Are they actually good?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2Gtf5-PjqRg
youtube.com/watch?v=ogpJk4ijv3U
youtube.com/watch?v=4_32gLN6l1M
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

no

yes

I haven't listened to ...and justice for all but the rest are good.

yes

Yes but not as good as Rust in Peace or Peace Sells

Yes, these are thrash metal classics almost anyone with an interest in the genre could like. Even if you're not interested in thrash metal, the latter 3 albums have ballads on there which are just great. I dislike how they mixed the bass guitar on Justice though, kind of detracts from the whole album for me.

Kill Em All is better than both

I bought both kill em all and ride the lightning.... remastered
couldnt get the original ones
did i fuck up big?

not really

Even their non thrash out put like The Black Album, Load, Reload and Death Magnetic wasn't that bad tbqh

Kill Em All has such simple and garden variety riffs and composition I don't understand how even Metallicafags like it more than any of their other albums

Kill em all is good

Master of Puppets is the best by a fairly wide margin. Don't let the contrarians fool you. Start there. If you like that go further.
MoP>RtL>KeA>AJFA>Load>Black>DM>ReLoad>StA
Garage Days is kind of a fun record but hit or miss. Cover songs, so not really a Metallica album per se.

they're decent.

It's tighter, faster, more raw than their other work. Its energy incorporates some punk and garage elements to great effect. I wouldn't consider myself a huge Metallica fan but I've listened to the 4 in pic and it's best imo

If you listen to Master of Puppets without thinking that the title track or Orion are the showcasing songs, it's objectively the best of the 4. Best production, best tones, best riffs. Leper Messiah, Disposable Heroes, and The Thing That Should Not Be are prime examples.

No not at all

MOP > RTL >AJFA > KTA

thanks

No life til leather > Kill em all > Ride the lightning > master of puppets > And Justice

kill em all sucks but the other three are good.

this is what you listen to if you literally just got into metal.

You're definitely right. The one thing Kill 'em All has over all the other Metallica records is it's strong groove.

yes

Meh. The production sucks and the song writing is immature. There's the usual sense of urgency in a band's first record. Compared to MoP its undercooked and too much over playing.

There's actually no bass on Justice at all, and it was intentional.

It's there. It's just mixed horribly. If you try to boost the bass it just distorts.

they are all great

Kill em All is the most raw and most fun to listen to. It has a very punk vibe. I actually think its better than what people make it out to be. It might be my favorite from them.

Best tracks: Hit the Lights, Four horsemen, Seek & Destroy, No Remorse, Whiplash

Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets are very similar. RTL being more raw and MoP having the tighter and better production. I personally prefer MoP but both are amazing.

Best tracks RTL: Trapped Under Ice, Creeping Death, Fade to Black, For Whom the Bell Tolls
Best tracks MoP: Battery, Master of Puppets, Orion, Damage Inc

And Justice for All feels a little more stripped down because the lack of bass but it has the longest/almost proggy compositions. The instrumentation here is top notch as well as James' voice.
Best tracks: One, Dyers Eve, Blackened, Eye of the Beholder

>MoP best tracks

those are all wrong

no, but this may help

>meshuggah

>KEA
James can't sing for shit here, and that's the main flaw of this album. It's hard to call this Metallica, since most of the material here is from Dave Mustaine. Occasionally catchy, but devoid of depth or meaning.
>RTL
When Metallica establishes their rhythms, in more ways than one. Opening the album with an acoustic section followed by an aggressive song about destruction, also featured the first ballad in Fade To Black. Where people started taking Metallica (and Thrash Metal) seriously. James has cleaned up his terrible voice a bit and the songs usually execute fairly well.
>MOP
The great divider. Some say they made their style more accessible and less Thrash. The overall sound is less metallic and more bass-heavy. Sanatarium becomes a monster hit with non-thrashers, but the songs are perhaps in their best here. Every song has an idea and feels distinct from the last, not to mention the album has a great flow with only 1 major misstep (Leper Messiah).
>AJFA
Arguably less accessible than MOP. Metallica goes full progressive on this one, songs are just too long without enough riffs or ideas to fill them out. New bassist Jason is practically inaudible here and the production is atrocious. Still manages a few Thrashers in Blackened and Dyers Eve, but much of the album is slower than before. One gets on MTV in 1989, against Metallica's long-standing resistance to them, against the anti-greed themes of the album, and against the anti-establishment attitudes of all Thrash bands. The end of the 80s, the end of Thrash, the end of Metallica's edge in the music industry. The Black Album, 2 albums with jizz as the cover art, the Napster fight, a REALLY late attempt to sellout into Nu-Metal, and an absolutely atrocious collaboration with Lou Reed follow.

