/wt/ - Watch Thread

This thread is about the appreciation of horology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required viewing for new people:
youtu.be/E6WMenS141A

>Used watch guide:
pastebin.com/4cP1Tpri

>Strap guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

>Watch essentials 102:
pastebin.com/VBAu4Rwi

>Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

europastar.com/news/2037835-helicopter-crash-in-the-antarctic-pilots-located.html
adventuresinamateurwatchfettling.wordpress.com/2013/11/27/a-seiko-6309-7040/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

This flyer is all over my college; embarrassing.

>caring about what women think of your watch when the only women worth attracting are around 20-y-o and therefore know nothing whatsoever about watches

Is this where we talk about Breitling?

Find pictures of the exact watch on someone's wrist and send anonymous emails to the address periodically with titles like "we're enjoying ourselves"

Hi dad! When are you getting the Corvette? How about the Harley?

I'm young and I'd like to have a Breitling, Corvette, and Harley.

Girls that age are more into tattoos than watches, my girlfriend couldn’t give a shit about my Hamilton but she’d probably leave me for a guy with sleeves

Breitling is for world explorers traveling to the far reaches of the globe who are putting their lives in danger, some may or may not have children

europastar.com/news/2037835-helicopter-crash-in-the-antarctic-pilots-located.html

(You)

wat

Can we ban all Seikos from this thread? Thanks.

Digital watches are a fine alternative in function, and sometimes form, to other, more expensive watches.

Ironic.

Hi /wt/
Remember my Ocean Resist?
Turns out it is also Carnavao Resist.

i unironically bought that watch as my first "not a 10 bucks aliexpress shitter" watch last week.
~300 usd.
too late now, but it cant be the worst choice?

Hi pupper

That's a bit expensive but it's a fine watch.

>~300 usd
why did you buy it? what motivated you?

>it's a fine watch.

is there an echo?

>is there an echo?

Nice!
But be careful that noone steals your timepiece!

It's illegal to steal things in Brazil user, he will be fine

didnt want an automatic because i'd wear it i guess 3-4 days a week. solar seemed like a good choice. the watch itself was more like 250 but since its not sold here i got fd with postal.

Do you like the crown?

Turtle

:~)

Not "steal" per se.
More like shoot in the head and take whatever is on the guy.
But that's Rolex guys' problem. Or even Seiko.
My F-91W's Carnavao resistance comes from its Mugging Resist property!

well... i usually buy things i like, so seems i do.
but i think it would look better without, or maybe with blue.

>but i think it would look better without, or maybe with blue.
THE STRIPE ON THE WINDY KNOB IS THE BEST PART

>mall tier
>”wonderful piece of handiwork”

Okay, I think now we have:
Ocean Resist
Car Resist
Car Wash Resist
Carnavao Resist
Mugging Resist

What's next? Is there anything that can beat the unbeatable?

at my local mall they sell Rolexes and Omegas, what's wrong with being sold at a mall user.

hmmmmm?

"mall tier" doesn't mean literally "watch which was sold in a mall" user.

no?

hmmmmm?

Unimpressed with watch but very impressed with the good quality strap with a signed buckle for 70 Canadian tire dollars

Hey /wt/ 6 months in and my Samsung Gearfit 2 is unfortunately showing some signs of wear [pictured] are some really anoying nicks along the edge and it seems its just wear from the charging dock. Any touch up advice ? Im thinking of a paint pen to just fill up the white a little. The simple fact is dumbwatches are much much more durable in the long term. Probably will have to bin this thing when the battery goes.

That said. Im a cyclist and now i cant live with out it. The cyclocomputer really suprised me. It has a gps so it tracks my route but the speedometer is hell good. One interesting thing as a fitness tracker with heart-rate etc it calculates energy burned. It seems like a total meme feature but something interesting happened recently. I normally commute on a mountain bike and catch the train. It used to say id burn roughly 125kcal. Well i just purchased a proper road bike two weeks ago. Its jumped to 300kcal. On the weekends im going further and pushing myself to 600kcal. Im feeling much fitter and feel like i have lost weight. Really interesting i feel the watch is really helping me in a new way ;)

the only shop that sells any "good" watches here, sells lorus , are they any good?

The Rolex/Omega stores are in upscale malls, Nixon is Sears/JCPenny standard mall territory

I could try HCl if I have access to some. And if I do, I will post a video.

Then shouldn't you call it a Sears watch user...

hmmmmm?

