/hpg/ - Headphone General

How to request purchase advice: pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Headphone guide: canpicker.com/

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=g79wV5JVrnc
youtube.com/watch?v=zgDSzlKpzW4
youtube.com/watch?v=rXy1fZj_4BI
youtube.com/watch?v=OY04fTctl7A
audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-and-measurements-of-schiit-sys-passive-pre-amp-switcher.2335/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

why is stax the best headphone company?

That's a funny way to spell Sennheiser.

stop crying you dynamicuck

Idol trash here. I need to update this pic with msr7.
What's your setup like, user?
Nah, that's idol trash. Idol trash's the absolute worst humanity has to offer.

>Idol trash's the absolute worst humanity has to offer.
that's so hot. now post programming socks like a good submissive

>chink shit
>best anything

You're funny.

*Superior Nipponese technology

I bet you also think the modi 2 outperforms the topping. pathetic

This.

Soy boys detected.

projection

I'm getting my preamp this week. Yay!

Ooh, scary

Is the ATH-M40X uncomfortable? I need a closed headphone for work.

Not even two weeks after I get them replaced. I hadn't even had the time to ship the old ones back yet.

FUCKING END MY LIFE

Note to self. Never touch fostex again.

>filename
you larping bro?

Sup Forums x randomizing filenames. Good luck finding that picture when I just fucking took it. Here's onewith my bird, while I fucking fix this myself.

Luckily the right one broke the first time and the left one broke this time

did you drop it again? also jesus christ i'm tired of signs. stop asking me to click signs. I have to click 5-6 rounds everytime I want to post

My dog fucking pulled the cord while they were on the stand. Fell of my desk.

Cant replace the ear pieces unless i want to desolder the cord. Which I don't feel like doing right now.

Going to get a refund if possible and hold both headphones hostage. If I can't get a refund, I'm taking these apart, Resoldering some removal cable mods, welding the other broken pieces back together, and selling them with removal cables at a profit or keep both.

This is fucking rediculous

stop dropping your expensive headphones

Commies like you should be banished permanently to Mexico.

As I told you the last time you posted about this, it sucks to be you, since you failed to do adequate research before buying headphones. Had you done adequate research you'd have discovered that's a well-documented design flaw going back to the Denon AHD2000 days.

>embracing the free market of choices makes you a commie
hoooo booi. real nice mental gymnastics you've got there. maybe americans should try to compete instead of shoveling snake oil

New pic. Umi a best. A best!!
Yay!
Btw, do you like hamburger?
youtube.com/watch?v=g79wV5JVrnc

I can't tell if you've dusted or just lowered the lights to avoid having to clean. regardless, where are your qt feet? one of these days I'll get you to do it

Reminder that Stax products have seen extensive use in neurological studies involving hearing. Most Stax products are non-magnetic and can be worn in an MRI scanner.

It's all nice and clean. Like my heart.

So I got a pair of HD600s and I'm actually very pleased, I feel it does everything well so far. Now I don't game but I sometimes listen to ambient music, which is a genre that abuses the stereo image a lot so it kind of feels too "in your face" for this genre and I'm curious to know how a wider soundstage could enhance it.

What's a good sidegrade that achieves a wider soundstage? I was looking at the K712 or the X2s since they also provide a bit more bass as a plus (I sometimes get overwhelmed by the bass on my DT770 though so I don't want Dr Dre bass). Any better choice in the price range?

Examples:
youtube.com/watch?v=zgDSzlKpzW4
youtube.com/watch?v=rXy1fZj_4BI
youtube.com/watch?v=OY04fTctl7A

Congrats on getting the best headphones in the world.
Look for binaural recordings @ youtube.

BS2B or dolby headphone (the FIRs can be found online and used in a convolver)

See if you can get some MA900 used, otherwise the hifiman HE4XX has wider soundstage, but beware the sharper treble and chifiman build. The second has the benefit of bass which responds very well to EQ.

I hear the HD800 have riced "detail retrieval" treble and soundstage.

I wanna lick her feet.

kek

Schiit is American, that's more than enough reason to support them instead of funneling your money away to the chinks. I swear you libtards keep getting dumber and dumber.

Sounds interesting, I'm not sure if these things can be fixed by software but I'll give it a try.

I've heard good things about the HE4* but I didn't know about the soundstage. I'll look around for those as well. Thanks.

>I swear you libtards keep getting dumber and dumber.
supporting an america only purchasing habit means you are protectionist and nationalist. it has nothing to do with leftism or whether you are a free market supporter. protectionism is anti free market. I mean not as much as liberals are, sure

I want to look EXACTLY like that

pics of feet

HD600 is so good it can cuck the Tuck.

Indeed.

I'll post feet the day I get my L300LE

do you promise? i'll join you :)

now you're getting it

i'm looking for headphones that will sit comfortably on my long ass head for hours at a time. every google search leads to headphones for wide heads. my ears are also somewhat large.

>Budget
>Source
desktop
>Type of headphone
full-sized
>Open or closed
closed (i'll consider open if suggested)
>Comfort level
extra comfort
>Sound signature
extra bass or flat
>Past headphones
ATH-M40x & 4.40BT (both uncomfortable past 1-2 hours)

I don't care what people say but I'm a big fan of how the HD800 looks.

>I don't care what people say
reddit spacing

>knows well how redditors post

Back to r/headphones with you.

reddit spacing

Autism.

yes, this is Sup Forums. you'll get the hang of it.. eventually

Who's this qt?

Open for comfort.
HD6xx from massdrop.

I haven't kept up with headphones for a long time. Years back my cheep ass finally broke down and spent $100 on some Sennheiser HD280 Pros. Haven't looked back. Still going strong. Wearing them as I type this now. Great headphones, last forever, replaceable, uhh, almost everything.

