Is 4gb of RAM enough these days?

is 4gb of RAM enough these days?

Yes

/thread

Do you want to play minecraft with many, many mods?
If yes, then no.

Minecraft will make your 4GB into it's bitch.

Mine's at an 2.1 average in the last 24 hours

Android uses RAM differently to other operating systems. It caches and retains as many apps in RAM as it can so it's faster to relaunch apps.
When and if you need some of the RAM currently used by inactive apps, then the OS uses garbage collection (not unlike the Java virtual machine) to free RAM.
So yes, in phones 4 GB and even 3 GB is enough.

Sorry, this board is for people 18 years old and up

Which is my point.
You don't need more than 4GB of memory if you're over 18.

Maybe not on one device, but you need more for total./

> even
when did we get so spoiled

I have 1 GB.

ITT: poorfags

I'm completely comfortable with 4 on Linux.

If your phone need RAM more than a PC to run and do basic task, consider dropping that shit.

I've got 4gb on pc and it does get up into the high 80th percentile when I'm running all my fapping programs. The main thing that slows me down is fucking disk usage. It easily reaches 100% and stays there when I do some things. I definitely need a laptop with an SSD next time.

> next time

For shitposting on Sup Forums: no, you don't
For most IT related jobs: yes, you do

Nah

>gb on pc and it does get up into the high 80th percentile when I'm running all my fapping programs. The main thing that slows me down is fucking disk usage.

your disk usage is high because you have so little RAM. 3GB on mobile, 8GB ram on laptops and 16GB on desktop is now what the majority of people require.

I have 4 and there's friction. Krita will crash when working on large images. Some github stuff I have has build/test processes that exhaust almost all of it too.

It's high because when I torrent or my antivirus software updates, it needs to write a lot of shit to the disk.

On a phone, yes, even 3 is enough. On PC only if you have a dedicated GPU. 6GB is optimal for computers/laptops for the majority.

>majority of people require
You're projecting. I never needed more than 8GB of RAM even while gaming. Under heavy desktop use I never reach 6GB. 8GB is more than enough for PCs/laptops and will be more than enough for a long time.
Gamers, developers and media makers are not a majority.

16 GB RAM is absolute minimum these days. If you have less then you are a ramlet, enjoy waiting a bajillion years for your computer to do anything.
Not even really memeing.

XD

What fucking job you do on your phone?

>4gb
More than enough. It's a luxury.

4G is minimul vital, just for the basic uses
8G is standard
16G is confort, except if you have virtuals machines, then it's standard
32G is too much except if you have virtual machines
64G total overkill

Not at all especially if you multi-task. What many people fail to realize is RAM is not just taken up my apps (50-400MB) but by the cache they generate to avoid having to reload content which can vary up to 1 GB.

4GB is more than enough unless you're one of those fags with a bloated DE

adding to this: if you play gaymes especially 3D ones, system RAM is used as vRAM as there is literally no dedicated vRAM on phones.

webm related is a great example of this. The apple A11 curb stomps the snapdragon 835 but in real world use it performs badly when people use more than 2-3 apps at a time since RAM is overloaded and iOS must work hard to maintain system stability to avoid freezes and crashes.

8GB is probably ideal for those who heavily multi-task.

>For most IT related jobs: yes, you do
I stay around 1 GB used when I do webdev, and I would be fine with 2 GB for pretty much anything. If you need that much cache to make things work a little bit faster, go for it.
Anything more than 4 GB has little use besides virtual machines.

Even 2GB is enough, I don't see why 4 shouldn't be. Stop using bloated stock ROM.

I work with media production software, so not for me.

2gb of RAM on phones is fine
3gb is very good
Now 4gb? Why the fuck you want that? Not even the most "techy" fag needs 4gbs, waste of money

>I never needed more than 8GB of RAM even while gaming. Under heavy desktop use I never reach 6GB
Clearly you don't have any "heavy use". You might only have one screen, and you might close tabs because you need to, you may not multitask while gaming, but you are just a low end user. The majority of people don't use PCs anymore.

2GB means apps close often. 3GB means you can use your phone without a lot of apps closing. 4Gb means apps load once after you reboot only.

The same goes for PC pretty much, only you need more ram. RAMlets spend time closing tabs and programs while people with jobs enjoy a much faster PC while never having to close and open shit.

4GB is enough for VMs. Just use winxp guests, they run absolutely fine with as little as 100MB RAM.

I do only have one screen normally. I rarely connect my second screen but even when I do while gaming + having a browser and messenger in background 8GB is enough.

Who said anything about phones?

For server administration I'm using over 12GB on average. Got a fuckton of Microsoft stuff that needs a windows vm to manage and the tools for it consume a ton more ram.

For just phones: yea, still using a Nexus 5X with no plans to switch.

>Who said anything about phones?
OP

What phone are using?

the best phone has 3

My laptop caches 1.92gb right away.

Guy is shaking like an alcoholic on Monday morning.

You can get buy with 2GB on android anything less is unusable

NO
IF you use a 64-bit system you are gonna have a bad time

On a phone? Yes.
On a desktop? Probably not.

Is that jellybean?

This is in relation to phones

obv a burner.

on a phone? yeah that's fine. probably a bit too much actually

It's good enough for most tasks, although I'd reccomend 8gb.

The only reason I'd say 4gb isn't enough is because modern web browsers (and web pages) are bloated pieces of shit.

I still can't stop thinking of widow's peak balding when I see that notch

It all comes down to what you're going to do with your computer. The Raspberry Pi is usable with just 1GB of RAM.

Obviously if you're a gamer, a media production artist or a 3D CGI creator then it's not going to be enough, even 8GB of RAM is stretching it close, and if you're using something as hungry as After Effects then even that may not be enough.

it doesnt not matter you faggot 64 bit address you faggot 8 gb is equivalent to 4 gb in 32

It's enough for my laptop.

You don't know what you talking about
I have 2gb RAM and my phone is fast as fuck
Now, if you are a normie and you don't know how to admin your phone, you will get it slow as fuck
Besides, come one, no one on Sup Forums actually use phones for "working"...

2GB is enough, 1GB probably as well.

on a phone? 1 gig is enough

One gig? More like 3. I'm always around 2 and the extra gig is handy. So 3 is good.

Not with PAE, which Linux supports

This
Autists are saying u need 16 gigs minimum, when 4 gigs is usable

>honestly i didn't think it was, but I've been using an i3 4gb Surface Pro3 as main pc for almost 2yrs and it really is enough if not gaymen extensively.

I'm on 1gb and it runs fine, even when using emulators.
Don't know what the fuck you're running on your phones that you end up needing 4gb, probably like a dozen botnets.