Astounding if true

By the way...
It is surprisingly Airport Security Resist. I flew here with three connections.
I will further test the Airport Securty Resist feature soon.

today was a p cool day

I think in the 2000s you could get arrested on the airport and sent to Guantanamo Bay. They classified Casio watches as signs of terrorism, because Al Qaida mass ordered them to build bombs
Pretty badass backstory for a $10 watch if you ask me

You may not like it, but this is what peak performance looks like.

>In a handful of cases the detainee's possession of a Casio watch or the wearing olive-drab clothing is cited as evidence that the detainee is an enemy combatant. No basis is given to explain why such evidence makes the detainee an enemy combatant.
>Several international news sources noticed this use of the possession of a model of watch as evidence against detainees at Guantanamo Bay[25] with detainees "shocked" that wearing a cheap popular watch sold worldwide could be used against them when "millions and millions of people have these types of Casio watches".[26] Abdulla Kamel al Kandari told his tribunal he had no idea that the watch was associated with terrorism,[27] that the four Muslim chaplains at Guantanamo all wore this model of watch [28] and described the features of his watch that signal the call to prayers to a devout Muslim .[29]
This watch is getting better and better

nice.

I am getting pic related (120813) in a few weeks. It's going to have mod hands, yellow bezel and strap.... or something, idk yet.

Can someone help me identify this watvh? All I got is that it's a Japanese 6309 movement.

It says right there it's a 6309-805L

It's a seiko. An automatic with 17 jewels.

Now THAT is a watch!

Just got my watch serviced lads

Nice user.

Inb4 DAINI IS THE SUPERIOR SEIKOSHA

Jesus where do you go to school bulgaria?

Why have i never heard of this amazing life saving watch??!

You don't watch Top Gear?

what is "Top Gear"?

The greatest show

in the world

*was the greatest show

in the world

It's a Seiko 6309, a versatile movement from the mid 70s to mid 80s. There's one in my Dad's old watch pictured, and the movement was used in diver watches too, see adventuresinamateurwatchfettling.wordpress.com/2013/11/27/a-seiko-6309-7040/ for an interesting restoration with movement info

>was
Meh, I have it all on my server and watch some nearly every day

>I watch the past
Still was my friend.

n-no one responded to my pics..

the eterna is in amazing condition. movement looks like it was barely touched.

the accutron needs a new stem and a service. it hums so we got some life. thats gonna be a pain.

forgot pic

Don't they have a new show that's exactly the same but with another title ?

The Grand Tour. Yes, it's not too bad, but it's not exactly the same

Recently got back into watches

R8 my order

The Accutron looks great. Honestly, I'm not sure how much longer I'm going to keep mine due to how often it needs servicing, and how quickly it chews through batteries.

Looking for a good Speedmaster homage. Any suggestions?

>inb4 poorfag
>inb4 save up for a real one

$300 of pure shit.

buy 1 shitter and save up for a non-shitter
don't buy 3 shitters at the same time

Cringe

I don't care if a watch is $50 or $5,000 I have to like it.
I want some variety in my life, and I like the looks of these. I'll get a non shitter one of these days.

Redpill me on radium dials. Are they cancer or harmless?

>europastar.com/news/2037835-helicopter-crash-in-the-antarctic-pilots-located.html

Bah. The helicopter was REQUIRED to be equiped with a much more powerfull emergency location transmitter broadcasting on same 121.5 mhz as the watch.

t. avionics engineer

Not sure about radium, but a lot of my guns use tritium on their sights and I'm fine with that.

Bulova moonwatch
Seiko 7a28

Radium is an issue if you're opening the watch and breathing in radium dust, which is why it can be hard to find people willing to service it. It's fine on your wrist

Bretty gud shitters tbqh

Thanks

I have all the standard dream watches like a Speedmaster, Navimeter and Daytona. But not today.

Let me be the devil's advocate here for a second.
Those watches are considered a shitter, true, BUT they are excellent bang/buck shitters. 300 bucks could get you anywhere near a good watch anyways.
The orients are 7/10 (babmeme) 7.9/10 (ray) on the shitter scale.
I am not too happy about the timex, You should've go for the amphibia, but if that's what you like... So yeah, go ahead and do what the shit you want, but do not consider yourself a horology mastermind with those.

And?

Can you get radium dial that glow that much?

Radium is v. bad, stay away from it, but tritium is ok.

>but do not consider yourself a horology mastermind with those.
I never claimed to be. I got those based off of casual research and the fact I like them and want quality for my money. I'm by no means a high roller.
>amphibia
As I said previously, a watch has to appeal to me regardless of the price. Not really a fan of the face on that one.

Anyone knows what kind of tank is that one in the kommanderskie face?

t-10 maybe

More movement shots of the Eterna please

who do I trust?

The former. Nothing's gonna happen if the radium is just sitting on the dial.