We've written a shitty twm, and a crippled terminal emulator...

>we've written a shitty twm, and a crippled terminal emulator, both of which require editing header files and recompiling for mere configuration
>now we have the right to tell you what is harmful and what isn't

>C
>X11
>emulating capabilities of terminals from 80s as primary user interface
it's like poetry
also
>zero compression media formats
you can't make this shit up

>it's harmful and overcomplicated to implement scrollback in a terminal emulator so just install a fucking terminal multiplexer to do it lmao

Suckless is meant to be a satire, guys.

dwm is cool!! *giggles*

they are nice for a raspi with needed desktop

>we've written a shitty twm
that could be anything
>, and a crippled terminal emulator,
that could be anything
>both of which require editing header files and recompiling for mere configuration
[the virgin scripting mess vs the chad software architecture]

see like most WMs it makes fun of aspergos

>tfw I use st
>tfw I have infinite scrollback with Alt+PgUp/Alt+PgDwn
>tfw all I had to do is edit the config and recompile with the savedconfig USE flag
feelsgoodman

Post wallpaper desu

>I dont understand the merits of something and I struggle with figuring it out so I'm going to call it stupid instead.

>I dont understand the merits of something and I struggle with figuring it out so I'm going to call it bloat instead.

>require editing header files and recompiling for mere configuration
I actually think this is a good idea, at least for smaller (like 1 c file) programs, where config file parsing would just complicate everything. And certainly better than some config hovering around in some dir that has absolutely nothing to do with the actual program. I still hate that about LUnix OSes.

Works fine though.

There's a scrollback patch you'd knew about if you actually bothered to check it.

>config file parsing would just complicate everything.
I'll be honest, my jaw dropped seeing this. Parsing configs is not hard nor complex

what I dislike is random and sometimes nonstandard format for config files

>wants to waste cpu cycles with configs

tell us about your accomplishments then

You either have to write custom parser (lex+yacc, yacc, bison etc., OpenBSD base is comfy example) or include some dependency for JSON/YAML/TOML/whatever serialization. One adds quite a lot code (for suckless tools it could be the same size as rest of the software) or dependency because C doesn't have (de)serialization in base.

>wasting context switches with reading configs
ftfy

>using yacc to build a parser for config files

A family.

It's best seen that way, but I'm convinced they unironically mean what they say.

why not? it's a standard POSIX tool

> using a compiler to obtain machine code
are you serious?

The only suckless tool I use is dmenu.

Sup Forums btfo

This. dmenu is GOAT.

Definitely not BLOAT.

Kek

I use rofi

>zero compression media formats
Use xz if you want compression, newbie.

>We've written a shitty twm
You mean best.
>And a crippled terminal emulator
I'll admit, the no scrollback thing is fucking bullshit, but the patch works pretty well
>Both of which require editing header files
Filled with comments and good variable names which helps tell you what to edit and what to leave alone.
>And recompiling for mere configuration
It literally takes 1 second and a software restart.

kek

>The default terminal for dwm is st. Be default, st uses Mod1+Ctrl+C for copy, but dwm uses this same key combination to kill a program. You should change this shortcut in either dwm or st such that st is not killed when attempting to copy text.

How will suckless ever recover?

still 25% bigger than suboptimal png, at least it's really simple format

>using lex, yacc. bison etc. at all
ftfy

that should make you wary

>using standardised, well-defined, stable, massively-available tools originally designed by active computer scientists should make you wary

the absolute state of suckmost
I mean holy shit you have to be retarded to use one compression algo for all kinds of data

>posix
>standards implying quality
kek

>There's a scrollback
>I'll admit, the no scrollback thing is fucking bullshit, but the patch works pretty well
patch you'd knew about if you actually bothered to check it.
What are they waiting for to merge it? Nobody wants a terminal emulator without scrollback and I think they're masturbating too much about the line of code as a measure of high quality software.
Just merge that shit in.

kek

Unix-way == leftist hippie degeneracy. I'm glad that Linux is throwing
>giving a shit about CPU cycles in 2018
>not writing all your software with monads and immutable data structures
Typical poor unixcuck

>writing in C
Typical degenerate unixcuck

Still is better than Java...

>recompiling to make simple config changes
>merits

Choose one

No, but nonstandardized and shit is worse than standardized and shit. Better the devil you know.