Are they good? Yeah, they're enjoyable for a casual listening, but that's it. Yesterday's anti-war ballads and anti-corruption thrashers are being played on the classic rock stations. Time to move on.

Objectively

Kill 'em All > Master of Puppets > And Justice for All > Ride the Lightning

just switch kill em all and master of puppets

This tbqh, Master of Puppets is the only song on that list that should be there.

Well I was saying objectively in the meme sense, as objectively MoP is their best album, but I come back to Kill 'em All more often because it's way better for getting out my aggression.

what are the best songs?

The Thing That Should Not Be > Sanitarium > Master of Puppets > Leper Messiah > Battery >>> everything else

Ride The Lightning > Master of Puppets = ...and Justice For All > Kill 'Em All

/thread/

Kill 'Em All is fun and full of energy, but the songs aren't the most multidimensional or developed.

Ride The Lightning is the sweet spot. It's got fantastic production, the songwriting is spot on, it's got just enough KEA and just enough MOP, and being the shortest of the four it ends just before it starts to wear out its welcome. Plus dat artwork.

Master Of Puppets is kind of like RTL part two but a little less intense I suppose. They're kind of tossups but I prefer RTL. MOP is usually considered their magnum opus though, but some of that has to do with Orion and the circumstances surrounding it being Cliff Burton's last album.

...And Justice For All is them at their most prog, and it has some of their most interesting compositions and honestly some of the band's best songs. However, and I don't care how cliche it is, it is seriously marred by its terrible mixing/production. I honestly can't think of many albums where the production is so bad that it actually hinders my enjoyment of the excellent songs, but this is one of them. The drums sound like clicks and lack any sense of power, the guitars sound like mosquitos, the bass is virtually nonexistent. And not just the bass guitar either, the album has no low end at all. Some people don't mind it though so you may very well like the album. That's just my opinion though.

Ride The Lightning is absolutely masterful.

Of course they're good. Only a plebeian contrarian would say otherwise.

Yes

yes

Kill em all is the best.

Welcome to where time stands still
No one leaves and no one will

Metallica's first four albums are all quite good. Anything after is garbage

The Thing That Should Not Be might just be the worst song on MoP.

Moon is full, never seems to change
Just labeled mentally deranged

Metal is for children

They're terrific, all 4, but Ride the Lightning is literally greatest thrash riffs ever: the album

Isn't there a Lavren Mayberry thread you should be jerking off to somewhere?

youtube.com/watch?v=2Gtf5-PjqRg

I had an obsession with them in the 7th grade, but looking back, I don't think there's a single song of theirs that does anything musically interesting or any neat or elaborate production values.

I would love to be proven wrong, I want to get into metal again!!!

Big 4 in a nutshell

METALLICA-FIRST 4
ANTHRAX-FIRST 3...MAYBE 5....
SLAYER-FIRST 5
MEGADETH-FIRST 4

SLAYER BEST

POPULAR THRASH AFTER BIG 4 that still play

EXODUS
TESTAMENT
NUCLEAR ASSAULT
OVERKILL
DEATH ANGEL
KREATOR
SODOM
DESTRUCTION
SUICIDAL

Maybe Annihilator are pretty well known too?
But fuck it. Eternal Nightmare by Vio-lence was the best 80's thrash album. Fuck you. Its true nigga....

Maybe Darkness Descends...

it's more of a primal thing. don't over think it.

This

I still prefer megadeth to metallica, but that's just me.

