Anyone else unhappy with this? Feels like radiohead totally sold out. Srsly...

Anyone else unhappy with this? Feels like radiohead totally sold out. Srsly. I hate this society how much it despises experimental work and champions mediocrity.

get over yourself and go and listen to some experimental music if thats what you're loooking for buddy

extremely disappointed, we're certainly in the minority on this board.

I don't really like them so I thought it was fine.

it's their best since amnesiac idiet

it was bland just like the cover art... but not bad

the opposite of mediocrity is virtuosity, not novelty

Other than Burn The Witch I can't recall a single melody or tune and I've listened to the album 5 times now.

For an album so slow paced and folky the unintelligible singing almost seemed deliberate, which is frankly obnoxious.

Seemed like some straightforward folk tunes with a lot of echo effects and looping samples in the background, enough to trick people into thinking something amazing is happening.

I say this as a radiohead fan.

the sad true, but not with every song, ful stop, identikit and daydreamer are 9/10

how do you feel like they sold out? the songs structures are progressive as all hell and nothing on the album aside from burn the witch sounds remotely radio friendly....

people also forget that the majority of the songs on the album have been works in progress over many many years. so if they "sold out" with this one, then they really sold out back in 1995-2000 when they first started to work on these tracks

not a huge fan of the album thus far. but to say they sold out is a big stretch

Spectre should have been on it desu. Best radiohead song ever

the compositions on this album are some of the most beautifully subtle and textured they have done in their entire careers. make sure you listen to this with good headphones.

AMSP is up there in their discography, arguably above In Rainbows.

yeah i feel like something's mising, i can't tell you why exactly, ts just the way i feel, the present tense is fucking beautiful th

I agree that the music is bland, but come on that is actually a great album cover.

I don't see it. Watered glass, freckled space, striated topography, the hint of a reflection, a burned-out white hole. Lots of images, but none of it comes together for me. Taken as a whole it, first impressions looks a bit too awkward.

It's not supposed to be anything. It's deliberately abstract.

I can understand your view OP,

but it may help to say that I see, or rather hear/feel the album as "water"...like the name suggests. its "water" music in the sense of being almost a "stream" of the bands consciousness, or things floating around yorke's head, pretty progressions coming and going, snippets of random noise, tuning, frequencies, murky and undulating sonics fading in and out. half songs and buildups, things taken and left, left behind, but stopped at briefly. thoughts considered, feelings temporary....like taking a painting and smearing it together. not a "solid" construction built from the ground up or an immaculately carved sculpture with each ripple in the stone preserved for eternity. like I said, a stream, fragments, ideas and perceptions swirling and levitating before disappearing in a haze of evaporation, the only thing remaining simple notes ringing over the eternal space softly before fading

>It's not supposed to be anything

I'm not a fan of the big orchestral string arrangements. It makes sense for a Bond theme but applied to the album it just comes off as corny. Lots of killer sequences in the album though, Ful Stop is fucking amazing

It's a bad attempt to recreate the Kid A feel, getting overblown by RYM and Sup Forums
5/10

hey what lake is this im like pretty sure its mono lake but idk

I expected it to be dogshit after all the mediocre releases this year (im still burned by anco) but this pleasantly surprised me
Its not their best but it was pretty great, honestly they'll never top Kid A and its fine if they dont

you confusing subtlety for soft vocal and echo effects on simple melodies

"how much it despises experimental work"
>implying Radiohead are bleeding-edge experimental

"and champions mediocrity"
>implying Radiohead haven't been one of the most commercially successful acts in their genre up until now

Kid A was a #1 record, mate. Idea that they made this pivot to meet commercial demand is ridic

Selling out doesn't mean making something you don't like. None of the songs would ever be played on top 40 radio and aren't trying to appeal to the kind of people who listen to that stuff. If they did sell out with this album they did an awful job at it because this album doesn't appeal to the average listener in any capacity.

Bad taste general? Is this one of those threads where we pretend a 10/10 album is bad?

Nothing is truly abstracted from "things." Abstraction is deconstruction: bringing this to focus by removing the contextual that.

But if you wish to judge it as "just appearances" then it kind of has to survive the immediate. For me it doesn't. In fact among abstract album covers I wouldn't even place it in the top 50% (although memory does bias towards the memorable).

