Why has Ubuntu won the distro race?

Why has Ubuntu won the distro race?

Other urls found in this thread:

web.archive.org/web/20150409040851/https://manjaro.github.io/expired_SSL_certificate/
manjaro.github.io/SSL-Certificate-Expired/
theverge.com/2018/1/9/16867068/microsoft-meltdown-spectre-security-updates-amd-pcs-issues
wired.com/story/macos-update-undoes-apple-root-bug-patch/
theregister.co.uk/2018/01/18/red_hat_spectre_firmware_update_woes/
insights.ubuntu.com/2016/04/07/ubuntu-is-everywhere/
ubuntu.com/support/plans-and-pricing
theregister.co.uk/2008/04/14/linux_manual/
omgubuntu.co.uk/2018/02/ubuntu-data-collection-opt-out
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I don't know, but its name is some hilarious caveman shit.

Because it's user friendly

ooga booga ubuntu

Did it really? I mean it was king for a long time but aren't Arch offshoots catching up? I'd say Arch is the new Debian these days.

Now Ubuntu has been made even better by ditching its controversial Unity desktop and adopting the critically acclaimed Gnome environment!

People seem to like Manjaro more and more these days, but I honestly doubt the actual userbase approaches buntu in numbers.

No shit, it's some African word

Yeah really

I thought it was Linux Mint who won?

Hits on distrowatch do not equal userbase numbers.

Because it's being developed by a company with actual funds, and not by volunteers.

-sold an installation medium themselves
-User friendly, solutions for proprietary stuff like binary only WiFi/GPU drivers, codecs, fonts, Java JRE/Flash (back when these were more relevant) several GUI configuration tools
-Secure out of the box by installed firewall, policykit, apparmor, packages compiled with hardening options enabled
-Excellent live CD/DVD (back at at start not many distros had one this good)
-Long Term Support release that can be augmented using PPAs

Made me laugh.

Because it hasn't. Manjaro is far better than shitbuntu.

Manjaro is for pretentious noobs who don't want to learn linux but are too contrarian to use ubuntu.

Manjaro would be great if it wasn't a tiny team that has made stupid decisions in the past:
web.archive.org/web/20150409040851/https://manjaro.github.io/expired_SSL_certificate/

manjaro.github.io/SSL-Certificate-Expired/

Would love to see a business backed Manjaro.

>Canonical removed downloads from their website
kek

This happens all the time across multiple vendors:
theverge.com/2018/1/9/16867068/microsoft-meltdown-spectre-security-updates-amd-pcs-issues

wired.com/story/macos-update-undoes-apple-root-bug-patch/

theregister.co.uk/2018/01/18/red_hat_spectre_firmware_update_woes/

1st ubiquitous modern commercial os that 'just werks'

Those free CDs

Nice post. Upvoted.

Yes, the Linux labs at my university are Ubuntu and I imagine it's the same in most schools. That alone would make a sizable chunk of users (my campus has probably 150-200 computers at least dual booting it and my campus is a satellite of a larger university) but Ubuntu is also babbys first distro and a semipopular server distro. I would assume Ubuntu is still on top in user share.

Image from: insights.ubuntu.com/2016/04/07/ubuntu-is-everywhere/

This, but unironical.

Literally why I'll never use Udindu.

because it just works

It had a huge company behind it with an actual marketing budget unlike the other distros made up of mostly volunteers

Because it's too good for autistic fa/g/ots.

It just werks! ®

No, Ubuntu has largely stagnated these past few years. Red hat is the real winner by shoving Gnome, systemd, and pulseaudio down most distro's throats.

how do the ubuntu guys make money? company contracts or something?

Yep: ubuntu.com/support/plans-and-pricing

at my school its fedora

>I don't know, but its name is some hilarious caveman shit.
theregister.co.uk/2008/04/14/linux_manual/
Verity Stob finds more modern traces, as it were.

>I'd say Arch is the new Debian these days.

stop posting

Weird way to spell Fedora

>Why has Ubuntu won the distro race?
Because it was the first to come with a truly user friendly installer. And a distro with a lot of useful things without getting awkward abot non-free stuff. People want to get things done, not listening to RMS.

Debian, in contrast, has excessively verbose install documents cross linked to the max so you can never be sure yo have covered it all. The process is far more painful than Ubuntu. And woe betide if you need non-free drivers for your Ethernet adapter. that is on a separate installer.

>I'd say Arch is the new Debian these days.
No, Debian is more Debian than ever. Arch is still Arch. Neither has changed their mission statement.

Orange brown theme was instant hit.

because it's pretty stable and the apt-get command isn't that awful as people might think
the 14.04 wasn't that stable though but 16.04 is decent
Gnome offers the best software for the unity desktop and you can easily install .rpm there

Isn't Mint just shitty Ubuntu?

You can avoid the terminal. I don't why normies, or winfa/g/s for that matter, find the terminal so daunting.