Dude I saw death angel and testament play at Bogart's in Cincinnati a few years ago it was wild!!!!!! 3 cans of beer were spilled on my jacket but I didn't care cause the dude from testaments double bass was raping my stomach

My honest opinion? ...And Justice for All is great, Ride the Lightning is alright, the other two are pretty meh.

>no Morbid Saint
>Heathen
>Forbidden
>Sadus
Are you even trying brah

Could you BE more wrong?

youtube.com/watch?v=ogpJk4ijv3U

This song makes my ears wet.

youtube.com/watch?v=4_32gLN6l1M

What was that ... for? Dramatic effect or some sort of autistic pause so you could say the album? Well guess what, reading it doesn't have the same effect. We ust read across the dots so you look even more retarded

Kill 'Em All is 10/10 thrash metal (especially for coming out in 1983) and would be most other metal bands of the times' one true masterpiece. It's overshadowed by its more developed brethren however.

Ride the Lightning is an even harder 10, their pinnacle, upping the ante in maturity and dynamics, managing to be softer and catchier at times while also being far heavier than Kill 'Em All in many respects.

Master of Puppets is sort of the sequel to Ride the Lightning. It's a very good album in its own right, but some aspects of it are inferior to its predecessor; they thrash out a little less which is a bummer because they were really good at it back then, Sanitarium can't match the brilliance of Fade to Black, and Leper Messiah isn't as catchy as escape or even a very good song. Orion is just as good as if not better than The Call of Ktulu, though.

...And Justice For All shows Metallica's most ambitious side. Opinions vary; many say the production seriously hinders it or that the songs drag on for far too long, but I find it to be fucking awesome. Blackened and One in particular are both masterful. Production is weak, but far from horrible enough to impact the album unless you haven't listened to music with some truly shit production. This is arguably Metallica's heaviest album.

RtL>KEA=AJFA>MoP (but MoP is still great overall)

Honestly, AJFA is just mindless boring not even real wankery like the 60 % of the time

It's literally the name of the album.

Rust in Peace is the logical conclusion to 80s thrash metal

This is basically my exact opinion.

Although I sometimes credit KEA's sound to Mustaine - especially when listening to Killing is My Business. The riffs and solos all seem to have his signature on them in some way, and Metallica didn't really use that sound again afterward.

Ranked in order

The name of the album is "...And Justice For All"

To me KEA's riffage sounds more NWOBHM tinged than the rest of Metallica's works, or anything by Megadeth (perhaps barring Killing is my Business)

what's the best Metallica song and why is it The Frayed Ends of Sanity?

Best one comes just after that track, but good taste anyway user. AJFA is the best album ever, I can admit production is polemic but the songs are too good and the objectively "bad" production maybe ends up adding some love to the whole thing.

germans did thrash better. end of story

either top quality bait or youre genuinely retarded

sodom hardly did shit, and kreator only has one great thrash album to their name
that only leaves destruction

This

Are you fucking deaf?

1. MoP
2. RtL
3. KeA
4. AJFA
5. Black Album

True. Fucking look at Kreator. First 5 albums are all classics. Their worst albums are still good albums. Violent Revolution and Enemy of God are some of the best post-1990 thrash albums. Give me Extreme Aggression, Pleasure to Kill, or Coma of Souls over anything the Big 4 made.

>kreator only has one great thrash album to their name
Congrats. That is the most ill-informed sentences I've ever read on Sup Forums. You are certified retarded.

>sodom hardly did shit
Persecution Mania and Agent Orange would like a word with you

Their debut is the best of the bunch, it's pure thrash/speed metal.

correct now please die

>autism

1. Kill Em All
2. Master of Puppets
3. Ride The Lightning
4. ... And Justice For All

Not better than Megadeth

this
>rtl over kea
kys pleb

>True. Fucking look at Kreator. First 5 albums are all classics. Their worst albums are still good albums. Violent Revolution and Enemy of God are some of the best post-1990 thrash albums. Give me Extreme Aggression, Pleasure to Kill, or Coma of Souls over anything the Big 4 made.
wew lad

glad to see Kill em All getting some love

but he is right...

All of these albums are GOAT! You need not go any further. (Well, The Black Album is good, but not as good as these four)