Why aren't you using Dvorak Sup Forums?

Why aren't you using Dvorak Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

oocities.org/enchantedforest/5241/german.htm
hecticgeek.com/2012/02/simple-dvorak-typing-tutor-ubuntu-linux/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

vim

For a Sup Forumstard, I'm actually highly meme resistant.

I am used to qwerty touch typing already. Don't feel fucked to learn a new way when qwerty is good enough.

Because I'm using Colemak

This.. I can already type at ~100 wpm why bother with learning a new layout

me too

Because I find it to be uncomfortable. Since the vowels are all directly under the left fingers, my left hand starts to feel cramped and overworked after typing for extended durations of time.

This, most of the time you'll spend more time on thinking than on typing.

I am on every other computer I own. This one being the exception so I can still maintain a decent enough QWERTY speed so as not to hate myself every time I use a shared comuputer.

>Why aren't you using Dvorak Sup Forums?
I am though, on my custom key-cap printed mechanical keyboard with Arch logo.

forgot image

Because I'm used to qwerty and you can't do anything about it.

because im already used to qwerty and the costs of switching to dvorak outweighs the benefits since i already know how to type.

isnt that made by the wasd keyboard company? if so then the build quality on those isnt very good and it was kind of stupid to buy one of those

Because I type mostly on a company laptop which I couldn't switch keycaps on probably, and switching between them on a daily basis would just be frustrating.

because I'm already using a superior layout.
Notice how I can type 70% of the most common words using the home row alone, without moving my fingers from resting position. how cool is that?

Colemak is superior and easier to learn coming from qwerty.

This.

Look how useful capslock is too. All the useful programming symbols on the home row or right next to it.

Well shit, time to learn this.

Because I don't want to spend half my time typing on a dvorak keyboard at home and the other half typing on a qwerty keyboard at work.

Oh, and look! I have convenient access to a navigational layer, which makes both the arrow keys as well as the numpad obsolete.
Super useful for tenkeyless or 60% keyboards.

It's aimed at Germans though. Our default layout is even worse than qwerty for programming due to retarded bracket/other symbol placement

It's from WASD yes, but as you can see from the image name, the thing is 4 years old already and used daily, the build quality is fine.
And it's one of the only keyboards that does Dvorak via hardware.

>Our default layout is even worse than qwerty for programming
That's exactly why this Neo layout seems interesting.

I see. Have fun typing like shit for 2 weeks
Tipp10 has lessons for Neo layout, really helpful

Because I'm using Workman. It has its flaws but it's the only layout that recognizes that your hands easily cover a two-dimensional area, rather than jerking off to either muh home row (colemak) or muh hand alternation (dvorak).

> And it's one of the only keyboards that does Dvorak via hardware.
What are you talking about? Literally every single keyboard with programmable firmware can do dvorak (and anything else) via hardware.

Programmer dvorak is more fun

all my niggas is savages

>Why aren't you using Dvorak Sup Forums?
Because most of the claims by its proponents, about it and about the normal keyboard layout, are literally fake news and fake science.

>programmable firmware
fair enough, I was less tech-savvy then, will probably look into it when this one dies (if ever)

but user, i'm using it. i'll switch back to qwerty though.

what a beautiful keyboard.

I would use it, but the effort to learn it is too much for me. The other issue is that with i3, all th e mnemonics break with a different layout. I'm also rather doubtful of its claims, and I'm not sure all that effort is worth the small boost in performance. I think that practicing QWERTY would improve my speed faster than learning Dvorak.

It's not about speed and performance all you niggers, it's about comfort. Your fingers literally travel significantly less on average, and you need to reach out to distant keys much less, and the load is much more evenly balanced between the hands. It won't make you magically type at 140wpm, but it'll feel much, much better.

Some people do report speed increases of like 10-20 wpm, but even if that's trustworthy, accurate and reproducible you'd be right that it would not be worth it at all. But it's not the goal at all, you're all missing the point.

I swipe-type on my phone

/thread

but to be able to type at similar speeds to qwerty if you already know the keyboard you will have to spend like a year learning it or maybe more

More like a couple of months. And there's diminishing returns at the end, so you can reach maybe 70% of your usual speed within a couple of weeks. The first few days are the most painful, as you learn to to from hunt and peck for every individual letter at like 2wpm, but if you stick to it you'll end up getting into a rhythm quickly enough and reach like 30-40wpm very soon. At that speed you can actually put down your thoughts at a proper pace and everything becomes much easier.

so apparently my keyboard has a switch for switching to hardware dvorak. this shit is fucking weird to type on. this took like 5 minutes to type all this. with this layout though you definitely move your fingers alot less but it is only good if you started with it. qwerty is still alot better if its what youre used to. i can do like 110 wpm on qwerty but like probably fucking 10 wpm on dvorak.

