Hey Sup Forums, do you use LaTex?

Hey Sup Forums, do you use LaTex?

Other urls found in this thread:

s1000d.org,
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LyX
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_TeXmacs
web.archive.org/web/20140914162448/https://yinwang0.wordpress.com/2012/10/13/texmacs
mathcha.io/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Yes. Gummi is great. Wish they had it for win7 since that's what I use at work.

i do all my programming in sharelatex.
(also, you say 'lateCH')

I wish we had a better alternative, but yeah... I use it.
It's good for math but the syntax is inconsistent and it's painful to fix the layout.

>i do all my programming in sharelatex.
>(also, you say 'lateCH')
I say lateKH

Can't get back to word since I got used to it

Its better than Microsoft Word/Libre Writer tho

R Markdown

I used it for everything in uni, from "normal" uses for math and science classes to even just simple papers for other classes. I mostly write technical documentation nowadays though and use s1000d.org, for work and hobby projects. I still sometimes use LaTeX in conjunction with it, as a simpler alternative than writing a custom XSL-FO stylesheet for a quick PDF document, but I don't have much reason to write "raw" LaTeX anymore. I'd be more likely to use Markdown/RST + pandoc for something that really quick and disposable.

Is it better then texmaker?

No, I have deadlines.

Just use lyx you turbopleb

Thanks, but no thanks. I don't need it, I got FrameMaker.

Sometimes. It's nice for bigger papers but for short stuff I just throw it together in libreoffice.

I write LaTeX documents in Atom. Once you get over the learning curve, it's pretty swell to use. I like that it works great with git.

Yeah. There are some nice atom plugins for writing LaTeX and previewing it, complete with sync.

>inb4botnet/resource waster
I've got 64Gb of ram, and know how to set up control groups, and atom can be pretty comfy if set up properly

Is it comfy back in the 90s? I bet it is

Just make a template for your docs, or use a provided one if you're in a technical institution.

Then write your doc in markdown, run it through pandoc, and you'll have a document rendered in LaTeX but written in markdown

Yes because I study applied maths. I use it through a VSCode extension and it works really well.

W-why? I already know latex and I use it when the situation calls for. I don't really see any advantage in learning markdown just to convert it to latex.

Comfier than the 80s, that's for sure.

Never used it. Use share latex for convenience now.

>learning markdown
Its like 3 things to learn

*italic*, **bold**, quotes are the same as Sup Forums, headings start with #, and lists are done by a + at the start of a line

Idk, both eras sound comfy compared to the hellscape which is 2010s

>I wish we had a better alternative
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LyX
or better yet
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_TeXmacs
no reason to abandon latex when you can use a better gui

I know markdown is pretty simple but I still don't see the point of converting markdown to latex when I already know latex.

It's not about the gui, it's about the language in itself. Editors are the last of its problem.

is TeXmacs any good? I don't like emacs but this intrigues me

IMO markdown + latex pipeline is more efficient than anything involving word.

No, there's a better option out there for almost everything unless you're submitting academic papers

Sure for large documents things like latex and markdown are way better than word or writer but for something short (a couple pages) writer/word is just fine to quickly throw things together.

org-babel to latex pipeline is god-tier

Is GOAT, beginner documentation is not so good unless you know Emacs and for making tables and formulas I found this web.archive.org/web/20140914162448/https://yinwang0.wordpress.com/2012/10/13/texmacs
Once you get past formulas and tables you wiont want to go back. I use it for my college notes because is damn fast.

For brainlets mathcha is excellent
mathcha.io/

nice

I don't use since university days.

>Emacs
Into GNU/Thrash it goes

I do use it but only because it was easier to position things than Word. Maybe I'll try HTML next time.

how to learn tikz

Markdown + pandoc is god tier.
I use LaTeX only for articles where I need precise formatting.