Why hasn't the Mexican military tried to overthrow the government before...

Why hasn't the Mexican military tried to overthrow the government before? Pretty much every other Latin American country has had at least one military dictator over the last century. Why not Mexico?

Other urls found in this thread:

miamiherald.com/news/local/news-columns-blogs/andres-oppenheimer/article100705372.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>what is the mexican revolution

And you also put a dictator in charge. Victoriano Huerta.

Because it's complicated
Believe me when I tell you that the military ain't happy with president Nieto but it's illegal for them to overthrow the government also with the millions of coups we had during 19th century they ain't happening again, also the military is brutal they have shown no mercy for the sicarios they capture
So I imagine a military dictatorship is something I don't want
There are peaceful ways

They did

After the revolution everyone was tired of civil wars and coups.

Mexico is a civilized, developed and democratic nation going for success. There's no reason to overthrow the government

Nice sarcasm there, Sven. But in reality we just don't want more deaths.

>Mexico is a civilized, developed and democratic nation

>sarcasm

the only nations to have a greater GDP per capita growth in the last 40 years are China and ex-soviet countries

They're as incompetent as the government, if thy don't botch the coup, the aftermath won't be any better and will probably just be worse

>all that custom engraving and gold plating
>it's on a Chinese AK with a welded hi cap and dust cover that looks like it's been run over several times

Gets me. Every time.

>but it's illegal for them to overthrow the government
It's the same everywhere else.

The Mexican military is more competent than most of the Mexican government IRL. They've been extremely effective at removing narcos and cleaning up crime where they've been deployed but the Mexican government doesn't really let them work openly often as leftists get upset and many of the corrupt politicians are actually working with drug traffickers. It wouldn't really make sense for a governor to authorize the military to take down his own source of income.

Yes, and this is the reason the PRI (as PNR back then) was founded for, to provide an institutional causeway for all the caudillos. Saturnino Cedillo was the last general to atempt a coup during Cardenismo but it never really went beyond a threat and he was forced to resign, ever since the military leadership was pahsed out (Avila Camacho being the last member of the armed forces to become president of Mexico) and the armed force's leadership was strongly indoctirnated into loyalty towards the president as a matter of national interst. The last time the specter of a military government materialized was during the democratic transition in the 2000s, we do know threats from Príistas wer a large part of the reason Fox backed out from dismantling PRI and establishing a truth comision. As it turned out it was one of the worst mistakes in the country's history, as leaving the regime aparatus in place (unions, bureaucracy, monopolies, etc.) was one of the reasons for out of control rampant corruption. We don't know if ultimately the armed forces would have sided with Príistas, but the reality is at least some generals must have privately expressed support for the oposition to take the threat seriously. Today I'd argue the threat of a military coup is non existent although some scenarios, particularly if Peje ever does actually get elected, in which it could become a factor again.

Maybe that particular gun had sentimental value, these works are usually comisioned.

Makes a lot of sense actually.

I thought the military was slanted more towards supporting the PAN in recent years? Or do they just specifically dislike Nieto?

>that feel AMLO is gonna win
>be me voting and making friends and family vote for AMLO
>December 2018, AMLO takes protest
>Military bombs parliament, kills everyone, coup is a success
>purge of AMLO supporters and democracy insures
>mfw I'm being thrown off a helicopter in the ocean.

anons I don't want to die by the hands of oaxacan savage right-wing army :(

>inb4 chairo

Chairo

>but it's illegal for them to overthrow the government

Dude what

Historically they were hardcore Príistas, obviously things changed with PAN in power for 12 years but the institution is nationalistic by definition, meaning a stronger attachment to the revolutionary ethos.

There's enough educated people in leadership positions they understand armed forces cannot police their own population and probably resent the corruption and bad press they've been exposed to because of federal government policy, on the other hand you'll always have hawks and their budget, the armed forces are one of the most neglected state institutions, largely relies on their usefulness to any given administration.I'm sure positions are alot more nuanced than just party lines.

If Peje finally does win we'll have Trump and dumb fuck tea partiers to thank for that.
miamiherald.com/news/local/news-columns-blogs/andres-oppenheimer/article100705372.html

>Oaxaca
>Right wing

wat?

they were ruled by the PRI for a century dude, I wouldnt have prefered that.

The army from the south are the most savage of Mexico, literally how can you not know this? the killed a bunch of commies in the 80s a la Pinochet not to mention the 43 commies of late they are retarded indio cannon fodder chimps who literally do whatever they are told, the idle soldier really.

>the killed a bunch of commies in the 80s a la Pinochet

Considering how violent the militant leftists in places like Guerrero behave, I'm pretty okay with that.

Nigger, in 3rd world there are more reasons to overthrow governments than to sleep with a gun under your pillow.

it was done once and again and again and again and again, and the last time it happened 1 million people died.

It hasn't and it will never work.

Fuck you.

Quick, get in the helicopter. No time to explain.

I'm still waiting for the military to overthrow the government in the states. The more people that die and fear running rampant in the streets the better. Freedom isn't free it and costs blood.