/pcbg/ PC Building General

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and _monitor_ suggestions; click on the blue title to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g
>How to install Win7 on Ryzen
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

If you want help:
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs:
>NO i5 7500/7600K or i7 7700/K. THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY COFFEE LAKE
>R3 2200G - Budget builds with or without a GPU
>R5 1600 / i5 8400 - Great gaming (especially the i5 8400) or multithreaded use CPUs (especially the R5 1600)
>R7 / Used Xeon / Threadripper - Heavy Multi-Tasking / VM Work / Mixed use

RAM:
>Current CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000-3200 MHz is ideal
>Before buying RAM for Ryzen, check your Mobo's QVL or look for user reports

Graphics cards:
>Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up (particularly Radeon)
1080p
>MSRP of standard 1080p cards: 1050Ti, 140USD; 1060 3GB, $200; 1060 6GB, $230; RX 570 4GB, $170; RX 580 4GB, $200
>GTX 1070 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
1440p
>GTX 1070/Ti and 1080 are standard choices; currently overpriced
>GTX 1080Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
2160p (4K)
>GTX 1080Ti

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 240GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor

Previous

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/Qx9PxG
fr.pcpartpicker.com/list/txMp9J
fr.pcpartpicker.com/list/NtrhP3
imgur.com/yyDsobZ
imgur.com/LiGK2rD
techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_1080_Ti_Gaming_X_Trio/26.html
youtube.com/watch?v=kgNmMai0gtc
pcpartpicker.com/list/w4yRsZ
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Am I better off SLIing two 1080tis or just getting a single TitanXP? Is SLI a dead meme now? Help, I'm paralyzed by indecision.

any good horizontal ITX case?

1080 Ti for gaming.
Titan for workstation.

So SLI isn't dead?! Or am I still just better off gaming with SLI'd 1080tis?

>pcpartpicker.com/list/Qx9PxG
Am I memeing myself coming from what I have now?
Any recommendations or changes?

since youre handicapped let me make it clear
get the sli 1080ti you fucking retard

upgrade gpu later in the year, when prices have come back down. wait until end of this year/into next year to see what zen 2 and cannonlake bring to the table, unless you need the extra cpu power for streaming or rendering or editing or whatever, in which case that's a solid upgrade path.

Where did you get the notion that SLI is dead?

And you are better off with 1080 Ti for gaming even if you want a single card. Titan X isn't objectively better - there are some games in which the Ti beats the X.

Shit articles, I guess. Also here on Sup Forums, but I should know better than to listen to people on here.

some games have very good SLI support while others dont
considering its a 1080 Ti it shouldnt really be a problem
if you want to spent even more money you could do Titan XP SLI

4690k is perfectly fine even for something like 1070. You'll get less fps on 1600 in vidyas, it'll be better only in something like rendering or video editing.

Everything has good SLI support as long as it is 2-way SLI. Anything 3-way and above needs explicit support from the developer.

Also, Titan XPP SLI wouldn't make any difference unless you are gaming in 8K where you need a large memory buffer.

>You'll get less fps on 1600 in vidyas
actual lie, ryzen 5 > haswell i5 in gayming, that being said its still not worth the upgrade

I thought I heard some games have issues with it even in 2 way SLI where 1 card will be used 100% while the other is barely used

also wouldn't the XPPs have better overall performance
although now that I look at the specifics I didn't realize there was so little difference in CUDA cores

It only better in something heavy like bf1 multiplayer. Majority of games will run worse on ryzen than on OC 4690k, especially on high fps since if worse than bingbus for pushing drawcalls. Hell, i got less fps in some games when i switched from 3570 to 1600, but, holy shit, it's so smooth.

My Logitech G402 middle click is not working when I click on it, but it works when I scroll. How do I fix this? Does rubbing alcohol work.

Also I have a cheapo huge mouse pad, is there any difference if I upgrade it to a proper one.

Also what's a good mouse nowadays for FPS stuff? Is the Logitech g403 any good.

Open it up and clean out all the crap inside.

the spring may have stopped working
similar to when you primary mouse buttons stop registering

two scenarios then, if I were to instead get a 1700, would it then become worth an upgrade? and on the flipside, if I were to keep the i5, swapping to DDR4-2800 (16GB) would provide some improvement? (was dumb and purchased DDR3-1866 8GB when I built this thing initially)

Yo fags want to build a desktop for light gaming with the Ryzen 2400G, is mining possible with this?