>Feels like radiohead totally sold out
This isn't any more or less mainstream then anything they've put out after Amnesiac. How the fuck did they "sell out"?

>I can't recall a single melody or tun
Because it's not a pop album you faggot. It's about the meticulously crafted compositions, not about whether or not you can hum the tunes. You didn't remember melodies and tunes from Kid A the first day you heard it either.

kys my boy

I don't like how the vocals are mixed.

>what is opinions?
kys

I fail to see how this is a sell out record. It's like a more abstract, layered In Rainbows. Considering I didn't know where else the band could go after that, AMSP actually surprised me. Turns out there's some life left in this sound.

>band makes same music they've made for 15+ years
>sold out

Ok lad

>completely ignores all the textural synthesis and sample manipulation buzzing around each track

Get some good headphones, my man. This album is truly a great achievement in sound design.

Popular =/= Pop music

Album is great, I feel people on this board go too far out of their way to try and dislike things.

>Srsly. I hate this society how much it despises experimental work and champions mediocrity.

>Popular =/= Pop music
You dont even deserve to listen to music.

easy listening music for a new generation of dadrockers
do you like the subtlety of amsp? listen to any talk talk record or beck's morning phase and realize the latest radiohead album is actually mediocre as fuck

Hey OP!

Dreaaaaameeeeers.
They neeeever leaaaaarn
They neeeeeeeeever learn.

faggot

Holy shit, I heard Ful Stop 3 times already, but it just now hit me. That song is GOAT

gay, but i read the whole thing

That was just a lie, just a lie, just a lie

>typing 'kys'
Honestly I will even buy you the rope

shut the fuck up faggot.

You wanted a 2deep4u album, well too bad, here is some glorious art rock with psychedelic folk and flawless production.

Got a DL link?

Sold out? Sounds like a normal Radiohead album to me with facile melodies and dressed up arrangements

decks dark though

>That bass on Ful Stop

The Radiohead is the same, you just grew up.

It's ~10 dollars wtf is wrong with you. Buy the damn album.

I don't like Radiohead but thought it was fine. Might listen to it some time again.

>All these contrarians trying their hardest to hate this album
If a slightly more underground alt rock band made this, you'd hail it as a masterpiece.

severely underrated comment.
Afterall radiohead are such a behemoth of a band why would they ever need to sell out?

Best part is 5:30 - 5:46 on daydreaming

fucking this, bunch of edgy fuckers

That's the fucking point. It would be a career high album for anyone else but it's clearly a second-tier Radiohead album. Honestly shocked by the Sup Forums love. Some people really go hard for string arrangements, twinkling pianos, & acoustic guitars with basic atmospherics in 2016, I guess. They're pretty & I like the album, but I expected more. Roughly the same rank in their discography as TKOL and TKOL was more innovative.

If you didn't expect Radiohead to make a mellow record at some point I don't even know what to say to you. Im just happy it's not a generic pile of shit like Ghost Stories.

i really love it, but saying that it was exactly what i was hoping for. rich textures, strings, choirs, dark etc., but obviously others were wanting something else and their expectations were not met. they've definitely not sold out - amsp certainly isn't entry level music or something you're likely to hear on the radio, and it still has quite a lot of new fusions of different genres and experimentation throughout.

i know let down i'd feel if it wasn't exactly what i was hoping for, so it's a shame you don't like it ):

I loved it too, strong 8.5-9/10.

But it really was missing a fast paced song ala In Rainbows.

Why would an alt rock band make this?

BROKEN HEARTS
MAKE IT RAIN

personal fave

This isn't radio friendly at all.

4/10 album

Radiohead's not great at making non-melodic music most of the time.

Actually right, though, many people don't have time to develop their taste in music. There's barely any 60 year olds who have gone further than the Beatles if you think of it. That's what popularity is about.