>Why aren't you using Dvorak
Because I use Programmer Dvorak.

so, what you see here kids is a Dvorak mid row with one different letter and an additional letter.
If you add letters to the home row, you could achieve more than 85%, who knew.
This is _not_ a 70% home row, because H is more frequent in english than R or Y as per "Dvorak, Merrick, Dealey and Ford (1936) Typewriting Behavior: Psychology applied to teaching and learning Typewriting. American Book Company, New York, USA."
Also this is Sup Forums, and your layout is _not_ programmer friendly, you need to press caps to type a semicolon, a colon, slash, backslash, parenthesis and basically I have to smash caps 10 times for each line of code.
DROPPED.

P.S.: I am laughing at those useless symbols, I am surprised that it doesn't have the "any key" and the smiles.

>and your layout is _not_ programmer friendly
It's about as good as you'll get with a language that has 30 letters. Beats having to hold Alt Gr and reaching for the number row.

you could do better with qwerty, but we learnt qwerty the wrong way, otoh people who learn dvorak learn it the right way, so you end up typing the right way on dvorak and the wrong way on qwerty.
Right way is to use the asigned finger for the right letter and the wrong way is to type with index and middle finger as most people do on qwerty.
Dvorak offers a speed advantages, somewhere between 10 to 20 more wpm, but you type more fluidly and you protect your wrists, fingers and tendons.
I had several ganglion cysts in the past, until I started using dvorak 24/7 and everything disappeared.
I am since 2012 on dvorak.

check programmer dvorak.(hint top row)

Now my german letters are harder to get to and the general layout is more optimized for english.

>so you end up typing the right way on dvorak and the wrong way on qwerty
hmm on qwerty i just use 7 fingers, i dont use pinkys or my left thumb since its easier for me. if i tried to learn dvorak wouldnt i just end up typing the same way anyways?

Dvorak can be applied for every language.
Dvorak is more of a study as how you should create a layout, than a typing layout.
oocities.org/enchantedforest/5241/german.htm
You only have to take a huge sample of typed words, measure the frequency and place them on a similar layout like the original dvorak.

Even if you type the exact same way it'll be more comfortable simply because there's less distance for your fingers to travel.

Bear in mind that Dvorak specifically is really old and was made without any significant datasets. It's much better than qwerty, but there are better modern layouts that were generated by running an optimizer function over a large set of real data. Colemak might be a good start.

Kek, all of these still have half of the programming related symbols in the same awful spots as default qwertz.

>wouldnt i just end up typing the same way anyways
I was/am typing qwerty like you, but I learnt dvorak using this hecticgeek.com/2012/02/simple-dvorak-typing-tutor-ubuntu-linux/
I type in dvorak with all 10 fingers and I have limited myself the first months to use the lshift or rshift based on which half of the keybord the letter was, so as to always use _one_ hand.
Typing is now fully balanced between my 2 hands.
To learn qwerty the right way you should unlearn it first, which is impossible.
Learning dvorak is frustrating in the beginning but takes less time.

You can make a Programmer German Dvorak layout anytime.
You don't have to use the top row with numbers+symbols as is if you don't use it for programming.
Dvorak has also left and righthanded layouts, the one's above are all the so called normal types.

i recently gave up and went back to qwerty after using colemak for a year, its not worth it when I'm always using different peoples computers at work and have other people use mine. I wish dvorak/colemak/some other homerow optimised keyboard was the standard but it isn't.

>Colemak might be a good start.
colemak is really good if you do linux administration and you type a lot of ruby bash and other similar things.
I had a colleague using colemak and he told me that it's the best thing for such things.

>I wish
you can't remove the stupid from consumers and you don't have the knowledge or the mind to look for such things when you start typing in early age.
You won't understand the benefit of non-qwerty keyboards if you are young and stupid(as in immature)

I'd rather use a layout that's already made for me and is easy to install than create my own.
Plus, going back to the core issue, I don't see how pressing an easy to reach modifier and an easy to reach key is harder than reaching for the number row to type symbols.
We only have so many keys on a keyboard so some things have to be behind modifiers. I'd rather it be symbols than letters or numbers.

but does it really matter if you can type the proper way or not if you have a way that works well for you?

I can pronounce "queerty yuewee awp" and "zuck sebum" but I can't pronounce dvorak

i just say davorak

it stresses you hands and tendon damage does not hurt until it's in a serious stage because tendons don't have nerves and no blood to repair them.
Think about this: Your back hurts after you lift a heavy box.

>I'd rather it be symbols than letters or numbers
there are a lot of people that press shift and other modifiers on the keyboard more often than pressing the middle row, and that's because of programming.
Whatever works for you.

Because I'm not a commie.

I would switch if iOS supported it natively. inb4 someone calls me gay.

but i still put my hands and fingers at the correct angles though so i should still be fine right?

that depends on many factors, but the right positioning and typing helps a lot.

Because there's no evidence that you'll be more efficient with it, and no evidence you'll reattain your previous typing speed and accuracy if you're already proficient with qwerty.

Dvorak is like a piano player designing a keyboard.
Left hand is for rhythm, right hand is for melody.