>if I were to instead get a 1700, would it then become worth an upgrade
What are your usecase? If it's stricty singleplayer vidyas, then it's not worth it. If it's mixed usage with programming/rendering/video editing and so on it's worth it, even 1600 will worth it.
>swapping to DDR4-2800
How are you planning to install ddr4 sticks into ddr3 slots?

whelp, got me, should've read my current mobo's packaging for info before commenting.
Anyway, streaming and multiplayer vidya is what I'll be doing.

What should I upgrade first on this PC?

I can't play BF4 on medium without my FPS dipping below 50 at many times, but on most other games I still get ~55-60 on high settings.

>streaming
Then ryzen worth it. 1700 is offering better streaming performance while gaming than 7700k.

with current gpu and ram prices you're kinda fucked either way. id hold out a little longer and then see if gpu prices come down, and if they do then upgrade to like a 1070 or 1080, if they dont and you really really want to upgrade either wait for zen 2 or go ahead and upgrade to like an 8400

Is the i5-4460 starting to bottleneck? I think CPU intensive games are starting to bottleneck it. What would be a good upgrade for it though, I was looking at the R5 1600.

Yeah I would hold on to the 970, it still serves me well anyway.

anyone? help me to save space in the office, I recently got switched to the DevOps department and I gotta test a shitload of stuff on my local machine in a bunch of VMs with java and node.js inside, both notorious for their very low memory consumption - which means that my t440p with 16Gb is not enough anymore

Long story short, this is my build fr.pcpartpicker.com/list/txMp9J but I wanted to get a good-looking and silent horizontal case to put on the desk that doesn't make me look like a gaymen manchild.

The case looks kinda neat, but
> gaymen leds
and also, according to the reviews it's kinda hard to manage the cables in it.

any decent alternatives?

ehh maybe if they support more than 4 cores, your 1% lows are probably a bit lower than modern amd and intel. i personally would go 1600, but if you dont mind possibly having to change motherboard and cpu again for something like cannonlake or having to upgrade mobo again in the future sooner than 2020 then intel will be slightly better in games, especially if you dont overclock
tl;dr
1600 if you want to be able to drop another cpu in in 2 years and be done, and dont mind oc, 8400 and h series if you dont want oc and dont mind upgrading everything again in a few years

could look at fractal node series
there are a lot of professional looking itx tower cases, why so set on horizontal?

Alright then, looks like all I can do is wait now.

I'm probably gonna change everything about the system, RAM, GPU, CPU, and keep the rest same. Probably gonna wait until prices are the best.

Give me one example on what could possibly happen for RAM and GPU prices to go down to their initial level.

yeah. its a really bad time for people coming from ddr3 systems and 900 series hardware, because of mining and memory prices

>Single-Channel DDR3
Get another DDR3-stick, or just move one of your sticks if you have two 4-gig ones.

Crypto get BTFO by govs and chinks start producing RAM in bulks in new gov foundries.

So, probably never.

because I got 2 monitors mounted on an arm on my desk, and there's, like, ~30cm of space right underneath. It's like having one missing lego piece - visually speaking it would be a perfect fit.

fr.pcpartpicker.com/list/NtrhP3 for instance, this might look better

Anyone able to help with this?
Yes I know mixing Rams is bad etc, but this does it with the 2x4gb sticks over channel 2 even if nothing's in channel 1. If the 8gb is put into channel 2, it won't boot

imgur.com/yyDsobZ
imgur.com/LiGK2rD

I have a confession to make. I've dropped my cpu into the socket pins in my first build ever and ruined the board. The CPU was much smaller and heavier than I expected and my hands was shaky. I bought a new mobo instead of trying to fix the pins because Im a pussy.

I dont tell anybody this irl.

a stupid question from me
should i use latex gloves (like the one doctors use) while assembling my PC ?

If you are catholic.

if you used anything it would be nitrile gloves and they aren't needed

for you
with my luck and autism i will fry motherboard the very second i touch it that's why i am afraid

get an anti-static wrist strap
don't do it in socks if you are on carpet
not really that much too it

thanks user

SLI/Crossfire is a dead meme and is more hassle than it's worth. Save yourself the pain and get the single strongest card you can afford.

