/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and _monitor_ suggestions; click on the blue title to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g
>How to install Win7 on Ryzen
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

If you want help:
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs:
>NO i5 7500/7600K or i7 7700/K. THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY COFFEE LAKE
>R3 1200/1300X or R5 1400/1500X ARE SUPERSEDED BY THE R3 2200G AND R5 2400G, BUT UNLESS YOU BUY A COMBO YOU'LL LIKELY NEED TO HAVE THE BIOS UPDATED
>G4560 - non-gaming (light tasks) or bare minimum gaming builds with a dedicated graphics card
>R3 2200G - Budget builds (best with OC + fast RAM) or for gaming WITHOUT a graphics card
>R5 1600 / i5 8400 - Great gaming (especially the i5 8400) or multithreaded use CPUs (especially the R5 1600)
>R7 / Used Xeon / Threadripper / i7 - Heavy Multi-Tasking / VM Work / Mixed use

RAM:
>Current CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000-3200 MHz is ideal
>Before buying RAM for Ryzen, check your Mobo's QVL or look for user reports

Graphics cards:
>Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up (particularly Radeon)
1080p
>MSRP of standard 1080p cards: 1050Ti, 140USD; 1060 3GB, $200; 1060 6GB, $230; RX 570 4GB, $170; RX 580 4GB, $200
>GTX 1070 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
1440p
>GTX 1070/Ti and 1080 are standard choices; currently overpriced
>GTX 1080Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
2160p (4K)
>GTX 1080Ti

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 240GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor

Previous:

Other urls found in this thread:

newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.3754880
pcpartpicker.com/user/alertdotexe/saved/3zTpgs
pcpartpicker.com/product/XZCrxr
techradar.com/news/nvidia-turing-next-gen-graphics-cards-could-be-revealed-next-month
pcpartpicker.com/list/4vpLr6
youtube.com/watch?v=vcqu-9Ejf60
turbofuture.com/computers/best-am3-plus-motherboards
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

First!

News: Ryzen APUs have been released. The 2200G (99USD) and 2400G (169USD) are similar to the R3 1300X and R5 1500X respectively in cores/threads+clockspeed, but they have integrated graphics. The 2200G has 8 Vega CUs and the 2400G has 11 CUs, so they're in the same performance tier as the RX 550 (8CUs) or GT 1030.

Strongly consider a 2200G build until graphics card prices become reasonable again.

Air 540 is literally the best case for workstations
>cute Mid Tower cube
>E-ATX/CEB compatible
>long GPU compatible
>long PSU compatible
>up to 360mm radiator in the front and 280mm on the top
>good air flow
>transparent side panel
>cheap and light
>8 extension slots = 4 GPUs

>werkstation
>transparent side panel

Do we know which mobos work with the 2200G yet? Should we all wait for the new chipsets?

I wan't to build a toaster to play my 2007 games on

I want this.
But it is quite literally impossible to get.

And I don't mean because its last price was about 1.2k, you just can't find it.

>it doesn't matter how many useful features the case has, if you can see inside of it then it's LITERALLY UNUSABLE!

If you get a bundle, I'm sure it'll be updated.
newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.3754880

Is $250 for a GTX 970 a good deal?

Actually, after reading the fine print, it says
>Newegg.com cannot guarantee the compatibility of Combo items. Please contact the manufacturer(s) directly if you have issues or concerns regarding compatibility.
But I can't imagine they'd want to deal with the trouble of a bunch of unhappy customers, so I'd bet it'll at least post

As I said in the last thread, the most I'd pay is $200

Opinions on best micro atx z370 motherboard for OCing?

I recently got a good ass job and finally have money to build a PC

Is this a good build? What am I missing?

more noise and less durable

nigger ive seen hotel minibars that are smaller than that bulky piece of shit.

Unless you have a 1440p 144Hz monitor, it's overkill.

>dat cooler price
>dat gpu price
why not get 32gb of ram? i mean if you are going for overkill then why not?

I dont yet, but I'm planning on it.

I plan to do some heavy gaming which includes emulation as well which is why I need to CPU to be what it is. I plan on not having to do anything with it for a while because of how powerful it is

>why not get 32gb of ram?
I guess I could, but I figured that there wouldnt be any point. I'm not worried about money at all, but it doesnt seem useful

I wouldn't pay $1500 for a 1080Ti, might as well get a Titan Xp for that price.

