/wt/ Watch Thread

This thread is about the appreciation of dadwatches, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required viewing for new people:
youtu.be/E6WMenS141A [Open]

>Used watch guide:
pastebin.com/4cP1Tpri

>Strap guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

>Watch essentials 102:
pastebin.com/VBAu4Rwi

>Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

europastar.com/news/2037835-helicopter-crash-in-the-antarctic-pilots-located.html
watchotaku.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/swr/pages/1638608/Design and make your own watch
shoppinginjapan.net/sbdx019
youtu.be/ysXF9z8pG1c
twitter.com/AnonBabble

My dad is getting that OP pic, honestly I think it’s one of Breitling’s best looking current models.

>a day date clone

I mean I probably wouldn’t get it for myself but I unironically think it looks better than the original. I don’t mind something being based off another design if it improves it.

first for last real tool watch on earth

europastar.com/news/2037835-helicopter-crash-in-the-antarctic-pilots-located.html

Didn’t Shabazz get one of those recently

DAT STRIPE ON THE WINDYKNOB THO

How can watchlets even compete?

But the finishing is gastly, the underside of the hands are not polished with diamond in swizzerland

Which watch attracts the most chicks?

just like with cars: literally none.
They attract dudes, lesbians and that one in a thousand chick who has some interest in it but is put off by your intensive autism over this topic.

Honest answer. Sunburst blue dials.

F.Shitters

Solid gold Rolex of any model, if you want to attract gold diggers.

the one they recognize as really expensive

Watch side shots
Reposting mine from last thread because thin

thinnnn

this belongs in /fa/ or whatever the homo board is

Says the faggot posting children's cartoons.

>current year
>not accepting your love of cock
I bet you wear a gold g-shock

Wtf is this a special edition of the Sea-Dweller?

Yes, You won’t find one on eBay

>first 25 posts are mostly samefag shitposting
Time to take a thread off

I've dreamed that I had a Rolex. I think I'm going to start buying chinese Rolex

So you won't have a rolex then. Just save up nigga.

>tfw I dreamed I bought a black bay but got upset in my dream because it did not fit my small wrist
Can't even be happy in my dreamz

How is a watch technology related? It's like saying cars are technology related.

wow

Kek, somewhat just like me. But in mine it was a new model, they had a sailor concept, and the wristband was some kind of very expensive elastic band all black with a white stripe in the middle, the watch followed that aesthetic. The problem is that the fucking thing wasn't strong enough, so the fucking thing was always rotating in my wrist.

Cars ARE technology. /wt/ is too high IQ to /fa/, so they come here.

I came

/fa/ is a very low IQ board

They really just fucking nailed the sub didn't they

The point I'm making is that while fire is technically a technology, it doesn't really fit when everything else is about modern technology like computers and electricity

How new are you?

If you don't like it, you're free to fuck off. There's no need to shit up the thread with your autism.

The lugs could be a little meatier, but yea

Time for a shootout; Omega Seamaster 300 vs Seiko SLA017.

>both vintage reissues
>similar design (straight lugs, thin bezel, same side profile, ...)
>similar dimensions (small but tall)

The Seiko has a much more interesting/blingy dial with the applied markers.
The Omega seems to have more refined and cultured looks.

Which one, ppls?

I have some really nice designs for watches in my head. Any of you already tried to create a watch with some third party movement?

Jesus wants me to create a watch company, and it must be named Lucifer. Thanks Jesus, I'm dropping CS now.

I'd get the seiko, to be honest.

Have thought about it but probably would never take the leap.

Interesting read if you want though talking about some companies and manufactures

watchotaku.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/swr/pages/1638608/Design and make your own watch

Omega

I don't even like seiko but that one looks better than the omega.

the dial does at least fuck that case is ugly

Thanks, going to read it.

I think the design of the Omega is much better than the Seiko's.
Talking about the general lines plus the fact that the Seiko has three rows of indicators (bezel, minute track, hour markers) while the Omega only has two.

But I do think the Seiko will be more "interesting" to simply gawk at, with the sunburst bezel and applied polished indices.

This is a tough call as both are remakes of absolutely legendary dive watches but I have to give this one to the seiko

>nice dial and bezel vs nice case
Its a hard choice, preference towards the Seiko for me.

Feel free to say why.

Well in my case I much prefer the Seamaster 300 military with the sword hands and twisted lugs over the OG model. I also like the dial and greater crystal dome of the Seiko.

Doesn't matter because the sla017 is over 5k right now and at that price a ridiculous proposition compared to paying a grand less for an objectively better watch(and a master chronometer).

Well fellas, it finally arrived. The good news is that the watch works, it's clean, and it's keeping relatively good time so far. Right now I'm approaching the 6-hour mark of wearing it, leaving it on a table once in a while in different positions, and moving it with quick changes of force (playing the piano). Essentially, normal wear for me. So far, it's lost a second, and I'm curious to see how it goes over the 24 hour mark. Also, I'm doing a check on the power reserve; it's rated as anywhere past 44 hours, and some have found it to be 50+, but I'm not making any bets. We'll see.

The chronometer runs, though right now there's a strange thing that happens. The center second hand for the chrono stops and jumps in certain sectors of the 60 second round, and this is not consistent at all. Sometimes it's making the 6 beats a second for each second, and then all of a sudden it'll beat maybe twice or three times for a few seconds...then maybe 5 beats...then normal 6...and so forth. At first it was only happening between the 2 and 4 hour markers, but then it started happening elsewhere and the 2-4 was fine.