I'm looking to build an R5 2400G system.I can get a good deal on some DDR4 3200 RAM, but it has higher timings than 3000 RAM so would it be better to get the 3000 RAM (2933) considering that the Ryzen will clock the faster RAM down?

ryzen prefers bandwidth over latency until around 3466. id go with the 3200
also why 2400g over 2200??

But the R5 only supports 2933 DDR4 right? I don't even ('._.)

Just enable XMP in the BIOS.

im looking at building a ryzen system. use will be video editing mainly, as well as main pc, ill be doing some light gaming. going to bring my 290 over.
ill need to use a number of pcie devices with this system though and i want to be sure that the configuration i want will work. ill be using 2 video cards, the 290 and a 1030 (host gpu, 290 is passthrough), a tv tuner (pcie 2.0 x1), a sfp+ card (pcie 2.0 x8), and then a pcie ssd, not m.2 (pcie 3.0 x4)
Will this work with the lanes and layouts on ryzen?

thats the max supported by the cpu standard or stock. you can definitely use the higher speed ram as long as the imc can drive it. just enable xmp in bios
just as an example the max supported mem speed for a r5 1600 is 2666 but almost everyone runs ram above that

Ok cool the MB I'm eyeing supports 3200, looking forward to muh cheap and quiet tv game computer. :3

MSI mobos, yes or no?

That's less embarrassing than being a fucking weeb.

You can't game on 4K with any single card.

1080ti is enough for 4k in most titles. sli is a waste of money since not every game supports it and even if they do the performance gains are not worth it. gtx 2080 should be out in april, maybe it's a good idea to wait until then.

>1080ti is enough for 4k in most titles
Nope. Only the highly optimized titles like GTA V will run above 60 FPS in 4K on a 1080 Ti.

>sli is a waste of money since not every game supports it
Actually, NVIDIA itself supports 2-way SLIs. It's only a problem if you go 3-way or 4-way SLIs.

>even if they do the performance gains are not worth it
I don't think the person doing SLI 1080 Ti is looking for any bang-for-buck whatsoever.

>Nope. Only the highly optimized titles like GTA V will run above 60 FPS in 4K on a 1080 Ti.
techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_1080_Ti_Gaming_X_Trio/26.html
out of 20 games tested only watch dogs 2 and dishonored 2 struggled to maintain ~60 fps. and why would you need more on 4k? it's not like you're going for 120hz.

Depends entirely on what games you play and your frame rate expectations.

I have 655 games on steam and probably only 4 or 5 wont run maxed out in 4k on my GTX 1080 with mild overclocks at a reasonable frame rate ~60fps

I keep seeing people taking benchmark results from the top 10 most graphically demanding games on the market and saying 4k isn't doable, when they're not even slightly representative of peoples game libraries.

GTX1080 is practically very capable and certainly the Ti's or Titans are fine. Maybe there will be a couple of games a year you can't utterly max out and you'll need to drop a few settings down to remain in 4k, it's not something there's any value in taking a hard line stance.

Those are only average framerates. It can sometime drop below 50 fps in most titles. Stuttering is annoying af.

But then again, nobody buys a 1080 Ti to play Dota 2.

youtube.com/watch?v=kgNmMai0gtc

I don't get it why shouldn't I just lock my framerate instead of getting Free/G-sync if tearing was a concern?

Sup Forumsentlemen, I need some advice regarding B350 motherboards. The AB350M-HDV is currently the best deal locally for me, since I don't plan on using sli, watercooling or wifi. Should I go for it, is there any other benefit from buying a more expensive B350 motherboard?

Don't go AssCock lots of people have problem with it.

>source: my ass
better than 30s boot times with msi mobos

Recent MSI mobo can boost very fast with fastboot enabled. Anyway go Asus for your peace of mind.

>30s
:(

How do I check if my ram is running at full capacity and how do I make faster if it isn't?

can you list any problems asrock boards have, along with the board in question? if its "bad/cheap components", can you post something, even reviews, that show this?
everyone keeps saying this but doesnt post any kind of evidence or even WHAT is bad/wrong about asrock boards.
and please dont explode and start posting memes and insults, its not a personal attack. im asking for the thread so this shit can be put to rest

download some monitoring software to check. cpu-z/speccy are pretty basic and will show you ram speeds.
you overclock the ram to make it faster.