>finally earning enough to buy high end gaming computer
>lost all interest in video games
>5 year old PC is fast enough for work

>I plan on not having to do anything with it for a while
let me clarify, I mean I dont want to have to upgrade it for a while

Well I chose that 1080ti by random to be honest, I dont know which 1080ti manufacturer would be best

you save saved yourself hundreds of dollars

EVGA and ASUS makes the best one.
Everyone else is mid tier

>EVGA

That's what I picked but what makes EVGA more expensive than the rest? I'll look into ASUS

What am I in for?

The ASUS card seems to be a couple hundred cheaper, is the EVGA one worth the extra money?

Version two of my "I spend 16 hours a day at my desktop for 10 years straight and I need this" upgrade. Goal is rendering World of Warcraft at as close to 240fps as possible and firefox at 1000000 fps. I spend most of my time in firefox(10+ hours a day).
I changed the case and power supply and decided not to upgrade my ram.

If you are in the US, yes for customer service. Otherwise, it just has an xbox huge cooler.

so you can safely disable your page file so it doesnt rape the SSD.

also its easier to get more ram from the getgo than to get it a few years down the road when there is less selection and supplies are dwindling.

I want to kick your ass for buying the 7700k but whatever at least it has a 1080ti in it. Looking to play some vrchat my nugget?

pcpartpicker.com/product/XZCrxr
Poorfag here, i bought this in december but i was forced to use the money for the other parts in a fucking emergency.

So, it's possible to use a ryzen apu to update the bios or it doesn't runs without an old ryzen? I don't want to buy a gpu now with retarded prices...

a gay old time

it is slowly making progress... but why not get an ultra wide display so you dont need to bother with a second one down the road?

Ah okay, I'm not too worried about that then, the ASUS card is about 1130 which is cheaper.

Do I need to buy fans or some shit? I have a CPU cooler there

I see what you're saying, I'll think about it and see if it's worth it

The 8700 whatever was out of stock.

Whats does it feel like now that gaming laptops and prebuilts are now cheaper than actually building a pc?

Microcenter will update the BIOS of the motherboard you choose for $15

Yes. You need casing fans. Your case might come with fans already so check that. And then decide if you need extra.

What's your budget user?

Also is the CPU difference that huge? I can always cancel it, its not out for delivery til monday.

Looks like my case comes with 3 already, that with the CPU cooler should be enough

Okay this is my final build

Is there any other concern? could I just buy this shit and build it without having to get anything else?

Tell me about GPUs

Should I even bother with one right now because I have two concerns. It's hard to find one because of miners and new cards being announced soon.

techradar.com/news/nvidia-turing-next-gen-graphics-cards-could-be-revealed-next-month

Drop the AIO and get a beefy Air cooler instead.
Swap your PSU for a seasonic one.

Wait it out.

>Drop the AIO and get a beefy Air cooler instead.
>Swap your PSU for a seasonic one.
What are your reasons? not saying you're wrong, just curious

if you can wait a month you can see the release date for the new architecture and decide then

If you can manage to snag one during the two minutes they're in stock a near msrp then go for it.
Either way, if you can wait then wait.

AIO is more trouble than it is worth and does about the same job as a good air cooler does. Unless you custom loop it is is not worth the money or risk.
Seasonic is the best PSU brand around and extremely reliable.

disgusting teeth

>Buy it anyways, lying to myself and pretending to relive the days of fun when I didn't have any responsibilities and could spend time however I wanted without feeling guilty about enjoying things

I can believe that, I have to look into Seasonic though, I never heard of that manufacturer

Call the manufacturer. Otherwise I hear microcenter will update BIOS for $15

Gaming laptops are dump because you can't upgrade the graphics card, which will be outdated relatively soon

Maybe downgrade on the gfx and go for an i5 8400?

Using it for CAD and engineering shit. Gib recs.

pcpartpicker.com/list/4vpLr6

>CAD and Engineering shit
>144hz
Is there a reason for it?

Gaming too

How do I know I wont get ripped off when buying a GPU?

That is fine

Check the MSRP

wouldn't you want a quadro if you are doing CAD?