Clojure > Elixir > Scala > Golang > pajeet tier imperative trash from 20th century.

Common Lisp >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Clojure

Fuck JVM.

Spotted pajeet that are writing (((imperative))) single-threaded trash in useless obsolete language in the year of 2018.

>JVM is bad because java is bad
Literally how to spot a pajeet code monkey.

Soldering iron >Assembly>C>C++>Java>poo>loo>other stuff

>assembly
>c
>2018
OK, pajeet

No, I am not a pajeet, I am slav. It is different things. We don't poo in street, we have toilets.

And C is superior. Truly "full control" of computer

Most pajeet code monkeys are writing java, retard.

>JVM is bad because java is bad

>I wish my WM did this
>Oh I can just edit one of these few files and it works
vs, say, i3
>I wish my WM did this
>Guess i need to learn this shitty scripting language nobody uses and fight with the insanely overcomplicated hierarchy of its loading structure

Cлeйвянcкий бeлый нeгp выeбывaeтcя нa дocкe бeлых гocпoд лoл.

No, the JVM is bad because muh managed language overhead, a shaky legal base if you want to do anything interesting with the VM itself rather than just run code on it (c.f. oracle vs google).

Motherfucking Node on V8 is faster.

Cлaвянин я тoлькo пo пacпopтy. Booбщe кaкoгo хyя вaм нa двaчaх нe cидитcя?

>giving a shit about overhead in 2018 while there are cpu's with shitload of horse power

Кoнeчнo тoлькo пo пacпopтy. **ЭЭЭЭ Я TOЖE БEЛЫЙ БЛЯTЬ**. Бaйтoeбcкaя эмбeддeд мapтышкa paбoтaющaя зa 25к pyблeй дeлaя гoвнo для MК.

>Кoнeчнo тoлькo пo пacпopтy
Hy дa, тaки тoлькo пo пacпopтy. He apиeц, хyли мнe этo cкpывaть-тo.
>Бaйтoeбcкaя эмбeддeд мapтышкa paбoтaющaя зa 25к pyблeй дeлaя гoвнo для MК.
25к? Cepьeзнo? Этo жe пиздeц.

>pretending battery life isn't an issue in a world where desktops are becoming minority players

Hy ты ж paбoтaeшь зa 25к
>not doing all heavy computations in fog/cloud

>implying that's realistic for most users on client software

>overhead for the sake of overhead
Did you write patches for Intel?

I only hear this argument from programmers. As a non-programmer, i3's config is what I would call "plain text", and I don't want to have to edit a C file when I don't know C. Maybe I can understand enough to change some things, but if I have to add anything new, I'm screwed.

What youre doing is probably closer to changing a config value here or there than customizing or adding functionality then. So that makes sense, but also illustrates my point.
Suckless is suckless. Its philosophy is put the entire thing into just a few basic C files and let the end user go nuts, and you get incredibly flexible lightweight and custom programs.
If you want a click and run just use KDE

>click and run
>i3
You are making huge jumps here. I get it. You feel strongly about these Suckless philosophies, but you are coming off as rather unpleasant.

i3 is a click and run (tap and run?) twm. Its an out of the box no frills WM that completely sacrificies customization and extensibility to do that. And thats fine. Not everybody wants to build their own custom WM off a simple base and Im not implying they should.
Some people want to use Mint and some people will build using LFS. Both have their place, but requiring configuration doesnt make LFS "bad".

>you're coming off as unpleasant
Dude smell my farts

There are internet anywhere in first world countries. And no one is giving a shit about you third world shithole, Rajesh.

>No, I am not a pajeet, I am slav. It is different things. We don't poo in street,
> we have toilets.
and yet you shit in the streets
slavs are the niggers of europe.

full suckless is comfy. dwm/dmenu/st are all great
>recompiling
how often do you change your config? I haven't since I set it up with the patches I want
>no scrollback in st
I think it's a dumb choice to not include it by default but again, there's a patch

>What are they waiting for to merge it? Nobody wants a terminal emulator without scrollback and I think they're masturbating too much about the line of code as a measure of high quality software.
>Just merge that shit in.
Why are you so fucking butthurt? Some people actually do use terminal multiplexer like tmux or screen for every single terminal session. Why create a feature that for many will be redundant?
Merging that patch takes a single fucking git command you autist.

>C
>full control
nice larping