written down somewhere if anybody is interested.