You should get the new version, the HD820

I'd be pissed if my expensive headphones broke so easily. Mine have survived years. Been dropped, thrown, stepped on, lived through years of my asshole children, and sound great.

k712 or k7xx?

I might someday, but desu, these still impress me every time I use them. Hard justifying an upgrade when these have been amazing and tanked everything that's been done to them. Of everything I've bought in my life, this is one of the things that's earned it's value the most.

why are you telling him to get something 4x the cost of a used hd800 and won't perform as well because it's closed but somehow still basslite trash. kys

Just looked them up, haha. Those definitely aren't the successors to the HD280 Pro. Those are the crazy high end rich person price range things. The HD280 Pro is the kinda sorta a little expensive, but insane value for money range.

Please tell me that more Ohms is better is a meme and I should get 32 Ohms Beyers

is there any point to getting an amp for sennheiser 650?

Yes

How's 600's build quality and comfort compared to 598?

how much would i need to spend for it and at what price is it just paying for the brand?

hello qt user. yes, i very much like hamburger :3

Buy an O2

Which manufacturer?

Build feels more durable. It's known for being so, and it has been around for a while so we'd know if it wasn't.
Comfort-wise, the HD600 is skull-drilling when new, but after a few weeks of use, it turned even more comfortable than the HD598.
Sound-wise... the HD598 sound like shit when I put them on these days. I still do it once in a while for nostalgia reasons, but the HD600 are even better than the hype around them.

Noticed the chips box says "LOVE LIVE" ;)

>Noticed the chips box
>chips box
>chips
they are fucking fries. this is an american website

>audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-and-measurements-of-schiit-sys-passive-pre-amp-switcher.2335/
>For $49, the Schiit Sys is a bargain. I know I can't build and sell it as cheaply to you. :) Measurements are fine. Nothing jumps out out of ordinary. If you need a passive volume control with dual inputs, I recommend this product.
:D

I've been using my HD 598's for 5 years already and my main complaint is the clamping force, it became so weak that the headphones fall off when I look down. The replacement headband is out of stock and out of production, is there anything I could do?

Get something that's not made out of snapheiser plastic. If a Beyerdynamic loosens you can just bend the metal headband back into clamping.

It is impossible to fuck up something that simple.

AKG K702 for $165
Yes or no?

yes

owo, what's in the box ?

K612 are more balanced

k612 don't have a detachable cable and are super low sensitivity, which are plus points for the 702. other than that you're right

I'm looking for a new source and so far I'm looking at
1) jot
2) ifi idsd black label (portable big+++)
3) best audio gd around $500
What should I go with? Leaning towards the ifi black label.
Main headphones are he-5, dt880, er4sr, gr07.
Thanks!

Is this acceptable channel matching for $180 headphones?

Schiit products (especially "higher-end" ones) should be avoided.
I don't know the iFi, but Audio-gd is fine if you stay in the NFB11/R2R11, other products lack even reviews so I wouldn't bother.
If you want portable, you might want to take a look at the O2/ODAC, it's honestly not that far off the iFi you mentioned in size and also costs 1/3rd of the price for similar performance.
All of those would also power your headphones to ear-rape/driver-damage levels, so you should be good to go.

i need help deciding,
Burson Audio soloist Mk1 or Lake People RS 02

I heard about the bifrost thing but I read nothing but good about the jot. Is there something wrong with it?
I like the ifi because its like a swiss army knife it can do everything.
I'll check out the o2, didn't know it was portable thanks.

hpg is the worst general on this board
thanks for your attention

It is. I'll still keep visiting it though

correct

im currently using a scarlett 18i20 to drive my HD598

im thinking of getting the HD650, but im wondering if getting a dedicated DAC would help out or not, i only ever used studio equipment

Just saw the HE4XX. Opinions? My personal use case would be mostly gaming

How does HD598 compare to HD558? I have the latter but everyone else seems to have the former

K702 or K712?

It's mostly about Schiit not being good performers recently. Their quality check, build quality has degraded and their products get proven worse and worse each time they get measured by non-sponsored persons.
The Jotunheim is also quite expensive for the DAC modules in it and the amp's power doesn't really matter compared to cheaper alternatives.
Audio-gd's units like the NFB11.28 are built with much higher quality components for cheaper.
iFi also doesn't have too bad press out here, besides the quite expensive pricetag their units are quite good. But if you want portable, I think this price difference with the O2/ODAC is too much for what it has.
Decent entry "planar" with everything but the sound signature of planars. Quite huge treble spike. I'd suggest something from the K70x series of AKG. HD6XX also comes to mind.
Same drivers, only the enclosure and some damping change if I remember correctly. They sound very similar.
K702 is prefered for its more neutral signature.

The thing you'd benefit from would be a dedicated amp, not really a DAC. Usually audio interfaces have very good DAC (Behringer UMC204HD comes to mind), but the headphones output usually isn't the best.
Add a cheap amp like the O2 and you'll be future-proof.

This board doesn't have many useful generals to begin with. Mechanical keyboards? I can type 125wpm on a cheap membrane, these things are more vanity than utility. A thinkpad general? You people really need help deciding what laptops of a very specific brand you should buy?
Portable music player general? is it still 2001 and smartphones have yet to come out?

thanks for the reply, i just checked a focusrite page , they say USB interfaces with dedicated AC power from the wall (which mine has) can drive north of 250 Ohm

Would you still recommend a dedicated amp? the O2 you mentioned is reasonably priced

I'd suggest trying out the output of your Scarlett before buying anything. If you feel like it drives your headphones fine without noise then you'd probably don't have much use out of an amp.
O2 is always a good option if you feel like trying an amp later down the road, but not particularly needed.