I have speccy, but I don't know what I'm really looking for. It's DDR4 3200mhz, but speccy says 1064mhz. Is that just because it isn't under heavy load or something? Do I just overclock it from the bios? There was supposed to be an update that sorted out the ram speed, but it doesn't seem like I have it when I installed the others.

Why the fuck are the 2200/2400G STILL not on pc part picker

Adding Amazon as a custom part only pulls the price not the picture/name.

In your BIOS.

DDR = Double Data Rate. you multiply the speed by 2. your ram is running at 2133mhz (it should show you 1600mhz because 1600*2=3200), which is the default. try to enable XMP profile in bios settings.

>Why the fuck are the 2200/2400G STILL not on pc part picker
Make your own website if you don't like how a private website operates.

but it was briefly on there yesterday

it's literally coming and going

ok first off, how much ram do you have and how many sticks is it? are you running in dual channel? it sounds like it. when in dual channel, you multiply what speccy/software shows you by 2. so 1064*2= 2128mhz
in speccy, click on the "RAM" tab on the left. i highlighted what you are looking for. pic related shows 2 sticks of 3200mhz ram running in dual channel mode at 3200mhz

Thanks dudes. I looked in the bios yesterday, but everything ram related was greyed out. Does enabling XMP solve this?

Just 2x4gb and yeah it's in dual channel. In the memory tab it's dual channel and 1064mhz. I have to ask everything now before I try anything though because my secondary computer is fucked so I can't keep checking the thread.

>2200/2400G STILL not on pc part picker
You'd have to speak to intel about that.

Pretty much nobody buys a video card to play any one individual game. If you're dropping money on a discreet video card then you're probably a gamer with a reasonably substantial game library and what matters is aggregate performance across that library.

Looking at a handful of the most demanding games which are the ones always selected for performance bench marking, is not representative of that. But I see this advice being given out all the time in the tech sphere, X card can only run >60fps in 4k in maybe 5 of the top 10 most demanding games so it's not suitable for 4k...which is an insane statement to me as a gamer who plays in 4k with a GTX1080

If there's only maybe 5 games it can't run in 4k all that means is that it's fine for the other 650 games I own, or in other words it's fine for 99.23% of my games.

The crazy high end AAA games used for benchmarking are picked to specifically stress the cards in testing, you lose all perspective if you rely on them solely to decide whether a card is ready for 4k

just go into your bios and try turning XMP on like the other dude said. see what your ram speed is after that

The old school way is to boot into your BIOS which controls the CPU/RAM settings and it will be listed there, generally along with controls to alter the speed, depending on your motherboard.

Now a days you can tweak that stuff from software inside windows but I'd generally not recommend it.

CPUz is a good reporting tool for this stuff if you want read only values, don't use speccy it's not great with detection of hardware in my experience, it frequently has problems with RAM speed/timings and things like vRAM, it's had a bug for years that just wont report on vRAM correctly., too unreliable.

>everything ram related was greyed out
What do you mean?

>If you're dropping money on a discreet video card then you're probably a gamer with a reasonably substantial game library
What if someone just wants to play top AAA titles exclusively?

I'll try that and come back.

Thanks senpai, I'm still not even sure what I should be changing things too. I don't know if it's ram/mobo specific alterations that need made or if it's just universal. I'll boot into the bios though and have a look.

It's just the name and speed etc. It's listed, but it doesn't let me alter anything on it. Thought that was last night and XMP isn't/wasn't turned on so I'm going to have a look at that.

about the greyed out options, see if theres some kinda button or option for an "advanced view" or something like that. i remember my old AM3 BIOS had two displays for the BIOS; a simple one with a lot of shit disabled, and an advanced view with everything enabled to tweak.

As people have said there's a setting in BIOS for enabling XMP which stands for Extreme Memory Profile, made by intel, and it's a technology designed to run the RAM faster than the speeds that are typically required by the CPU.

With that enabledm, one of a couple of things might happen depending on your motherboards behaviour. After another reboot it may detect the native speed of the RAM you've installed and set the profile at that speed. Or it might just remain the same and you'll have to tweak that value in BIOS, usually you'll get a drop down menu that has the various different standard (OC) speeds and you can pick the right one.

