Convince me to use a language other than C. pro tip: you can't

convince me to use a language other than C. pro tip: you can't

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/dlang/dmd
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Ok you're a lost cause then

I can't. Serious software should be written in C and designed properly.
I'm only going to try and convince you to pick up an additional language for quicker prototyping, not python though, python is dogshit.

Enjoy your buffer overflows.

I don't understand how people read python. indent scoping is just cancer

What do you recommend instead of Python?

if you're something other than a brainlet you can enjoy haskell with inline C, the best of two worlds

Python 3.

I know other languages, like C++ and java. C just feels right, nothing better than getting your hands dirty

I've never looked into haskell, what is it good for?

Feeling superior.

D
Includes bindings for the C standard library and compatibility with most of C++ libraries, enhancing them with easier memory management (gc/no gc) and flexibility of paradigm (oop with templates done properly, lambda support, etc)

Why not++?

the opposite of getting your hands dirty, managing the most abstract high level concepts with little effort (known in math as elegance)

Haskell is nice for backend parsing, concurrency and such. And the language itself is a thing of beauty.
However Haskell ecosystem and library management are total crap, ironically.

>doesn't know how to do bounds checking

Nobody knows apparently, because it just keeps happening...

What makes haskell so hard to learn? Is it just functional language in general, or is it just haskell? Everyone seems intimidated by it, I for one, want to learn it as my first functional language(well, besides Racket).

Eh...OOP in the right hands is a beautiful thing. Problem is 90% of devs can't truly grasp it and produce ugly shit. Or they religiously stick to "muh patterns" as learned in some book, applying them every where and to everything whether it helps or not.

So I guess I would say "Serious software should be written in C or C++ and designed properly."

What do you expect from a field that pushes towards importing a framework to create a hello world program and a web backend to create a fucking text editor.

Need performance, but executable size is not an issue? Use C++.
Want to be able to build a DSL especially suited for your needs? Use Lisp.
Not concerned about performance, and want to get a simple program up and running quickly? Use Python.
Is safety a critical concern? Fuck Rust, Use Ada.
Want to have lots of guarantees from static checks? Any statically typed functional language.

Embedded, limited resources and real time? In that case yes, C is the way to go.
Stop wanking over your favorite language and use the right tool for the right job. They are all shit in some way anyway.

Oh fuck off. There's a massive amount of C out there handling low level and performance critical tasks. Code that gets hammered for security flaws. Code that goes back decades in some cases.

Guess what? Not all of that code is perfect.

And no, it can't all be replaced with your meme language because your meme language literally can't handle the tasks C is often used for. Also: your meme language has security exploits to. Probably a lot more than you imagine.

alright dude sounds like your pretty convinced there is not point in arguing have fun using C
/thread

On top of that, most fags crying that C is "obsolete" use languages written in C...

C compiler is written in C too

I C what you did there.

What the fuck does "writing a language" mean? Are you braindead?

>confusing tenses
Are you ok?

what???

I am pretty new to this, but I thought that only said languages "compilers" were written in C, no the language itself.

Rust isn't written in C.

GNU C compiler is written in C

Wait why do people I know who use C complain about the opposite?

rust is a meme sjw language

it was.
but that user is more likely talking about python, js, etc.

because the people you know are brainlets, bracket scoping is just plain better

Nowhere in that post does he state any derivative of compile. He's refering to interpreted languages.

Could this be considered, the ultimate recursion?

Nope, it was bootstrapped in OCaml.

Most people in this field are SJWs. If you refuse to use shit made by SJWs, you simply won't use anything. The de facto standard C compiler was created by an SJW. Most people on the C standard board are SJWs. Now stop conflating technology and politics.

>agreed
I don't understand why GC is such a problem that it requires autistic languages.

I really wanna know why the ecosystem is crap.
Is it because the language itself or is the implementation?

Seriously please enlighten me.
I have no idea what "writing a language" means.
AFAIK you can write compilers and interpreters in some other languages, not languages themselves.

>bracket scoping
idents are far more aesthetically pleasing than shitbraces

>you can't write language compilers with the language
>gcc
>rustc

Do you understand the concept of a wrapper?

>copy/paste
>code won't compile
>IndentScoping
kys

The D compiler is written in D, retard.
github.com/dlang/dmd

>copy/paste

Who are you? Prakajeesh Radeesh or what?

The rust compiler wasn't always written in rust.

this

why ask the question when you already know the answer

No, they are not.

>Sed

Finish your project in 10 minutes instead of 10 weeks.

If you're not doing shit with databases and json parsing then - no.

You do realize that's literally what I was saying?

>pro tip: you can't
take your Sup Forums vernacular to the appropriate board, kiddo

?????????

Reading this book right now.
Thanks for convincing me.

Underrated post.

asmmasterrace reporting in.
>*looks down condescendingly at c programmers*

not portable

You look up to higher level languages, memester.

tfw C++ plebs still can't have all the cool shit that C99 has

>he's never hla'd

when you dont want object code optimization at the cost of developer time.

some languages are objecyively better than C for some cases. stop being immature

The time comes when a man has gotta do what a man has gotta do and that means dropping the compiler and load up the assembler.

No matter what the compiler authors claim, decade after decade, a compiler can never beat a skilled assembly programmer for raw performance.

>not writing in binary and memorizing every opcode for every machine.

>not manipulating electrical impulses to the CPU and HDD directly with psychokinesis

What if you want to use a hashmap?

C isn't portable either if you do anything past hello world

Between winshit and linux, no. Because winshit is shit. You can take C code and compile it everywhere. You can compile C and run it in earlier versions within the same distro.

>C isn't portable either
I-I don't know what to say, user. That's just wrong.

Try Haskell. It's nice. Use C still. It's also nice.

You implement a fucking hashmap. It's not rocket surgery.
For my thesis I had to look up values in a huge list C. At first I thought linear search was good enough, but I was way off. Next I tried binary search, which was already faster, but still slow. In the end I implemented a hashmap and it was fast.

C isn't for impatient dweebs trying to push out code as fast as possible. C is for real engineers building critical infrastructure. If you don't have the balls to dance with pointers and NULL values then step aside. Real developers have work to do.

Posting on HN to impress all your javascript buddies

> If you don't have the balls to dance with pointers and NULL values then step aside.

it doesn't have a code of conduct which means its the choice programming language of nazis and bigots

you don't want to be a nazi or a bigot, do you?

>pro tip: you can't
Stop saying this. Its Sup Forums tier

It's actually from GamePro magazine

like what?

isn't the gnu compiler written in c++?

C compilers are optimized using functional languages/theorem provers

let that sink in, your own programming language is so outdated you need superior languages just to keep it relevantly fast

>Being this much of an idiot
Gcc has been extended to include C++, Objective-C, Fortran, Ada, and Go. Nice try though.

should I go learn C or C++ right now

doshit(&(mystruct){.field=42});

>should I go learn C or C++ right now
Yes

Explain.

What if you want to do web development tho?

then you're a faggot

so many C threads, what is this shilling

Rust > c (after you wrap your head around the borrower)

Rust has no reason to exist. It's just C, but more retarded.

>please hold my hand, programming is scary

>WUT IS POSIX xDDDD

CGI.