Engineers have issues with GUIs because they're not exactly the same every time.

it's because the world has been dominated by guis for the last 20 years
people aren't used to it
it's also because it gives off the same sense as someone who never works on cars opening up the hood

I wasn't either when I started. I persevered, and got better. I didn't know anything about cars when I got mine. I still learned and fixed every problem it had myself. Then again I was driving a classic chevy model from the mid 90s.

Same here for my former school.
Granted, this is a STEM Research Uni, but Fedora/ Red Hat seems to be the goto Linux distro for those types of lab enviroments

>unix bearded white male is the clueless designer
>hoodie wearing poc female is the computer savvy engineer

Ikr, I very much relate to it. I've only met a couple of people who weren't complete retards when it comes to terminals.

NixOS won the distro race
>perfect in every way
Arch is pretty good
>good documentation and keeps it simple, has a large enough official repo
>not user friendly, unstable rolling release, sketchy installers in the AUR
Fedora is meh
>stable as a rock and just works
>no software in repos
Ubuntu is meh
>user friendly and tons of software in repos
>breaks all the time

they sold out for amazonbucks

Because it's easy. Sure, there are use cases where people need different distros, but even as a developer, I don't want to screw around installing shit from source, unstable upgrades, x.org breaking, etc. Ubuntu does what it needs to do and leaves you alone. Furthermore, other developers tend to use the thing they are comfortable with so when they make their app, iot device, etc. They just end up getting Ubuntu.

>I wondered if you perhaps had trod in some ubuntu? The Tlokweng Road is covered in it today.
>trod in some ubuntu

>46 ubuntu cloud instances launched each minute
>approx. 1 ubuntu cloud instances launched each second

Forcing, it just werked.

If you switch the characters, it becomes too accurate which’ll offend someone.

I love terminal but I have no idea how to use that shit.

I want to start to a youtube series about learning bash. I love linux, open-source software, bash so much; I want to pass on my knowledge.

does anyone still use ubuntu?

install gentoo

I'd be interested. Currently taking applied math and want to lrn2bash

I really Fedora it's pretty solid.

I'm pretty sure they paid people to suggest their distro in books.
Back when I got started I had a book that suggested Ubuntu. It had like 3 pages on why it's great iirc.

>arch
Nobody uses arch except for dweebs who wanna post riced out screenshots of their gay anime desktops.

Ubuntu is user friendly and basically the Windows of linux to it has more popularity as the gateway distro. But there are plenty of others that get used.

Why do you think so?
What does it matter?
And what is the criteria?

commercial support
solid, established brand
emphasis on user-friendliness
snowball effects resulting in a large community and great compatibility

>everything you could want are in the official repos
>everything else includes .deb installers or instructions for compiling specifically for ubuntu
>piss easy install, easy to dual boot
>everything just works don't have to worry about drivers unless you have some really foreign hardware
>updated every year, with long term updates every 2 years
That's why I use it.

It just werks, but unironically
I still get to work in a unix environment and get most of the Linux benefits, but with very little effort required. Almost everything is available for it in a package or as a .deb so unless it's something really obscure I never have to compile from source. Unless you're an autist that wants to spend hours compiling, researching, and customizing, Ubuntu is the ideal OS for people who don't buy into microshit or applel

Is Ubuntu a botnet?

Wasnt that the certificate people being incompetent though? Like, the manjaina team had it all ready but the former fucked up?

The whole "our lead dev who also happens to have all the keys to the kingdom is too busy with RL so sorry no more forums lmao" is pretty fucking stupid though. It's so dumb that I can't really buy it; must've been more going on behind the scenes.

In mine thurd world cuntry the cheapest laptop options don't have windows but they install ubungu on for free so that the poors have something.

Because AOL tier marketing.

Is that some crazy weeb poetry?

Is that female 2d or 3d?

They haven't, Debian is still superior in every way.

>tfw no iori for valentines day

Anal.

I though redhat/fedora was winning

omgubuntu.co.uk/2018/02/ubuntu-data-collection-opt-out
the state of ubuntu

>Whether you have network connectivity
What's the point? It's not like they'll get the data from someone without network connectivity.

- normies can set it up and use it
- catchy name
- many VPS use it as their default distro

>Fresh install of Ubuntu 17.10 takes 1100MB of RAM on launch, which is slightly more than Windows 7 or 8.1
OH NO NO NO

Honestly, this. Ubuntu has more household name recognition than Linux.

>windows of linux
>implying thats a good thing

It literally just werks

What the hell? Mine hovers around 600mb

Fucking this...

>can't install muh archlinux for cool blue logo in screenfetch threads.
>muh Manjaro is just as good
>I have better things to do than spend time installing an os

Did ANYONE think before taking that picture?
I was dumbfounded when I first saw it on the homepage

Maybe they're all thinking it's funny.
Maybe you and I have dirty minds.

>I mean it was king for a long time
WE

They have? I only see Debian, CentOS, Kali, and Arch in my work/play circles.

>using the distro made by blacks with a nigger name
One job

I'd watch this. I mean I know how to use the basic commands but in-depth videos about sed, grep etc are really missong on youtube

UNIRONICALLY THIS

MUD HUT LINUX