It's good to know how to do this in BIOS in case your motherboard fails to POST or windows becomes unstable and you have to revert settings to something more stable.

I'd recommend you have your motherboard manual handy and refer to it about BIOS changes for XMP and memory speeds and just in case it does fail to POST and you can't get back to the BIOS you'll need instructions for resetting the default BIOS settings which is easy to do and will be listed in the manual as well.

If you don't have the manual, download it from the manufacturer's website and print out at least the BIOS reset instructions or write them down.

XMP and memory speeds are normally very safe to change these days but technically it still is overclocking and nothing is guaranteed.

You're right, it was in the advanced view, I was just being a brainlet. Do I just need to change it from auto to DDR4 3200 or do I need to fuck about with voltages and things too?

try auto first and see how it works out. you start tweaking if it doesnt reach a speed you are happy with

oops, i meant change it to 3200mhz, if thats what your ram is rated at. leave the voltage and everything else on auto for now.

>Or it might just remain the same and you'll have to tweak that value in BIOS, usually you'll get a drop down menu that has the various different standard (OC) speeds and you can pick the right one

Yeah it just stayed the same, there is a drop down menu though for altering so I'll change it to what it should be at and see how it works. Thanks for the rest though, I have my manual just in case things go pear shaped too.

Thanks, I'll give that a try and see if it works out.

You have a couple of options. Either accept slightly lower frame rates, I'll put up with say 45-50fps in PUBG and do just fine, it's one of the few games I regularly play that the 1080 won't handle well.

Or just drop a few settings down, what you'll find is that you can do something like disable subtle but expensive effects like SSAO and the frame rate will be fine. It's kind of subjective so I'll leave this as my opinion, but the fidelity increase of the overall scene in 4k vs say 1080p, but where 1080p can run "ultra" and 4k is maybe "high" instead, normally the 4k wins hands down.

PUBG I can run in all Ultra at 1080p but lower a few settings and 4k is doable, and it looks way better in 4k with a few things sacrificed.

But just keep in mind, I don't disagree with the facts, you can't max every game in 4k with a 1080, that's for sure. But looking specifically at just the games used for bench marking because they're so demanding, that's really an edge case.

It didn't work, it just failed to boot twice and took me into safe mode ;_; thanks for the help guys, but I guess I'll just leave it for now and come back to it at another time.

you can try a lower speed than 3200mhz, like 3000mhz. or you can try 3200mhz again, but this time with a bit more voltage.
thats normal for things to crash and not boot, overclocking is basically a whole lot of trial and error.

update your bios to the newest version and try again. if that doesn't work set the speed and voltage manually

I got 2tb hdd
it changes to red when it has less than 180 gb free
what does this mean? is it recommended to not go red or is it fine to dl more stuff? 180 gb is a lot of space

Don't mess with voltages until you're a bit more experienced. It wont need changing if the memory is rated for that OC speed. But if you want to push it further you might need to.

OCing RAM past its rated speed is generally not worth it IMO.

Yeah just pick the rated amount. Back in the day memory speeds were quite low and you ran into memory bottlenecks especially when overclocking your CPU and so people would push RAM past what it's rated which meant tinkering with voltage as well.

But these days you can just buy grossly over spec'd RAM that's rated for those speeds so it's better to just buy the speed you want rather than run it faster than rated.

Unless you're OCing your CPU as well, running faster RAM gives really bad returns anyway. You'll not likely notice a difference in real world performance. It'll be a lot more obvious if you're OCing your CPU though, with stock speeds eventually the CPU reaches a point where it's memory starved and then the extra speed really helps.

>mfw Poozen people always complain about not getting their expensive RAM to full speed
>Their CPUs performance depends alot on RAM speed
>Mfw everything just werk on my Intel with godtier MC and RAM speed isn't even a significant factor for us

Just a friendly reminder that getting a refurbished office PC with a 3rd or 4th gen i5(i7 if you get a lucky find) and 8-16gbs of ram is the absolute best deal poorfags can get right now.

All you gotta do is throw in a low profile 1050ti.

Avoid Asrock, the Pro4 in particular (check reviews, everyone has the same issues)
I'd go with this, I'm swapping the MSI GPU because some people complain that the lack of a backplate makes it sag.
pcpartpicker.com/list/w4yRsZ