>less warranty lifespan compared to just RMAing individual parts as they die
>prefabs like to cheap out on small things like additional memory slots or sata ports or psu leads
>prefabs like to use slightly older shit
>cheaper to ship and store everything in one box than it is to ship each component in its own package
>mobile platforms are not getting raped by crypto jew nigger faggots
>laptops are cheaper to ship than desktops

kind of wish i saw your post before splashing out on a Ryzen 1600 sytem last month but at the same time i really need the HDD capacity of a tower.

looks alright now but i still think you are getting jacked on the cooler and you shouldnt jew out on ram but its still a decent build if you have that kind of money.

as for GPU brand just get whatever is a good price that doesnt have many bad user reviews.

not that guy but getting a beefy heatsink type cooler is easier to install and less fussy about placement and case selection.

not a fan of that keyboard otherwise i wouldnt complain if it were my own machine. nice case selection btw.

Thanks for the tips guys, I'm pretty confident in the build now for the most part. I will probably buy everything except for the GPU and wait for a minute

Definitely not the CPU, retard.

Taichi looks like shit

It is, watch at 5:18
youtube.com/watch?v=vcqu-9Ejf60

To be fair the guy is also recommending the Pro4 and it's shit

The Fatal1ty B350 is decent though. Overclocks like it thinks it's an X370 board.

What CPU bottlenecks a 1080 ti the least?

7980XE

>Fatal1ty B350
Any idea if it supports the new ryzan/vega APU's out of the box, would hate to come back from microcenter and not be able to use the cpu because I need a cpu to update the bios

i7-970

not out of the box to my knowledge but the bios updates for it are out.

but you cant update the bios w/o a cpu so bit of a catch 22...

I know some retail motherboard boxes have "Supports Ryzen 2000 Series" stickers on them, guess ill just pick one of those to be safest

>the least
Dumb question. It's like you think that all CPUs bottleneck a 1080Ti, which is stupid.
Anything above and including an i5 8400 won't.

Bought a Ryzen 1600 and asus b350 strix mobo and 16gb Geil 3000mhz ddr4. It doesn't post and just gives me a yellow dram light, any ideas on how to fix this?

>including an i5 8400 won't.
[citation needed]

I5-8400 is gimped in simple words.

So I've gotten everything but a gpu, nvidia e-mailed me saying they had gtx 1060's for $299 but by the time I checked it they were out of stock. What cpu k should I get? Should I just wait for the new gpu's?

>CPU
I5-8600K or R5 1600.
>GPU
We all saw that deal, if they are still in stock buy it.
Otherwise wait for the new gen and maybe get a low end GPU.

I meant gpu not cpu, I'll keep checking my email I guess.

The GTX 1060s went out stock in literally 3 minutes, trust me, i had a bot checking and failed.

Not only miners but resellers and scalpers are also buying them.
Gamers rarely will get their hands on those deals.

Really? I hesitated and got to the payment page and didn't finish. :/ guess I'm sol

too bad you didnt try and just cancel right after if it went through and you werent serious about buying.

fyi some sites only finalize the order after the payment so it couldve already been sold while you were inputting payment info or reviewing order.

I'm serious about buying now, but I understand that they probably sell out while inputting payment.

what do you mean by "cpu k"? if you are talking about coolers check out the Arctic Freezer 33 CO.

My autocorrect is fucked, I meant "gpu".

Is my RAM the correct speed? Supposed to be 3000mhz

GPU refers to the graphics card. GPU is the Graphics Processing Unit

That ram is running at 2933MHz.

That's the bus speed. Bus speed is always lower.

It is close to 3000mhz. It is 2933mhz.

Also
>CR 2T
Are you sure that RAM is rated for 3000MHz?

So what else do I have to do ? or will it never reach 3000?

Poorfag here
was wondering what would be a nice mobo for AM3+
I have FX-8350 on a very shitty motherboard and with ddr4 ram prices being this high i cant really upgrade to AM4 or intel.

TLDR: good am3 mobo for fx8350?

It's crucials LPX 3000mhz so yes

turbofuture.com/computers/best-am3-plus-motherboards

>H115i Pro doesn't support TR4
Come on now

Just get the Enermaz cooler. It's the best AIO for TR

On some mobos 3000 MHz RAMs will be downgraded to 2933 MHz

Whats video card memory and do i need more than 3gb of it?

I'd highly recommend more than 3gb.