I've checked it over a few hours, and the chrono is definitely not losing any seconds, so regardless of what is gooping up the gears, it's consistent in terms of definitely keeping time (i.e. my understanding is that it's not skipping any teeth in the gears). But it is definitely something that has me slightly concerned.

It's my first mechanical chronograph, and hopefully the first of many. If any of you have experienced this problem with this watch before, I'd be happy to hear your experiences. Thanks in advance!

When I got mine it had kept time and was still ticking after being in transit for roughly 5 days.

only idiots wear watches, you dingus

Well, mine arrived in subzero temps, and when I opened the box at room temperature, you could see condensation forming on the outside (but thankfully not inside) of the case.

I'm about to go out now, and I'll wear it while I run errands. I'll definitely be back though tonight to discuss it more.

I love the aesthetics, and to get a hold of a calibre like this for this pricepoint (under $300), you almost can't turn it down. If it works, mind you....if it doesn't, servicing would probably cost the price of the watch.

How's yours running? Did you replace the nato strap like I'm planning to (though I'm not sure what colour to go with)? Did you go with the acrylic lens instead of sapphire like I did?

Mine came from Julian at Poljot24, so with a leather strap of my choosing already attached and the factory nato in the box. Yeah I've got the acrylic, I dislike the weird dome the sapphire crystal has. Well give it a wind or a couple and I imagine you have the display caseback?

Can you guys post wrist shots at one point? I am curious about the size.

Turtle

My turtle

nice overhang

hmm?

Yeah, I got mine from watchunique, though I ordered before getting to the end of the unbelievably long thread on wus. It took a week, and I did have to pay customs charges. But it's safe and sound, and the aesthetics are all fine (i.e. no scratches).

It's the acrylic, with display back (and the normal back is included with mine separately as is the option on watchunique). I love the acrylic...as I'm lusting for a Speedmaster, this is kind of a 'practice' watch...manual-wind chronograph with acrylic, around the same size or so.

I don't care for the sapphire on this one either...in order for them to do it, they had to build a kind of half dome metal casing that goes around the face to lift the crystal above the hands...it throws off the proportion of the watch entirely. Plus, I like the vintage look to the acrylic. Everyone says it'll scratch fast, but I'm reasonably careful with my watches, so I'm curious to see what happens.

I'll try later tonight. Sorry, gotta run. It's small though compared with modern watches; 38-39mm. But it's high, so it still has 'presence', if that's something you care about. They also make a 42mm variant.

Be back soon!

Julian on poljot offers ploywatch or whatever for 5 euro if you're in Europe. It's so far mine has kept pretty good time, it might have been a couple of seconds fast but I think I set it ahead on purpose. On really low power the chronograph tends to stop at 57 seconds and the whole watch sorta stops along with it, had no other "issues" (if you could call a complication perfoming like that low power an issue) Surprised it came from the box still ticking desu but maybe everyone winds it more than I do. One tick is considered a wind right?

what kind of sounds do turtles make

pretty fucking based desu. good on breitling.

i love seeing a watch serve it's purpose like this.

just another reminder why they are such remarkable little pieces of engineering, and why they aren't going anywhere any time soon.

Casios marketing department is getting out off control

Eh wears fine in person. Will say I do prefer my smaller watches though.

>Hello fellow kids. Jpg

>5k

Is this true? where?

I won't ever sell mine unless I absolutely have to, but that's interesting.

How big is your wrist? Curious for my own sake, and Seikos are pretty much non-existent in any stores here

>europastar.com/news/2037835-helicopter-crash-in-the-antarctic-pilots-located.html
Did this really happen? It is a press release

These pictures are harder to take than it seems.

little over 6.5" but flat. Max lug to lug I could go is 48mm.

The one website i found it on. I know new it was less expensive.
shoppinginjapan.net/sbdx019

nice watch btw!

I think the Seamaster 300 has the nicest overall watch design in current production.
However, I do love getting lost in a dial with tons of shinies, and I would think the Seiko has the Omega beat in this respect.

At least, I think this is the case; I don't own either.
For all I know the Seamaster 300 dial looks absolutely spellbinding under certain light conditions with its sunken little indices and grainy dial. See pic.

I like both you watches m8. I also have smaller wrists buti just stay away from the big stuff.

Turtle turtle

I see, and thanks

I got it at $3.5k when it first came out. Realistically, if they had mass produced this watch the price probably should have been set between $2.5k-3k.

But I can see why Seiko can get away with the price they set for it. I fell in love with it the moment I saw it, so I was set on buying it the second I saw one for sale on WUS.

I wish there were more so others could also enjoy it.

what's the least neuro typical watch? i want a cool watch but i don't want to lose face in front of reddit and Sup Forums

thank you

kys

>for sale on WUS.
So pre-owned?

Is there some camera trickery involved, or is this watch really that beautiful?

One you build yourself. See you in a few decades.

yes user come to the swiss side

YEEEEEESSSSSSS

They can actually be pretty accurate

that is pretty good user

I have an Alpinist, sunburst dials are nothing special to me.

youtu.be/ysXF9z8pG1c

nice, black is better tho