>Experimental =/= auto good
>Accessibility =/= auto bad

Almost every song on Kid A has a very distinct melody. Idioteque has little fragments that were stuck in my head all day after first hearing it

Sometimes I wonder if the people who call TKOL "innovative" have ever heard a Can or Talking Heads record. That's not to say it's bad or that it can't be enjoyed alongside those albums but it's certainly not innovative. Listening to Radiohead for innovation is a fool's errand - what they're actually good at is taking left of center styles and distilling them into a more accessible form. Case in point, TKOL is a more digestible Krautrock album than any record of the holy Can trilogy, even Ege Bamyasi. Having said this, AMSP feels like something of a slight but conscious move away from that distilled songwriting style, and it's layering and textures that handle the heavy lifting this time. Instead of Can and Talking Heads it seems like they're trying to tango with Talk Talk or Stereolab now, and just like TKOL it sounds like an easier version of those bands. Kudos to harmonizing the orchestra and electronic elements this well, but by that metric kudos on TKOL's loops and polyrhythms. They're making good music here, just not particularly innovative music.

Yeah, yeah Scaruffi, this is a very tired point. I meant innovative as a step forward in their own sound and frankly they use polyrhythms differently on TKOL than a lot of other rhythm experimental bands, including Talking Heads. No, they weren't doing anything wholly new in music. Radiohead have invented very little, we've all heard of Can, etc, etc, etc

ITT: Radiohead """"fans"""" pretend that this album is not their best since Kid A

Radiohead's "experimentation" is awful most of the time, though. If you want genuine experimentation, listen to Tarentel or something.

T. Avant teen

Pot calling the kettle black?

It's between 7/10 and 8/10 to me.

Im not a Avant teen in the slightest. If anything im a poptimist

that's even worse

Thanks for the clarification. Looks like you're just a disgusting pleb, then.

>tfw too pleb for the album
I can see how it might be good, but it's just 2subtle4me. I wouldn't mind except that everybody is talking about how great it is despite the fact that it feels like the least immediately accessible thing they've ever released. Makes me feel like the biggest pleb in the world.

THISSSSS DANCEEEEEE
THIIIIISSSS DANCEEEE
IS LIKE A WEAAAPOOONN

>> 64747284

Who knew after all this time what Radiohead fans really wanted was a spacier version of the baroque/chamber pop people have been making for literally half a century.

(you)

kek this user got fucking rekt

Lol, only slightly

I never claimed I was not

Kid A > The King of Limbs = Amnesiac > In Rainbows > OK Computer > = > > HTTT > A Moon Shaped Pool > The Bends > Pablo Honey

Even so, I don't see how TKOL is that much more "innovative" than AMSP. The biggest difference there is they came upfront with it - they took a shot at experimenting with loops, programming, and polyrhythms. Ok, that's laid out for all to see but AMSP is not that obvious about its differences. String sections are nothing new to the band but I can't name one of their past implementations as intense as Burn The Witch or The Numbers, or as dreamlike as Glass Eyes or Tinker Tailor. The chorus accompaniment on Decks Dark and Present Tense are also something for the band. And then there's Daydreaming which is probably where the harmonization of the orchestral and the electronic is at its most hypnotic. I feel like it's a natural step from the more abstract stylings of TKOL like Feral or, at least thematically, Seperator. It's just that a much deeper synergization of elements the band has tinkered with before are now fleshed out far more than they ever have been, to the point where it almost could be considered new. And it's not like TKOL's ideas are completely forgotten either - songs like Daydreaming and Present Tense feature vocal loops and True Love Waits has polyrhythmic pianos.

>radiohead
>10/10 album
pick one

i don't like folk music

i'm sorry; i don't like post-orchestral folk music

>Broken hearts make it rain
>All the good times

im sorry - i don't like chamber post rock ambient music

AMSP is objectively fucking boring and not as interesting as any of their other albums. Y'all are trying to fill your vacant lives with a musical savior.

>objectively
lol :ok_hand:

the album is boring. nothing interesting happens and Thoms melodies are boring. been down hill since in rainbows

I think AMSP is better than IR but it's certainly debatable. IR's an all around tighter, more immediate album but AMSP is more expansive and ethereal. It all comes down to preference.

this is kind of true. I think of Radiohead as their own thing. TKOL isn't good because it's experimental, it's good because it's a unique Radiohead album with songs which communicate interesting things, and have interesting production.

The new album is good for its own reasons. Everyone is overanxious to make a point instead of listening to it I Think. There are some good moments but generally I think most people agree that TKOL and AMSP are a little less exciting for whatever reason.

Too much talk, not enough listening if you ask me.