Linux.

>NT Kernel + """""Windows"""""
>XNU + """""macOS"""""
>Linux + """""Android"""""
>Linux + """""GNU"""""
*What* exactly makes Windows, Windows.
*What* exactly makes macOS, macOS.
*What* exactly makes Android, Android.
*What* is it that you call Windows without the NT Kernel or macOS without mach/XNU/freeBSD or Android without the Linux Kernel?

>NT kernel + Aero DE
Windows
>XNU + Aqua DE
macOS
>Linux + Android DE
Android
>Linux + GNU
???

Xerox Alto

Except GNU isn't OS. GNU is more like .net framework at most.

I get your point, the kernel is ultimately irrelevant to the resulting name of the os. Makes sense. The name of the OS is whatever the developers want it to be. But here's the problem: who IS the developers of the resulting product we call Linux? Honestly it's technically unsolvable, so GNU/Linux is the best term we have for what we typically call Linux.

>Linux + GNU
Literally fucking nothing. You can't use that as an OS. Linux + GNU(optional) + some package manager(optional) + some wm/de(optional) = distro_name. Distro is an OS, GNU + Linux isn't.

>Linux + GNU
systemd

it should be Linux + [your distro] = your distro

It's clearly Plasma/systemd/Linux/GNU

>Linux + GNU
nosoft

Arch/Ubuntu/Gentoo/Debian/etc

It should just be called GNU. They are the ones who originally decided to make a free software OS and found everything they needed to do that. No other OS gives a shit what the kernel is named.

Linux + fancy logo = distro name. GNU is neither mandatory nor necessary.

GNU is such an ugly name.

>GNU
>GNU is Not Unix
>defining go early yourself by what you aren't rather than what you are
It's how you set up yourself to fail.

>8chums spoiler girl
you had one job

It's not though. If we're going to name contributors, let's name ALL of them. Let's not nitpick.
Also, if we're going to go through the 'it's the developers' route then $DISTRO_NAME must be used when referring to it.

Linux is the best term we have for what we typically call Linux, you drone.

Ultimately, it's the company's/organization's right to name its product, no matter what this product is made of. You aren't calling bread "wheat + eggs + yeast", are you? And I'm not seeing GNU releasing any distros.

My Linux has no GNU. Fuck off commie trash.

>NT + [hierarchical control structure]
Windows

>XNU + [hierarchical control structure]
MacOS

>Linux + [hierarchical control structure]
Android

>Linux + [guy who endorses users' freedom]
N- NO! DO AS I SAY!!

What are you running and do you exist in a permanent furrowbrowed state due to not having any real working software?

Alpine Linux. It's not missing anything.

Show me how to run a computer with just GNU and Linux, nothing else. Operating systems are supposed to work on their own, right? I'll wait.

Alpine is not a GNU system, that's right. The logical problem is that you think the existences of Alpine turns the Linux kernel into a complete operating system.

Linux is just a kernel.

Linux + ? = Alpine Linux.

Show me how to run a computer with just Linux, nothing else. Operating systems are supposed to work on their own, right? I'll wait.

>FreeBSD
FreeBSD
>OpenBSD
OpenBSD
>DragonFlyBSD
DragonFlyBSD

Linux + Musl + OpenRC + Busybox + apk-tools = Alpine Linux

Linux is not an OS. A distro is an OS. Neither GNU, nor Linux, nor GNU/Linux are operating systems.

>all these freedom hating normalfags
I want my Sup Forums back.

Well, no. Because if it has eggs, it's a cake

GNU/Linux is a family of GNU based systems

>what is GuixSD

GNU is an optional component of many operating systems.

> Debian GNU/kFreeBSD = GNU/kFreeBSD
> Debian GNU/Hurd = GNU/Hurd
> Debian GNU/Linux = ???

BSD IS JUST THE KERNEL REEEEEEEEE
IT IS CALLED BSD/GNU

The GNU project named their OS GNU. Deal with it.

Proves my point even further - despite being developed by the GNU project it's named just guix system distribution, not GNU Linux guix. Because they have the right to name it whatever the fuck they want.

Unlike Linux, BSD is a complete system.

Fine by me. Doesn't give them any right to name other operating systems as "GNU/Linux", unless they develop them themsleves.

GNU/Linux.

It would be ungentlemanly to ask people to stop giving any credit to Linus Torvalds. He did write an important component of the system. We want to get credit for launching and sustaining the system's development, but this doesn't mean we should treat Linus the same way those who call the system “Linux” treat us. We strongly disagree with his political views, but we deal with that disagreement honorably and openly, rather than by trying to cut him out of the credit for his contribution to the system.

ITT: millenials who never have heard of GNU before 1991 when Linus wrote his kernel for it.

It is implied, the full name of Guix is GNU Guix.
Also there is no reason to include the kernel in the operating system name, no matter if we are talking about linux, hurd or microsoft nt. It's only one program

Yet they include package manager in the name, which is only one program as well. Why? Because they can name their OS whatever the fuck they want.

>the full name of Guix is GNU Guix
WRONG. GNU Guix is the name of the package manager, the name of the OS is Guix System Distribution.

Windows 10

So, whats a
>NT kernel + GNU
?

Windows 10.

""""""""""Linux"""""""""""""""""""" subsystem in Windows 10

Actually it's really simple. Linux + GNU = Unix, as both were started as FOSS replacements for Unix, just focusing on different parts.

/thread

If you want to use your *BSD system as a modern OS you have to install some gnu project packages. After that even you install one your *BSD become GNU/BSD as I lately call it GNU + BSD

Systemd Operating System

>Linux + SystemD + X + Firefox
>Oh yeah, and plus that other thing, what was it called again? I can't remember their name because they were so insignificant. Oh yeah that's right, "GNU" or something
>GNU/Linux
???

>Android DE
>DE
>D

what makes linux actually good is the kernel. GNU on it's own would be easily replaceable (see alpine) and is just meme trash equivalent to BSD and other useless shit with no hardware support. they had 20 years to work on HURD but it's still at turd. say whatever you want I'll keep calling it Linux like I did when I downloaded my first copy of Slackware 1.0 from the public library to floppy disks.